Ansar Khan: Wings believe they can re-sign Green

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
yes, as much as they suck, they are under contract that will be hard to move.
we are close to finally getting out from under them. Kronwall's finally expires this season, and ericsson/daley both expire next season. But don't worry we will sign green for 3 years.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
we are close to finally getting out from under them. Kronwall's finally expires this season, and ericsson/daley both expire next season. But don't worry we will sign green for 3 years.
exactly my point. how about we not sign an aging vet and give some kids a try. just my 2 cents

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Can't even respect Green anymore, willing to go to the bottom feeder, instead of chasing the Cup. Character much?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
exactly my point. how about we not sign an aging vet and give some kids a try. just my 2 cents
We have room for one kid from day 1 without any extra moves. Any injuries and a 2nd kid gets his chance. Daley, Green and Jensen would all be on tradeable contracts with Kronner/E as constant LTIR risks.
There’s also a real possibility none of the kids even look ready. ”Give them a chance” sounds nice until they play a few games and look bad and people start piling on them.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I’m fine with a 2 year deal. We can ease hicketts into the lineup. Hronek clearly isn’t ready yet but maybe by the TDL he will be.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I see this as a bigger issue with the forwards. Currently, we have 1 dman with more than 2 years of term on the roster.
All of which have a NTC/NMC except for Jensen. I don't see Kenny moving any of them to give a kid a chance. At least with Green not signed 1 of them gets to play full time. I'm fine with one kid playing full time.

Reactions: shanman

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
All of which have a NTC/NMC except for Jensen. I don't see Kenny moving any of them to give a kid a chance. At least with Green not signed 1 of them gets to play full time. I'm fine with one kid playing full time.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see but I’m guessing there will be ample opportunity for the kids. Like I said, nothing I proposed is a stretch and Holland’s track record is that where he loads the roster then integrates the kids throughout the season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess we’ll have to wait and see but I’m guessing there will be ample opportunity for the kids. Like I said, nothing I proposed is a stretch and Holland’s track record is that where he loads the roster then integrates the kids throughout the season.

He can do that on D, he won't be able to do it up front. I seriously doubt our D is as healthy this year, I think the kids will get looks.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Can't even respect Green anymore, willing to go to the bottom feeder, instead of chasing the Cup. Character much?

He was willing to go a contender and chase the cup at the deadline, unfortunately the injury occurred.
He knows that if he signs here there will be a trade deadline and there will be chances to chase that cup. For now, it sounds like he's prioritizing the happiness and comfort of his family when making this decision - Some people might suggest that is a greater display of character than chasing a shiny trophy, but to each their own, I mean that is a BIG trophy and he can always find another family.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I find it difficult to believe there are posters who truly expect Hronek and Cholowski to contribute in the near term but want to sign Green to a multi year deal. Green has been a 35ish point d-man for the past 5 years. He'll be 33 years old at the start of the season. This is yet another bad idea. You'd think Holland would have learned from Howard, Abby and Helm's deals, but nope. We missed out on a shot to trade him last trade deadline and that sucks, I just don't see the need to sign a guy who isn't really going to add much of anything to a multi-year deal. If it has to happen it absolutely should not be for more than 2 years and there should be no NMC or NTC given. If Hronek and Cholowski are actually quality dmen they should have nothing blocking them from playing time in Detroit.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He can do that on D, he won't be able to do it up front. I seriously doubt our D is as healthy this year, I think the kids will get looks.

Agreed. Signing even one of Vanek or Val pretty much guarantees at least 2 of Svechnikov, Zadina and Rasmussen won’t be on the team.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
It also could push for a trade. You can lose 2 young forwards for a D. And you already have replacements.
This is what I’m hoping. AA/nyquist +svech+Jensen for Faulk makes total sense to me.

I’m not totally sure but doesn’t faulks NTC kick in July 1st?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is what I’m hoping. AA/nyquist +svech+Jensen for Faulk makes total sense to me.

That should at least lower the demand. Because Faulk has power then to select a team. And nearer UFA he goes, the less the value is.

More likely, I see a trade for him at next summer, because then we could negotiate the extension ready. That has huge effect on his value. It could be stupid to take risk for a 2-year guy and then lose him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Whether any of us think it's realistic or not, the sense I got from the Canes board is that Carolina wants a 1st round pick plus a decent roster player for Faulk.

I think it's safe to say that the pieces you listed won't get it done.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Whether any of us think it's realistic or not, the sense I got from the Canes board is that Carolina wants a 1st round pick plus a decent roster player for Faulk.

I think it's safe to say that the pieces you listed won't get it done.
Maybe to get around that we can take back darling with that, and ship out Howard for an asset.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If we had some young defenders ready to go, I'd feel differently. But as it sits today, Green is a good defender who can help distribute the puck to our young forwards. They aren't going to develop watching DeKeyser chip it off the glass and hustle for his shift change every 40 seconds.

Green is the one veteran signing I think is really smart for the long-term success of the team.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Red Wings must get defensive in their thinking

“We’re going to have Brian Lashoff as a captain and (Dylan) Mclrath as a veteran,” Holland said.

“And then we are looking between (Libor) Sulak, (Joe) Hicketts, (Vili) Saarijarvi, (Filip) Hronek and (Dennis) Cholowski."

“I’m planning on one of those guys is going to be in Detroit, and the rest of those guys will be playing regularly in Grand Rapids."

“We are creating opportunity.”

Reactions: SirloinUB

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
There's going to be plenty of opportunities with our walking wounded defensemen.
Last year, with exactly the same group of defenseman (except frequent scratch Ouellet), defensemen called up from Grand Rapids played a grand total of 6 NHL games.

Six games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad