Ansar Khan: Wings believe they can re-sign Green

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Last year, with exactly the same group of defenseman (except frequent scratch Ouellet), defensemen called up from Grand Rapids played a grand total of 6 NHL games.

Six games.
Ericsson and Kronwall missed a combined 4 games, what's the likelihood of that happening again?

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Ericsson and Kronwall missed a combined 4 games, what's the likelihood of that happening again?
and if before the season had started and i had said what was the likelihood of kronwall and ericsson missing 4 games, people would prob say the same thing. You never know.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Last year, with exactly the same group of defenseman (except frequent scratch Ouellet), defensemen called up from Grand Rapids played a grand total of 6 NHL games.

Six games.
We were crazy healthy and only Hronek was maybe playing at a level where call-ups made sense.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
seriously why? We all agree our defense wasn't good enough last year, yet we are this effing close to bringing back green and having the same damn defense as last season, except one year older for everyone?

Need another Zadina level prospect.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If we had some young defenders ready to go, I'd feel differently. But as it sits today, Green is a good defender who can help distribute the puck to our young forwards. They aren't going to develop watching DeKeyser chip it off the glass and hustle for his shift change every 40 seconds.

Green is the one veteran signing I think is really smart for the long-term success of the team.
Then get the work ethic to match the skill set.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
and if before the season had started and i had said what was the likelihood of kronwall and ericsson missing 4 games, people would prob say the same thing. You never know.
True we don't know, but what we do know is the 2 prior seasons they averaged a combined ~25 games missed in each. They're old, injury prone (read: always ailing hip/knee) players that will likely miss time.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Six games.

That was way out of the norm for the Red Wings. They only lost 42 man games on the blue line, and none of the injuries ever overlapped. Also, technically they had 8 Dmen on the NHL roster. They also had no cap space to recall a dman from GR unless a player other than Franzen went on LTIR.

The season prior, the blueline lost closer to 200. I'm sure next season it will be somewhere between the two.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
That was way out of the norm for the Red Wings. They only lost 42 man games on the blue line, and none of the injuries ever overlapped. Also, technically they had 8 Dmen on the NHL roster. They also had no cap space to recall a dman from GR unless a player other than Franzen went on LTIR.

The season prior, the blueline lost closer to 200. I'm sure next season it will be somewhere between the two.

You shouldn't be rebuilding and developing based on a hope that players will get injured.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Then rephrase it as follows: You shouldn't only allow youth into the lineup when one or more of an overabundance of pedestrian veteran players get hurt.
They aren't.

One of Hronek and Sulak will be up. Sulak needs to play the North American game.

Cholowski needs to play some professional hockey before I think he should be injected into the lineup.

Hicketts needs to play a more consistent game and people need to not get worked up over a nice shass and 2 hits in 7 seconds in the preseason.

Kronwall is done after the year and big E in 2. I actually see it the opposite of jewels, how can people not see the opportunity opening up for our young defenders in the next couple years?

We should have about 3-4 rookies on the team to start the year, you want 6 or 7?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Then rephrase it as follows: You shouldn't only allow youth into the lineup when one or more of an overabundance of pedestrian veteran players get hurt.

Seems pointless to me as I was never referring to "how to rebuild". I was merely responding to the post regarding the remarkably low number of call ups from GR and how only 6 games isn't exactly common for this team, and that we should expect to see more this next season. Nowhere did I say that was the only hope those poor kids were going to have to get NHL playing time or that it was the plan for the rebuild.

Holland has said numerous times that at least one young D is going to be on the team next season, and he's made room by cutting bait on Ouellet. Given that his past mantra has always been to not promote kids unless they have a regular role, or run out of minor league options, I'm sure that they'll find a way to give that guy more playing time than just sitting in the press box waiting for an injury. It's likely that Jensen gets relegated to #7 on the depth chart and Kronwall gets a more part time role in tune with his age, much lower salary and deteriorating ability.

But to make everyone happy:

yOu ShOuLdN't OnLy AlLoW yOuTh InTo ThE lInEuP wHeN oNe Or MoRe Of An OvErAbUnDaNcE oF pEdEsTrIaN vEtErAn PlAyErS gEt HuRt.

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
I'm kind of whatever on Hicketts. Rooting for him for sure, since guys his size making it in the NHL are kind of underdog stories, but I don't see him being more than a third pairing PP guy.

I'd love to see Hronek make it after his really good rookie year and the fact that he's my #2 prospect in the system right now. But if the power play is gonna feature the likes of Green, Kronwall, and maybe Hicketts, then Hronek should go back to the A and work on being the top offensive blueliner there.

Cholowski needs to get some pro experience and I don't expect him on the team unless he really crushes it in training camp. Fortunately he's bulked up since draft day and is 6'1, 195 according to reports from development camp. I think he might actually have a higher ceiling than Hronek, but he needs to prove himself in a pro league first.

Sulak is a wild card given his age and lack of NA experience. Maybe he'd be an okay option as a 7th D, since he's done growing and isn't likely to develop too much more, so not playing everyday would't stunt his development too much. I fully expect him to start the year in GR though.

All in all I expect it to come down to Hronek v. Hicketts in training camp with the loser of that battle being the first injury call up. Sulak probably gets a look later in the year and depending on how he does maybe they look to give Jensen the XO treatment.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
True we don't know, but what we do know is the 2 prior seasons they averaged a combined ~25 games missed in each. They're old, injury prone (read: always ailing hip/knee) players that will likely miss time.
i wouldn't doubt that they are feeding off our desire to see them miss games. It prob makes them stronger out of spite haha.

Reactions: Ezekial

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They aren't.

One of Hronek and Sulak will be up. Sulak needs to play the North American game.

Cholowski needs to play some professional hockey before I think he should be injected into the lineup.

Hicketts needs to play a more consistent game and people need to not get worked up over a nice shass and 2 hits in 7 seconds in the preseason.

Kronwall is done after the year and big E in 2. I actually see it the opposite of jewels, how can people not see the opportunity opening up for our young defenders in the next couple years?

We should have about 3-4 rookies on the team to start the year, you want 6 or 7?
Where are you getting 3-4? Rasmussen is a yes, Hronek is a maybe, everybody else is TBD (which usually means no).

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Where are you getting 3-4? Rasmussen is a yes, Hronek is a maybe, everybody else is TBD (which usually means no).
Rasmussen, Zadina, one of Hronek/Sulak, and possibly Svechnikov are easy candidates

Not everyone is a pessimist.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Holland said 3-4 new players that weren't here at the beginning of 2017 (paraphrase) so I'd count Ber2Z as one

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'd rather reach that with playing one of hronek/cholo from the start of the season.

I'd rather not stunt the development of either of those guys bringing them up and sticking them assignments they're not ready for so they can get shelled nightly.

Reactions: NickH8

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd rather not stunt the development of either of those guys bringing them up and sticking them assignments they're not ready for so they can get shelled nightly.

Pretty much. This is still a tank team WITH Green. And he's one of the only guys we can reliably count on to distribute the puck from the blueline. Take that away and it's going to be a damn mess with the transition.

I've been critical of the Wings clutching on to aging vets for years, but this isn't the hill to die on regarding that. Vanek is that hill.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

If that happened, it would be on Blashill. If either of these guys are ready to take an NHL role, they need to play sooner rather than later. Even if they're the #6 defenseman playing sheltered minutes and only getting into tougher situations as they progress. We don't have the luxury of hiding guys in the minors for 6 years, we need to see what these kids have much sooner than in previous years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad