Ansar Khan: Wings believe they can re-sign Green

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
seriously why? We all agree our defense wasn't good enough last year, yet we are this effing close to bringing back green and having the same damn defense as last season, except one year older for everyone?

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Like I said in the other thread, a 2 year deal is not the end of the world (so much better than 3), can easily be moved if he plays well... If he is healthy, he is still a very solid player
If he is healthy, he is still a player who takes shifts off, and doesn't play any defense. If work ethic and team play is the mantra for the youth, I'd rather not bring back another veteran who doesn't have to play by the same rules.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
If he is healthy, he is still a player who takes shifts off, and doesn't play any defense. If work ethic and team play is the mantra for the youth, I'd rather not bring back another veteran who doesn't have to play by the same rules.
thank you, freaking exactly. How did this "solid player" do for us last year? 33 points, minus 14 plus/minus, and part of one of the worst defenses in the league. hard pass for me. We all laughed at JJ and the pens, yet we prob will sign green for 3 years at more AAV.

Oh and quick edit: id rather just give hicketts a shot to show something. Small sample size, but in his 5 games he had 3 assists and was a plus 5.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I’m not ready to throw a young defender into a top 4 role with PP time. Signing Green keeps the status quo (ensuring a good draft pick) and allows proper development of the young D

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
seriously why? We all agree our defense wasn't good enough last year, yet we are this effing close to bringing back green and having the same damn defense as last season, except one year older for everyone?

Green was literally the only dman who could move the puck at a level above a 6th dman in the NHL. Do you want the wings to be good next season? I dont, they need to keep going with the rebuild and stay the course, Green isnt good enough to drag the team up, but hes good enough to give the puck to the young forwards on the team so they can continue to develop.

would rather just play the kids tbh

Theyre going to add a kid to the defense, maybe 2 already and are adding Rasmussen and Zadina most likely. I would rather have Green here letting Zadina have some help on the PP and develop. Theyre adding kids, theyre just not all being thrown into the fire at once

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Oh and quick edit: id rather just give hicketts a shot to show something. Small sample size, but in his 5 games he had 3 assists and was a plus 5.
I just want to remind everyone that within that small sample size he had 1 game where he had an assist and was +3. That game by Hicketts was probably the worst game a player has ever played in the NHL.

And to answer any of the "why" questions. The answer is simple and the same as always: because it makes us a better at hockey than the alternatives.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not ready to throw a young defender into a top 4 role with PP time. Signing Green keeps the status quo (ensuring a good draft pick) and allows proper development of the young D
it is really a sign of what is wrong with this team that with our other 5 defenders who make almost 18 million combined, we are worried about our top 4 roles still with a guy like mike green.

Daley has some experience with pittsburgh on the PP, let him captain PP1 this year.
Kronwall played crapton on the shit PP we had last year, why not let him on PP2 if we dont have faith in any of the youngsters we might bring up.

Then for our pairings it is simple with ddk-daley first pairing, then some combination of kronwall/jensen/ericsson/hickets next i guess. Although if it were up to me i would trade jensen for a mid pick and go with kronwall and ericsson both being paired with a youngster like hicketts and hronek.

Yeah it might get beat up a bit, but so be it. We've seen the shit show that is a Green led defense.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Green was literally the only dman who could move the puck at a level above a 6th dman in the NHL. Do you want the wings to be good next season? I dont, they need to keep going with the rebuild and stay the course, Green isnt good enough to drag the team up, but hes good enough to give the puck to the young forwards on the team so they can continue to develop.

Theyre going to add a kid to the defense, maybe 2 already and are adding Rasmussen and Zadina most likely. I would rather have Green here letting Zadina have some help on the PP and develop. Theyre adding kids, theyre just not all being thrown into the fire at once

For the kids thing, if they add green barring a Holland defense trade, there really won't be any room for kid to have meaningful minutes on defense until someone gets injury-which isn't a given. We all thought kronwall would be done last year, but then he busted out a full year.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

where do they fit? im counting the following...
DDK-Green
Kronwall-Daley
Big Rig-Jensen

how do we fit 1 let alone 2 kids? unless you mean let the kids sit in the pressbox?

Reactions: shanman

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
DDK-Green
Kronwall-Daley
Big Rig-Jensen

how do we fit 1 let alone 2 kids? unless you mean let the kids sit in the pressbox?
only thing that would give me hope is that green misses at least 10 games a year, so i guess there is that. It is weird the idea that we will throw too many rookies in there at once, when we still have a lot of veterans. Even if we moved out a guy like jensen and didn't resign green, we could still have a first pairing of veterans in ddk/daley, then have a veteran paired with each of the youngsters. Don't think that is too crazy. Shitkowski is the 7th d and sits his ass up in cabana all year.

Even forwards will be similar to that. more than likely we will start the season with good amount of veterans in z, nyquist, nelson, abby, LGD, and helm. So that is an average of 1.5 vet per line, which is ok imo for a team that should be rebuilding. PLus larkin is going into his 4th season, so really shouldn't count as a rookie/youngster like the rest.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Closest to NHL ready is probably Hronek and another great year in the AHL would be ideal.... Hicketts I see as a 7th dman

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
If we didnt all ready have ericson and kronwall I'd be happy to have green daley and DDK as our 3 veteran defenseman to play with the kids.

But since we do, dont re sign green. I love the guy but 4 spots are taken by vets all ready.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
hell id rather see Sulak get a shot with some minutes than Re-signing green.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Trade Jensen, trade or buy out E, sign green and trade for Faulk

Daley- green
Dekeyser-Faulk
Kronwall- Hronek

Use witkowski as a 7th d/14th forward and any injury just call up hickets to play. I’m sure one of those guys is gonna be hurt basically at all time. No back to backs for kronwall either. Hickets would get at least 40 games. Daley can be moved at the deadline potentially

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
DDK-Green
Kronwall-Daley
Big Rig-Jensen

Read yesterday in an article that the wings might keep 8 D if 2 young guys impress but at least one is the likely scenario. I'm sure if a kid forced their hand he would get played over Jensen, he didnt get a shot til he was like 27, I dont think the org sees him as irreplaceable. The combo of Kronwall and Green likely misses at lest 20 gmes this year.

So if I were to guess, at least one makes it outta camp and one more gets 20ish games as a call up. Theres definitely room for one kid on D, with one more getting some games. Couple that with 2 junior eligible forwards making it and I doubt the wings want too many more rookies in the line up

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Who cares. The kids need to outplay Jensen, Kronwall, Ericsson way before they start thinking about taking Green’s job.

Green PP1, Hronek PP2 would be nice.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I just want to remind everyone that within that small sample size he had 1 game where he had an assist and was +3. That game by Hicketts was probably the worst game a player has ever played in the NHL.

And to answer any of the "why" questions. The answer is simple and the same as always: because it makes us a better at hockey than the alternatives.
Wtf???

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Who cares. The kids need to outplay Jensen, Kronwall, Ericsson way before they start thinking about taking Green’s job.

Green PP1, Hronek PP2 would be nice.
In 6 games in the regukar season and 4 in the preseason, Hicketts did precisely that. None of the others have been afforded an opportunity yet.

Reactions: Sparty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad