Ansar Khan: Wings believe they can re-sign Green

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
Green had a pretty serious neck injury. A 2 year deal is just too risky especially @ 5 million. Best case scenario is he helps us get a couple more points to worsen our draft position

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
In 6 games in the regukar season and 4 in the preseason, Hicketts did precisely that. None of the others have been afforded an opportunity yet.
Then he went to the AHL and played poorly most of the season.

Hicketts isn't going to be anything more than a bottom pairing guy who can PP imo. Green, while I'd rather just move on and not sign any D, isn't the problem. It's the 5 bottom pair D we have.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I think that retaining Green for another season or two may not be a bad idea. He's not that old and is the best offensive d-man on our team. With all these promising young forwards up front, you need someone feeding them from the back end. Also I think it's useful having experienced players like him when the likes of Cholowski and Hronek are supposed to be up soon.

Reactions: SirloinUB

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
The more I think about it, the more I think that retaining Green for another season or two may not be a bad idea. He's not that old and is the best offensive d-man on our team. With all these promising young forwards up front, you need someone feeding them from the back end. Also I think it's useful having experienced players like him when the likes of Cholowski and Hronek are supposed to be up soon.
a soon to be 33year old coming off a pretty serious neck injury isn't exactly a great idea either. As for experienced players like him, i guess DDK, daley, kronwall, ericsson, and jensen don't count as experienced with their average combined age of 32 haha? 3 year deal would be asanine, and only way im fine with a 2 year deal is if we move both jensen and daley.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
a soon to be 33year old coming off a pretty serious neck injury isn't exactly a great idea either. As for experienced players like him, i guess DDK, daley, kronwall, ericsson, and jensen don't count as experienced with their average combined age of 32 haha? 3 year deal would be asanine, and only way im fine with a 2 year deal is if we move both jensen and daley.

I think a better option is for Kronwall and Ericsson to retire, but that's probably not happening.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I think a better option is for Kronwall and Ericsson to retire, but that's probably not happening.
kronwall would just LTIR, but i get the idea. Thought that last year, but then he busted out his full season on us.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
where do they fit? im counting the following...
DDK-Green
Kronwall-Daley
Big Rig-Jensen

how do we fit 1 let alone 2 kids? unless you mean let the kids sit in the pressbox?

Easy.

Kronwall could be a part time player, Jensen could be pushed to the 7 spot. Other injuries will happen. Depending on the contract, Green could be traded.

Lots of opportunity for a kid or two.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Easy.

Kronwall could be a part time player, Jensen could be pushed to the 7 spot. Other injuries will happen. Depending on the contract, Green could be traded.

Lots of opportunity for a kid or two.
ok but do you think that can realistically happen? I don't see it with as much Blashill and now Disco Dan rely on vets.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
In the big picture signing Green for 2 years is very insignificant. Same goes for Flippula. At the very least they are TDL assets

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
In the big picture signing Green for 2 years is very insignificant. Same goes for Flippula. At the very least they are TDL assets
Maybe. Maybe not. Nothing to say green doesn't have a recurrence of that neck injury and then has no value. Filps would be very limited as is.

Do you know what is almost an easier/more surefire way to bring in incoming assets? Using cap space wisely. Leave that space free to take other team's bad contracts when they need to dump it, at a cost obviously. A great example right now would be the jets and mason. They need to dump that contract to resign some of their guys. Take that contract in for a draft pick. Continue that thought while we leave space open and play younger guys instead of loading up on vets like green and filps, and just hoping for the best come deadline that others will want our poorly performing players.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
ok but do you think that can realistically happen? I don't see it with as much Blashill and now Disco Dan rely on vets.

Was anything I proposed that much of a stretch? Furthermore, we don’t even need all of these events to happen, just one or two.

Kronwall has battled injuries/wear on his body for years and is another year older.
We have explored trade Green previously, depending on contract and prospect development this should almost be expected.
While Blash seems to trust Jensen he is still clearly a depth player and cheap player until the kids are ready.
I think it’s pretty realistic that injuries happen no?

Look, just because we aren’t reserving a spot for these kids doesn’t mean there won’t be plenty of opportunity. How many prospects have we had over the years not have a spot at the start of training camp yet stole one before the end of season?

Just off the top of my head I can think of bertuzzi, AA, Mantha, Nyquist and Tatar all startinh seasons on the outside looking in before stealing a spot. Sure they were forwards but there is plenty of precedent for kids to steal jobs mid season with this organization.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Was anything I proposed that much of a stretch? Furthermore, we don’t even need all of these events to happen, just one or two.

Kronwall has battled injuries/wear on his body for years and is another year older.
We have explored trade Green previously, depending on contract and prospect development this should almost be expected.
While Blash seems to trust Jensen he is still clearly a depth player and cheap player until the kids are ready.
I think it’s pretty realistic that injuries happen no?

Look, just because we aren’t reserving a spot for these kids doesn’t mean there won’t be plenty of opportunity. How many prospects have we had over the years not have a spot at the start of training camp yet stole one before the end of season?

Just off the top of my head I can think of bertuzzi, AA, Mantha, Nyquist and Tatar all startinh seasons on the outside looking in before stealing a spot. Sure they were forwards but there is plenty of precedent for kids to steal jobs mid season with this organization.
My point is having to wait for an injury or all of a sudden one of the vets gets half the playing time does not mean plenty of opportunity. at least imo. When was the last time a kid actually took a full time spot from a vet mid season? It doesn't happen much if at all. I'm just saying, I would like to see a kid get an opportunity to play at the start of the season rather than signing a vet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And trade AA+Svechnikov+Dekeyser for Faulk. Then we have righties in every pair:

Daley - Faulk
Ericsson - Green
Kronwall - Jensen
(Hicketts, Witkowski, or kid for injuries)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Maybe. Maybe not. Nothing to say green doesn't have a recurrence of that neck injury and then has no value. Filps would be very limited as is.

Do you know what is almost an easier/more surefire way to bring in incoming assets? Using cap space wisely. Leave that space free to take other team's bad contracts when they need to dump it, at a cost obviously. A great example right now would be the jets and mason. They need to dump that contract to resign some of their guys. Take that contract in for a draft pick. Continue that thought while we leave space open and play younger guys instead of loading up on vets like green and filps, and just hoping for the best come deadline that others will want our poorly performing players.
With our goaltending the way it is, you want to add Mason? Like.. even assuming CBJ is so desperate that they give a pick to get rid of him, are you only thinking short, short term? Wings need to plan for the long term.

We ain't gonna start a Larsson/Petruzzeli tandem in 2019-20.

My point is having to wait for an injury or all of a sudden one of the vets gets half the playing time does not mean plenty of opportunity. at least imo. When was the last time a kid actually took a full time spot from a vet mid season? It doesn't happen much if at all. I'm just saying, I would like to see a kid get an opportunity to play at the start of the season rather than signing a vet.
Probably Bertuzzi last season fits the bill. Mantha/AA recently were brought up during the season and got regular jobs. Mrazek before that. Nyquist did the same. Sheahan and Jurco. Happened with Marchenko.

But, I see your point. Just because it happened when we had a MUCH better roster and MUCH worse prospects doesn't mean it could happen now.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I thought it was common knowledge that holland’s MO is starting the kid outside the roster (be it AHL or bench warming) and incorporate them a month or two in.

I’m not even trying to champion it as a great strategy But I listed a bunch of examples of kids stealing spots as the season went on.

I feel like there is plenty of precedent for this.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
With our goaltending the way it is, you want to add Mason? Like.. even assuming CBJ is so desperate that they give a pick to get rid of him, are you only thinking short, short term? Wings need to plan for the long term.

If you can get mason for a 2nd to allow them to re-sign their players like stastny, heck yeah. Is mason really that much of a difference than any goalie we will sign in free agency? Neither will lead us to glory. And winnipeg has a lot of people they need to re-sign, including stastny, trouba, and their actual starting goalie to name a few. You get mason for a year, who has hit decent heights before with phi not too long ago. Besides, more than likely howard gets the majority of the starts.

And a quick edit: once masons contract expires next season, nothing to stop us from going out and signing a stop gap goalie then. They are always out there.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If you can get mason for a 2nd to allow them to re-sign their players like stastny, heck yeah. Is mason really that much of a difference than any goalie we will sign in free agency? Neither will lead us to glory. And winnipeg has a lot of people they need to re-sign, including stastny, trouba, and their actual starting goalie to name a few. You get mason for a year, who has hit decent heights before with phi not too long ago. Besides, more than likely howard gets the majority of the starts.
Really doubt they'd package him with a 2nd. I'm not fully in tune with what their offseason looks like but they have cap space and can probably make smarter moves than completely burning a 2nd just to move a goalie with 1 year left.

And yeah sounds like you're thinking only next year. We need to start thinking about who will actually be in net for us the next 3-4 years until some prospect is ready.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Probably Bertuzzi last season fits the bill. Mantha/AA recently were brought up during the season and got regular jobs. Mrazek before that. Nyquist did the same. Sheahan and Jurco. Happened with Marchenko.

But, I see your point. Just because it happened when we had a MUCH better roster and MUCH worse prospects doesn't mean it could happen now.
Which vets did they replace?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I thought it was common knowledge that holland’s MO is starting the kid outside the roster (be it AHL or bench warming) and incorporate them a month or two in.

I’m not even trying to champion it as a great strategy But I listed a bunch of examples of kids stealing spots as the season went on.

I feel like there is plenty of precedent for this.
it is when you have contracts that can easily be moved. I just don't see that with our D core.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Really doubt they'd package him with a 2nd. I'm not fully in tune with what their offseason looks like but they have cap space and can probably make smarter moves than completely burning a 2nd just to move a goalie with 1 year left.

And yeah sounds like you're thinking only next year. We need to start thinking about who will actually be in net for us the next 3-4 years until some prospect is ready.
just looking at their sb nation blog, they talk about how the jets are tight on salary space to resign their players.
But my point remains about teams being willing to move contracts with assets. Happens quite frequently. I'd rather hitch my wagon to that idea than hoping green stays healthy enough to be worth a 1st when teams could easily sign him now, or that somehow a guy like fillpula will become a huge asset playing for a struggling team.

and as i said, goalies like bernier are easily found in free agency every year. Steve mason and his career 2.7 GAA and .911 Save percentage isn't exactly far off bernier's 2.67 GAA and .914 career save percentage haha. pretty much the same careers.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I could go back and check each individual case, but obviously if you start the season with a full roster then insert a kid into a full-time role during the season he would have had to replace someone.
I get that but im sure the players that were replaced were easily replaced ie sent down/waived ect... I don't see that as the case with our current d core

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad