Ansar Khan: Wings believe they can re-sign Green

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm kind of whatever on Hicketts. Rooting for him for sure, since guys his size making it in the NHL are kind of underdog stories, but I don't see him being more than a third pairing PP guy.

I'd love to see Hronek make it after his really good rookie year and the fact that he's my #2 prospect in the system right now. But if the power play is gonna feature the likes of Green, Kronwall, and maybe Hicketts, then Hronek should go back to the A and work on being the top offensive blueliner there.

Cholowski needs to get some pro experience and I don't expect him on the team unless he really crushes it in training camp. Fortunately he's bulked up since draft day and is 6'1, 195 according to reports from development camp. I think he might actually have a higher ceiling than Hronek, but he needs to prove himself in a pro league first.

Sulak is a wild card given his age and lack of NA experience. Maybe he'd be an okay option as a 7th D, since he's done growing and isn't likely to develop too much more, so not playing everyday would't stunt his development too much. I fully expect him to start the year in GR though.

All in all I expect it to come down to Hronek v. Hicketts in training camp with the loser of that battle being the first injury call up. Sulak probably gets a look later in the year and depending on how he does maybe they look to give Jensen the XO treatment.

This is pretty much my thinking as well. IMO, it's either going to be Hronek earning a regular spot and Jensen/Kronwall relegate to a more part time role, or if Hronek looks like he needs more work, Sulak starts at #7 in the NHL given his age/size/etc.

Based on Khan's article, it seems like the spot opened up by Ouellet leaving is Hronek's to lose.

Hicketts will probably get a lot of looks in camp, and is probably a lock to start in the NHL if there are injuries to start, but I think his full time promotion will be either later in the season after someone is dealt, or at the start of 19-20 as the #7 when his waiver exemption runs out.

Cholowski probably gets one year in GR like Hronek did.

I don't think Jensen will get the Ouellet treatment however. Given that he can skate at an above average level and has a very easy to absorb cap hit, Jensen can likely fetch a decent pick at the deadline as a rental.

Kronwall is done after the year and big E in 2. I actually see it the opposite of jewels, how can people not see the opportunity opening up for our young defenders in the next couple years?

This. The team has tons of flexibility at the D position. DeKeyser is the only one that's in the picture long term. Jensen and Kronwall are likely gone after this next season, Green either after this next one or after two, and Daley and Ericsson are gone after 2 more seasons. Plenty of flexibility to start rotating in young D as those guys exit.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd rather not stunt the development of either of those guys bringing them up and sticking them assignments they're not ready for so they can get shelled nightly.

This team is going to get shelled for a little while. I think it would be fine for their development, Larkin is developing just fine. We are getting better with the forwards, but still overripening these defenseman too much.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Rasmussen, Zadina, one of Hronek/Sulak, and possibly Svechnikov are easy candidates

Not everyone is a pessimist.
Pessimist? I'm just going by what the team has actually done before, and what they're rumored to be doing now.

Abdelkader
Athanasiou
Bertuzzi
Glendenning
Helm
Larkin
Zetterberg
Mantha
Nielsen
Nyquist
Svechnikov

That's 11 forwards that played last year, and Svechnikov is the only one that isn't a surefire lock to be in the opening day lineup. Plus they're still in the mix to go after Vanek. I think one rookie forward is probable, but 2 is far from a guarantee. Not to mention the latest chitchat that Zadina hasn't been so outstanding in camp thus far to suggest he'll crack the opening day lineup.

Daley
DeKeyser
Ericsson
Kronwall

Those 4 are a given, and Green looks like a real possibility for 5. Assuming they don't bring in anybody via trade or free agency, you can say that Hronek or Sulak plays over Jensen, but somebody not assuming it's a given right from the start is not pessimism, it's realism, because things are fairly crowded, and this team has practiced "the tie goes to the veteran" for quite awhile.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'm kind of whatever on Hicketts. Rooting for him for sure, since guys his size making it in the NHL are kind of underdog stories, but I don't see him being more than a third pairing PP guy.

I'd love to see Hronek make it after his really good rookie year and the fact that he's my #2 prospect in the system right now. But if the power play is gonna feature the likes of Green, Kronwall, and maybe Hicketts, then Hronek should go back to the A and work on being the top offensive blueliner there.

Cholowski needs to get some pro experience and I don't expect him on the team unless he really crushes it in training camp. Fortunately he's bulked up since draft day and is 6'1, 195 according to reports from development camp. I think he might actually have a higher ceiling than Hronek, but he needs to prove himself in a pro league first.

Sulak is a wild card given his age and lack of NA experience. Maybe he'd be an okay option as a 7th D, since he's done growing and isn't likely to develop too much more, so not playing everyday would't stunt his development too much. I fully expect him to start the year in GR though.

All in all I expect it to come down to Hronek v. Hicketts in training camp with the loser of that battle being the first injury call up. Sulak probably gets a look later in the year and depending on how he does maybe they look to give Jensen the XO treatment.
Lol I was going to change my name to this then forgot about it. Nice.

Reactions: FunkyColdZadina

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Lol Zadina hasn't even been outstanding in development camp!!!

Whatever man. Agree to disagree, I see 3 rookies in the lineup and I was leaving a possibility for a fourth with injury. Zadina Rasmussen and a defenceman.

You also mistook the word should for WILL.

And you're a pessimist bro, already penciling in your non-veiwership for October. Like seriously the guy with maybe 3 hopeful posts in 3 years isn't pessimistic.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And you're a pessimist bro, already penciling in your non-veiwership for October. Like seriously the guy with maybe 3 hopeful posts in 3 years isn't pessimistic.
If you want to watch from Game 1 through Game 82, that's cool. You do you, and we each have our own definition of what constitutes entertainment. But me not watching the team doesn't make me a pessimist; it just make me somebody who isn't interested in the bulk of the current roster players. Nyquist could score 40 goals, and I still wouldn't want to see him play, because he's not going to be part of the solution down the road, and he needs to get traded for assets. Again, not pessimism, just having moved on to waiting for more roster turnover.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
LOL At most of this... First off... The whole summer is still to go here. Then there's the training camp. Holland making sure he has options on D isn't the end of the world here. If Hronek and whomever are better choices to have up in the line up they will be. Whether a move has to be made or someone sitting in the press box... I would love it if we had youngsters in the line-up myself but what if they're simply not ready?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
If that happened, it would be on Blashill. If either of these guys are ready to take an NHL role, they need to play sooner rather than later. Even if they're the #6 defenseman playing sheltered minutes and only getting into tougher situations as they progress. We don't have the luxury of hiding guys in the minors for 6 years, we need to see what these kids have much sooner than in previous years.

You usually do that with call-ups... You don't simply guarantee a kid a spot on the roster because he's a kid.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Rasmussen, Zadina, one of Hronek/Sulak, and possibly Svechnikov are easy candidates

Not everyone is a pessimist.

I wonder what role Svech takes if true? He certainly didn't light it up in GR. If the call him up, certainly other aspects of his game must be really good?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm okay with bringing Green back (for two years at max). If Hronek, Hicketts, etc. are really NHL ready they should be able to beat Jensen for a spot in the starting line up.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I wonder what role Svech takes if true? He certainly didn't light it up in GR. If the call him up, certainly other aspects of his game must be really good?
I think Svech is more of an injury option if Abby or helm are hurt.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The following players have a genuine chance at being here and contributing significantly when the new core hits its stride:

Larkin
Zadina
Mantha
Rasmussen
Hronek

All good guys to root for. And there's a solid handful that provide reason for excitement down the road (Cholowski, Berggren, McIsaac, etc). And if that is collectively enough for you to tune in, I'm not trying to stop you.

But win or lose, play well or play poorly, I have no interest in watching Helm or Ericsson or Nyquist or Kronwall or Green or a handful of other players. It's not exclusively due to how good or bad I think they'll play; it's because I'm tired of the old guard, and look forward to them being traded and/or their contracts finally expiring, so the Red Wings can continue to step out of the shadow of what they've been for several years, and keep developing a new identity for the new roster.

I love chatting on the forums and watching the off season because those things are about debate and change and strategy and the future. All of which is infinitely more interesting to me than the present. Just personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: njx9

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I'd rather not stunt the development of either of those guys bringing them up and sticking them assignments they're not ready for so they can get shelled nightly.
If they are ready, they are ready. And if he is ready, getting 3rd pair minutes and maybe getting some time on PP2 shouldn't get him "shelled nightly"-or at least anymore so than our first 2 pairs haha. If we have ddk-daley pair one, we still have kronwall/ericsson/jensen as veteran guys to help hronek. Pair kronwall and jensen, and then ericsson can be the stay at home guy for hronek on pair 3.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I'm okay with bringing Green back (for two years at max). If Hronek, Hicketts, etc. are really NHL ready they should be able to beat Jensen for a spot in the starting line up.
from what i heard last preseason, hicketts "beat out" several defensive veterans in preseason. And i hear a lot of talk about Jensen getting beat out, when i thought he was actually one of our more decent defenders last season.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
from what i heard last preseason, hicketts "beat out" several defensive veterans in preseason. And i hear a lot of talk about Jensen getting beat out, when i thought he was actually one of our more decent defenders last season.
Jensen is so overrated on this board, all the guy does is skate well and chip pucks. We need guys that actually can make a first pass. If it’s me I’m moving Jensen in a heartbeat

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Jensen is so overrated on this board, all the guy does is skate well and chip pucks. We need guys that actually can make a first pass. If it’s me I’m moving Jensen in a heartbeat
Is he?

Most of what I remember hearing is about his fast skating but then how he usually turns the puck over. I think he's even been compared to Lebda.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Is he?

Most of what I remember hearing is about his fast skating but then how he usually turns the puck over. I think he's even been compared to Lebda.
Well everyone I hear talking says they think he’s one of the best d on the team, but I like him the least out of all of them and that’s not saying much because the only good one is green

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Holy hyperbole, one guy says he thinks he was one of our better defenders last season.

He wasn't. He was pretty bad and only played well enough to get minutes over XO.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
you are right. All he does is provide a steady, if unspectacular play. All for 25 percent the cost of our high priced defenders. He makes 800k. He is not the problem.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Holy hyperbole, one guy says he thinks he was one of our better defenders last season.

He wasn't. He was pretty bad and only played well enough to get minutes over XO.
take a peek over at the wings sb nation blog. Seemed to be a pretty common assumption that he provided steady, unspectacular play throughout the season. Not saying they are right/wrong, merely that a very decent sized group who watch the wings all season made that assertion as well. And worst case he was pretty much the same level as the rest of the shit show, green included. All for <20 percent the cost. He would be the perfect veteran presence on the 5/6 pairing.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
you are right. All he does is provide a steady, if unspectacular play. All for 25 percent the cost of our high priced defenders. He makes 800k. He is not the problem.
I’m not saying he’s the problem I’m saying his type of game doesn’t help us/help the young forwards. He doesn’t make outlet passes so when he’s on the ice he’s not getting the puck into our forwards hands. Give that spot to Hronek/hickets/cholo/sulak

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not saying he’s the problem I’m saying his type of game doesn’t help us/help the young forwards. He doesn’t make outlet passes so when he’s on the ice he’s not getting the puck into our forwards hands. Give that spot to Hronek/hickets/cholo/sulak
only reason i would be as willing to move Jensen is i believe he actually prob has the most value of any of our current defenders. Maybe if we ate half of daley's salary he would be similar, but then teams would still have to retain his full salary next season. Nobody is touching ddk or ericsson, wings would never move kronwall. We just can't bring back 5 of 6 same defenders as last year. Bring back green if we move daley and jensen sure.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
only reason i would be as willing to move Jensen is i believe he actually prob has the most value of any of our current defenders. Maybe if we ate half of daley's salary he would be similar, but then teams would still have to retain his full salary next season. Nobody is touching ddk or ericsson, wings would never move kronwall. We just can't bring back 5 of 6 same defenders as last year. Bring back green if we move daley and jensen sure.
What’s Jensen’s value then in your opinion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad