Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Nick Leddy (mod warning post #224)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Was anyone else expecting a little... more?

I don't think anyone would characterize his time on the Wings as "lighting it up"

We all expected more offense and him mentoring Seider.

Nobody expected him to have to cover Hronek’s deficiencies and that he’d sacrifice his offense to do so.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Leddy's good, but I'm kinda thinking I'd rather have Aatu Raty at this point. In case people haven't noticed, he's been lighting it up with Jukurit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Leddy's good, but I'm kinda thinking I'd rather have Aatu Raty at this point. In case people haven't noticed, he's been lighting it up with Jukurit.

Has he?

Think he cooled a bit down after a hot start.

Can't join the WJC after covid protocol shit.

Like his team has guys at covid protocol, but not himself. And can't join the WJC anymore thanks to that. Kind of bullshit things happening.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
We all expected more offense and him mentoring Seider.

Nobody expected him to have to cover Hronek’s deficiencies and that he’d sacrifice his offense to do so.

Nobody expected Seider to be so good that he's the best option on the roster to cover Dan Dekeyser's deficiencies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He is slick and skilled, but team worse +/- at -19, while Bertuzzi has+13 kinda ridiculous. Staal is much better defender than Leddy, and I probably will keep Staal longer , but what can we get for this guy ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He is slick and skilled, but team worse +/- at -19, while Bertuzzi has+13 kinda ridiculous. Staal is much better defender than Leddy, and I probably will keep Staal longer , but what can we get for this guy ?

Don't expect any better than 2nd rounders to UFA rentals.

You can get 1sts, if there's an extra year and the caphit is low/controlled.

That's the new market.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Correction. Some of us did, some others refused to believe a rookie could be so good.

And the best way to cover DDK’s deficiencies are by putting him in the press box. I’d rather have Brendan Smith back there.
Amen! I never understood why people undersold him from the beginning as if there was no pero for evidence that Seider was going to be top 2 D-man in Detroit, if not the best D-man. I never understood why we couldn’t believe the hype while other guys who never did as much were hyped as a superstar

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Amen! I never understood why people undersold him from the beginning as if there was no pero for evidence that Seider was going to be top 2 D-man in Detroit, if not the best D-man. I never understood why we couldn’t believe the hype while other guys who never did as much were hyped as a superstar
I hoped we have someone better in the system than 20 years old, who never had a game in NHL. I hoped Leddy will help Seider to become a star. Edvinsson going to have easier path . Yzerman needs to bring solid defenseman or bring Kronwall as coach

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I hoped we have someone better in the system than 20 years old, who never had a game in NHL. I hoped Leddy will help Seider to become a star. Edvinsson going to have easier path . Yzerman needs to bring solid defenseman or bring Kronwall as coach
I think it's time to replace Houda, but I don't think Kronwall is the guy. The defense needs a fresh set of eyes.

The time to bring in Kronwall is when Blash gets replaced.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think it's time to replace Houda, but I don't think Kronwall is the guy. The defense needs a fresh set of eyes.

The time to bring in Kronwall is when Blash gets replaced.
The best scenario if we get Larionov

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
No surprise. Of guys who played more than 3 games, he was the Isles' only blueliner to finish last season in the minus. When I watched the Isles last year he stood out, not in a good way. That's why I didn't like this trade

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's second to last in the league at -26, only player worse is Chychrun.

Pretty clear at this point that Graves would've been the better trade.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I haven't seen him bring much offense and his defense is pretty bad. He's a giveaway machine. Is he just unfocused or is this just what he is?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I haven't seen him bring much offense and his defense is pretty bad. He's a giveaway machine. Is he just unfocused or is this just what he is?
Hasn't had a lot to work with, in terms of D partners, since they split he and Seider up. He carries the puck well enough, has a good first pass...but he definitely looks like he would be better paired with a defensive-minded partner...which we don't have a lot of, outside of Seider, Staal, and Lindstrom to some extent.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hasn't had a lot to work with, in terms of D partners, since they split he and Seider up. He carries the puck well enough, has a good first pass...but he definitely looks like he would be better paired with a defensive-minded partner...which we don't have a lot of, outside of Seider, Staal, and Lindstrom to some extent.
Leddy's left handed so his partner has to be one of Seider, Hronek , or Lindstrom. If he needs to be paired with Seider to look good then he's as useless as DDK and Oesterle.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Leddy's left handed so his partner has to be one of Seider, Hronek , or Lindstrom. If he needs to be paired with Seider to look good then he's as useless as DDK and Oesterle.
The intimation is that we don't have such a player on our roster, currently, to make his skills become more accentuated and useful on our team, outside of Seider. But if he succeeds in giving any of our players a better understanding of the NHL game and helps them to develop further...then his time with Detroit was a success. We were never going to compete for the playoffs, which meant that we were always going to struggle with consistency and the ability to win games. So his numbers were always going to look vastly worse, with Detroit, than his years in Chicago and New York. I'm sure that Yzerman was looking at flipping him at the deadline for more than what we paid for him. And we still might get some value for him. But if he were to stay and take over the mantle of "mentor" from Marc Staal (if Staal decides to move on, that is), then he will provide a solid level of experience for some of our up and coming players and perhaps return more to his days of being a good 2-way defenseman.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The intimation is that we don't have such a player on our roster, currently, to make his skills become more accentuated and useful on our team, outside of Seider. But if he succeeds in giving any of our players a better understanding of the NHL game and helps them to develop further...then his time with Detroit was a success. We were never going to compete for the playoffs, which meant that we were always going to struggle with consistency and the ability to win games. So his numbers were always going to look vastly worse, with Detroit, than his years in Chicago and New York. I'm sure that Yzerman was looking at flipping him at the deadline for more than what we paid for him. And we still might get some value for him. But if he were to stay and take over the mantle of "mentor" from Marc Staal (if Staal decides to move on, that is), then he will provide a solid level of experience for some of our up and coming players and perhaps return more to his days of being a good 2-way defenseman.
Staal will be back, Leddy won't. Book it.

Trade target should've been Adam Graves who helped Makar break into the league. Imagine a top pairing of 6'5" Graves and 6'4" Seider. Oh well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Staal will be back, Leddy won't. Book it.

Trade target should've been Adam Graves who helped Makar break into the league. Imagine a top pairing of 6'5" Graves and 6'4" Seider. Oh well.

Maybe, but I think he's going to have to take a pay cut for what he does. Wouldn't mind cleaning house a bit on the left side, though. Have to think we'll give Edvinsson a chance to make the team, we have Sebrango and McIsaac in GR looking like guys who can maybe make the jump to the third pair. Osterle has another year and can play the left side.

I think a darkhorse for us is a trade for someone like Alec Martinez. Vegas has done well without him this season, they will be cramped for cap space going into next season. I can see him being available and an option for us. He's not Lindholm, which a lot of folks want, but I think it's more likely Yzerman looks to make a trade like this to help fill that left side out.

Go into next year with something like:

Martinez-Seider
Edvinsson-Hronek
Staal/McIsaac/Sebrango-Lindstrom
Osterle/McIsaac/Sebrango

If we promote a guy or two from GR to our third pair/bench, it also opens up space down there for Johansson, Wallinder, whoever to come over and play in GR and get acclimated to NA while being available for call-ups.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maybe, but I think he's going to have to take a pay cut for what he does. Wouldn't mind cleaning house a bit on the left side, though. Have to think we'll give Edvinsson a chance to make the team, we have Sebrango and McIsaac in GR looking like guys who can maybe make the jump to the third pair. Osterle has another year and can play the left side.

I think a darkhorse for us is a trade for someone like Alec Martinez. Vegas has done well without him this season, they will be cramped for cap space going into next season. I can see him being available and an option for us. He's not Lindholm, which a lot of folks want, but I think it's more likely Yzerman looks to make a trade like this to help fill that left side out.

Go into next year with something like:

Martinez-Seider
Edvinsson-Hronek
Staal/McIsaac/Sebrango-Lindstrom
Osterle/McIsaac/Sebrango

If we promote a guy or two from GR to our third pair/bench, it also opens up space down there for Johansson, Wallinder, whoever to come over and play in GR and get acclimated to NA while being available for call-ups.
Staal makes $2M and is a steady vet presence. There's no point in nickel and diming him and losing him when the team has a crap load of cap space. I can't think of too many NHL level dmen that would be willing to take a one year contract. Usually get guys like Merrill doing that.

I like Sebrango but I think he'll need another year to bulk up.

I hope Edvinsson makes the team too, but he doesn't have a season in GR like Seider did. Remember Seider didn't look all that great in his first few games in GR, there's always a learning curve. Edvinsson might need to spend some time in GR before he's ready. That's why I want Staal back.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: