Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Nick Leddy (mod warning post #224)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I have given up on Leddy. The way he was outmuscled and manhandled by Tavares in front of the net vs the Leafs was so embarrassing and probably the worst play of the season.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Was just going to make this comment. The excitement over Seider seems to be influencing people’s opinions on Edvinsson. Edvinsson is a stud for sure but suggesting Edvinsson will be able to carry NHL vets as a rookie is a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.
I think Edvinsson is either going to get it right away or he will take a "year" to get his game in order/get stronger. Depending on who we can get to replace some of our current defensemen will help us decide whether we let him go for the year, like we have been doing with Berggren, or not.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Was just going to make this comment. The excitement over Seider seems to be influencing people’s opinions on Edvinsson. Edvinsson is a stud for sure but suggesting Edvinsson will be able to carry NHL vets as a rookie is a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.

He's not going to have to carry Hronek, though. Hronek isn't great defensively, but he's not Jason Wooley, either.

If we can get a good partner for Seider and put together a solid 3rd pair that can handle defensive zone faceoffs, we'll also be able to pick our spots a bit more with a Edvinsson-Hronek pairing - especially at home.

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's not going to have to carry Hronek, though. Hronek isn't great defensively, but he's not Jason Wooley, either.

If we can get a good partner for Seider and put together a solid 3rd pair that can handle defensive zone faceoffs, we'll also be able to pick our spots a bit more with a Edvinsson-Hronek pairing - especially at home.

Edvinsson should be the guy who will start most from own end. Because he can carry the puck up - easier than many Ds in the game.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Edvinsson should be the guy who will start most from own end. Because he can carry the puck up - easier than many Ds in the game.
Agree. Edvinsson will, like Seider, make Hronek's skill set look really poor by comparison and folks, here, will understand just how bad our defense is. Staal should not be showing up half our defensemen with his effort level and ability to angle off forwards and take the body. These are the rudimentary basics of the modern-day NHL defensive play.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think you'd be asking him to get burned if we're going to consistently and repeatedly dump him into the highest leverage situations possible every time. If we're at hom,e and we can get him out there for a D draw against the other team's bottom lines, that's one thing. On the road, I don't like the idea of the Bruins putting Pasta/Bergeron/Marchand out there and getting that matchup at will.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think you'd be asking him to get burned if we're going to consistently and repeatedly dump him into the highest leverage situations possible every time. If we're at hom,e and we can get him out there for a D draw against the other team's bottom lines, that's one thing. On the road, I don't like the idea of the Bruins putting Pasta/Bergeron/Marchand out there and getting that matchup at will.
Yup, a lot of pressure on a rookie. Not every prospect is going to be as successful as Seider as a rookie.

It'll be interesting to see who he gets partnered with. I could make a case for Seider, Hronek, or Lindstrom. It could wind up that he starts with sheltered minutes with Lindstrom and works his way up the lineup. I think everyone got spoiled with Raymond and Seider, they are the exceptions not the typical situation.

Reactions: Winger98

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yup, a lot of pressure on a rookie. Not every prospect is going to be as successful as Seider as a rookie.

It'll be interesting to see who he gets partnered with. I could make a case for Seider, Hronek, or Lindstrom. It could wind up that he starts with sheltered minutes with Lindstrom and works his way up the lineup. I think everyone got spoiled with Raymond and Seider, they are the exceptions not the typical situation.
Doing fine, so far, as top pair for SHL. I don't mind pairing him with a mentor-type (Staal...but right-handed), but I fully expect that he'll pull a Berggren and spend most of the year in GR and then come up at the deadline or earlier, depending on injuries.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Doing fine, so far, as top pair for SHL. I don't mind pairing him with a mentor-type (Staal...but right-handed), but I fully expect that he'll pull a Berggren and spend most of the year in GR and then come up at the deadline or earlier, depending on injuries.
Stevie's not gonna sign a vet RHD unless Hronek or Lindstrom gets traded which is highly unlikely. He's already got 3 RHD.

Your veteran presence is Seider, lol. He's better than 95% of vet defensemen, and that's actually a very conservative number.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Stevie's not gonna sign a vet RHD unless Hronek or Lindstrom gets traded which is highly unlikely. He's already got 3 RHD.

Your veteran presence is Seider, lol. He's better than 95% of vet defensemen, and that's actually a very conservative number.

I don't really want Seider having to shelter a rookie though. Hopefully Seider can get a better NHL partner so he can stop babysitting Dekeyser and company. Maybe we go after Lindholm if he hits UFA, as I think we are at a point where we can start improving the team via UFA if there are good ones to go after. I personally don't want another stop gap quiet summer signings. I know this year is an exception with how bad the bottom teams are, as I still feel we are actually a bottom 5 team, aside from the 5 or so bright spots on our team, but we likely finish no worse than 7th this year. Raymond and Seider have sped things up for us a little, that I have no problem if Steve makes a big move this summer. Arizona and Montreal are probably going to handle to bottom 2 spots this year and next.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't really want Seider having to shelter a rookie though. Hopefully Seider can get a better NHL partner so he can stop babysitting Dekeyser and company. Maybe we go after Lindholm if he hits UFA, as I think we are at a point where we can start improving the team via UFA if there are good ones to go after. I personally don't want another stop gap quiet summer signings. I know this year is an exception with how bad the bottom teams are, as I still feel we are actually a bottom 5 team, aside from the 5 or so bright spots on our team, but we likely finish no worse than 7th this year. Raymond and Seider have sped things up for us a little, that I have no problem if Steve makes a big move this summer. Arizona and Montreal are probably going to handle to bottom 2 spots this year and next.
I hear ya, this time I agree that Stevie needs to start upgrading. At the same time, Seider playing with Edvinsson means they'll grow together, it's not quite the same as babysitting an old man in diapers.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Do we try Leddy-Seider again? I know everyone will gag hearing that but they got good results together. Seider made up for Leddy's shortcomings and Seider didn't seem held back whatsoever.

Reactions: raymond23

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think Edvinsson is either going to get it right away or he will take a "year" to get his game in order/get stronger. Depending on who we can get to replace some of our current defensemen will help us decide whether we let him go for the year, like we have been doing with Berggren, or not.
Physically Edvinsson is ready. Does he needS get adjusted to NA stile I don't know

Do we try Leddy-Seider again? I know everyone will gag hearing that but they got good results together. Seider made up for Leddy's shortcomings and Seider didn't seem held back whatsoever.
It will also increase his value at the trade deadline

I hear ya, this time I agree that Stevie needs to start upgrading. At the same time, Seider playing with Edvinsson means they'll grow together, it's not quite the same as babysitting an old man in diapers.
Do we want them to be on the same line or have one two punch

Last edited by a moderator:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do we want them to be on the same line or have one two punch
They can be on the same pair until Edvinsson is ready to anchor his own pair. I don't think he's going to be as NHL ready as Seider. Remember Seider has a season in GR, this is his D+3 season as opposed to Edvinsson who's going to be in his D+2 season with no AHL experience. Not to mention Seider is more physical and has ridiculous edge skills and hand eye coordination.

I expect Edvinsson to be good eventually, but not from day one.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Physically Edvinsson is ready. Does he needS get adjusted to NA stile I don't know
I think it all depends on what the rest of our defense corps looks like after this year. Only Lidstrom/Oesterle/Seider/Hronek are under contract for next year. I'm sure Yzerman will want/need some more veteran presence back there to help out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Edvinsson doesn't need any major adjustment. He is already very north-and south player and usually it's just different positioning, in a smaller rink. More skating - for a great skater - OKAY. With Edvinsson reach, I can't see any problem because it's so damn easy for him to break plays. There's no bigger player than him in NHL after Chara retires.

He just comes and goes. We will laugh for that how easy it will be in next october. He just has the right tools. Some seasoned vet needs to be signed in front of him (left side) to take the hardest shifts, and that's it. I'll expect Yzerman filling that hole too.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Edvinsson is looking like another exception though. If he comes in to the NHL next season and shines it would actually be way less surprising than Raymond doing it.

Reactions: golffuul

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Haven't had the time to watch Wings games lately but has his play dropped off? At the start of the season he was playing pretty damn good and looked like a legit top 4 defensemen.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
They can be on the same pair until Edvinsson is ready to anchor his own pair. I don't think he's going to be as NHL ready as Seider. Remember Seider has a season in GR, this is his D+3 season as opposed to Edvinsson who's going to be in his D+2 season with no AHL experience. Not to mention Seider is more physical and has ridiculous edge skills and hand eye coordination.

I expect Edvinsson to be good eventually, but not from day one.
I agree. Edvinsson is probably spends a year in AHL and then has a couple years of growing pains in Detroit. He's athletic but his decision making is suspect. That will always get exposed in the NHL. Seider is a very unique prospect. Most Dmen need a couple hundred games to find his comfort level.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Edvinsson is looking like another exception though. If he comes in to the NHL next season and shines it would actually be way less surprising than Raymond doing it.
Defense is a lot harder than offense, and this team sucks at covering for a defenseman that decide to join the rush. You don't want to ruin a defensive prospect by rushing him like the Sabres always do. The Wings also did it with Cholo. Once the league finds a weakness they'll exploit it. Seider is exceptional because he really doesn't have a weakness. I don't think Edvinsson is at that level.

GR or sheltered NHL minutes I think the first season.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I have given up on Leddy. The way he was outmuscled and manhandled by Tavares in front of the net vs the Leafs was so embarrassing and probably the worst play of the season.

There was a goal scored against in the first 10 games or so, where a 5-foot-nothing forward leaned into DeKeyser off a rush and angled him right into the slot where the guy took a shot and scored. Ken and Mickey commented that it was a great play and nothing DeKeyser could have done there. I immediately thought he could have bodied him up and either pushed him over or boxed him out, and then quickly realized that, yes, there was nothing specifically Danny DeKeyeser could have done there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad