Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Nick Leddy (mod warning post #224)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Expecting him to come in and be Makar is ridiculous for a lot of reasons. The Avalanche didn’t expect Makar to step in and be Makar.
They certainly did, Makar's first game was a playoff game. You don't stick a college kid in the playoffs unless you have absolute confidence in his abilities. I watched that game, he promptly scored a goal with his parents in the arena. The announcers mentioned his name every time he stepped on the ice, and he lived up to his hype FROM DAY 1.

Personally, I think Seider will live up to the hype defensively. He's already well above average in terms of skating, size, and physicality. He chases the puck every now and then, so having a good partner will get him out of that habit.

I think his offense will take some time to come around. He telegraphs his passes, and he doesn't have a good shot. But I think he'll get a lot of assists because he'll be touching the puck a lot and he can move the puck. Plus he'll learn a lot from Leddy. Not a huge fan of the trade, but it does serve a purpose.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ha. Seriously though, this. If Seider is moved down the lineup and requires sheltering, it would be a little disappointing, but not at all worrisome for his future outlook. There will be bumps. But talk of him being excluded from the top-4 because he's a "prospect," or even going down to GR for more "seasoning"? That would be significantly disappointing for those fans who understand what this kid is. If you're expecting Seider to be sent down to the A, you're failing to appreciate Moritz Seider.

I mean, I'm more willing to set my expectations low for guys so as to not overreact when they simply play like an okay 19-20 year old. Especially on defense, if you expect a guy to come in and dominate, you're generally going to be disappointed. Particularly a defenseman like what Seider projects to be. Makar's game is tailor-made to fit the current NHL. Super skilled, super fast, but enough size he can't wholly be neutralized by putting a body on him. Seider will definitely have an adjustment period to the NHL and I'm not going to kill him for it if he doesn't look like a superstar in his first year. I wouldn't be surprised if they do play him around 16 mins a night as the year goes along and he hits the wall.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I mean, I'm more willing to set my expectations low for guys so as to not overreact when they simply play like an okay 19-20 year old. Especially on defense, if you expect a guy to come in and dominate, you're generally going to be disappointed. Particularly a defenseman like what Seider projects to be. Makar's game is tailor-made to fit the current NHL. Super skilled, super fast, but enough size he can't wholly be neutralized by putting a body on him. Seider will definitely have an adjustment period to the NHL and I'm not going to kill him for it if he doesn't look like a superstar in his first year. I wouldn't be surprised if they do play him around 16 mins a night as the year goes along and he hits the wall.

Call me foolish, or call me overly optimistic, whichever you prefer, but I think you're wrong. I believe you'll see Seider be a legit top pair defenseman from his first shift in the NHL. And I'm even more confident of this knowing that Seider will be playing with Leddy instead of carrying dead weight like Super Staal or Nemeth.

And for those of you saying, "But he's a rookie! You can't expect him to carry a partner!" just ask Eric Gelinas who he thanks for his newest NHL contract.

Seider isn't just fast for someone his size. He's faster than any defenseman we had on the roster last season. It's not like he's just big, slow and physical like Derian Hatcher so stop making it sound like a player like Seider can't thrive in the modern NHL. And if he's playing with Leddy that creates a duo that can transition the puck up ice incredibly fast. That fact alone makes Leddy worth the 2nd round pick in my mind.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Call me foolish, or call me overly optimistic, whichever you prefer, but I think you're wrong. I believe you'll see Seider be a legit top pair defenseman from his first shift in the NHL. And I'm even more confident of this knowing that Seider will be playing with Leddy instead of carrying dead weight like Super Staal or Nemeth.

And for those of you saying, "But he's a rookie! You can't expect him to carry a partner!" just ask Eric Gelinas who he thanks for his newest NHL contract.

Seider isn't just fast for someone his size. He's faster than any defenseman we had on the roster last season. It's not like he's just big, slow and physical like Derian Hatcher so stop making it sound like a player like Seider can't thrive in the modern NHL. And if he's playing with Leddy that creates a duo that can transition the puck up ice incredibly fast. That fact alone makes Leddy worth the 2nd round pick in my mind.

Well, I'm glad that you have such heavy hype for him.

I just know the NHL is VERY different from the SHL or the AHL or whatever league he's played in against men. It's not a knock on Seider that I'm making. It's ludicrously hard to succeed in the NHL. I'm probably too pessimistic about rookies coming out. But that's just because the kind of guy that walks in and is legit immediately? There really are not many of them.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
would have prefered namestikov over smith who cant skate

Namestnikov is a plug.
He doesn't do anything particularly well.
Sure Blashill likes and trusts him enough to play him with a lead late.

But Namestnikov isn't a good skater. Not even in comparison to Smith.
He isn't good at offense. Keep in mind 6/7 of his 17 points were on an empty net.

I was exciting about Namestnikov's signing, but he's barely been passable last season.

I remember watching some games down the stretch where it seemed he couldn't even win a faceoff.

Honestly, I'd rather see Brome in lineup over Namestnikov. Brome while not productive was at least entertaining. Smith will deliver some big hits and have the occasional fight. Namestnikov.... he'll get you an empty netter once in a while and he's more responsible defensively.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Oh yeah I get that. Based on what I know of Seider, I think a "top-4 guy for at least most of the season" is a fair expectation. I don't feel the need to go lower than that because, while I have my expectation, I also won't be up in arms if he falls a little short. The learning curve, the adjustment period, the possible wall... all things that are difficult to predict. If he winds up in GR though, I will indeed be disappointed.

The minutes themselves may fluctuate, but I'll say this.... I'll be very surprised if by the end of a [healthy] season Seider has not averaged 18+ minutes a night.

Reactions: Winger98

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Oh yeah I get that. Based on what I know of Seider, I think a "top-4 guy for at least most of the season" is a fair expectation. I don't feel the need to go lower than that because, while I have my expectation, I also won't be up in arms if he falls a little short. The learning curve, the adjustment period, the possible wall... all things that are difficult to predict. If he winds up in GR though, I will indeed be disappointed.

The minutes themselves may fluctuate, but I'll say this.... I'll be very surprised if by the end of a [healthy] season Seider has not averaged 18+ minutes a night.

I am also a pessimist when it comes to having expectations for guys. I should probably change that way of thinking some. It would be a lot more fun to see Seider rip apart the NHL, for instance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Victor Hedman started his career by playing 20:51 on his first season and 21:01 on his 2nd seasons (Same aged which Seider is now)

On this 3rd season he played 23mins.

That's what I expect for Seider. Hronek could be 1st in minutes for first season, but on second season, Seider takes the minute-lead and never gives that situation back.

RD
Hronek - 22min
Seider - 21min
Lindström - 17min

LD
Leddy - 22min
DeKeyser/MStaal/UFA - 19min
DeKeyser/MStaal/UFA - 19min

Reactions: 14ari13

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I bet Seider will be solid defensively but it will take a couple years for the points to show up in the NHL. My guess is he’s second to Leddy in TOI this year. No way is he going to GR.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I like looking back at how good he was at camp even 2 years ago. And while that's just scrimmages, he's doing the exact same things he's been doing at the AHL, SHL, WJC, WHC..

And he has an entire offseason to get stronger and better..

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
20 pages for this trade?
Its the first actual transaction of note since our season ended, so why not twenty pages?
Its always nice to see the passions of our fan base come alive on this forum. Agree or disagree with what's being discussed, I always love reading through the collective thoughts on our board - we've got a really informed, intelligent and passionate group of fans here.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
im thinking martinezwouldnt mind coming back to michigan . and yzerman in big need of a top 4 left d wouldnt mind paying him well on a short term deal of 3 years as we dont need cap space til then anyway . then youve leddy n martinez to mentor seider , plus create a top 4 d with stability that begins establishing the system / style of detroits defense for newbies to learn from

martinez-hronek
leddy-seider

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
im thinking martinezwouldnt mind coming back to michigan . and yzerman in big need of a top 4 left d wouldnt mind paying him well on a short term deal of 3 years as we dont need cap space til then anyway . then youve leddy n martinez to mentor seider , plus create a top 4 d with stability that begins establishing the system / style of detroits defense for newbies to learn from

martinez-hronek
leddy-seider

At this point we're literally one top four LD and resigning Bernier away from having a mildly respectable back end that's going to be able to move the puck up the ice and out of our zone. We're still going to struggle to score goals, but we're not going to be playing with patchwork D anymore.

Reactions: Ricelund

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
At this point we're literally one top four LD and resigning Bernier away from having a mildly respectable back end that's going to be able to move the puck up the ice and out of our zone. We're still going to struggle to score goals, but we're not going to be playing with patchwork D anymore.
yes thats what i want too . i dont want rook's coming up into a swirling tornado anymore . and i would be for trading a vrana for a young d prospect in the ahl thats ready to start playing partial or full nhl season so we can start getting d established . even if hes an offensively limited big bodied rugged stay at home type that plays on second pairing with an hronek . very interested in seeing what yzerman does this summer . though concerning bernier i dont doubt a contender offers him big coin and a shot at the big hardware

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
yes thats what i want too . i dont want rook's coming up into a swirling tornado anymore . and i would be for trading a vrana for a young d prospect in the ahl thats ready to start playing partial or full nhl season so we can start getting d established . even if hes an offensively limited big bodied rugged stay at home type that plays on second pairing with an hronek . very interested in seeing what yzerman does this summer . though concerning bernier i dont doubt a contender offers him big coin and a shot at the big hardware

I don't want rookies coming up into a swirling tornado... so I'm going to trade a veteran player for a rookie that would be coming up in a swirling tornado.

You sign the offensively limited stay at home type D. Those aren't the type you pay much in the way of assets for.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

If we get another legit top 4 dman that is able to move the puck, I think people are going to very surprised to see how much better our offense looks at least 5 on 5. I still think we might struggle some on the PP because we still lack a guy to really run the PP unless maybe Raymond makes the team and really takes off. Berggren, Larkin, Fabbri, Vrana, and Zadina are guys I think will excel once we actually have the D to have a transition game again. We are really built more as a counter punch team than a puck control team at the moment.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Would love for us to really embrace the youth movement up front and have both Berggren & Raymond up full time as well as Veleno.

I’ve thought of this a couple ways either re upping Glendenning and going with Larkin- Veleno- Rass-Glenny down the middle or acquiring a top 6 C through trade/FA and having Veleno and Rass slide to the 3/4 hole. Ideally if we can get a youngish top 6 C that would be great if not I’m okay with Veleno being pushed into that role. I want skill skill skill on the wings and that’s why I love having both Berggren and Raymond up full time. Something like this I would be perfectly fine with if we didn’t make any big moves.

Bert- Larkin- Raymond
Vrana- Veleno- Zadina
Berggren- Rass- Fabbri
Erne- Glenny- Svech/ Smith

Leddy- Seider
Martinez/ Oleksiak- Hronek
Cholo- Lindstrom
DK

Bernier
Greiss

I love the top 9 wingers and think we will have a better offense because of them + the additions of Leddy, that other top 4 D and even Cholo as he is a great puck mover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad