Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Nick Leddy (mod warning post #224)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Edvinsson will babysit Hronek

I don't think he is ready for it. I think Oilers and Sabres have made that mistake too many times by pushing young players too early too fast.

I highly doubt that. Sure DDK has been a good soldier, but Yzerman didn't sign him. And Yzerman is trying to make this team better, not worse.

I think DeKeyser is far better than what this board think of him. I also think Yzerman also wants reward the players who have done their best for the organisation. It seems like the culture of the organisation.
Staal has been rock solid for us in his role.
We will see how it all folds out rest of the season.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am pretty bummed to see Leddy fall off in this way. I was initially comfortable with the trade thinking adding some legit top 4 talent to the roster would help younger players develop even if that veteran presence wasn't elite talent. We also desperately needed a transition game and getting out of our zone cleanly. He has not helped much and I have to go in hind sight and side with the people hating the trade. Turned out to be quite the waste.

Reactions: Gniwder

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I don't think he is ready for it. I think Oilers and Sabres have made that mistake too many times by pushing young players too early too fast.

I think DeKeyser is far better than what this board think of him. I also think Yzerman also wants reward the players who have done their best for the organisation. It seems like the culture of the organisation.
Staal has been rock solid for us in his role.
We will see how it all folds out rest of the season.
I also think DeKeyser, while bad, isn't as bad as people think. I don't know if I'd extend him but he's been better than some people playing with Seider.
upload_2022-2-1_13-1-36.png

upload_2022-2-1_13-2-17.png

Top is DeKeyser, bottom is Oesterle. Both results are bad but one I'd much rather have than the other.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I also think DeKeyser, while bad, isn't as bad as people think. I don't know if I'd extend him but he's been better than some people playing with Seider.
View attachment 504027
View attachment 504028
Top is DeKeyser, bottom is Oesterle. Both results are bad but one I'd much rather have than the other.
Many posters here neither watch the games nor check the stats. They learn their hockey by reading the discussions here. And when they get caught several times that they are wrong they delete their profile and create a new one and start all over again. Some of them have several profiles so they can like their own posts. Lol.
This statement won't make me popular, but I was not popular in the 1st place. That's probably a compliment.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think the last couple of years soured the fans on DDK. He does appear to have 2 functioning legs now, but he's still slower and weaker than everyone else. He looks OK only because Seider is that good.

I would offer DDK a PTO in case Edvinsson isn't ready for the NHL. Similar to what the team did with bobby Ryan. No need to sign him to a contract unless the team gets super desperate preseason.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
DDK is terrible. The puck is an absolute hand grenade to him at this point. He folds to even a decent forecheck. He's simply too slow. He's been important the past couple years, because his awful contract has helped Detroit reach the cap floor, while he also has ineffectively munched minutes, helping this team suppress its record.

His back injury 2 years ago did him in. He was waived twice last season, placed on the taxi squad three times, and while he's returned to some semblance of a decent defenseman for little stretches this season if you squint hard enough, his time with the Wings is running out. Literally. His minutes have dropped in recent weeks, his role reduced. Oesterle has eaten into his time, likely because it is now clear DDK will have no trade value, and Oesterle is signed beyond this year.

If DDK is back in Detroit next season, I will eat my hat.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Back to Leddy.... funny thing is, Detroit will be in the exact same position this off-season as last. They'll need to acquire a guy who can play top-pair LHD minutes.... unless you think Edvinsson can step right into that role, but I think that's mighty foolish for a GM to bank on.

And just like last year.... why would any top-pair-caliber defenseman sign with Detroit? I mean, I concede it's possible, but realistically Yzerman is going to have to get creative again, and likely spend an asset.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Now I want him back.

If Edvinsson isn't on the team, and if Staal isn't re-signed, and if Detroit decides DDK is still durable enough to play a full season..... it's possible. A 1-year, $1M contract kinda thing. But I'm betting against it.

There are some delicious hats out there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Edvinsson isn't on the team, and if Staal isn't re-signed, and if Detroit decides DDK is still durable enough to play a full season..... it's possible. A 1-year, $1M contract kinda thing. But I'm betting against it.

There are some delicious hats out there.
Is that like edible underwear?

The problem is that Stevie isn't going to hand out a long term contract with all of the LHD prospects he has in the system, so the choices will be limited. He probably signs Staal.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Is that like edible underwear?

The problem is that Stevie isn't going to hand out a long term contract with all of the LHD prospects he has in the system, so the choices will be limited. He probably signs Staal.

Kinda. I typically prefer the edible underwear because of the..... associated activities.

I'd bet he prefers Staal too. He's older, but he's an Yzerman signing and doesn't have the health concern. DDK getting a letter this year is not nothing though, there may be a path for him to return if the planets align for him.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Is there any free agent LD that won't break the bank you would go after? I haven't seen a lot. Ben Chiarot comes to mind but likely could get moved at the trade deadline. Looks like he was a + player before their disaster in Montreal. My feeling Staal will stay, Stecher will be gone as well as DDK and Leddy. Next year Seider, Hronek, Lindstrom, Edvinsson, Oesterle, and a free agent D or trade will be our D. There is a chance though Leddy could stay on a one year maybe two year deal.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is there any free agent LD that won't break the bank you would go after? I haven't seen a lot. Ben Chiarot comes to mind but likely could get moved at the trade deadline. Looks like he was a + player before their disaster in Montreal. My feeling Staal will stay, Stecher will be gone as well as DDK and Leddy. Next year Seider, Hronek, Lindstrom, Edvinsson, Oesterle, and a free agent D or trade will be our D. There is a chance though Leddy could stay on a one year maybe two year deal.

De Haan, Edler, Maata. Giordano might be a guy we can get for a shorter term but at some point I have to think he's going to want to rent himself out to a winner for a year or two.

I'm going to keep with the idea that our significant add on the blueline will be a trade, though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Many posters here neither watch the games nor check the stats. They learn their hockey by reading the discussions here. And when they get caught several times that they are wrong they delete their profile and create a new one and start all over again. Some of them have several profiles so they can like their own posts. Lol.
This statement won't make me popular, but I was not popular in the 1st place. That's probably a compliment.

What is this? Dekeyser only looks reasonable because of Seider. If he had played with Leddy or Hronek all year, he would look as bad as he has for like 3-4 seasons. Even with Seider he is still below average at virtually everything he does.

Apparently we have a whole bunch of accounts I have never seen nor heard from that keep saying he is no good in the NHL anymore. I recognize most posters who say the same things, so who are all these people making 2nd accounts to run down Dekeyser?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Back to Leddy.... funny thing is, Detroit will be in the exact same position this off-season as last. They'll need to acquire a guy who can play top-pair LHD minutes.... unless you think Edvinsson can step right into that role, but I think that's mighty foolish for a GM to bank on.

And just like last year.... why would any top-pair-caliber defenseman sign with Detroit? I mean, I concede it's possible, but realistically Yzerman is going to have to get creative again, and likely spend an asset.

I think we need to expect a slower transition for Edvinsson, as Seider is in a category all his own and very few rookies, especially defenceman come to the NHL and are ready to play top minutes right away.

Reactions: jaster

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
De Haan, Edler, Maata. Giordano might be a guy we can get for a shorter term but at some point I have to think he's going to want to rent himself out to a winner for a year or two.

I'm going to keep with the idea that our significant add on the blueline will be a trade, though.

Calvin de Haan is looking pretty bad for Chicago right now. I have been watching the 9 minute condensed games for a lot of team lately and every time the Hawks are playing, he seems to make a brutal play or read on a goal against.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Calvin de Haan is looking pretty bad for Chicago right now. I have been watching the 9 minute condensed games for a lot of team lately and every time the Hawks are playing, he seems to make a brutal play or read on a goal against.

Wait till you watch a full Hawks game. He's doing his best to channel his inner Brendan Smith.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

I like DeHaan's game and think it could be a good veteran addition for our bottom pair in the offseason.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Have you seen him this season? It isn't pretty!

Not like we're thinking about signing him to a 6 year deal. 2 years at most for low $ or we don't bother. We just need a depth defenseman to replace DDK/Leddy. And Chicago is a horrible team. He could actually be better for us than with Chicago. He's serviceable in a 5/6/7 role. He'd be our new Oesterle.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Not like we're thinking about signing him to a 6 year deal. 2 years at most for low $ or we don't bother. We just need a depth defenseman to replace DDK/Leddy. And Chicago is a horrible team. He could actually be better for us than with Chicago. He's serviceable in a 5/6/7 role. He'd be our new Oesterle.
Why would we need a new Oesterle when we will still have Oesterle?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yeah, but low money or not, he is playing as bad as Leddy without the puck movement that Leddy can bring.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
they are easily able to trade him for a 2nd at the deadline

I hope so, but the advanced stats, the traditional stats, and the eye test are all just brutal for Leddy. I’d be happy if we got a 3rd.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

He's looked worse since going to Chicago three years ago, but I'm not sure if that's de Haan or if that's Chicago. I look at the team and I don't see him getting a lot of help out there. If we're paying him accordingly to come in and be that 6/7 guy on the third pair who eats some PK time, it's a gamble I wouldn't be against.

If we're looking at guys we can get a bit on the cheap we're looking at guys who are either old and/or tarnished.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think we need to expect a slower transition for Edvinsson, as Seider is in a category all his own and very few rookies, especially defenceman come to the NHL and are ready to play top minutes right away.

Was just going to make this comment. The excitement over Seider seems to be influencing people’s opinions on Edvinsson. Edvinsson is a stud for sure but suggesting Edvinsson will be able to carry NHL vets as a rookie is a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3