Rumor: Wings a finalist to sign UDFA F Ben Meyers (University of Minnesota) - News: Signs with Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
He can turn pro, but I think there's a solid chance he does another year in the WHL.

I haven't heard anyone in the org comment on where they see Cossa next year actually - if anyone knows I'd be curious to hear.

he’s gonna be 20 in November so I can’t imagine what playing another year in the CHL will accomplish.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Speaking of NCAA guys, what’s everybody’s opinion on possibly signing Dryden McKay?
Pass on McKay. He had a great college career but I don't think he has great pro upside. If I was going to poach from Minny St. I'd take a flyer on the defenseman, Livingstone.

Reactions: bedtime20

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Cossa can turn pro after this season so I can’t imagine a scenario where we bring in another kid to platoon with him in GR.

HOT TAKE: Cossa plays like crap in Grand Rapids and goes to the ECHL for a conditioning stint in GR.

With Ben Simon as coach down there I don’t think GR is a good spot for any of our youngsters, most of all a goalie.

Reactions: bedtime20

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
1st rounders never go back to junior as overagers.
It's not really his overage season though....it would only be his draft +2 year. The November birthday gives him the advantage of being able to play in the AHL if the team wants and if he were pushing for a spot. But nothing at this point is indicating that he's ready for that jump. I think it would be a horrible look if they rush him to the AHL and he flounders around on his way to a demotion to Toledo. Maybe he takes the reigns during the WHL playoffs and redeems himself at the Summer WJC in August and they decide that he actually is ready....who knows. But it's not the end of the world if he plays his D+2 back in the dub.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
It's not really his overage season though....it would only be his draft +2 year. The November birthday gives him the advantage of being able to play in the AHL if the team wants and if he were pushing for a spot. But nothing at this point is indicating that he's ready for that jump. I think it would be a horrible look if they rush him to the AHL and he flounders around on his way to a demotion to Toledo. Maybe he takes the reigns during the WHL playoffs and redeems himself at the Summer WJC in August and they decide that he actually is ready....who knows. But it's not the end of the world if he plays his D+2 back in the dub.
He will be 20 in November. That is an overager in jr.

Reactions: 13to40

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
He will be 20 in November. That is an overager in jr.

Yes.

Historically; goalies take much longer to develop.

Historically; bigger players take longer to develop and grow into their bodies

We have a massive human who’s playing goalie.

Patience will be needed from all the growing pains and warts that may come with them.

This is the type of prospect who can become a bonafide #1 starter/potential top goalie in the league if developed the right way, so if he seems to need the extra year in junior, I don’t see a problem.

His development isn’t a race and it sure most definitely isn’t a sprint either.

Reactions: SirloinUB

bcjr13

Oct 29, 2018
I guess not surprised. Rumors of the young core fed up with Blash. He probably didn’t want to play for him.

Reactions: lilidk

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Can't hate on a guy signing up to start his career in a depth role for a Cup contender. That will probably be a really good opportunity for him, even if he might have technically gotten more minutes elsewhere.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Anyone else surprised he signed with the Avs? They have a lot of prospects under contract already plus I don't see him playing for the team since they're still playing for home ice advantage (tied with FLA at 110 pts).

Seems like he'd have a much easier path to the NHL through Seattle....

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Anyone else surprised he signed with the Avs? They have a lot of prospects under contract already plus I don't see him playing for the team since they're still playing for home ice advantage (tied with FLA at 110 pts).

Seems like he'd have a much easier path to the NHL through Seattle....
I’m surprised and don’t get why he would have signed with them. There is just no
Path for him to play on the top lines

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
I’m surprised and don’t get why he would have signed with them. There is just no

There will be after this season. Kadri, Burakovsky and Nichushkin are all UFA's. So is Kuemper. Kuemper won't block him from playing, obviously, but will command a raise to stay that may very well price at least one more of these guys out (they very likely can't keep them all anyways).

Reactions: waltdetroit

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Honestly I think that a path towards top six minutes likely played a smaller role in his decision that folks anticipated. Frankly, Meyers is probably not a guy who is going to be logging those minutes in the NHL, so I can respect why he'd rather grind out a bottom six role for an excellent team than get caved in on our third line, for example. Not to mention that, for a lot of folks, Denver is a pretty nice draw.

I think it's easy for folks to forget that playing for a subpar team in southeast Michigan is a pretty tough sell for a lot of guys. It's one thing when you're next to Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg or Yzerman, Fedorov, and Bowman, for example. But free agents likely aren't forming a long queue to commute from Northville to log third line minutes on a subpar Wings team.

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
Honestly I think that a path towards top six minutes likely played a smaller role in his decision that folks anticipated. Frankly, Meyers is probably not a guy who is going to be logging those minutes in the NHL, so I can respect why he'd rather grind out a bottom six role for an excellent team than get caved in on our third line, for example. Not to mention that, for a lot of folks, Denver is a pretty nice draw.

I think it's easy for folks to forget that playing for a subpar team in southeast Michigan is a pretty tough sell for a lot of guys. It's one thing when you're next to Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg or Yzerman, Fedorov, and Bowman, for example. But free agents likely aren't forming a long queue to commute from Northville to log third line minutes on a subpar Wings team.

It's not hard to see the logic in this decision for him. He knows he is going to a great team and he's also going to have a chance to play a significant role in the very near future.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

He's not even a sure thing to be on an NHL roster, and obviously the Avs roster is harder to crack. I was thinking more like Seattle which has almost no prospects, and are playing Sheahan and Kuhlman right now. My only guess is that no team offered him NHL games this season.

Denver is much nicer than Detroit, but once you get out in the suburbs it's all pretty much the same. I've lived in Westminster, CO and worked in Milford, MI. If anything Denver is getting pretty crowded. I'd rather live there because I ski, but NHL contracts usually prohibit high risk sports. Cost of living is significantly lower in MI as well, I think taxes are about the same IIRC.

Seattle sucks though, there's really no suburb, it's one big traffic jam. I try to stay away from the city as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad