Rumor: Wings a finalist to sign UDFA F Ben Meyers (University of Minnesota) - News: Signs with Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Excellent, the Wings can offer him an immediate role. Where would he play on a loaded Wild team?

I think they would find a spot him for to get games in before the playoffs. Playing in your home state likely holds some appeal though.

He would probably finish the season playing on our third line if he signed here though. You’re not wrong about the immediate role.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He's outscoring his teammate Knies, who is the #6 prospect in ALL of hockey, so this could be a HUGE get. /s
My top 20:

1. Power
2. Edvinsson
3. Boldy
4. McTavish
5. Johnson
6. Knies
7. Wallstedt
8. Beniers
9. Eklund
10. Niemela
11. Quinn
12. Knight
13. Raty
14. Rossi
15. Clarke
16. Holtz
17. Macelli
18. Hughes
19. Reichel
20. Nick Robertson

Hm: Sanderson, Byfield, Cossa, Wright, Perfetti

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
"In terms of the NCAA, he's an everyman," a scout said. "Minnesota can just throw him into any matchup and he'll succeed. Meyers can take over shifts. The right NHL team could make use of him throughout the lineup."

Source

Looks like he doesn't really fit into Minnesota's picture :

'' With Minnesota, the questions about whether or not he can make the jump to the NHL and help now is a huge question. Add in the logjam for the next wave of prospects, and the situation gets muddy. There’s no such thing as having too many options when you’re an NHL GM like Bill Guerin. That is until you have to figure out how they all fit into the organization. ''

Source

He would be a free asset for the Wings and could play a role in the bottom six for years to come.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I think they would find a spot him for to get games in before the playoffs. Playing in your home state likely holds some appeal though.

He would probably finish the season playing on our third line if he signed here though. You’re not wrong about the immediate role.
Yeah, I mean they’re holding Rossi down in the AHL because of roster and cap space, Minny is loaded with prospects who want to play now, that’s why they lost McBain. I get the home appeal but he can immediately play in Detroit and find his niche.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's outscoring his teammate Knies, who is the #6 prospect in ALL of hockey, so this could be a HUGE get. /s

Knies is a superior player. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play in the NHL next season.

Myers might be a something, but probably just a good bottom 6 guy.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Meyers could be a fan favorite if his game translates to the NHL. His makeup is similar to that of Mazur and Mastrosimone. High compete, huge motor, infectious leadership, and enough skill to chip in some offense. The Wings need players like that to translate to NHL success stories, they currently have too many passive players imo.

He's a Minnesota boy, through and through, and his preference is surely to play for the Wild, but the Wings probably have a decent shot at him given the wide gap in opportunity. Meyers is NHL-ready and can step right into Detroit's lineup. There's a high likelihood he gets lost in the shuffle in Minnesota though.

Go get him, Stevie.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
These guys don’t usually amount to much more than depth guys but we’re short on quality depth too so it can’t hurt to give him a chance. Hope we land him. Maybe he knocks it out of the park and becomes an Andrew Copp type, we could use an unexpected win.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Knies is a superior player. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play in the NHL next season.

Myers might be a something, but probably just a good bottom 6 guy.

Also Meyers is 4 years older than Knies.

Not comparable AT ALL. :help:

Could be next Luke Glendening on the making. With better scoring.

11 years ago, 23-year old Luke Glendening was undrafted Grand Rapids native, playing as Captain for Michican University. Now 23-year old Ben Meyers is Minnesota-native, playing as Captain for Minnesota University...

Red Wings was loaded on those days and he still signed to nearby team. Expect the same in this case. They pick the hometown team, especially because it's having success. Young players avoid losing teams, no matter what you try to sell them. Blaa blaa that we are a future winner and could give a better opportunity.

They pick the better team from hometown. It's special to play in front of your family etc. When you can choose, everybody will choose that.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Also Meyers is 4 years older than Knies.

Not comparable AT ALL. :help:

Could be next Luke Glendening on the making. With better scoring.

11 years ago, 23-year old Luke Glendening was undrafted Grand Rapids native, playing as Captain for Michican University. Now 23-year old Ben Meyers is Minnesota-native, playing as Captain for Minnesota University...

Red Wings was loaded on those days and he still signed to nearby team. Expect the same in this case. They pick the hometown team, especially because it's having success. Young players avoid losing teams, no matter what you try to sell them. Blaa blaa that we are a future winner and could give a better opportunity.

They pick the better team from hometown. It's special to play in front of your family etc. When you can choose, everybody will choose that.

I would gladly take another Glendening on this roster. The guy was shit offensively but he at least played with some heart, which is more than we can say for 2/3rds of Detroit's roster.

Reactions: SoupNazi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I mean... yeah. what's that got to do with this?

Izlez mentioned that he's got more points than Knies. My point is that doesn't matter because they're going to be different players in the NHL. Drink a coffee, man. Wake up so we can talk prospects.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Meyers is not a Luke Glendening, let's just get that straight. Meyers has a motor and excellent compete, but LFG's was on another level. And Meyers does not have LFG's defensive game. Depending on how he translates to the NHL, Meyers has a little to a lot more offense though. Meyers is less a shutdown player and more a Swiss army knife.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Meyers is not a Luke Glendening, let's just get that straight. Meyers has a motor and excellent compete, but LFG's was on another level. And Meyers does not have LFG's defensive game. Depending on how he translates to the NHL, Meyers has a little to a lot more offense though. Meyers is less a shutdown player and more a Swiss army knife.

So basically a poor man's Vladislav Namestnikov who fetched us a 4th at TDL?

Reactions: jaster

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I mean... yeah. what's that got to do with this?

Izlez mentioned that he's got more points than Knies. My point is that doesn't matter because they're going to be different players in the NHL. Drink a coffee, man. Wake up so we can talk prospects.
For the record, I know that there is no comparison to make there and you can't just look at stats. I threw a /s in there.

I had just seen the ridiculous list that put Knies as the 6th best prospect in the world, and his name popped up when looking at Meyers' stats, so I made a bad joke

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Remember Hirose and Kuffner?

This kid is 23, older than Veleno, Seider, Raymond, and Raz. He's also NHL size at 204 lbs.

Throw this kid in and bench Erne or send Hirose back down. There's room on the roster for this kid.
What about the other NCAA UFA's we signed in the past. I am causiously optimistic, but lets wait and see

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What about the other NCAA UFA's we signed in the past. I am causiously optimistic, but lets wait and see
They both played 10 games that season. That's all I was getting at, if he signs he'll play because I'm sure that will be part of the agreement.

I would love to see Erne sit and have to watch a college kid take his place. Erne deserves a swift kick in the ass.

Reactions: Oddbob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad