Rumor: Wings a finalist to sign UDFA F Ben Meyers (University of Minnesota) - News: Signs with Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Some people on this board exist to complain, it's annoying as f***.
Oh come on. I thought I was sufficiently over the top with my angry reaction that it clearly was a joke. (But in a much more real sense, I was ultra hangry when I posted that one. We could have signed Larkin to 5y, 30m extension and I would have been upset.)

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Oh come on. I thought I was sufficiently over the top with my angry reaction that it clearly was a joke. (But in a much more real sense, I was ultra hangry when I posted that one. We could have signed Larkin to 5y, 30m extension and I would have been upset.)
No I knew it was a joke lol

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You might not get the appeal - but that doesn't mean there isn't appeal
Most hockey players are from smaller cities though. I mean Ben Meyers is from Delano, MN with a population of 5,464. If anything he might of picked Denver because the city isn't as big., and it's a safe city as long as you don't venture into certain neighborhoods.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Most hockey players are from smaller cities though. I mean Ben Meyers is from Delano, MN with a population of 5,464. If anything he might of picked Denver because the city isn't as big., and it's a safe city as long as you don't venture into certain neighborhoods.
Most 23 year olds aren't worried about small town life.
People from small towns don't really start thinking about returning to small towns until they're old enough to have kids in school.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Some people on this board exist to complain, it's annoying as f***.
I think most of the reactions in this thread are to posts about him not wanting to come here because “Detroit is Baghdad” or “he wants a chance at a Cup” like he’s a 10 yr veteran. I actually like Carter Mazur better so I’m not too upset, but it’d be nice to have signed him because it’s a free asset and he would have gotten playing time here to maximize his potential.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think when they were talking to Eric Haase the other night he said something along the lines of "I'm the only Tiger who lives in Detroit," which, good for him.

Back in the day, no Red Wings lived in the city of Detroit. But the city has come back to a degree, and so I guess it wouldn't shock me if a token Wing or two actually live there now. None of the guys rich enough to buy a McMansion though lol.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Exactly my point. Everyone bags on Detroit and most players live in the suburbs, and the suburbs are as nice as any other if not nicer.
I don't really agree with that. All the cities I've been in I feel like even in the nicer suburbs of Detroit there are always a higher percentage of people around I really don't want my wife/kids near than in other cities suburbs. Passing through Detroit highways, not really impressed with what I see compared to other cities. Just a lot of rough people all over that area. I feel like some rougher areas extend further out where most cities rough crowds are mostly condensed to the inner city or closely outside. Maybe it has something to do with Detroit being a city that exploded in growth so long ago.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't really agree with that. All the cities I've been in I feel like even in the nicer suburbs of Detroit there are always a higher percentage of people around I really don't want my wife/kids near than in other cities suburbs. Passing through Detroit highways, not really impressed with what I see compared to other cities. Just a lot of rough people all over that area. I feel like some rougher areas extend further out where most cities rough crowds are mostly condensed to the inner city or closely outside. Maybe it has something to do with Detroit being a city that exploded in growth so long ago.
Wtf?

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
The suburbs are the suburbs.
What Detroit lacks is nightlife. A scene for a 20-something millionaire or soon to be millionaire.
I think downtown Detroit already offers a lot to do for young adults, in fact, in the Pistons season end press conference Coach Casey commented that the players were staying all summer because they have embraced the city and enjoy going out in Detroit. Again, not comparing it to cities like Chicago, but Detroit is not what it was 20 years ago, it’s much better and continuing that trend with all the new developments going on

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think downtown Detroit already offers a lot to do for young adults, in fact, in the Pistons season end press conference Coach Casey commented that the players were staying all summer because they have embraced the city and enjoy going out in Detroit. Again, not comparing it to cities like Chicago, but Detroit is not what it was 20 years ago, it’s much better and continuing that trend with all the new developments going on

Detroit's problem is its reputation. There is a ton to do up and down woodward whether you're in downtown, midtown or the suburbs like Ferndale, Royal Oak or Birmingham. It's not nearly as glamorous as New York or LA, but it's better than advertised.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The suburbs are the suburbs.
What Detroit lacks is nightlife. A scene for a 20-something millionaire or soon to be millionaire.
The area has better, more diverse, living options than it once did, but it is still largely a suburban existence. It isn't going to speak to people looking for the energy of more densely-populated living or a more pedestrian-friendly lifestyle. Most kids these days in their early 20s aren't looking to live in suburbia. It doesn't surprise me that he landed in a city that attracts a lot of young transplants his age. The Wings just need to focus on creating the best work environment possible and hope that it helps overcome the other deficiencies with the market that they have no control over.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad