Rumor: Wings a finalist to sign UDFA F Ben Meyers (University of Minnesota) - News: Signs with Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Any chance he's friends with a budding defenseman?

Who has family in the Metro Detroit area?

So we could see a reverse Parise / Suter? :D

Dnulecir will be completely caught off guard because his sources will tell him it's not going to happen. Then, he'll have to change his name to something else.

Reactions: Ricelund

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Kufner 2.0?
Some players adapt and some don't. For every Glendening (Biggest season was 21 points in NCAA and he made the Wings and is now an NHL regular), there's a Kuffner (52 points in biggest NCAA season, but only played a handful of games) I guess.

Bottom line is that the asset is free, the Red Wings wouldn't spend a draft pick for him or trade for him, and that's a win.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
"In terms of the NCAA, he's an everyman," a scout said. "Minnesota can just throw him into any matchup and he'll succeed. Meyers can take over shifts. The right NHL team could make use of him throughout the lineup."

Source

Looks like he doesn't really fit into Minnesota's picture :

'' With Minnesota, the questions about whether or not he can make the jump to the NHL and help now is a huge question. Add in the logjam for the next wave of prospects, and the situation gets muddy. There’s no such thing as having too many options when you’re an NHL GM like Bill Guerin. That is until you have to figure out how they all fit into the organization. ''

Source

He would be a free asset for the Wings and could play a role in the bottom six for years to come.
Minnesota is going to need cheap rookies who can play for the foreseeable future.
Can't see why they wouldn't need him.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
His numbers not as good as Hirose, but I have no idea how his defensive game, Hirose is 0 for example. Unfortunately videos on YouTube doesn't give much information

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Minnesota is going to need cheap rookies who can play for the foreseeable future.
Can't see why they wouldn't need him.
Because they have no room for him eight now. Their best prospects are playing in the AHL because there is no room or cap space.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
They both played 10 games that season. That's all I was getting at, if he signs he'll play because I'm sure that will be part of the agreement.

I would love to see Erne sit and have to watch a college kid take his place. Erne deserves a swift kick in the ass.
For every good NCAA UFA's, we have had meh NCAA UFA players that went nowhere for us like:

My point is, let's wait and see

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Meyers is not a Luke Glendening, let's just get that straight. Meyers has a motor and excellent compete, but LFG's was on another level. And Meyers does not have LFG's defensive game. Depending on how he translates to the NHL, Meyers has a little to a lot more offense though. Meyers is less a shutdown player and more a Swiss army knife.

Who would your player comparison be for him? Hes actually put up really good offensive numbers at every level hes played at.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I remember how excited I was to sign Dekeyser out of college, how'd that go?
We got a solid 2nd pairing defender and didn’t even have to use a draft pick for it.

Not really DeKeyser’s fault that Holland failed to replace Lidstrom or Kronwall and he had to play up to a level he wasn’t fit to be at. Or that he f***ed his back up and is no longer an NHL caliber defender.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Bad teams should leave no stone left unturned, so in that sense I’m glad we’re doing our due diligence here.

That said, I don’t really see Meyers as an NHL difference maker. Not to say we shouldn’t take a swing here, but I would keep my expectations pretty tempered.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Elite prospects did a feature on UFA NCAA guys and ranked him as the most likely to succeed in the NHL ... the only one more likely than not to succeed, is what they said.
Solid bet for a third liner with transition value.
There aren't a lot of hockey websites worth paying for.
EP is way more worth it than bullshit from The Athletic, IMO.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For every good NCAA UFA's, we have had meh NCAA UFA players that went nowhere for us like:

My point is, let's wait and see

College UFAs are more likely to miss than hit, only a handful have become impact players. The point of mentioning Kuffner was that he played for the Wings after signing. That's all, don't read any more into that.

But I would love to see Erne's ass parked in the pressbox while he watches a college kid take his spot on the ice. That'll motivate him next season, and that alone would be worth signing the kid.

Also, at least we'll have something to watch even if the team gets blown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad