Rumor: Wings a finalist to sign UDFA F Ben Meyers (University of Minnesota) - News: Signs with Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Detroit just isn't a big destination spot right now.
Only three reasons for someone to sign in Detroit.
1) We overpay.
2) Some Michigan connection
3) We offer an opportunity others can't (IE, nobody else wants them, in some cases)

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Detroit just isn't a big destination spot right now.
Only three reasons for someone to sign in Detroit.
1) We overpay.
2) Some Michigan connection
3) We offer an opportunity others can't (IE, nobody else wants them, in some cases)

Agreed. And here, he was limited to an ELC on #1 and he didn't have #2.

#3 was probably our pitch and it sounds like he didn't bite on that.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I guess not surprised. Rumors of the young core fed up with Blash. He probably didn’t want to play for him.
Seider and Raymond? They have not played a whole season yet.
Larkin and Bertuzzi? It might happen Bertuzzi wants to move on, but I doubt Larkin does.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I mean, if you told me I could choose between playing a depth role for a Stanley Cup contender, or a middle-six role on possibly the worst team with the worst coach in possibly the worst city in the NHL.......yeah, that's not even a choice.

Just another example of why this team has a very long rebuild in front of it.

1. High combined tax (city of Detroit, state, sales, gas)
2. Poor city
3. Bad team
4. Few assets
5. Terrible coach glued to the team

Until we bite the bullet and start trading assets for good players on contract (i.e. Chychrun) this team is going to have a hard time building a good enough roster to attract free agents or keep our own. No way is this team going to draft a player at 10 that can step into the NHL within 4 years, and lol if you don't think guys like Raymond, Seider, Larkin, Bertuzzi are going to be looking for exit points by then.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I mean, if you told me I could choose between playing a depth role for a Stanley Cup contender, or a middle-six role on possibly the worst team with the worst coach in possibly the worst city in the NHL.......yeah, that's not even a choice.

2. Poor city
3. Bad team
4. Few assets

Until we bite the bullet and start trading assets for good players on contract (i.e. Chychrun) this team is going to have a hard time building a good enough roster to attract free agents or keep our own. No way is this team going to draft a player at 10 that can step into the NHL within 4 years, and lol if you don't think guys like Raymond, Seider, Larkin, Bertuzzi are going to be looking for exit points by then.

Worst city in the NHL ? Ugh no. Just no. GTFO man. What kinda post is this?

Reactions: bedtime20

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022

2. Poor city
3. Bad team
4. Few assets

Last part seems overly dramatic. Less desirable places can do just fine with acquisition and retaining top players if they have a solid foundation and an upward trajectory. We're already climbing out of the very bottom. It doesn't take that much more to start to go exponential, especially with some lottery luck. Literally one F and this team starts to look way better. Bergeron, Point, Aho, O'Reilly are all examples of 1st line C's who were drafted in the 2nd round or later and had a quick path to NHL impact. Just one hit could create a chain reaction.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Why would a guy sought after by cup contenders one of which was his hometown would sign with a team that holds the record in most EN goals allowed in the history of the league for a season? He has no ties to Michigan. Pretty cut and dry shit...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

2. Poor city
3. Bad team
4. Few assets

Do fans of every team freak out like this if some rando doesn't sign there?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Not quite, they usually blame the GM.

Capfriendly has Meyer's contract up now, I see that the Avs gave him max signing bonus for both years. He's also on the roster, so maybe they promised him a roster spot this season even if he doesn't play. $170k is decent money for hanging out with an NHL team for 3 weeks.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021

2. Poor city
3. Bad team
4. Few assets

Horrible take. Detroit is no Aouth Beach but have you been to Winnipeg? Pittsburgh? Newark New Jersey?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
LOL. Check the LA Kings board after a loss.
I'm not a big fan of Todd McClellan, but that dude has kept the Kings in the playoff hunt without Drew Doughty most of the year. Goes through the Edmonton-Calgary-Winnipeg road swing and takes 5 out of 6 points.
Loses a game at home?
Everyone wants him fired. Fans are fans wherever you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad