Rumor: Wings a finalist to sign UDFA F Ben Meyers (University of Minnesota) - News: Signs with Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
College UFAs are more likely to miss than hit, only a handful have become impact players. The point of mentioning Kuffner was that he played for the Wings after signing. That's all, don't read any more into that.

But I would love to see Erne's ass parked in the pressbox while he watches a college kid take his spot on the ice. That'll motivate him next season, and that alone would be worth signing the kid.

Also, at least we'll have something to watch even if the team gets blown out.
Erne is really living rent free between your ears these days isn't he...

Yzerplan91

Mar 15, 2022
He's gonna be 24 and we have a ton of kids coming, free agency,trades. Couldn't care less about if we get this kid or not

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Meyers plays a pretty complete game. I'll agree with what Jaster said earlier that his D-zone accumen could use some work. Aside from that, there's not a lot of holes in his game. He's a late bloomer that would be worth taking a chance on, even if it gives me gerd to have former Gophers on the team.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Who would your player comparison be for him? Hes actually put up really good offensive numbers at every level hes played at.
Man, I'm not great at coming up with comps haha. One name that pops into my head though is Patrick Eaves. Not the young Patrick Eaves, but what Eaves evolved into later in his career. Shorter, stockier, good skater, good two-way play (though this is still kinda developing for Meyers), lots of effort, some sneaky offense. Hopefully without the injuries. But that's what Meyers kinda resembles now, as an older college guy. How well that translates to the NHL, who knows. Guys like this often wind up changing their game in order to survive. The upside is attractive though, at least to me.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Man, I'm not great at coming up with comps haha. One name that pops into my head though is Patrick Eaves. Not the young Patrick Eaves, but what Eaves evolved into later in his career. Shorter, stockier, good skater, good two-way play (though this is still kinda developing for Meyers), lots of effort, some sneaky offense. Hopefully without the injuries. But that's what Meyers kinda resembles now, as an older college guy. How well that translates to the NHL, who knows. Guys like this often wind up changing their game in order to survive. The upside is attractive though, at least to me.
The 32 goal season version of Eaves? I'll take that...

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Remember Hirose and Kuffner?

This kid is 23, older than Veleno, Seider, Raymond, and Raz. He's also NHL size at 204 lbs.

Throw this kid in and bench Erne or send Hirose back down. There's room on the roster for this kid.
This was what I was gonna say, this sounds a whole lot like Hirose a couple seasons back. Expectations are pretty minimal, but might get lucky if he lands here. I wouldn't bank on him being any kind of difference maker.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Haven't been to Minnesota, eh? ;)
Sure have. And people say the same about Winnipeg. Players get a small window of time to go live elsewhere playing the game they love. Being at “home” isn’t what many think. Many also do not go back “home” when finished playing either for variety of reasons .

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sure have. And people say the same about Winnipeg. Players get a small window of time to go live elsewhere playing the game they love. Being at “home” isn’t what many think. Many also do not go back “home” when finished playing either for variety of reasons .
There are people who do go overboard with the "hometown" aspect, I can agree with that. But with most cases in Minnesota, it's real. Winnipeg is not really comparable. The hockey culture in Minnesota is not only rich, it is exclusive relative to the rest of the US. Not every player will try to stay there, sure, but the likelihood is much higher than in other states. The tether is much stronger in Minnesota.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
They lost 5-1. Was invisible. I suspect we will have interest in that.

I don't think one game of invisibility is going to weigh heavily, just like if he had one fantastic game it wouldn't. People making these decisions are not swayed by one event.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Guerin spoke candidly about playing in your hometown not being such a great thing during his Chiclets interview earlier this season - saying it was a distraction for him and created more work regarding organizing tickets, socializing, spending extra time with friends and family, dealing with the "friends" who come out of the woodwork, etc. during his time as a Bruin, and how he talks with some current players about it now.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out regarding Meyers. Will he just completely flip the script in that negotiation?

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't think one game of invisibility is going to weigh heavily, just like if he had one fantastic game it wouldn't. People making these decisions are not swayed by one event.
Not saying it would. But he was invisible in the biggest game of his life to this date and that's something we should be interested in was my point...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's down to Detroit and Minnesota, Still think he stays home and signs with the Wild.

If I had the choice of playing a handful of games in the NHL or playing for the AHL affiliate of my home team, I'd go with the former.

All Stevie has to do is to promise him 5 games this season and I bet he signs. Minnesota is still playing for playoff positioning, they're only one point above the Blues.

Note: Iowa is less than half the distance compared to Detroit, but either way he's not gonna be playing at home.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
We actually have very few forwards coming in or up

Soderblom and Berggren look like good bets to play in the league.

After that there’s…

Mazur. I think he’s got a greater than 50% chance to make it.
Niederbach. Probably less than 50% but could change depending on his next season.

Mastrosimone. Less than 35% chance to play in the NHL. BU is getting a new coach so hopefully we see some big changes at that program and Mastro actually gets to play first line minutes. My gripe here is the last 2 years saw Mastro lower in the lineup for guys that were simply bigger than him and not better.

Beyond these guys I don’t think Detroit has any other forwards that have a shot. Maybe Ethan Phillips becomes another Stevens, but that’s not a great outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad