Post-Game Talk: Wings 1, Leafs 4, Bozie with the Shorty, we Win

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
hey this isnt a golf game... where u clap every 10 seconds

this is a hockey game where people are piss drunk, throw beer around and SWEAR !

and of course chant GO LEAFS GO, GO LEAFS GO
not for 10 seconds and then stop

come on man stop being suits

ark

Awesomesauce
Jul 16, 2007
Markham, Canada
I was at the game, it wasn a decent win, our forecheck/cycle game really needs to be worked on, especially on the PP. We're deadliest when we're on the rush, we can't rely on that too much. The game wasn't that loud, not many Go Leafs Go chants, I've been to much louder games.

Then there was a fight between a drunk Leafs fan and a drunk Wings fan, the guy in the Lupul jersey punched the Wings fan after they started shouting at each other and shoving at each other. The Wings fan was bleeding and everyone rushed to stop them before anything else happened.

kQkjwjpl.jpg

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I just don't think the crowd is going to be that insane for a while. It's been a decade of futility and mediocrity. I think they need to go a month without a horrifying disaster of a game before one can ask for huge progress excitement wise.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we played a very good game overall.

I think these forward lines are much better. The top line doesn't dominate offensively which is somewhat worrisome... however they're going keep putting up points regardless, so I'm still happy with how our top line looks.

Kadri looks much better with his new line mates. Komorov is great at creating space for Kadri (same with Santorelli too).

Holland I think is a great centre for Winnik and Clarkson... I think they're a very strong checking line that is great on the forecheck... Holland and Clarkson are pretty good goal scorers too... so I think they'll be able to contribute with goals. The goals might not all be pretty, but they'll count.

I'm very happy with our 4th line... and it's going to get a lot better when we get Lupul, Booth and Kozun back.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010

this is a hockey game where people are piss drunk, throw beer around and SWEAR !

This guy knows what's up.

GO LEAFS GO

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

So, it seems that "suit" is a now a term for anyone who isn't a drunken idiot who disrespects his fellow patrons.

If you can only enjoy a hockey game in that kind of condition, perhaps you're not much of a hockey fan and more a fan of being an annoying drunken a-hole.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
What's really bugging me is the jersey throwing. Sometimes it happens when the Leafs are just down but can come back but even if they're being blowing out, the action is a huge no-no. This is especially the case if you grew up playing hockey where the team's logo is something sacred.

As for the Leafs, they are far from a contender and the preseason thinking that they'd be fighting for the last playoff spot is something of a reality. No matter how skilled you are or where you're drafted, the fact of the matter is you need to be able to cover all 200 feet of the rink competently. Kadri is trying to shore this up, Holland was drafted as a two-way guy so I have really high hopes for him, and Bozak seems to be adequate in this regard. Right now, our center depth is suspect defensively and that is something that will bleed throughout the lineup. This is something that needs to be fixed and a first overall guy like McDavid or his cohorts in the draft will not be able to fix that for us single-handedly.

Interesting to note how RC's Anaheim coaching tenure saw the team decline in quality. How Getzlaf's captaincy was being questioned near RC's end. Could the Leafs be a Ducks 2.0?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
So, it seems that "suit" is a now a term for anyone who isn't a drunken idiot who disrespects his fellow patrons.

If you can only enjoy a hockey game in that kind of condition, perhaps you're not much of a hockey fan and more a fan of being an annoying drunken a-hole.

The atmosphere is far from the norm. It isn't commonplace to see vacant seats 2 minutes into play after intermission. The chants aren't as loud as smaller arenas. These are just some complaints I'd think players might have.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I've watched many post game interviews of Phaneuf and I've never EVER seen him as relaxed and comfortable answering questions than he did tonight. He seemed so at easy and happy. I know (well, think) he likely has a different side that we don't easily see as fan and his more 'like-able' side was really showing.

Was there a longer delay before the end of the game and the interview than normal?
Anyone else notice that he spoke better and clearer and more spontaneous than usual?

I know he's mentioned before that directly after a game he has a hard time coming down off the intensity of the game and getting his emotions back to normal - so to speak!

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
my two cents is -it's different in theplayoffs, because playoff atmosphere is different than the regular season. I don't personally think it makes you bad fan to go to agame and watch it. i've stated this constantly: Where is it written that you HAVE to go to a live game and be ahuman noise box. Regardless of what players think/appreciate by having the"sixth man" or what other arenas do - I want to WATCH the game. and no the answer isn't "so watch athome." because watching the game live is DIFFERENT than watching it at home.

You can't watch and cheer at the same time?

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Didn't know that pointing out the obvious was trying to get a rise from people. Bozak and Holland are drawing the harder competition and producing. Holland switched from producing with Uncle Leo, and Santo to Clarkson and Winnik because Kadri couldn't do anything with the latter. Now Holland comes in and keep producing. End of the day Kadri needs to get better, which everyone will agree with.
Kadri is playing great. Hockey people know that. Box score watchers don't.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I just don't think the crowd is going to be that insane for a while. It's been a decade of futility and mediocrity. I think they need to go a month without a horrifying disaster of a game before one can ask for huge progress excitement wise.

If you're honestly that jaded, why go to the games? I can think of much better things to do than waste a grand on something that doesn't 'excite' me.

I really don't get this fan base sometimes...

emilio3645

Oct 6, 2009

I can ask you the same thing.
So being a drunken idiot is now a term for anyone who is trying to truly support their team into playing well instead of just being happy when they do?

I am from Egypt. They don't even serve alcohol at games. Our team has been losing to our rivals for decades now.
Yet every game, the fans are as loud as ever, we have hope this year it'll be different.

I am not picking a debate with those who just want to watch the game. There will always be some, and I don't think telling them to just watch at home is fair. The game is so much better live. It just disappoints me that the majority is of this kind.
Having been to various sports games on three different continents, it's amazing what a loud and constantly cheering crowd can do. Actually, I think we see it in the playoffs here.
I truly believe in the "6th man" and wish the leafs, being the storied franchise we are, would be one of the toughest arena to play in, because we have the most passionate fans.
A cultural shift in the way we support our team can go a long way to improving performance.
It also makes the live game performance an incredible one.

Again, I am not a sports hooligan or generally a crazy guy, but we should make home ice advantage actually count, not just in the playoffs. Even if it's not completely in your personality to be loud and cheer, do it for your team.
I think if we actually realized the impact this would have, we would change the way we view the noise.

We need some TML chants and songs, it's too boring only having "go leafs go" to say. It's not easy to sustain either.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA

Now that you mention it.Any game that I've been at I haven't seen alot of people drunk.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
I can ask you the same thing.
So being a drunken idiot is now a term for anyone who is trying to truly support their team into playing well instead of just being happy when they do?

I am from Egypt. They don't even serve alcohol at games. Our team has been losing to our rivals for decades now.
Yet every game, the fans are as loud as ever, we have hope this year it'll be different.

I am not picking a debate with those who just want to watch the game. There will always be some, and I don't think telling them to just watch at home is fair. The game is so much better live. It just disappoints me that the majority is of this kind.
Having been to various sports games on three different continents, it's amazing what a loud and constantly cheering crowd can do. Actually, I think we see it in the playoffs here.
I truly believe in the "6th man" and wish the leafs, being the storied franchise we are, would be one of the toughest arena to play in, because we have the most passionate fans.
A cultural shift in the way we support our team can go a long way to improving performance.
It also makes the live game performance an incredible one.

Again, I am not a sports hooligan or generally a crazy guy, but we should make home ice advantage actually count, not just in the playoffs. Even if it's not completely in your personality to be loud and cheer, do it for your team.
I think if we actually realized the impact this would have, we would change the way we view the noise.

We need some TML chants and songs, it's too boring only having "go leafs go" to say. It's not easy to sustain either.

One word is the solution CHEERLEADERS.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
He speaks slow because he has to really concentrate on trying to be a good PR guy. It ends up coming off very disingenuous and IMO is why he is mostly disliked. You can't believe anything he says because he doesn't even believe it.

You guys are worse than the media sometimes. Give the guy a break. Talking publicly in a fishbowl market is not easy so I don't blame him with treading lightly in interviews. On fact, it's a smart thing to do around these parts.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive regarding this topic because I'm more of a small crowd speaker myself but man you guys need to lay off a little.

rustysvetz

Dec 16, 2009
Toronto
I was at the game, it wasn a decent win, our forecheck/cycle game really needs to be worked on, especially on the PP. We're deadliest when we're on the rush, we can't rely on that too much. The game wasn't that loud, not many Go Leafs Go chants, I've been to much louder games.

Then there was a fight between a drunk Leafs fan and a drunk Wings fan, the guy in the Lupul jersey punched the Wings fan after they started shouting at each other and shoving at each other. The Wings fan was bleeding and everyone rushed to stop them before anything else happened.

Lol. Fighting at a sporting event. Classy!

Great game by the Leafs lets keep the trend going. So peaceful here without all the atodaso's by the realists.

leafstilldeath*

We saw a win based on strength down the middle with strong performances from centres Bozak, Holland and even Kadri.

its not rocket science. Center position is arguably the most important position after goalie.

There is a reason that teams with good center depth have done well in modern hockey from Bruins to Hawks to Kings to Habs to Canucks (some degree) etc...

Bozak has been playing well but lets not put him on a pedestal. The empty net goal yesterday and the assist on EN goal by Polak the other night are two even strength points that Bozak has scored in a long while.

Note: Bozak didn't touch the puck on JVR goal against the bolts but got the Assist.

Its not about how well someone plays in one game but how well they play in a season and how that play results in the success of the hockey club.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
its not rocket science. Center position is arguably the most important position after goalie.

There is a reason that teams with good center depth have done well in modern hockey from Bruins to Hawks to Kings to Habs to Canucks (some degree) etc...

Bozak has been playing well but lets not put him on a pedestal. The empty net goal yesterday and the assist on EN goal by Polak the other night are two even strength points that Bozak has scored in a long while.

Note: Bozak didn't touch the puck on JVR goal against the bolts but got the Assist.

Its not about how well someone plays in one game but how well they play in a season and how that play results in the success of the hockey club.

His unassisted shorthanded goal was the difference of the game, the winner. Great individual efforts can win games. No one can finish one on one like Bozak, this is a skill, and this skill sealed 2 points last night, as did his face-off proficiency. It's funny people are willing to say Kadri made a great play when he makes a hit and didn't touch the puck, but when Bozak wins a puck battle to set of JVR it is not the same value. Ironic isn't this?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
His unassisted shorthanded goal was the difference of the game, the winner. Great individual efforts can win games. No one can finish one on one like Bozak, this is a skill, and this skill sealed 2 points last night, as did his face-off proficiency. It's funny people are willing to say Kadri made a great play when he makes a hit and didn't touch the puck, but when Bozak wins a puck battle to set of JVR it is not the same value. Ironic isn't this?

Last night's game highlighted the diverse skills of the Leafs centres:

- Kadri's physical game sparked the rush that caused the first goal (he levelled Kronwall of all people, which is awesome)

- Bozak's shorty highlighted his great PK ability (although he did lose the draw on that one but recovered very well) and the skill that he has on that nifty backhand

- Holland's goal really showed his north-south speed with his two way game, making a great defensive play and then bursting down the ice from a near dead stop .. And then finishing it off with the good shot he has

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Points are Points. Doesn't matter if they are 5v5 or on the PowerPlay or share handed.

Last season Bozie was getting points 5v5, but wasn't getting the bounces on the PP.

This season, Bozie is getting special teams points, but isn't getting the bounces 5V5.

At the end of the day, the guy has 19 points in 21 games. Anyone trying to take that away from him, just doesn't want to give him ANY credit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Last night's game highlighted the diverse skills of the Leafs centres:

- Kadri's physical game sparked the rush that caused the first goal (he levelled Kronwall of all people, which is awesome)

- Bozak's shorty highlighted his great PK ability (although he did lose the draw on that one but recovered very well) and the skill that he has on that nifty backhand

- Holland's goal really showed his north-south speed with his two way game, making a great defensive play and then bursting down the ice from a near dead stop .. And then finishing it off with the good shot he has

I would like to add Staal to the mix, one of the 3 has to go if this team wants to max out Kessel's prime years. There is still no way this Center group is winning a cup as a whole. I said a couple of wins would not change my mind on this, got my eye on the big picture.

We can keep being a hot and cold mediocre team, like last week, or we can tear it down, and rebuild. Or go for it. Ie. Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad