Post-Game Talk: Wings 1, Leafs 4, Bozie with the Shorty, we Win

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
This is more like. Two solid games in a row. Who gives a **** about the salute. Nice atmosphere in the arena tonight too.

Yea, I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent tonight. Not to much to get excited about in the 2nd period though, but overall not bad.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Holland still needs to work on his decision making with the puck in the neutral zone, but love his cycle game and offensive instincts.

Holland is 23, still lots of time to put it together.

He's played 88 NHL games.

We can't forget his parent team was the Ducks, not a bottom feeder promoting players before their time in hope someone could play.

He's on pace for 34 points, as he has 9 points in 21 games. Is that good enough for a center on a team that wants to contend?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Holland still needs to work on his decision making with the puck in the neutral zone, but love his cycle game and offensive instincts.

Yea, I think that's the hardest part in a young players game is the decision making. Time and space is a lot smaller in the NHL and it takes a couple dozen games to figure that out.

It's also easier for a forward to get away with that though instead of a defenceman.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
By far Gardiners best game in a while. Much calmer with the puck.

He was okay, no glaring mistakes which is the key for him. Not much offence either, just a so so effort. I hope this is not the expectation for him now, at 20+ M, its one small step, but he is -10 on the year with sheltered mins, before anyone can say corsi, which is a 5 v 5 stat and not an individual stat, if we made a long term commitment for corsi and little else, then he will be fine and we not so much.

emilio3645

Oct 6, 2009
Yea, I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent tonight. Not to much to get excited about in the 2nd period though, but overall not bad.

Good atmosphere?

I was at the game tonight, I was EMBARASSED at how quiet this place is.
Unless there's a goal or a dangerous chance, the place is just plain dead.
Could hear players call each other from the upper bowl.

Haven't been to a game in years, is this the norm now?

It's pretty sad.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Holland is 23, still lots of time to put it together.

He's played 88 NHL games.

We can't forget his parent team was the Ducks, not a bottom feeder promoting players before their time in hope someone could play.

He's on pace for 34 points, as he has 9 points in 21 games. Is that good enough for a center on a team that wants to contend?

As a #3C? Yeah 34 points is most definitely enough on a team that wants to contend. More than enough

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Good atmosphere?

I was at the game tonight, I was EMBARASSED at how quiet this place is.
Unless there's a goal or a dangerous chance, the place is just plain dead.
Could hear players call each other from the upper bowl.

Haven't been to a game in years, is this the norm now?

It's pretty sad.

I said decent, not good.

Sure, it's saturday night at home against a solid team. But what's the point in getting worked up about things that we already know. Corporate seats, blah blah....

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I said decent, not good.

Sure, it's saturday night at home against a solid team. But what's the point in getting worked up about things that we already know. Corporate seats, blah blah....

And some fans are just not random noisemakers. For example, I tend to react when things happen, but I don't chant or jump up and down just to make noise. I'm sorry if fans like me ruin the experience -- but I'm there to watch a hockey game.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okay. I have to do this.

winter_classic-4.jpg
winter-classic.jpg

that is bernier right? #45?

and we're playing Detroit?

and then this happened

620-bozak-blog-thumb-620xauto-343346.jpg
2014_01_02_08_13_40.jpg

Did they not write down Bernier's name that day? Did we retro-actively lose?

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
I said decent, not good.

IF you thought that was a decent crowd, then you my friend should check out a Panthers' in person my friend. You're in for a real treat. :shakehead

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
And some fans are just not random noisemakers. For example, I tend to react when things happen, but I don't chant or jump up and down just to make noise. I'm sorry if fans like me ruin the experience -- but I'm there to watch a hockey game.

I would say that I'm exactly like you Rojac. I don't start chants, but I'll join in and I clap for 4th line grinders that sustain pressure or a guy that is outworking 3 others on the penalty kill.

emilio3645

Oct 6, 2009
I said decent, not good.

Yeah but it seems to me the majority were actual fans not "suits" or all that.

Fans like you don't "ruin" the experience, but I guess I was kind of shocked that this was the VAST majority. I come from a soccer background. Cheers/Chants etc..
I understand watching the game, but a loud home crowd one that can chant and fuel the players is a much more difficult place to play for opponents.

Perhaps this is why "Home Court/Ice/Field Advantage" is a much bigger advantage in other sports. Especially soccer, where the fans are quite loud.

I am not a loud person myself, but I wouldn't call chants or cheering random noise, it's to give motivation to the players.

Not so much getting worked up as much as I wish the ACC would be a tough place for teams to play. Kinda how it is when the raptors play.

Maybe would be cool if there were some nice leafs chants/songs that are more creative than "go leafs go" because that dies out quicker than it starts.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
IF you thought that was a decent crowd, then you my friend should check out a Panthers' in person my friend. You're in for a real treat. :shakehead

I've been to Southern Florida for a game. Different feel for a game down there. I also had a couple pops, so it might have been a good feel to the game anyways.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yeah but it seems to me the majority were actual fans not "suits" or all that.

Fans like you don't "ruin" the experience, but I guess I was kind of shocked that this was the VAST majority. I come from a soccer background. Cheers/Chants etc..
I understand watching the game, but a loud home crowd one that can chant and fuel the players is a much more difficult place to play for opponents.

Perhaps this is why "Home Court/Ice/Field Advantage" is a much bigger advantage in other sports. Especially soccer, where the fans are quite loud.

I am not a loud person myself, but I wouldn't call chants or cheering random noise, it's to give motivation to the players.

Not so much getting worked up as much as I wish the ACC would be a tough place for teams to play. Kinda how it is when the raptors play.

I like the debate of fans coming from different sports. I think it's intriguing to understand where people come from in that aspect.

There are huge differences like you mentioned. But you also have many things that differ between the games.

How often would you have Man City and Man United fans on the same side of the field? You would very rarely see that. But you would see Leafs and Sens/Red Wings/Habs fans sitting side by side no problem.

Also, if Manchester City or United (for argument sake, just used them because of the market size) hadn't won a title in 40 years, how much would people actually support the team?

AlexMo89

Sep 29, 2014
Loved our team game tonight. I think it was the best team game we've played in a long time. It wasn't just one line or one individual. It was everyone, loved it!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's just the media; I don't think the majority of actual fans give a ****.

This. The standing ovation towards the end of the game is proof.

I'm glad Elliot Friedman had the sense to state how ridiculous the topic was in the post game show.

AlexMo89

Sep 29, 2014
It was nice to see. Hopefully we keep it up against the Pens next week. We need to stay in the zone - no distractions.

PS - I thought an honourable mention should be given to Winnik....thought he was solid tonight defensively and on the draws (he ended up taking them in the 3rd)

Agreed. All lines chipped in and they did it in all aspects.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Shanahan stated this in his interview. [paraphrase here]. Minus a few misguided people, (and he understood what they were attempting to do, though it wasn't the right thing to do, and they could have found other ways to get their attention).

[hockey] fans IN Toronto - are sophisticated fans. they are there and they WATCH. they'll cheer and support afterwards (if there's agood effort), and he pointed out where Kessel's line had awhole minute + of sustained pressure. if there are good plays and what not - theyll cheer, and they'll go back to watching the game.

my two cents is -it's different in theplayoffs, because playoff atmosphere is different than the regular season. I don't personally think it makes you bad fan to go to agame and watch it. i've stated this constantly: Where is it written that you HAVE to go to a live game and be ahuman noise box. Regardless of what players think/appreciate by having the"sixth man" or what other arenas do - I want to WATCH the game. and no the answer isn't "so watch athome." because watching the game live is DIFFERENT than watching it at home.

it's different ON the road (I think mostly, because there are more fans can afford tickets, and they make an experience of it) and thats their decision

but I dont think toronto fans are crap fans for not being human noisemakers and i don't think they should be taken to task for it. if after the game, and if it was a good game, they get the standing O, and applause and everything they want. if they do a good hockey move in game they get a chant, and a handclap. if they score a goal, they;ll get a cheer. the end. move on.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Good game and love the game by our centers tonight....all 4 had good games and when your centers play well you will win more then you lose. Bernier had a whale of a game and was a rock all night long.

The salute was there at the end of the game and you could see Robidas asking about what they are going to do.....

Losing Polak is rough but our D stepped and I thought that Gardiner and Robidas had very good games....Robidas was very physical and took a boarding penalty but I can live with aggressive penalties. Rielly continues to make better and better reads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad