Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
No misconception here. The list of swings and misses for US players is long. But every now and then…
Sure. Right now Bowler needs to build a much better roster in order to entice these players. Even when the Spits were really good Fowler, Watson weren't there right away. Kenny Ryan was an 07 pick but didn't show up until the 09-10 season. Bowler needs to be negotiating from a position of strength and presently he isn't.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Sure. Right now Bowler needs to build a much better roster in order to entice these players. Even when the Spits were really good Fowler, Watson weren't there right away. Kenny Ryan was an 07 pick but didn't show up until the 09-10 season. Bowler needs to be negotiating from a position of strength and presently he isn't.
Agreed. Ryan played out his NTDP years before landing with Windsor. Same could happen with Wathier or he could go like Butcher, Keller and others who move from NTDP to NCAA.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Agreed. Ryan played out his NTDP years before landing with Windsor. Same could happen with Wathier or he could go like Butcher, Keller and others who move from NTDP to NCAA.
With a chance of the "rules" changing on recruitment this draft may work out much better than normal. Kids can play north and then go NCCA later on may just be the ticket for both the OHL and NCCA. Let's hope they get it right.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
With a chance of the "rules" changing on recruitment this draft may work out much better than normal. Kids can play north and then go NCCA later on may just be the ticket for both the OHL and NCCA. Let's hope they get it right.
I agree it would be a major swing. The only issue is insiders to the NCAA think it could be still 12-18 months away from being adopted. Hoping it is much sooner. Game changer for potential NHL prospects having a backfill to tgmhe NCAA at home if try don't make the big show

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Like i said months ago. Way to many players over rated! This group just isnt that good. Again thats on BB and the coaching debacle!
A great example would be look at Cristoforo plummets from 101 to 190. Jared Woolley has only played 37 OHL games and is 173. Cristoforo has 130 game body of work OHL 1st rounder. Woolley was a 6th round pick. Please tell us why Bowler is deemed good at his job?? Maybe he has an eye for talent it's a shame he hasn't built a development model for players to thrive.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So, the U18 Draft is tonight. Windsor with the first pick. Do they go after a scoring F or stick to the D?
Good question, the one advantage is Windsor gets to take the guy they desire forward or D by picking 1st overall,not worry about said player,myself I like 2 or 3 guys,one a Dman Jonathan Kapageridis who has 17 points in 18 games as a callup to Coburg in the OJHL,played 1 regular season had 1G,2A,and now in 17 games in their playoffs has 4G,10A,14 Pts, a 6'-170lbs but isn't aggressive
As well I am intrigued by a Center,Trent Gates who has late birthday doesn't turn 17 till Oct had 82 points in 33 games in U18 hockey,34G,48A,30 Pims.
Another forward Russian born Ivan Mentiukov-6'3"-190-LW had 91 points in 90 games U18 with 70Pims is intriguing.
Really torn where to turn and because u have 2 picks in top 21 selections you may get what u want without even taking a goalie.
Remember to get 3 picks on this draft you need to draft goalie in 1 of your 1st 2 picks,otherwise only 2 picks allowed.
Should be interesting what Windsor does tonight certainly different then picking 19th the last 2 drafts.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The debate of Cristoforo remains. He either runs the team or the coaching needs to be all fired. Last year and this season, he was praised for his offensive efforts. No one said he needs to line players up and hammer them, but lack of positional play and no attempts to clear players from out front is his undoing in the draft rankings. Maybe he is unreachable/unteachable by the staff?? or they don't care. Either way his development to move forward out of this league to the next level has taken a serious hit especially with similar sized players Woodall and Eichler with less experience proving to be better defensive assets and improving each game in. Call it what you want but at -43 and have 31 more points than Toms at -46 is horrible. 38 points total is not worth the defensive liability. He was like 25th in league D scoring. No-one suggests Toms returns nor I. Just my opinion. I believe 74 needs a fresh start elsewhere. Woodall can puck up any lost offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad