Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
The goalie in leamington had a stellar year. Certainly an option. Dont think you see the US kid for 2 years if at all. Hes a good one tho.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So it was posted somewhere but I think the U18 draft is Wednesday? Looking at this weekend's draft I have a suspicion they will be taking a goalie early? It is a bit of a weaker spot for the team so do we think they will look to address this through this draft or through a trade? Can't see them going that route in the Euro draft as a top D should come from there. Any thoughts?

Bowler mentioned earlier that it's Costanzo/Froggett (most likely) next season, so I can't see them taking a goaltender in the top spot. Round two? Very possible for depth. But, top guy has to be someone who can step in right away or be a significant depth piece.
Ok, I was not sure on Frogget's progress but good to hear. I was thinking about the gap in-between those 2 and this year's draft. Also who is that 3rd goalie now that could bridge that gap if one of them struggles or an injury happens? Guess I'm not really up on the Spits goalie depth beyond Frogget and Costanzo?

The name I've heard floated around is Paolo Frasca, who was in the same draft as Froggett. Not sure if that's still the case or not.

Reactions: ohloutsider

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Froggett is already 18. We can hope he can provide good goaltending but he has hardly played in the OHL.
Sorry I thought Froggett was an 07. If an 06 he should have been here last year. Upside I guess is that if he was he he would have been shelled and confidence broken, maybe irreparably.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
At first I thought we should have picked Wassilyn, being a big centre. Happy with our pick now.
1713177784403.png

I got a chuckle out of this picture. Wassilyn must have been wearing his skates.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Sorry I thought Froggett was an 07. If an 06 he should have been here last year. Upside I guess is that if he was he he would have been shelled and confidence broken, maybe irreparably.
Froggett came in last night in relief, and played well. Unfortunately, his Nats fell in 7 games to St. Mary's. I like his game, positionally sound, athletic.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Froggett came in last night in relief, and played well. Unfortunately, his Nats fell in 7 games to St. Mary's. I like his game, positionally sound, athletic.
Thanks Nelli. Not sure how to tell about him being left in the OJ this season. With Windsor’s lack of D acumen maybe his development was better there. Shortens his tenure in Windsor though. If the U.S. goalie decides to sign, it gets interesting as he can’t be moved to the OJ. Ideally you’d like to go With he and Forgett but both rookies is too risky. And US goalie will likely want a roster spot to sign.

Thanks Nelli. Not sure how to tell about him being left in the OJ this season. With Windsor’s lack of D acumen maybe his development was better there. Shortens his tenure in Windsor though. If the U.S. goalie decides to sign, it gets interesting as he can’t be moved to the OJ. Ideally you’d like to go With he and Forgett but both rookies is too risky. And US goalie will likely want a roster spot to sign.
Sorry how to feel

Does anyone know if the 4 16 yo limit includes or excludes goalies?

Reactions: nelli27

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

Sorry how to feel

I have never seen Goalies excluded in that rule so suspect they are one of 4 roster spots. Precarious position for Bowler on how to divy 3 playing spots per game. Could roster goalie, (if he comes this year and signs) with Belchetz, Hicks, Lemieux. Send Brockelkhurst Jr B if you can, (listed born Canada but dual citizenship it appears) and Robinson to JrB this season and rotate not dressing either Lemieux and Hicks when Windbiel dresses between Froggett and Costanzo. Or send Lemieux or Hicks to Jr B if you must tender Brockelkhurst a playing roster spot. Not sure if US player can "say" agree to report and be loaned to Jr B . Option B. Brockelkhurst and Windbiel stay USA side 1 more year and then come over. A debacle to be sure. And what if another Flier says sure. Headaches abound.

Reactions: punch1943

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
A
I have never seen Goalies excluded in that rule so suspect they are one of 4 roster spots. Precarious position for Bowler on how to divy 3 playing spots per game. Could roster goalie, (if he comes this year and signs) with Belchetz, Hicks, Lemieux. Send Brockelkhurst Jr B if you can, (listed born Canada but dual citizenship it appears) and Robinson to JrB this season and rotate not dressing either Lemieux and Hicks when Windbiel dresses between Froggett and Costanzo. Or send Lemieux or Hicks to Jr B if you must tender Brockelkhurst a playing roster spot. Not sure if US player can "say" agree to report and be loaned to Jr B . Option B. Brockelkhurst and Windbiel stay USA side 1 more year and then come over. A debacle to be sure. And what if another Flier says sure. Headaches abound.
Almost Positive US players can’t be sent to Jr B

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Does anyone know if a "rule" exists that a USA born player cannot be loaned to a junior B team? I know it maybe a condition for one to sign but is it actually a rule?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
T
Does anyone know if a "rule" exists that a USA born player cannot be loaned to a junior B team? I know it maybe a condition for one to sign but is it actually a rule?
There is a rule that a 16yr old drafted US player can't be sent to another league in Ontario but can have their rights held if they play in the US somewhere. Medina comes to mind.
Now to actually find something in writing, good luck lol.

Reactions: OHLTG and Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
T

There is a rule that a 16yr old drafted US player can't be sent to another league in Ontario but can have their rights held if they play in the US somewhere. Medina comes to mind.
Now to actually find something in writing, good luck lol.
It might be a hockey Canada rule to not take spots away from Canadian born players.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It might be a hockey Canada rule to not take spots away from Canadian born players.
I'm not sure, my thinking it is based on US recruitment. Talk the kids into coming north, giving up other opportunities and then sending them to a lesser league, not a good look or a future recruitment maybe lost. But again I wish someone could find and post the actual rule?

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
For example the BCHL is not sanctioned by Hockey Canada. Likely Junior B is. That is probably the caveat to this "rule". Also noteworthy non-sanctioned league players are not eligible to play U18 for team Canada. New rule September 2023. Need to be a lawyer to figure this shit out lol

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Sorry how to feel

I realize that they need to get a goalie but it won't be easy to get him here. People forget that they drafted Trey Augustine years earlier and he's never showing up. I'm not bothered that they took Augustine just a cautionary tale. Spits have a lot of work to do even after Fri/Sat.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Funny how we go from “Spits are awful, they need the draft to be good or they’re doomed for eternity” to post a good draft (on paper) of “we have too many good picks” lol

I’m shooting for an 07’ in the Euro Draft if at all possible obviously, BPA at 3rd overall.

I think there is faith in Costanzo for the next two seasons. We have a good US goalie drafted, but a 16 yo goalie getting regular playing time in 2020+ OHL? Super rare. I could see him backing up Costanzo’s OA year, but unless Costanzo struggles under a good team (which he didn’t in 22-23), I think he’s the plan. We have a weak 05’ class, and he’s going to have an OA year. Costanzo/Froggett - if the Flyers wanting to come here, save one, trade one, make the decision at the deadline.

Our 04 class isn’t much as well, but I’m thinking the plan is around the 05’ OA year, as that season will phase out at least Greentree too. This year isn’t it, and we may have enough firepower to even move Abraham at the deadline if the return is good.

Get these new kids adjusted, be ready for more of em to show up next year, and hopefully get some decent picks ready to compliment them next draft.

These rebuilds are why I love OHL (and Junior) hockey.

Reactions: punch1943

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
I realize that they need to get a goalie but it won't be easy to get him here. People forget that they drafted Trey Augustine years earlier and he's never showing up. I'm not bothered that they took Augustine just a cautionary tale. Spits have a lot of work to do even after Fri/Sat.
No misconception here. The list of swings and misses for US players is long. But every now and then…

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The NHL final rankings are out. No real surprises for some I'm sure.
Greentree 1st round projected.
Spellacy 3rd round projection.
Christforo 7th round projection
Davis and Eichler not projected.

Now they are nothing more than projection lists and teams will likely see it differently.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
The NHL final rankings are out. No real surprises for some I'm sure.
Greentree 1st round projected.
Spellacy 3rd round projection.
Christforo 7th round projection
Davis and Eichler not projected.

Now they are nothing more than projection lists and teams will likely see it differently.
Davis was rated 137th.

Eichler, unsurprisingly not listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad