Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Sources tell me orientation/ rookie camp will be next Friday and Saturday.
Don't know the times re each day to be played in the community rinks
Expect an announcement and emails to season ticket holders from team next week.
That's all I have got.
Thanks Legend that’s good news. It would be even better if a few of the flyers dropped in to check out the arena.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Sources tell me orientation/ rookie camp will be next Friday and Saturday.
Don't know the times re each day to be played in the community rinks
Expect an announcement and emails to season ticket holders from team next week.
That's all I have got.
Would be nice if they announced a new coaching staff before...

Reactions: OHL 17

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Logic says wait until the pro seasons are done, then figure out who's available and go from there. If that means Torres et al. are running a potential Orientation Camp, then that's fine.
ho-hum..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
It's funny to believe a current coach/ assistant that is still playing hockey right now obviously on a good team would want to regress to the OHL unless there is an ownership stake involved.

Reactions: windsor7

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It's funny to believe a current coach/ assistant that is still playing hockey right now obviously on a good team would want to regress to the OHL unless there is an ownership stake involved.
An assistant in the AHL that may want a OHL Head coach position to pad their resume '? Isn't this the route that Rocky Thompson took? Isn't the same scenario that Mann has taken in Kingston? Not that all far fetched.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
An assistant in the AHL that may want a OHL Head coach position to pad their resume '? Isn't this the route that Rocky Thompson took? Isn't the same scenario that Mann has taken in Kingston? Not that all far fetched.
Yes. It does happen. Not far fetched but both Thompson and Mann came off teams that didn't make the playoffs. Savard was out of a job for almost a year before the Spits hired him. My point was those types of coaches are available now. Coaches still coaching today are on teams still in the playoffs.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Right now, none of us have a list of who's available and who's not. We know Bowler wants to get the situation settled as soon as possible but, until then, Torres is the HC and Newbury is his assistant. We can like that, we can hate that, but it's reality right now.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
As a Leaf fan since Barilko “I’m not amused” . to inflict the likes of Keefe on the Spits is disgusting.
I honestly believe he’s a far superior junior/AHL coach than he is in the NHL. He’d instantly be a top 3 coach in the OHL.

I wish Wellwood was up to it. That would be great for the players, organization, and fans

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
No. We've learned Bowler is stealthy not divulging any hints or leaks. Tight to the chest he is. Poker player.
one name that continues to get noise is greg walters, him and newbury are very tight.

Bowler's made some obvious moves (Smith) and some moves that few saw coming (deadlines + Savard). Nobody can say he's not tight-lipped, though.
savard was out there for a while. not that secret.

Reactions: rve24

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
one name that continues to get noise is greg walters, him and newbury are very tight.

savard was out there for a while. not that secret.
Walters is suspended until June 30th. Who knows. Maybe not a good look having 2 suspended coaches for of ice issues. We need a better destination look imo for new players.

Reactions: TheGremlin

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Walters is suspended until June 30th. Who knows. Maybe not a good look having 2 suspended coaches for of ice issues. We need a better destination look imo for new players.
correct, i think he was going to windsor before he was suspended. one of the reasons newbury went there, im sure walters paved the road for him.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Right now, none of us have a list of who's available and who's not. We know Bowler wants to get the situation settled as soon as possible but, until then, Torres is the HC and Newbury is his assistant. We can like that, we can hate that, but it's reality right now.
The Spits fired Jerrod Smith 5 months ago. Even after Bowler hired Smith he should have a succession plan in case anything happened. If you don't then you're not doing your job. If I waa to wager Torres wasn't that succession plan over the past 5 months.

Reactions: OHL 17 and windsor7

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Guelph Storm has fired coach Chad Wiseman
I’ve liked wiseman, seems crazy, I’m here for it.

Wellwood seems the safe answer. You’ll never please everyone, but if Wellwood was interested, it seems like it would work. OHL head coach experience, with success, on one of the two worst organizations in the last decade. (Windsor isn’t the other one, I promise you)

I don’t think anyone from the NHL is leaving to come here… but I could see some of the coaching hood up be based on positions at that level. There very well could be option A, who would make for a great head coach here, that may also be eyeing an AHL head coach job or an assistant position at the NHL level.

While I’d love Windsor to be our coaches first pick, from a business perspective, and a career perspective… if Bowler is eyeing top candidates… I’m sure there’s other teams elsewhere interested.

I know there’s a solid 50/50 on people that like/hate bowler… but I’ve had a lot of fun watching the last 3 years.

The overachieving season in 22’ where we made it to game 7 of the Finals in Hamilton, incredible series to be at.

The conference champions in 23’. Bummer about the playoffs still, but clinching first in London? Super fun regular season & push at the end to experience.

The full rebuild beginning in 24. The trades, seeing what picks got brought in, the draft lottery, the first overall section, seeing the top kids that are going to be coming here, high import pick to come…

I have no say in the matter, I’m along for the ride, and I’m having fun seeing all stages of junior hockey be played out at a high level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00