Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Last pick another D. Very Happy with Bowlers picks. A few fliers which is not a wasted pick when you had 15 picks. Can only sign so many players so he had the affordability to do so. Great job, imagine if a couple report even in the future. Not unheard of a USHL player coming over to a contending team a couple of years in.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I missed most of the picks today but it feels like Bowler accomplished what he set out to do.

Belchetz is Belchetz.

Lemieux is a scrappy, offensive kid who Newbury seems to really like.

Hicks is a strong dman and a leader. You need that.

Brocklehurst is small but very offensive and plays with a bite. He seems to like the OHL, too, so that could be a monster get.

Robinson knows Belchetz so maybe there's a connection there?

Garden's stats remind me a bit of Easton Pace. If they can get him to report, that's a nice bonus.

Six defencemen gives them plenty of options down the road.

Rosati gives them that nice local connection; maybe he can get some time with LaSalle?

I don't expect them all to get ice time with Windsor, even down the road, but Bowler seems to have taken a few swings and connected. If he can get Belchetz, Lemieux, Hicks, and Brocklehurst signed, sealed, and delivered this season, that's mission accomplished. Hopefully convince Garden to come over, whether it's this season (may be tough if they get Brocklehurst to come, too) or next. Beyond that, get a few guys into LaSalle or other Jr B clubs and keep an eye on them.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
What a great draft. I like the flyer picks. Windbiel and Garden. If they can get them to report at some point, they are golden.

I am a bit confused on how many 08's can be in the lineup. Belchetz, Lemieux and Hicks. Is there room for Brocklehurst? What if Garden wants to report this year? No spot for all these players.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What a great draft. I like the flyer picks. Windbiel and Garden. If they can get them to report at some point, they are golden.

I am a bit confused on how many 08's can be in the lineup. Belchetz, Lemieux and Hicks. Is there room for Brocklehurst? What if Garden wants to report this year? No spot for all these players.

I believe four 16-year-olds are allowed?

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Brocklehurst is a late birthday, doesn’t turn 16 until December 30th. Delays NHL draft by one year. Perhaps give him a year to grow in LaSalle? Might be better for development if he’s not physically ready. Really depends on what the Spits need to commit to to get him signed. And on who else reports ie. Garden

And nobody talking about the Wathier pick. Sure not likely to come, at least in the next 2 years while committed to USNDP but then at least a chance. Could be a great add in 2 years.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I couldn't find much about Windbiel's intentions. The Chicago Steel congratulations posted for Windsor picking him.
Screenshot_20240413_161417_Chrome.jpg

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Pretty happy with this draft. Only time will tell tho as with any draft. Could be some duds and also could be some late bloomers who turn into diamonds in the rough. Those teenage years you just never know how these boys will grow into young men and develop as players but i do think our scouts + Bowler got a good mix and a few flyers or longshots that could potentially be steals. As a fan you have to be atleast content with the job done here, Good job utilizing this draft as us diehard spitfire fans know this was a pivitol draft for the next 2-4 years to be a competitive team. We are not used to the basement, weve been spoiled for 15 years prior to this with our 3 mem cups.

I believe three of these 08's will crack this lineup. Belchetz the obvious one and i believe Hicks will potentially slot in at the 6/7. Toss up between Lemieux and Brocklehurst for the other spot. Excited for the training camp already. As always anything can happen. spots should be earned not given. Hope to get a Solid Defenceman in this upcoming import draft but because of where the Spits are drafting Bowler has to pick the Best player available that will report.

Pretty cool Carter Hicks family was the billiting family for Dickinson and Simpson. Gotta think that only helps him mentally and skill wise heading into his OHL Career. Sam Dickinson is one of the Best Defensman in the OHL so only helps going forward into this season.

The Future is Bright for our organization. Some pieces of the puzzle are there and i believe with the right coaching and effort next season that it will be a solid season and we will be competitive again, It cant get much worse then this last season but atleast the prize of Belchetz makes it a little easier to take.

Go Spitfires!!

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
The goalie is one of the best in his age group in the world. He is going NTDP. The hope is that he comes OHL after NHL drafted, instead of NCAA.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Spitfires made a few comments on each player this weekend. Noteworthy ones...

3rd rd Brocklehurst - "can't wait to see his game grow."

5th rd Wathier is a flier. USNTDP for two seasons then "we're hoping he turns pro and needs a place to play."

7th rd Windbiel - they believe he wants to come to the OHL.

9th rd Garden - "could be a steal if he shows up."

The only ones who seem questionable to report are Wathier and Garden but we all knew they'd take some swings this time.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Spitfires made a few comments on each player this weekend. Noteworthy ones...

3rd rd Brocklehurst - "can't wait to see his game grow."

5th rd Wathier is a flier. USNTDP for two seasons then "we're hoping he turns pro and needs a place to play."

7th rd Windbiel - they believe he wants to come to the OHL.

9th rd Garden - "could be a steal if he shows up."

The only ones who seem questionable to report are Wathier and Garden but we all knew they'd take some swings this time.
I never really judge a draft or players drafted until we see who shows up for camp and then after mid season to see if they live up to the hype and/or show potential. I welcome all players to Windsor and hope this works out for them. Be safe.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I really like what was done. Did pretty much exactly what was needed and it appears to have been done as it should be, by committee. Now lets hope for that home run euro player you need at #3. Then its time to address the bench. You can have great players but if the staff isnt right it wont matter!! Bug name coach could also sway the minds of a flyer or 2 as well.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So it was posted somewhere but I think the U18 draft is Wednesday? Looking at this weekend's draft I have a suspicion they will be taking a goalie early? It is a bit of a weaker spot for the team so do we think they will look to address this through this draft or through a trade? Can't see them going that route in the Euro draft as a top D should come from there. Any thoughts?

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
So it was posted somewhere but I think the U18 draft is Wednesday? Looking at this weekend's draft I have a suspicion they will be taking a goalie early? It is a bit of a weaker spot for the team so do we think they will look to address this through this draft or through a trade? Can't see them going that route in the Euro draft as a top D should come from there. Any thoughts?
Not so sure about that. By all intents Froggett played well last season and deserves a promotion to see what he can do at the next level. Joey a play and if the Spits can muster any semblance of a defence I think he’s very capable. Then if the US goalie just taken commits you have options. I’d rather the Spits look for a D man that really progressed and go that direction.

They really need to remake their D

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not so sure about that. By all intents Froggett played well last season and deserves a promotion to see what he can do at the next level. Joey a play and if the Spits can muster any semblance of a defence I think he’s very capable. Then if the US goalie just taken commits you have options. I’d rather the Spits look for a D man that really progressed and go that direction.

Froggett is already 18. We can hope he can provide good goaltending but he has hardly played in the OHL.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Ok, I was not sure on Frogget's progress but good to hear. I was thinking about the gap in-between those 2 and this year's draft. Also who is that 3rd goalie now that could bridge that gap if one of them struggles or an injury happens? Guess I'm not really up on the Spits goalie depth beyond Frogget and Costanzo?

Reactions: punch1943

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad