Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I wouldn't rule out the coaching, either.

You say I "love the rumour game... love to give sources." No. If I hear something that I can share, I do so. Sometimes it pans out. Other times it doesn't. That's normal and out of my control. I've seen times where it was a virtual lock and did a 180. Do you complain when NHL people say they've heard something and it doesn't pan out? Probably not because it's part of sports. Trust me, telling false info isn't my thing and never has been.

Most just say they r "rumors" they r hearing though....

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Bringing in FA and past picks who couldnt crack a thin lineup isn't how you build a contender. There's not much in the organization waiting in the wings, a Stevenson 2.0 or a Sirman 2.0 isn't going to solidify a contender. The 2 2nd's for Maggio really hurt as well.

Assuming 10 forwards,4D and 1 G return, meaning not coming back includes,the 3 oas,2 Finns,Playfair and Rupoli,because the o/as consisting of Corcoran, Douglas and Angle are all back,dont see how this is a thin lineup.
Only 1 player in the top point producers would not be returning based on my prediction and that is Purboo who was 6th in team scoring.
Imo team will miss Rafkin and Stevenson the most from this years past team,assuming Douglas,Corcoran and Afanaseyev all return, they dont come back that changes things no doubt.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Assuming 10 forwards,4D and 1 G return, meaning not coming back includes,the 3 oas,2 Finns,Playfair and Rupoli,because the o/as consisting of Corcoran, Douglas and Angle are all back,dont see how this is a thin lineup.
Only 1 player in the top point producers would not be returning based on my prediction and that is Purboo who was 6th in team scoring.
Imo team will miss Rafkin and Stevenson the most from this years past team,assuming Douglas,Corcoran and Afanaseyev all return, they dont come back that changes things no doubt.
Some things are better left unsaid and time will tell all. I will say you are optimistic. Hopefully the new arrivals will give us hope for the future. A sale of the team would make me much more optimistic...

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Three OAs can be replaced by this year's draft, the other two that would have been OAs are replaced by FAs or past draftees, and the two imports are replaced via the Import Draft. Yes, I believe they can continue without missing a beat.

IF they have Douglas, Corcoran, Angle, and Afanasyev, this is the season to do something. That might mean Bowler spends a bit more to get what's necessary but that happens. If the majority, or all, don't return, then that's a different story.

Sorry, I don't believe it's as bad of a situation as people want to think it is. I know we could go around and around and around some more; that's borderline normal for here. After what we saw in the first half, I'm a firm believer that the talent is there. They just need the right systems and their own confidence back. That comes together and they currently have a roster that could surprise.
Question is will both imports help this team? Will they just be average players? Do 1 or both flop?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some things are better left unsaid and time will tell all. I will say you are optimistic. Hopefully the new arrivals will give us hope for the future. A sale of the team would make me much more optimistic...

In this climate, I dont see any sale on the horizon.
If I had the money,I would not buy this team or any team in CHL.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I believe most AHL clubs will not have many spots opened up due to Covid. While CHL players graduate by year/age, AHL players graduate with experience/ talent which you are not gaining when you are not playing. Throw in the Seattle expansion draft following next season and NHL clubs will be careful with adding roster players who would then become exposed in that draft.
I think move on from TL and most of the dissension amongst unhappy players will disappear rather quickly. As I have stated many times. Flint as an example, changing a coach is far easier then changing a number of players on your team.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Completely different coaching staff wouldbe a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: OHL 17

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
You guys can go round for ever. Stop it’s a waste of time!! Yes the team is losing a min 7 skaters. So let’s go with that as fact. We don’t know who will be here for an OA year so that’s unknown. Does Affy stay? Also an unknown. In fact most of the rest is unknown. Will anyone ask to be moved, will an old draftee decide to report, will they secure to useable euro players....???? All unknown so why beat it senseless. Yes ownership is cheap and untrustworthy. Yes BB is raw. Yes TL needs to go. That’s my biggest concerns right there and should be most everyone’s!! You can be stacked and not get results because the top of the team is broken. Hell this team showed some real promise til TL changed his system, AGAIN!! No sense focusing on the kids when they aren’t the real problem!!!

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
You guys can go round for ever. Stop it’s a waste of time!! Yes the team is losing a min 7 skaters. So let’s go with that as fact. We don’t know who will be here for an OA year so that’s unknown. Does Affy stay? Also an unknown. In fact most of the rest is unknown. Will anyone ask to be moved, will an old draftee decide to report, will they secure to useable euro players....???? All unknown so why beat it senseless. Yes ownership is cheap and untrustworthy. Yes BB is raw. Yes TL needs to go. That’s my biggest concerns right there and should be most everyone’s!! You can be stacked and not get results because the top of the team is broken. Hell this team showed some real promise til TL changed his system, AGAIN!! No sense focusing on the kids when they aren’t the real problem!!!
Thanks for telling everyone what their concerns should be. I feel much better knowing i have you to let me know these things. Phew. My sunday just got a lot better.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Guess that's a question every team has to face when bringing in imports.
Every team usually has the same questions when it comes to filling out the team. Was just trying to say it not a given that The Spits will be able to fill both import spots. Yes they will draft 2 guys but no promises they make it thru the year or even start if season.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
The last couple seasons having players like Rupoli, Garagan and having no one to call up when injuries occur, having to play short some nights, I don't know how you can not call that a thin lineup.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
My thoughts on the draft - I have always said I don't follow the MM group so really can't judge if we did well or not. I also say give it a year and lets see what the Spits really got - so - here is my thoughts on last years draft -

Johnston - thought maybe it was a reach to pick him but have been pleasantly surprised with this pick. If he keeps trending up he will be a star in this league - good pick
Zito - can't wait to see him get a bigger role - what energy. Hoping he will start filling the net. Getting him with good line mates will be the key. Good pick.
Jodoin - only saw him with limited minutes so hard to judge or figure out where he will be by fall - hopefully he can help with some minutes on this depleted D core. No verdict on him yet.

The rest - no idea as none of them played any minutes other than preseason and I never use that as a barometer on their skill levels. Hopefully some of them may have developed into a player that would have a role with the Spits. Time will tell.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The last couple seasons having players like Rupoli, Garagan and having no one to call up when injuries occur, having to play short some nights, I don't know how you can not call that a thin lineup.

This year unlike last year they had 24 players to call on and were rarely short.
3G,8D,13F,for me that's enough, last year caught short,this past season not so.
Next year I would have 24 or 25 to be available ,that's not thin,most teams except maybe London have around that number,probably explains why teams have to submit 25 man player rosters prior to playoffs.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
I guess you see players I see 24 bodies. Towards the end staff played short a few times rather than call anyone up. No one available as a forward to call on if 2 players out do to injury/ sick

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Thanks for telling everyone what their concerns should be. I feel much better knowing i have you to let me know these things. Phew. My sunday just got a lot better.
Glad to help where I can!! Common sense kinda guy so it’s good to hear your on the same page!!

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
As others have stated there are just so many unknown variables factoring into next years roster that its going to be difficult to project what this team will actually look like. Who wants out, who wants to sign here, who knows? The one variable we can rely on is Bill Bowlers crippling fear of making any sort of move, so just draw up a depth chart of guys in the organization and start crossing off names as the trade requests, pro contracts, and better development opportunities start rolling in. It sounds like that exodus is already happening. Whatever is left over is going to be our roster, which Bill Bowler will then sprinkle with a few crappy players cut in camp from other teams. This guy has no clue what he's doing, I feel the exact same way about the club now that I did when Riolo owned it, except my misery won't be soothed by a spirited fight once in a while. Its nice the team is still in Windsor, and that's about the best you can say about things.

Reactions: windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Why do you always come to the defense of the most negative poster on this board.
Must admit people who mostly read this forum but rarely post ask me that all the time,why does that London poster stir up trouble.
I dont have an answer for that or the one that you asked me.
I will go with what OHLTG wrote,mainly because I could care less,people dont remember who comes in 2nd only who wins.
As for London in 2014,I did say they didnt have enough to win and they didnt do enough to give them the chance when they hosted,and I was proven right,correct me if I am wrong, they lost 4 straight in the tourney and were outscored 14-4 in the process.
Windsor won 4 straight and proved they belonged.

I don't always come to any1s defense. That is what you for Spits management, staff n players.
Your post would be soooo easy to break down n take apart but Ill leave most of it alone as my goal isn't to......
Your posts regarding "back door" hosts. Go back n read them and ask yourself if you are at all contradictory in your public thought process lol. ( before the tournies started not after )
Funny the man of selective stats doesn't know or better yet wont post publicly the Spits are among the worst if not the worst for lack of playoff series wins streak. Ive asked a couple times but you cant bring yourself to type it even thou you know it is clearly one of the biggest issues with the franchise.
Keep looking in the rearview. Im sure those who don't post and don't understand my posts but talk to you about me appreciate it.

You get called out cause you are not subjective, flip flop in philosophy, selectively use stat n figures, move goalposts....ect.

In all seriousness. Be smart, Stay safe, Stay healthy and take care HL

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I understand what you're saying. I just don't get the idea a championship team is built off of all these "if's." The Spits aren't in a position right now to survive any of those "if's" to go the other way. Heck you can make the case if those things did go right and they kept the coach I don't believe anyone thinks this would be a contender.

Reactions: OHL 17

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

nm

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
As others have stated there are just so many unknown variables factoring into next years roster that its going to be difficult to project what this team will actually look like. Who wants out, who wants to sign here, who knows? The one variable we can rely on is Bill Bowlers crippling fear of making any sort of move, so just draw up a depth chart of guys in the organization and start crossing off names as the trade requests, pro contracts, and better development opportunities start rolling in. It sounds like that exodus is already happening. Whatever is left over is going to be our roster, which Bill Bowler will then sprinkle with a few crappy players cut in camp from other teams. This guy has no clue what he's doing, I feel the exact same way about the club now that I did when Riolo owned it, except my misery won't be soothed by a spirited fight once in a while. Its nice the team is still in Windsor, and that's about the best you can say about things.

Bowler is just a puppet

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Question is will both imports help this team? Will they just be average players? Do 1 or both flop?

It's impossible to tell right now. Rafkin was an impact player as was Piiroinen, at times. You'd hope they find two players that make a significant, multi-season contribution but this draft is a crapshoot, esp with Covid19.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It's impossible to tell right now. Rafkin was an impact player as was Piiroinen, at times. You'd hope they find two players that make a significant, multi-season contribution but this draft is a crapshoot, esp with Covid19.

Something to fall back on....

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Agreed. Difference this year then past year is they asking 2 guys in same draft for impact. At least with Kari and Ruben it was over 2 drafts to get them. When was the last time we had 2 impact imports at the same time? Koko and Kuhnhackl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad