Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'll be curious to how the CHL Import Draft is handled. Will teams focus on players who are already in North America, like we did with Rafkin last year?

Possibly except they probably are all back home in their respective countries.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Spits of their 14 selections took 1G,4D,9F
I might have taken 1 or 2 more D in that group,as Windsor took 8 F in their last 9 picks just 1 D.
Cant be a free agent till he turns 17.
Could wind up in next year's U17 draft unless he plays B or C hockey,then he cant go into that draft.

Didnt know that, thanks. Seems odd 16 yr old FA cant try out but is what it is.

member 71782

The draft is over. A couple of decent picks, really like the goaltender, a couple of questionable picks, still think they blew the first round with Fantilli on the board and they wouldn't take the gamble. Some that look intriguing but most complete unknowns at this time.

Have to find out more and eventually see how these kids look once that chance comes around.

Surprised as well they only took four D but until this offseason starts to take shape and we what, if any rumours have any validity and who is still in the system from past drafts/who is willing to report have to go with they need help everywhere and there needs to be some major changes going forward.

Right now this organization looks like it's got no direction and until that changes it will be limited in what it will be able to do.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I’m fine with the draft. People will think the team reached here or passed on someone they shouldn’t have but the thing is you never know what will happen. The guy you might think team was stupid to pass on could end up being a bust and a guy you feel was a reach could turn out to be very good. After the first 2 rounds i don’t think it really matters who you draft or where (just do t go for a very big reach) unless it a kid rated very low and you take him in the 5th. Or pass on kid you want and then trade 2 2nds to get him.

I'm ok with it. Don't like the idea of passing on Fantilli though. Bowler might have thought Abraham was their best bpa but nobody out there actually believes Abraham is better. Fantilli would have been a great chip to have moving forward.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The draft is over. A couple of decent picks, really like the goaltender, a couple of questionable picks, still think they blew the first round with Fantilli on the board and they wouldn't take the gamble. Some that look intriguing but most complete unknowns at this time.

Have to find out more and eventually see how these kids look once that chance comes around.

Surprised as well they only took four D but until this offseason starts to take shape and we what, if any rumours have any validity and who is still in the system from past drafts/who is willing to report have to go with they need help everywhere and there needs to be some major changes going forward.

Right now this organization looks like it's got no direction and until that changes it will be limited in what it will be able to do.

True.
Needs direction.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
As every year, we can only realistically sign up to 4 the first year. That's why flyer picks are a no real loss in later rounds. Bonus when you get one to commit at some point. 2 questions remain, is TL gone an April fools gag or not. Has or has not Ladd had his required surgery. Replacing possibly Ladd to start the season and Rafkin won't be from this draft. Too young. We will have to trade picks now or take 2 import D this season to make up the loss of quality D. Overage spots seem to be filled with realistically returning forwards. A challenge for Bowler to fill the gaps or else we here the infamous rebuild start which I'm sick of hearing.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
As every year, we can only realistically sign up to 4 the first year. That's why flyer picks are a no real loss in later rounds. Bonus when you get one to commit at some point. 2 questions remain, is TL gone an April fools gag or not. Has or has not Ladd had his required surgery. Replacing possibly Ladd to start the season and Rafkin won't be from this draft. Too young. We will have to trade picks now or take 2 import D this season to make up the loss of quality D. Overage spots seem to be filled with realistically returning forwards. A challenge for Bowler to fill the gaps or else we here the infamous rebuild start which I'm sick of hearing.

Already in another rebuild.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think it's a rebuild just yet. There's plenty of returning talent.

Ideally, I'd like to see Abraham, De Santis, one of Miller/McDowell, and then Catalano (US). Get the scoring, a couple of d-men, and that power forward.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think it's a rebuild just yet. There's plenty of returning talent.

Ideally, I'd like to see Abraham, De Santis, one of Miller/McDowell, and then Catalano (US). Get the scoring, a couple of d-men, and that power forward.

Well that is just a difference of opinion of rebuild.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It's not a rebuild. Every team is going to add a few rookies, regardless of whether they're going for it or not. Players graduate, you have to replace them, right?

Well some teams do it a lot quicker than others.
Not stuck in the same model year after year as windsor has been.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's not a rebuild. Every team is going to add a few rookies, regardless of whether they're going for it or not. Players graduate, you have to replace them, right?

Depends on your perspective.

Delete-Purboo/Boka/Stevenson/Rafkin/Piiroinen most likely Rupoli/Playfair

Rumored
McDonald wants out
Cuylle wants out
Robinson needs to get his act together
Letowski is going be fired

Coming in:Abraham/DeAngelis, Jodoin???

Up in the air Douglas/Corcoran/Afanasyev

Even if just a couple of those rumors came true or even just one everything mentioned above screams rebuild. Not to mention if either Douglas/Corcoran go pro.

Yeah looks like a rebuild on the surface. Depends if they actually go full bore with it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: aresknights

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Rumored
McDonald wants out
Cuylle wants out

Up in the air:Douglas/Corcoran/Afanasyev

Even if just a couple of those rumors came true or even just one everything mentioned above screams rebuild. Not to mention if either Douglas/Corcoran go pro.

Yeah looks like a rebuild on the surface. Depends if they actually go full bore with it though.

Hopefully not half ass like last 8 years.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Rumored
McDonald wants out
Cuylle wants out

Up in the air:Douglas/Corcoran/Afanasyev

Having players rumoured to want out or "needs to get his act together", and actually replacing guys, are two very different things. Who's out and who's coming in? That's what determines a rebuild. Right now, we're not there.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Having players rumoured to want out or "needs to get his act together", and actually replacing guys, are two very different things. Who's out and who's coming in? That's what determines a rebuild. Right now, we're not there.

Same message different year.
:huh:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Here is my best case roster scenario and worst case roster scenario for upcoming season
1 - Best case
Angle,Afanaseyev, Johnston
Douglas, Damico, Zito
Foudy,Cuylle, McDonald
Abraham, Maggio, Felicetti

Corcoran, Kazmierczak
Ladd,Robinson
Henault, Euro

Medina, Tolvell

Extra - forwards- Lemmer,Euro
Catalano,Muzzatti
Pick 2

Defense- De Angelis,Jodoin
Shier,Albano
Pick-2
Goal- Downey
Worst case scenario

Delete, Afanaseyev, Douglas upfront
and Corcoran on defense
Replaced by, through trades with Dennis Busby D from Flint and Kurtis Henry D from Erie to play defence
Upfront Lemmer and a drafted Euro would be on the 4th line,Abraham and Maggio move up to top 3 lines
Team would look like

Angle,Johnston, McDonald
Abraham, Damico,Zito spares
Foudy,Cuylle, Maggio Catalano
Lemmer,Euro,Felicetti Mckay

Busby, Kazmierczak De Angelis
Henault, Henry Jodoin
Ladd, Robinson Euro

Medina,Tovell Downey

No question tough losses if Douglas,Corcoran, Afanaseyev dont return, along with Rafkin, Piironen not surprising, Playfair and Rupoli expendable , great team guys but expendable
Any team with those losses were they to occur would definitely change the direction of a team.
In my view if the best case scenario occurs no major losses except Rafkin they will contend,add the other 3 it's a different ballgame.
My prediction Afanaseyev is the only other one to go,though it would not shock if he returns.
Interesting summer for sure.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Here is my best case roster scenario and worst case roster scenario for upcoming season
1 - Best case
Angle,Afanaseyev, Johnston
Douglas, Damico, Zito
Foudy,Cuylle, McDonald
Abraham, Maggio, Felicetti

Corcoran, Kazmierczak
Ladd,Robinson
Henault, Euro

Medina, Tolvell

Extra - forwards- Lemmer,Euro
Catalano,Muzzatti
Pick 2

Defense- De Angelis,Jodoin
Shier,Albano
Pick-2
Goal- Downey
Worst case scenario

Delete, Afanaseyev, Douglas upfront
and Corcoran on defense
Replaced by, through trades with Dennis Busby D from Flint and Kurtis Henry D from Erie to play defence
Upfront Lemmer and a drafted Euro would be on the 4th line,Abraham and Maggio move up to top 3 lines
Team would look like

Angle,Johnston, McDonald
Abraham, Damico,Zito spares
Foudy,Cuylle, Maggio Catalano
Lemmer,Euro,Felicetti Mckay

Busby, Kazmierczak De Angelis
Henault, Henry Jodoin
Ladd, Robinson Euro

Medina,Tovell Downey

No question tough losses if Douglas,Corcoran, Afanaseyev dont return, along with Rafkin, Piironen not surprising, Playfair and Rupoli expendable , great team guys but expendable
Any team with those losses were they to occur would definitely change the direction of a team.
In my view if the best case scenario occurs no major losses except Rafkin they will contend,add the other 3 it's a different ballgame.
My prediction Afanaseyev is the only other one to go,though it would not shock if he returns.
Interesting summer for sure.

Id like to see cullye n foudy get 2nd line.
Just "another" summer for Windsor.
Same thing different year.

member 71782

They just finished year three of their rebuild, finished about where they were expected to but had a good first half that went smoot, little adversity and spent some time at the top of the conference. Then second half comes, a bit more adversity, team collapses and goes almost a month and a half without a win.

Now with junior hockey being "cyclical", three years building then go on a run then start the process all over again what would you call next year?

Over the last three years of rebuilding they've never had more than three of their 16 year old draftees in the line up full time, you seem to be expecting or hoping for four this year. Seems like an approach a rebuilding team would take.

The cupboards aren't bare but they certainly don't have enough to turn the returning roster into a contender.

Next year's roster doesn't look like it will be significantly better than this years so another fifth place finish?

There's a lot of rumours floating around that don't look good and while all and probably not most will come to be they almost all surround kids expected to be the core the next two years. Definitely not a positive sign.

No one knows what's going on with coaching and while many want to see changes not knowing isn't a good thing. Now that the draft is over, U18 coming up no changes would be made before then but in the next two weeks if there's changes coming that would be the time to do it before the import draft comes and in time for the offseason shutdown so if camps open on time everything would have been resolved so recruiting goes smoothly. A big question mark at this time since it directly affects some of the rumours.

So is next year a continuation of the current cycle which means hopefully year five we see a push?

Is it a go for it year with a line up that needs major questions answered, a large influx of talent and short on assets to acquire that talent?

The start of a new rebuild along the lines of what we were told by some between 2011/12 and 2016/17, it was two rebuilds not one?

Or is it simply long term mediocrity setting for an organization that hasn't been willing to make moves needed to build a contender?

This is not a team that will contend next year, this is not a team with the assets needed to contend at anytime in the next few years. This is a team, from an organizational standpoint that is going through the motions and needs to decide if they want a competitive on ice product that can be a contender or are simply going to do the bare minimum and let whatever happens happen.

They don't have the roster or assets to contend so that's a question that can be answered. That leaves continuing to rebuild, starting a new rebuild or settling for mediocrity.

None are great choices.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Cfaub

My feeling is that if everyone returns with the exception of Rafkin this coming season, they will contend
All 4 teams that finished above Windsor in the standings will suffer significant losses,and let's say Windsor doesn't get Douglas, Corcoran and Afanaseyev back,the other 4 teams hopefully will suffer the same fate, expected returnees that dont,great for the players not for the teams.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Cfaub

My feeling is that if everyone returns with the exception of Rafkin this coming season, they will contend
All 4 teams that finished above Windsor in the standings will suffer significant losses,and let's say Windsor doesn't get Douglas, Corcoran and Afanaseyev back,the other 4 teams hopefully will suffer the same fate, expected returnees that dont,great for the players not for the teams.

If they dont return it will just be a "factor".......

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If they dont return it will just be a "factor".......
If they dont return,so be it
I like what Windsor did in the draft today and look forward to more years when Windsor can finish in the top 3rd of the league as they did this past season, and keep adding to those national titles that no one can match in the last 10 years.
Yes I am going to bring up the past every time you bring up failures in the past, I would like to talk from this point on, but you dont stop,whether it's the coach,or 1st rounds,when you stop I will stop.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If they dont return,so be it
I like what Windsor did in the draft today and look forward to more years when Windsor can finish in the top 3rd of the league as they did this past season, and keep adding to those national titles that no one can match in the last 10 years.
Yes I am going to bring up the past every time you bring up failures in the past, I would like to talk from this point on, but you dont stop,whether it's the coach,or 1st rounds,when you stop I will stop.

Still looking at 10 years ago.
Slow clap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad