Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Agreed. Difference this year then past year is they asking 2 guys in same draft for impact. At least with Kari and Ruben it was over 2 drafts to get them. When was the last time we had 2 impact imports at the same time? Koko and Kuhnhackl

Kuhnhackl was 2009 and Koko was 2010. I'm curious as to how many teams have had two productive Imports from the same draft that have... a) lasted a full season... or b) lasted multiple seasons. My gut says very few. It's the nature of this draft.

(I'm going to look now out of curiosity)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Kuhnhackl was 2009 and Koko was 2010. I'm curious as to how many teams have had two productive Imports from the same draft that have... a) lasted a full season... or b) lasted multiple seasons. My gut says very few. It's the nature of this draft.

(I'm going to look now out of curiosity)

For Windsor i guess very few.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
2010 - we had both Kuhnhackl and Koko (2009 and 2010 drafts, resp) and they each put up a point-per-game pace.

2008 - we had Loktionov and Panik in the same draft. Lok played in 2009 and Panik in 2010. Both were legit, though not here long.

Two in same draft that played in same season - non-existent - for us.

2018 - London picked Kolyanochuk (sp?) and Guskov. While they traded Koly to Flint, both players were involved in the OHL for at least a season.

2017 - Kitchener got Lisk and Hugg; both played one season (at least).

2016 - Kingston drafted both Eemili Rasanen and Linus Nyman and both played two seasons. Best example I know of so far (they were good).

I've gone back to 2014 and those are the definite ones; might be more throughout the CHL. Not many I'd imagine.

For Windsor i guess very few.

It's few overall. I've found three TOTAL from the OHL over the last six drafts... and even one of those didn't stay on his team (2018 London). If you want to poke at Windsor, do your thing, but this isn't a Windsor issue... it's the way the Import Draft works. Add in this Covid19 stuff and I'd be happy if we got one player to report and he was productive.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
2010 - we had both Kuhnhackl and Koko (2009 and 2010 drafts, resp) and they each put up a point-per-game pace.

2008 - we had Loktionov and Panik in the same draft. Lok played in 2009 and Panik in 2010. Both were legit, though not here long.

2018 - London picked Kolyanochuk (sp?) and Guskov. While they traded Koly to Flint, both players were involved in the OHL for at least a season.

2016 - Kingston drafted both Eemili Rasanen and Linus Nyman and both played two seasons. Best example I know of so far (they were good).

I've gone back to 2014 and those are the definite ones; might be more throughout the CHL. Not many I'd imagine.

It's few overall. I've found three TOTAL from the OHL over the last six drafts... and even one of those didn't stay on his team (2018 London). If you want to poke at Windsor, do your thing, but this isn't a Windsor issue... it's the way the Import Draft works. Add in this Covid19 stuff and I'd be happy if we got one player to report and he was productive.
Point i was trying to make is it has been a while since this team has has 2 impact import players at the same time. Hopefully we can turn that around but we can’t just say we will have 2 imports to fill 2 spots next year since the odds of that aren’t very high.

Reactions: aresknights

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Bowler better do some work than.
Or it be another oh hum.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Bowler better do some work than.
Or it be another oh hum.

Normally I'd say "yeah, he needs to hit on both", but Covid's throwing everything off. Players who normally would have considered coming over are going to stay back, either forced or by-choice. Whether we like it or not, this has the potential to be a seriously different summer, including this draft. This isn't a factor, excuse, sugarcoating, or any other terminology... it's our reality. The NHL Draft is postponed so everything is questionable right now.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

HockeyCartier73

May 30, 2019
Windsor
You guys can go round for ever. Stop it’s a waste of time!! Yes the team is losing a min 7 skaters. So let’s go with that as fact. We don’t know who will be here for an OA year so that’s unknown. Does Affy stay? Also an unknown. In fact most of the rest is unknown. Will anyone ask to be moved, will an old draftee decide to report, will they secure to useable euro players....???? All unknown so why beat it senseless. Yes ownership is cheap and untrustworthy. Yes BB is raw. Yes TL needs to go. That’s my biggest concerns right there and should be most everyone’s!! You can be stacked and not get results because the top of the team is broken. Hell this team showed some real promise til TL changed his system, AGAIN!! No sense focusing on the kids when they aren’t the real problem!!!

Letowski still had two years left on his contract. Bill Bowler is 100 percent trusted by the ownership group and has final say in everything with no interference. Yes owners still want accountability and need to know day to day what is going on with the franchise. We knew Spits were not going for it this season. Other teams were deemed stronger and made moves at the deadline to get even stronger. It was pretty well decided that lets see how this group performs together from coaches to players in the season just passed. I would be willing to bet they have learned tons about everyone this season. I believe it was the right move to keep this team intact with no trades this season. Yes it has been disappointing that things went a bit rocky after the trade deadline. A plan though was in place and they knew this team overperformed to some extent early in the season and that they would take some lumps. Now having said all that yes things have tobe different this season. This season there will be a lot more pressure. This team will have to pull a few deals. One may be for a goaltender. It is not out of the realm of possibility the Spits could target Cedric Andree from Ottawa if they feel next season is the one to go for it all. This will be a huge season for Trevor Letowski and staff. It could mean the difference of getting a new contract or not and I don't think Bowler will hesitate to pull the plug. We shall see how things pan out.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Letowski still had two years left on his contract. Bill Bowler is 100 percent trusted by the ownership group and has final say in everything with no interference. Yes owners still want accountability and need to know day to day what is going on with the franchise. We knew Spits were not going for it this season. Other teams were deemed stronger and made moves at the deadline to get even stronger. It was pretty well decided that lets see how this group performs together from coaches to players in the season just passed. I would be willing to bet they have learned tons about everyone this season. I believe it was the right move to keep this team intact with no trades this season. Yes it has been disappointing that things went a bit rocky after the trade deadline. A plan though was in place and they knew this team overperformed to some extent early in the season and that they would take some lumps. Now having said all that yes things have tobe different this season. This season there will be a lot more pressure. This team will have to pull a few deals. One may be for a goaltender. It is not out of the realm of possibility the Spits could target Cedric Andree from Ottawa if they feel next season is the one to go for it all. This will be a huge season for Trevor Letowski and staff. It could mean the difference of getting a new contract or not and I don't think Bowler will hesitate to pull the plug. We shall see how things pan out.

Solid post,though I believe Letowski and his entire staff all have 1 year left on their contract not 2 for Letowski especially.

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Things wont change unless the whole coaching staff changes.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
HL: Do you know anything about D.J. Smith's kid, Colton? Is he going to be any good? Thanks

Looks like the Knights got a good one, someone I wished the Spits had drafted,the youngster a spitting image of his dad,a little taller,can definitely play,started out as a D,moved up front,has great shot,will be a great teammate imo,understand his edges need work,that being said looks like he wants it,so I am sure he will work away any weaknesses.
Of all teams to get him other then Windsor man Nellie I am not amused ha ha.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Looks like the Knights got a good one, someone I wished the Spits had drafted,the youngster a spitting image of his dad,a little taller,can definitely play,started out as a D,moved up front,has great shot,will be a great teammate imo,understand his edges need work,that being said looks like he wants it,so I am sure he will work away any weaknesses.
Of all teams to get him other then Windsor man Nellie I am not amused ha ha.

So basically a good player to draft....and went to London.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I wouldn’t be sad if whole staff left except for goalie coach Perry Wilson. He is one guy i wouldn’t want to lose.

Perry seemed like good guy with great attitude.
I didn't mind Weber either.
Both ran a practice (skills development session) at the event
It was last spring so they were uncertain of the whole ownership thing.
Bowler I got a different vibe from at the event althou I did not talk to him. Just saw his talk to the kids n parents. Lackluster.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So basically a good player to draft....and went to London.
A good player yes,not 1st round material, not rated by anyone for that round,most though late 2nd or 3rd
London was picking early in 2nd 25th,plus they admitted the fact he played with their 1st rounder made it easier for them to make the decision to choose.
No missed opp in my view looking at where Windsor had picks to select.
If you noticed from a pre draft post I wanted Windsor to draft Sova at 14th,he went 8th,Smith at 36 in the 2nd he went 25th,and Donavan 39th and he went 6th by Hamilton, and wasn't rated a high 1st rounder.

Reactions: nelli27

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
A good player yes,not 1st round material, not rated by anyone for that round,most though late 2nd or 3rd
London was picking early in 2nd 25th,plus they admitted the fact he played with their 1st rounder made it easier for them to make the decision to choose.
No missed opp in my view looking at where Windsor had picks to select.
If you noticed from a pre draft post I wanted Windsor to draft Sova at 14th,he went 8th,Smith at 36 in the 2nd he went 25th,and Donavan 39th and he went 6th by Hamilton, and wasn't rated a high 1st rounder.

I guess will see in a year or two.
However im sure u will move the goal posts to your favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad