Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Going back to the last thread - regarding first pick...

IF there's a seriously good forward offensive option, you take it. However, it's not our weak spot right now. I'm not against a top-flight d-man, with another bigger/nastier d-man later on. Those are glaring needs and have been mentioned on here multiple times.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012

IF there's a seriously good forward offensive option, you take it. However, it's not our weak spot right now. I'm not against a top-flight d-man, with another bigger/nastier d-man later on. Those are glaring needs and have been mentioned on here multiple times.

If next year is a "go for it" year, there's a good chance the player might be traded at the deadline. I say go with BPA.

Reactions: OHLTG

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Starting next week teams can trade draft picks - wondering if Bowler will move 1 of his 2nd round picks or keep both? Once they become players they can't be traded so if both picks are kept/used he will have to find room for them on the team. Going to be hard to find ice time for them. I hope he moves 1 for a future pick that can go in the trade inventory.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019

Ok..... so... who do we look at? Although they are rated lower than 14th where the Spitfires pick, here are three possibilities... once again, I have not seen them play... only relying on highlight videos and other people's reviews

19. Bryce McConnell-Barker 6'1 161 London Jr Knights

23. Sam Alfano 6'3 181 Southern Tier Admirals

27 Hunter Haight 5'11 165 Elgin Middlesex Chiefs

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Starting next week teams can trade draft picks - wondering if Bowler will move 1 of his 2nd round picks or keep both? Once they become players they can't be traded so if both picks are kept/used he will have to find room for them on the team. Going to be hard to find ice time for them. I hope he moves 1 for a future pick that can go in the trade inventory.
I would hope that Bowler would try to trade one of the second round pics to try and fill holes in the draft board. Only so much ice for the 16 year olds

Reactions: OHLTG

member 71782

My question is what will be behind whichever decision he makes.

Does he move a 2nd for a 3rd this year and a future 2nd or would he move a 2nd for multiple future picks?

Moving a 2nd for multiple future picks tells me it's another year of we like this team and the roster is again pretty much set.

If he moves a 2nd for a 3rd this year plus a future 2nd or doesn't move any then changes are coming and he's looking to get an extra kid or two on the roster.

If he's looking to get younger he keeps both 4ths as well, if he wants future assets because he likes the roster he moves one of them as well.

member 71782

Anyone want to venture a guess about the coaching for next year?

Do they stay or do they go?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Im guessing coaching staff stays for this upcoming season.
Owners too cheap to make any change.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Ok..... so... who do we look at? Although they are rated lower than 14th where the Spitfires pick, here are three possibilities... once again, I have not seen them play... only relying on highlight videos and other people's reviews

19. Bryce McConnell-Barker 6'1 161 London Jr Knights

23. Sam Alfano 6'3 181 Southern Tier Admirals

27 Hunter Haight 5'11 165 Elgin Middlesex Chiefs

Given there are only four d-men listed in the top 20, I'd go...

1. Isaiah George D - two-way with physicality. Good size at 6'1 170.
2. Donovan McDCoy D - has size to throw weight around, just needs to do it more. Good offence.
3. Matthew Jovanovic D - good size, uses it, likes offence. Projected late 1st or into 2nd.
4. Bryce McConnell-Barker - LC - 6'1 160, likes to create offence. High ceiling. 1st or 2nd rd.
5. Sam Alfano RW - big, offensive, just needs more oomph on his shot.

The rankings I'm seeing are all over the place (not agreeing) and it's difficult with a lot of forwards in the top 20.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

That, of course, depends on whether the team is sold or not. The present owners have shown a tendency to have a tight fist as proven by the fact that GM Bowler is ‘a one man gang’ in the scouting department.
I can see him moving the late 2nd round pick for multiple picks that include a pair of 3rds, one of which is this year.
As for our pick at #14 I’d like the best player available. Although we can only trade picks now you have to think the GM knows who he’d like to trade and who wants out and that will determine the direction he goes on the 2nd round pick.

member 71782

That, of course, depends on whether the team is sold or not. The present owners have shown a tendency to have a tight fist as proven by the fact that GM Bowler is ‘a one man gang’ in the scouting department.
I can see him moving the late 2nd round pick for multiple picks that include a pair of 3rds, one of which is this year.
As for our pick at #14 I’d like the best player available. Although we can only trade picks now you have to think the GM knows who he’d like to trade and who wants out and that will determine the direction he goes on the 2nd round pick.

If a 2nd gets dealt he has to get a 3rd this year and a future 2nd or a future 2nd, 3rd +. I think there's multiple teams that need a 2nd this year so he should be able to get solid value for it. If it were two 3rds it would have to be one each this year and next with a 4th added on as well.

Tight fisted owners are the biggest problem right now unfortunately so hopefully any rumour/speculation comes to be and we can get a group that wants to own a team and not a tax deduction.

While I think most would agree D is our biggest need BPA in the first round is the way to go. If for some reason Bowler believes next year they have a shot then no first year D will help this year and they'll be right back to rebuilding the following year anyway needing to add everywhere anyways.

We'll start to see how things might go next week.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Everything hinges on who owns this team to start the new season!! I’m hearing there are multiple players disappointed in their progression and the coaching group. Will that lead to trade requests?? There’s a lot more in play right now than just the draft! Draft info is literally all over the map, there’s no scouting core here to have much direct player info, you have a very raw GM and cheap ownership.... if this stays status quo I’m seriously concerned for the teams viability!! Young players have much more control today and their #1 concern is draftability! A team that isn’t getting it done isn’t going to keep higher end players or lure those flyers we all hope for. The fan dollar is going to be an even harder sell with this mess we’re all in, your going to lose some fans just because life as we know it is going to change. Some folks won’t be willing to attend just out of concern. This isn’t a situation we’re there’s a waiting list for tickets, the CHL model was already in serious trouble. Don’t wanna fear monger, I hate it with passion! But teams will need solid ownership, that can/will spend the money needed to get fans in arenas and I have NO faith that our current owners have the drive or ability to do that!! I’ve had no contact with anyone sharing info lately, it’s disturbing. I hope the group I was told about isn’t having second thoughts now due to this disaster!!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't know much about the owners but I can say that I'm disappointed with how their involvement went this season. They seemed gung-ho about getting their hands dirty and helping the fans, yet I haven't heard much more than a few peeps since the whole transaction took place. At least Rychel et. al were vocal throughout their season. Kind of a "be careful what you wish for" type.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Spitfires involved in the OHL Coaches Poll:

Most Underrated - West - Corcoran #2
Most Improved - West - Angle #2
Hardest Worker - West - Boka #2
Best Skater - West - Foudy #3
Hardest Shot - West - Corcoran #3
Best Shot Blocker - West - Boka #1 (third-straight season)
Best Defensive Defenceman - West - Corcoran #3

Not a bad haul.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spitfires involved in the OHL Coaches Poll:

Most Underrated - West - Corcoran #2
Most Improved - West - Angle #2
Hardest Worker - West - Boka #2
Best Skater - West - Foudy #3
Hardest Shot - West - Corcoran #3
Best Shot Blocker - West - Boka #1 (third-straight season)
Best Defensive Defenceman - West - Corcoran #3

Not a bad haul.

:sarcasm:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't know much about the owners but I can say that I'm disappointed with how their involvement went this season. They seemed gung-ho about getting their hands dirty and helping the fans, yet I haven't heard much more than a few peeps since the whole transaction took place. At least Rychel et. al were vocal throughout their season. Kind of a "be careful what you wish for" type.

Well that was obviously just lip service. They didn't get to be successful without being able to have the gift of talking to the media. I am sure they want to have a successful hockey organization. The problem is they don't have a good enough plan or the people there to execute. Yes you can be a good business man and be a successful owner of a sports organization. Being cheap and not investing in the organization isn't the recipe for success. I would love for this team to be sold because as of right now this is an untenable situation for all involved.

Reactions: Teflon

member 71782

I'd want to know who they're selling to before saying "yeah, please sell." We've done that before... it was ugly.

Care to elaborate?

While the last group certainly wasn't ideal this last season showed this group didn't turn out to be better than what the last group was expected to be.

Careful what we wish for is certainly worth heeding but everyone thought this was going to be better and while we don't know how the other would have turned out what we got certainly wasn't good at all.

Reactions: windsor7

member 71782

Everything hinges on who owns this team to start the new season!! I’m hearing there are multiple players disappointed in their progression and the coaching group. Will that lead to trade requests?? There’s a lot more in play right now than just the draft! Draft info is literally all over the map, there’s no scouting core here to have much direct player info, you have a very raw GM and cheap ownership.... if this stays status quo I’m seriously concerned for the teams viability!! Young players have much more control today and their #1 concern is draftability! A team that isn’t getting it done isn’t going to keep higher end players or lure those flyers we all hope for. The fan dollar is going to be an even harder sell with this mess we’re all in, your going to lose some fans just because life as we know it is going to change. Some folks won’t be willing to attend just out of concern. This isn’t a situation we’re there’s a waiting list for tickets, the CHL model was already in serious trouble. Don’t wanna fear monger, I hate it with passion! But teams will need solid ownership, that can/will spend the money needed to get fans in arenas and I have NO faith that our current owners have the drive or ability to do that!! I’ve had no contact with anyone sharing info lately, it’s disturbing. I hope the group I was told about isn’t having second thoughts now due to this disaster!!

Obviously a lot of unexpected things in play that can change a lot and beyond everyone's control. Hoping when everything settles things take a turn for the better.

As far as potential trade requests, if things don't change, just speculating but would not be surprised if at least two 02s plus Afanasyev being unhappy and looking for better options. If that happened it'll set this team back on and off the ice. Not a good position to be in when it's time to get things up and running again.

Reactions: Teflon and windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
While the last group certainly wasn't ideal this last season showed this group didn't turn out to be better than what the last group was expected to be.

Careful what we wish for is certainly worth heeding but everyone thought this was going to be better and while we don't know how the other would have turned out what we got certainly wasn't good at all.

Do we conveniently forget this isn't the first year the Savage brothers have been around this organization? When comes the time that the light shines on them and the buck stops with them??? They hired a puppet as a GM and won't move Letowski because he has term. Yes we can heed the advice of careful what we wish for. Nobody wished for the Savage brothers to take over majority ownership. Well at least nobody that was watching closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad