Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Would have been nice to have Smith but 14 was too high and high-30s too late.
Interestingly in Brock Otten's player ratings neither Smith or Donavan were rated in top 50,as you know Donavan went 6th,Smith 25th
He also had Sova at 39th to Windsor and he went 8th.
Player projections for many were quite varied and alot went higher or lower then was anticipated.

member 71782

Letowski is signed for four years, the upcoming season being year four. I posted a link in one of the last couple of season threads. Unfortunately searching my old posts it won't show them all, only 60+ and searching on my phone on The Star's website it just shows every article since 2010 in order. I have confirmed it with a link in the past.

Unless there was an extension that was never announced this is the last year unless something changes.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Interestingly in Brock Otten's player ratings neither Smith or Donavan were rated in top 50,as you know Donavan went 6th,Smith 25th
He also had Sova at 39th to Windsor and he went 8th.
Player projections for many were quite varied and alot went higher or lower then was anticipated.

That's one thing I said before (and during) the draft. The lists were all over the place and there was no consensus. Me having Sova at 14 was higher than some but lower than reality. George was listed high but fell like a rock. It was a darn near perfect illustration of current life - "go ahead and guess but you'll be wrong..."

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Yesterday teams drafted 34 players whose birthdays go from Sept 15 to Dec 25,in other words underage for NHL draft purposes,those players have to wait 3 years before being able to be drafted.
Windsor did draft one such player
in the 4th round when they selected Center Coulson Pitre,whose birthday is Dec 13,making him the 4th youngest player drafted,2 were born December 14,and one player picked was born December 25th.

Reactions: punch1943

ohlws

Feb 4, 2011
Perry seemed like good guy with great attitude.
I didn't mind Weber either.
Both ran a practice (skills development session) at the event
It was last spring so they were uncertain of the whole ownership thing.
Bowler I got a different vibe from at the event althou I did not talk to him. Just saw his talk to the kids n parents. Lackluster.

My sister has experience dealing with Bowler when he goes to donate blood at the Canadian Blood Services. She gets a weird vibe from him too, it's just pretty much how his demeanor is.

Reactions: aresknights

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So now we’re 2 years out to go for it? The players your losing after this year should have put this year as the go year. I’m so disappointed the sale I was hearing about seems to have gone sideways!!! I don’t like the size of many of our drafted players, lotsa questions about our #1 being as good as what they passed on. I call BS on BB having full autonomy with the team. And I know you can’t run a team on a shoestring!!

Reactions: aresknights

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
I believe most AHL clubs will not have many spots opened up due to Covid. While CHL players graduate by year/age, AHL players graduate with experience/ talent which you are not gaining when you are not playing. Throw in the Seattle expansion draft following next season and NHL clubs will be careful with adding roster players who would then become exposed in that draft.
I think move on from TL and most of the dissension amongst unhappy players will disappear rather quickly. As I have stated many times. Flint as an example, changing a coach is far easier then changing a number of players on your team.
Dont forget, a lot of teams are signing college free agents to AHL deals which will take up spots. I would think that if a player has Junior eligibility left, the NHL team might be inclined to leave them there rather than promote them and start paying them.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Looks like the Knights got a good one, someone I wished the Spits had drafted,the youngster a spitting image of his dad,a little taller,can definitely play,started out as a D,moved up front,has great shot,will be a great teammate imo,understand his edges need work,that being said looks like he wants it,so I am sure he will work away any weaknesses.
Of all teams to get him other then Windsor man Nellie I am not amused ha ha.
Thx HL. Based on draft rankings I read, he went a little high. In an interview, he was asked "did you hate the Knights growing up?" His answer: "my dad did..." lol!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Normally I'd say "yeah, he needs to hit on both", but Covid's throwing everything off. Players who normally would have considered coming over are going to stay back, either forced or by-choice. Whether we like it or not, this has the potential to be a seriously different summer, including this draft. This isn't a factor, excuse, sugarcoating, or any other terminology... it's our reality. The NHL Draft is postponed so everything is questionable right now.

This isn't just a Windsor thing and I would ask the question. What constitutes "players that normally would have considered coming over are going to stay back?" Who's not coming over who we thought were?? Like you have said numerous times you love to mention the word patience.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This isn't just a Windsor thing and I would ask the question. What constitutes "players that normally would have considered coming over are going to stay back?" Who's not coming over who we thought were?? Like you have said numerous times you love to mention the word patience.

Yeah, I like using the word patience because jumping to conclusions without anything playing out seems rather... odd?

If this Covid19 thing lasts well into the summer, I can see players finding it easier to stay in Europe and play for teams near their city. They will still have NHL exposure but it cuts down on a lot of risks that could be associated with coming to North America.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
So now we’re 2 years out to go for it? The players your losing after this year should have put this year as the go year. I’m so disappointed the sale I was hearing about seems to have gone sideways!!! I don’t like the size of many of our drafted players, lotsa questions about our #1 being as good as what they passed on. I call BS on BB having full autonomy with the team. And I know you can’t run a team on a shoestring!!
Thx for answering my question a few pages back, on what year of the rebuild the Spits were in presently.

2 years to go.....

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Yesterday teams drafted 34 players whose birthdays go from Sept 15 to Dec 25,in other words underage for NHL draft purposes,those players have to wait 3 years before being able to be drafted.
Windsor did draft one such player
in the 4th round when they selected Center Coulson Pitre,whose birthday is Dec 13,making him the 4th youngest player drafted,2 were born December 14,and one player picked was born December 25th.

Is this different from recent years?
If so very interesting.

spitz fan 4ever

May 13, 2012
Hi Teflon, are you assuming about the potential sale gone sideways, or you know it has ??

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Seems never ending "rebuild".
Goes on n on n on......
It seems we have been beating that dead horse for awhile now. I don't count the 17 mem cup win as a non rebuild year bc the Spits were kicked in the 1st rd. And without hosting were toast, and yes I know about the "injuries" debate ad nauseum.

I would say from the 11/12 season on then.

Hoping Bowler made the most of the cupboard this draft since it has been so bare.And we did have some decent picks for the first time in awhile.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It seems we have been beating that dead horse for awhile now. I don't count the 17 mem cup win as a non rebuild year bc the Spits were kicked in the 1st rd. And without hosting were toast, and yes I know about the "injuries" debate ad nauseum.

I would say from the 11/12 season on then.

Hoping Bowler made the most of the cupboard this draft since it has been so bare.And we did have some decent picks for the first time in awhile.

Agree.

Reactions: Sec108

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Is this different from recent years?
If so very interesting.

Actually not much different then say the last 4 years
2017- 40 players drafted
2018- 36 players drafted
2019- 30 players drafted
2020- 34 players drafted
Out of 1203 players chosen the last 4 drafts 140 players were born on Sept 15 or later, per centage 11.6 %
Btw for kicks I looked at both Windsor and London only and both teams drafted 5 players.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Wolvesfan82

Apr 5, 2020
Toronto
Hi Guys, I'm new to the Windsor Spitfires chat board. In regards to Windsor's first 3 picks in this year's draft I feel they choose well. I didn't know much about Abraham going into the draft and was surprised he went in the first round, but hopefully with development he'll turn out to be a gem. With DeAngelis, your getting a solid D-man with good size, speed and has elite level pass/stick handling skills. I've seen him play the past 3 seasons with the Senators in the GTHL and he stood out and improved every season on the back end. Downey, in my opinion is the top goalie in this year's draft and I only saw him play live once at the GTHL top 40 prospects game this past December and he was flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad