Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It is a good pick but don’t understand why people think they would trade for a top tier goalie if they not draft a kid. Medina is starter. All you needed was a vet to push him and be backup. An Incze or cullen type of guy

Maybe they can still.
Have this kid develop for a year. Bring him up next year.

member 71782

That was kind of my point - we think it's a 'reach' right now, but let it play out. The scouts watch far more games than us.

There's always risks in the draft, some work out in your favour but many don't.

There's a few kids picked later that would have been better choices with Windsor still having a shot at Johnston later, if Hamilton didn't take him.

Yes he has worked out and I'm glad he's part of the team but that was a huge gamble that more often than not doesn't pay off.

Reactions: KyGuy9

member 71782

From Parker
There will be no drama this season for the Windsor #Spitfires @SpitsHockey as first-round pick Ryan Abraham says he is "100 per cent" committed to joining the club. Wasn't the case last year with Wyatt Johnston, who took two months to commit because the ownership was in question.

While it's great the kid is committed but questions remian.

How much of a reach was the pick, could he have been had later?

What was left on the table making such an off the board pick?

Was this the best use of a first round puck?

He's a Spitfire now, hope things work out as good as they can. It's not the kid it's how the pick was used and could it have been used better and still have managed to get this kid later putting the team in a better spot for the future.

Oct 3, 2019
from The Prospect Pipeline:
Tons of high-end talent available as we move into the fourth-round of the #2020OHLDraft:
• Isaiah George
• George Fegaras
• Chase Pitela
• Ethan Best
• Aaron Andrade
• Shawn Ramsay
• Devin Mauro
• Mikael Kingo

Zamboni driver list lol

member 71782

Maybe bowler will surprise n take flyer now. Lol

I think the next one will check all the boxes that the org will prioritize.

I'll say Owen Findlay if he's available.

Ranked 7th to 10th rounds.

Local kid.

Dad played for Windsor with Bowler, organizational ties.

Plays D.

Reactions: punch1943

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I was surprised by Rafkin leaving. He spent 4 years in North America, so the missing home should have been diminishing. IMO, he must have come to NA to pursue an NHL career. He the signs to play Pro in Finland three months before the draft. I would of thought he would have waited until after the draft and follow the advice of the NHL team that drafted him.

As far as Goaltending this year, I would plan on starting the season with Tovell backing up Medina and see how that goes. Let Downey play JR B and then move him into Medina's backup the following year. Two years from now, Downey will be 18 and Medina will be an OA.

There are 4 players that are questionable to return:

Angle - has another year to sign, 90% chance that he is back as an OA. Hopefully has a good year and is signed during next season.

Douglas - his rights expire in June. If he is not signed, he could be back as an OA, could sign elsewhere or go to University. I still think that the NHL has an interest in him strictly because of size. 60% chance to be in Windsor.

Corcoran - surprised that he has not been signed, expect him to be signed before his rights expire. 30% chance to be in Windsor.

Afansyev - Expect him to be in the AHL. 10% chance to be in Windsor.

Two other possible OAs - Playfair and Rupoli. Both are depth players. OA depth players are not the way to go. We did that this year with Stevenson. I find it humorous that posters say to trade Playfair. I am not sure who would want him as an OA. Good teams would have better OAs and on a weaker team he would take ice time away from younger players as he did with Windsor this year.

Hopefully McDonald can be made happy because I believe that he has top 6 forward potential on this team next season He was kind of an engima last year. He tore it up early on the 4th line, but didn't really produce when he was moved up. Didn't really fit with Foudy and Cuylee. On paper, put those three together and they should be outstanding for the next 2 years. On the ice, something doesn't fit.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I was surprised by Rafkin leaving. He spent 4 years in North America, so the missing home should have been diminishing. IMO, he must have come to NA to pursue an NHL career. He the signs to play Pro in Finland three months before the draft. I would of thought he would have waited until after the draft and follow the advice of the NHL team that drafted him.

As far as Goaltending this year, I would plan on starting the season with Tovell backing up Medina and see how that goes. Let Downey play JR B and then move him into Medina's backup the following year. Two years from now, Downey will be 18 and Medina will be an OA.

There are 4 players that are questionable to return:

Angle - has another year to sign, 90% chance that he is back as an OA. Hopefully has a good year and is signed during next season.

Douglas - his rights expire in June. If he is not signed, he could be back as an OA, could sign elsewhere or go to University. I still think that the NHL has an interest in him strictly because of size. 60% chance to be in Windsor.

Corcoran - surprised that he has not been signed, expect him to be signed before his rights expire. 30% chance to be in Windsor.

Afansyev - Expect him to be in the AHL. 10% chance to be in Windsor.

Two other possible OAs - Playfair and Rupoli. Both are depth players. OA depth players are not the way to go. We did that this year with Stevenson. I find it humorous that posters say to trade Playfair. I am not sure who would want him as an OA. Good teams would have better OAs and on a weaker team he would take ice time away from younger players as he did with Windsor this year.

Hopefully McDonald can be made happy because I believe that he has top 6 forward potential on this team next season He was kind of an engima last year. He tore it up early on the 4th line, but didn't really produce when he was moved up. Didn't really fit with Foudy and Cuylee. On paper, put those three together and they should be outstanding for the next 2 years. On the ice, something doesn't fit.

Well afanasyev already ssid thank u to Windsor in a message online. So if he leaves it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad