Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
In regards to McDonald I can see why he would want out. It was his draft year when he played he was productive but Boka/Purboo were always prioritized ahead of him. McDonald would often find himself with Playfair.

That is bad coaching is all.

Oct 3, 2019
In regards to McDonald I can see why he would want out. It was his draft year when he played he was productive but Boka/Purboo were always prioritized ahead of him. McDonald would often find himself with Playfair.

Coaches need to play the kids On merit and not by age.

Reactions: member 71782

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Coaches need to play the kids On merit and not by age.

There's a fine line in regards to that. Purboo has always been extremely streaky. When he's in one of his slumps he's what you think of for a 4th liner and he was still getting lots of ice.

I would say you play kids on merit but if you're not a contender which Windsor wasn't that's where you start playing the kids a lot. They were a 5 seed if they had played the kids a fair bit more and finished 6th would anyone have cared?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Tyler Catalano in the 8th is out of StL Blues AAA. We've had a guy from there before...

Good size at 6'4 202. Produced at every level so far.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Really surprised Findlay isn’t here yet. I’d like to know what happened with George?? Missed the boat leaving McCoy on the board!! Some real head scratchers here.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lol he was a 1st rnd lock and decision making crops up??? I’m betting he decided to play hardball as to where he would play. London is stealing some solid talent from under people’s noses!!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Lol he was a 1st rnd lock and decision making crops up??? I’m betting he decided to play hardball as to where he would play. London is stealing some solid talent from under people’s noses!!

There's plenty of info on Twitter if you want to read more. I just go by that.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011

Is that suprising? been going on for awhile now.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
So whats everyones opinion on Bowlers first draft ??? He didn't have bad picks to work with.

And yes 7 I think your close on the 8 yrs it began when Ellis was Capt.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

He got passed over alot and by every team.
Im betting he didn't say only London or NCAA.

Tough spot. Teams want to know if a kid will report or go college so they don't waste a pick if the kid is genuinely going the US route.
Players have more options now therefore more leverage.
End of the day teams gotta take the chance or let players slide.
Saginaw has been aggressive and it has paid off. Others as well.
The system is what it is. Staffs need to find a way to use it to best fit their situations.

London has also missed out on recruiting players they drafted as flyers more than amy other team but that is never discussed ;) They stock pile picks, have depth in players so they can take chances.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I think the Abraham pick was in part to the fact he's 100% committed to Windsor and they didn't want the Wyatt Johnston situation again. Plus he's a local-ish kid being from the Detroit area. His Stats make him out to be pretty small at 5'7/147 but time will tell. He's also a later first round pick so I'm not really mad about it.

I like the goalie pick. Won't make a huge difference this year. But 3-4 Years down the road, hopefully it'll pay off. Having the top goalie in the draft this year is a bit of a relief with all the goalie debate that's gone on since Mikey left. Interested to see Catalano down the line. His size at his age makes me think he potentially has at least an OHL Career in front of him if his skills are up to par despite being an 8th round pick.

Don't hate it. Think an emphasis maybe should've been on D. With Ladd, Henault, Robinson, and Rupoli as our returning D I worry a bit. Stevenson while not a stand out player I thought was pretty solid and did his job back there. Rafkin will be missed for sure, he had a pretty good rookie year, and I expect at least a second year out of him. If Corcoran returns were in good shape but I'm not hopeful on that.
Jodoin seems like the only other guy IMO that has a great shot of being on the team next year.

These drafts are always a little weird to me just with how many question marks there are surrounding everybody. Whether it be choosing to go to school, playing in the us, playing for a school, size and body development not even touching on their skills development.

2016-
Playfair was taken in the 4th round, almost 40 picks before Tyler Angle. I don't think there's much debate over which one anyone here would prefer.

2017-
17th overall - Staios
96th overall - Henault
In 2020, I'd take Henault.
DAmico was taken 109th in the 6th Round. Last year 47pts / 67g this year 50 pts/61g. Great numbers for a 6th round pick.

2018-
Medina was taken as the 5th goalie, 59th overall. I like Medina and he's great, but I would've been content with Brock Brochu being taken in the 6th round over Christian Stevens (who?) and taking a Center in the 3rd round instead.

2019-
I think even now it's a little too soon to speak on it but I will anyways. I like Johnston. Despite people thinking he was a reach he put up 30 points in 53 games as a rookie. I like Zito as well. Don't think he'll ever be our points leader but he brings energy and contributes when he gets a chance however he can. Haven't seen Jodoin (4th round) yet but I've heard decent things and I feel like we can rule out Parikh (5th round) from the Spitfires future.

I'm just saying there's a lot of question marks amongst these drafts and on draft day it's too soon to rule out any picks as a "bust" unless they've said they will not come here and we are ineligible for compensation. Last year McDonnell with Kitchener finished 3rd in rookie scoring and was a 3rd round draft pick (18) and Stillman with Sudbury finished 9th after being the 25th pick in 2019. Tanner Dickenson (02) finished 5th after being signed by the Soo as a FA.

What's worse than the 2020 draft has been losing Rafkin and Piironin for zero assets. Provided we now have 2 free import spots, it would've been nice to get anything at all. The goalie tandem makes sense, and I don't think we were in a position to use Tovell to back up Medina as a rookie. But if we knew Kari wouldn't be returning, he may have been shipped off for the rest of the season to get a 19yo goalie that could've backed up Medina for 20/21.

In retrospect, without our season being completed, Egor would've been nice to ship off for anything as I don't see anyway he's back here next year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Would I have liked a D-man with the first pick? Yes. However, we got one in the second round, plus a goaltender, and then two more bigger Dmen in the middle rounds. I'm willing to be patient; nothing about this off-season has been, or will be, normal.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I’m fine with the draft. People will think the team reached here or passed on someone they shouldn’t have but the thing is you never know what will happen. The guy you might think team was stupid to pass on could end up being a bust and a guy you feel was a reach could turn out to be very good. After the first 2 rounds i don’t think it really matters who you draft or where (just do t go for a very big reach) unless it a kid rated very low and you take him in the 5th. Or pass on kid you want and then trade 2 2nds to get him.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits of their 14 selections took 1G,4D,9F
I might have taken 1 or 2 more D in that group,as Windsor took 8 F in their last 9 picks just 1 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad