Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Is there a chance the Afanasyev is just a loan and he'd be back in Windsor if there's a season? Or has it been confirmed that he's gone gone?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
My comment wasn't intended to get another glorious "this team doesn't have enough talent" debate going. I know we're starved for stuff to talk about, but...

The comment was regarding the DiPietro trade. IF Afanasyev is gone, he's a piece that's concluded, so to speak. Thus, I started looking at the other pieces. One of the picks - Zito - looks like he's going to be a good one. Last season was a decent start, points-wise, good energy, can play a variety of roles, and doesn't mind getting chippy. I don't remember talking to a single person who had something bad to say about him. Once hockey starts back up, I'm eager to see how he develops going forward.

The rest of the picks were down the road...

Is there a chance the Afanasyev is just a loan and he'd be back in Windsor if there's a season? Or has it been confirmed that he's gone gone?

He's on loan from Nashville to Russia. My guess was that he's gone simply to get ice time, plus good competition. If the OHL returns, I'd imagine he has a shot to return.

Reactions: Teflon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I would be surprised if anyone could draw a conclusion off of a 3g 10a season and saying he will be a real good one. I would say like with most players at that age the jury is out. Throw in most likely a lost season of development like with all 16 year olds going into this year. When he hopefully returns for a full year the roster will be totally different.

Delete
Douglas
Angle
Egor
Playfair
Rupoli
Corcoran
Rafkin

Zito isn't a star type guy who can carry the play, he needs a lot of talent around him. The question becomes where does that talent come from??

Bowler would have to "actually " do a "lot" of something.....

Oct 3, 2019
I would be surprised if anyone could draw a conclusion off of a 3g 10a season and saying he will be a real good one. I would say like with most players at that age the jury is out. Throw in most likely a lost season of development like with all 16 year olds going into this year. When he hopefully returns for a full year the roster will be totally different.

Delete
Douglas
Angle
Egor
Playfair
Rupoli
Corcoran
Rafkin

Zito isn't a star type guy who can carry the play, he needs a lot of talent around him. The question becomes where does that talent come from??

I think he’s very underrated. He will be a kid that will carry a team!! Problem is the coaching. Will he destroy this kid like he did with the 02’s?

Reactions: stips

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020

Delete
Douglas
Angle
Egor
Playfair
Rupoli
Corcoran
Rafkin

Windsor may have all those guys back except for Rafkin and Playfair. Egor may only be loaned out until OHL starts. Windsor will need 3 OAs and without Angle and Douglas signing, they should be back. One of Corcoran or Rupoli should be back as OA this year.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I think he’s very underrated. He will be a kid that will carry a team!! Problem is the coaching. Will he destroy this kid like he did with the 02’s?
Zito has skill and can skate but carry a team, not a chance. Will be a good 2nd or 3rd line role player.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Windsor may have all those guys back except for Rafkin and Playfair. Egor may only be loaned out until OHL starts. Windsor will need 3 OAs and without Angle and Douglas signing, they should be back. One of Corcoran or Rupoli should be back as OA this year.

I was speaking more to the point that there's a good chance that there isn't much of an OHL season. If you have one it might end up being a portion of games which isn't going to move the needle for these guys. Those guys I mentioned that would be gone Zito would be expected to be a top line or top 6 guy for 21-22. I can get the appreciation for Zito but once again this organization needs in an injection of top tier talent immediately. I find it interesting that we can find holes in the games of Foudy and Cuylle but when it comes to guys like Zito/Boka.DiGiacinto those guys are talked in glowing terms. When did Windsor start hating top tier talent?

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Razor is correct, if there is much of a season. Without physical contact at all, it will be like watching beer rec league hockey at a faster pace. Pyette article yesterday spells it out fairly clear. I'm not even concerned of who's on the team when we do not have a return to play plan and McLeod made it clear this week for any possibility of a return to play. NO CONTACT. I can watch pick up hockey for free. I struggle to watch the Women's world's for just that reason. Nothing against woman playing hockey, they are talented and could skate circles around most. What's next NFL flag football. No thanks.

Reactions: tomschman

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Since the NHL is looking for development of young players, no contact hockey will not develop these players. Games will look like a skills competition. Better yet, just have the games be a best of 100 shoot out. It will not be hockey. The fans won't watch it and it won't benefit the players.

Reactions: Cherrydon and stips

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I’d say if it’s non contact and actually gets played any player with an out to play more traditional hockey will use that out and play elsewhere. Smartest thing to do imho. I don’t believe the league will be useful if this current crap they want is agreed upon. I like Zito think he’ll become a real asset. But I also agree this staff must go!!

Reactions: Cherrydon and OHLTG

spitz fan 4ever

May 13, 2012
Well I see they chopped down a fair size tree and filled in that retention pond in front of the WFCU, would imagine that fence around it will be next followed by 200 new parking spots, should put a parking garage in

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Since the NHL is looking for development of young players, no contact hockey will not develop these players. Games will look like a skills competition. Better yet, just have the games be a best of 100 shoot out. It will not be hockey. The fans won't watch it and it won't benefit the players.
"The fans won't watch it" is just flat out wrong.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Well I see they chopped down a fair size tree and filled in that retention pond in front of the WFCU, would imagine that fence around it will be next followed by 200 new parking spots, should put a parking garage in

Should of been in the plans when arena was built.
Instead they were so much in a rush they did things so shitty

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Are they really new spots when about 200 spots are being taken away. It more like they are just relocating them

Reactions: stips

Oct 3, 2019
I was speaking more to the point that there's a good chance that there isn't much of an OHL season. If you have one it might end up being a portion of games which isn't going to move the needle for these guys. Those guys I mentioned that would be gone Zito would be expected to be a top line or top 6 guy for 21-22. I can get the appreciation for Zito but once again this organization needs in an injection of top tier talent immediately. I find it interesting that we can find holes in the games of Foudy and Cuylle but when it comes to guys like Zito/Boka.DiGiacinto those guys are talked in glowing terms. When did Windsor start hating top tier talent?

So there’s no top tier talent in Windsor? and you’re comparing zito with Boka and DiGiancito?
Come on, what you’re saying is not fair and not accurate.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So there’s no top tier talent in Windsor? and you’re comparing zito with Boka and DiGiancito?
Come on, what you’re saying is not fair and not accurate.

Nowhere did I say they don't have top tier talent. My comment was in regards to how gritty guys seemingly are adored more by the fans while the top talented guys are picked apart and finding reasons why they are to blame. Lately there have been far too many grinding type guys and not enough of those top tier guys.

Reactions: Oldbarn Newhay

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
That makes one of us...

Agreed, I understand the sentiment but an extremely shortened season most likely (if you believe 64 games are being played from Dec to end of Apr maybe you believe the border will open in 48 hrs as well.) There's a reason why we had bubbles in the NHL and NBA they had billions riding on their television deals, same goes for MLB and all the big sports. Even those ratings were really down but they couldn't afford not to play. With the OHL there won't be fans and I am not sure fans will have the appetite to see 3-4 teams consistently the whole year. I can see it lasting a bit but the novelty will wear off quite fast and we haven't even discussed if games will actually be televised. There isn't any tv deal to reap the rewards by televising games at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad