Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
After the draft completed yesterday it marked that the Spitfires have only had 2 european imports selected in the NHL draft over the past 10 drafts.

Sergachev 2017
Khokhlachev 2011

There are many things the Spitfires need to address as an organization and this has to be one of the top ones. It's to the point where back in the Riolo days they would just trade the pick because they knew they couldn't get anybody. At least they would get an asset in return. Now with the inability to trade that pick the Spits are just drafting guys on a wing and a prayer hoping they can produce and the Spits can develop them into NHL picks. I don't see this really changing unless the Spits get new ownership because you need to make the investment to scout these guys and talk to agents and get them to report.

Reactions: Cherrydon and stips

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I’m not hopeful for a season after today’s announcement that the only way it happens is without contact. Ridiculous to even try to play that way! Good for those drafted, but if this doesn’t shine a spotlight on how poorly our players are being coached nothing will! Problem is, who buys a franchise with what’s going on??

In regards to your last sentence/question. Obviously the pandemic has made it trickier. The one thing we do know is a year or so ago they were extremely interested in selling the team. I can't see the value of a team going up during this time but that shouldn't change the idea of wanting to sell. If this ownership group doesn't want to make the investment into their current product they should find someone that does. Like I said before though we need remember these are the same guys that wanted to sell to the dentist.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
If you want to make money in the OHL ,you better be able to produce high draft picks. NHL compensation for the development of these players is then realized. Therefore, if you don't do your work with diligence, such as scouting thoroughly, making agent contacts, meeting with players and parents, former coaches, drafting lists prepared carefully, ect, then you will rapidly fall behind the other teams. Next, the team has to have a coach that will develop their players!
Failure in any area will cost the team big money.

Another point is how many times during the NHL draft did you hear how important the character of a player corresponds to their final draft position. The NHL spends a great deal of time figuring this out, since player effort, coach ability, and talent make these players potential NHLers!

I strongly think the Spitfires management plan needs to be reevaluated!!!!!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Loan: Yegor Afanasyev (F) | Nashville Predators -> CSKA Moskva | eliteprospects.com/t.php?id=434290 #KHL

Not surprising it was doubtful he would even return if there is some sort of season. He can play over there and then go to the AHL if they really like him. Spits get 120 games in Rafkin and Egor and with not a lot of prospects in the pipeline and Bowler not the best recruiter to date.

43f.gif

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Re Afanasyev: On a plus side, one of the 2nds we got for DiPietro became Pasquale Zito, who looks like he's going to be a real good one.

I would be surprised if anyone could draw a conclusion off of a 3g 10a season and saying he will be a real good one. I would say like with most players at that age the jury is out. Throw in most likely a lost season of development like with all 16 year olds going into this year. When he hopefully returns for a full year the roster will be totally different.

Delete
Douglas
Angle
Egor
Playfair
Rupoli
Corcoran
Rafkin

Zito isn't a star type guy who can carry the play, he needs a lot of talent around him. The question becomes where does that talent come from??

Reactions: windsor7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia