Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

I find it difficult to compare the Staios trade and the Renwick trades. I think you should be comparing the Staios trade and the Rychel trade. Both were influenced by Who’s yer daddy?
The thing that bothers me most is the lack of hockey trades that are completed. I‘ave forgotten the last time we traded a player for a player. If Bowler was unable to trade McDonald for a D-man to play 3-4 for the Spits then I suggest perhaps we have an inflated opinion of the value of many of our players.
Just a silly guess but I think Renwick was picked up to play 2-3-4 on this team if Corcoran is gone. If so what value do we expect for...Angle, Corcoran, Douglas. If traded around trading camp.
What value do we put on...Ladd, Henault, Robinson? Just curious... **note I was typing this post and had not seen the post by cfaub..

In the end it comes down to two things with any deal.

Perceived value acquired or given up at the time of the deal.

Real value in terms of what those players/picks actually provide in results after the deal is done.

What do they get from the picks acquired from the Staois deal? Yes it was a nice return but how do they help the team after they were used?

Same can be said in the Renwick or Maggio deals. High price to pay on the surface but how do those players improve the team?

Giving up 2x 2nds for Maggio was extremely high but if he puts up 20+ goals a year and plays an OA season it's worth it. If he has 3 more years similar to last season, bottom 6, not many points then 2x 2nds for 4 years of a bottom 6 role player was an even higher price to pay than it initially appeared when a prospect you already used a pick to draft could have done the same.

The Renwick deal should be judged the same. Does he provide comparatively better results than Maggio last year or does he become similar to Maggio? Right now the price looks high based on past stats and not seeing him play much. He could become a 2/3/4 Dman on the Spits but is it by default or because he is a 2/3/4 Dman on most competitive teams in the league. That will ultimately determine if Bowler got good value or not.

member 71782

The only pick that's been made so far is London's 2nd 2020, which was G Kyle Downey.

That's fine and if he does as well as most hope he will then that's an excellent use of that pick.

The remainder we'll see as they're used in trades or when the picks are made.

If Renwick comes in and is a solid top 4 contributor the next couple of seasons then Windsor gets good value out of those picks,nothing wrong with that, particularly if he helps bring some success to the team. If he ends up being a 5/6 D who doesn't add much then that's a huge over pay for someone who's role could have been filled by a prospect.

For now that deal seems pricey but as I said, not seeing him play much that's based on stats. I would rather see him succeed and he exceeds the value given up then not but it just looks expensive at the moment.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not a huge fan of the price right now but, if the talk about his character is true, and he can contribute in multiple ways, that's a step in the right direction.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm not a huge fan of the price right now but, if the talk about his character is true, and he can contribute in multiple ways, that's a step in the right direction.

I can c now that he will be a fan favorite shortly someone will say.... haha

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I am not shocked at all that you rip Bowler any chance you get!.....What have you done in the hockey world up to this date?
I can tell you he's never been charged with sexual assault while captain of the team, or pretended to have no idea the rookies were all stuffed in the bus bathroom. windsor7 will never be confused with Scotty Bowman any time soon but that puts him a step above Bowler in my books.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I am not shocked at all that you rip Bowler any chance you get!.....What have you done in the hockey world up to this date?

Well if Windsor7 had found a way to trade for a depth D, and another top 4-5 D and then (Staois deal) find a way to get picks for a D then he would be even with Bowler. The good thing is at least one fan here would be singing the praises of Windsor7.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Windsor needed help on D.
Bowler made a move. On the surface a pricey one but no idea on prices league wide now.
Agree with previous posters, it shouldn't be compared to Staois deal.
I will say I did like Renwick's play in the limited time I saw him in MM tournies.
But no idea how he performed in Hamilton.

Reactions: windsor7

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spits at this point are between a rock and a hard place. No matter what they do a number of STH will be unhappy.
I wouldn’t like to have my money invested in this or any sporting team at this time...

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits at this point are between a rock and a hard place. No matter what they do a number of STH will be unhappy.
I wouldn’t like to have my money invested in this or any sporting team at this time...

Very true.
Going to be a hard sell to buy tickets.
Numbers were already down last few years.
Just imagine this year if there is hockey at all.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
^ ever feel like a thread killer??

I don't think anyone is really killing the thread. Too much uncertainty would be contributing to that more than anything. Organizations want to get the word out but even then I doubt many people will be paying attention to what they say until the OHL says something. Everything will take care of itself whether it's a Nov/Dec start or even Jan.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Lol do you really need to stick up for him??! The schtick gets old.

Not sticking up for him just don't get the idea why his post is such a big deal?? Not a shtick I don't agree with things he says but unlike you I don't have to post a response to say I disagree with him.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not sure if anyone has had a chance to read Brock's Euro draft review or not, I would recommend it as a good read.

Interesting that he indicates the Spits have been trying for 2 years to recruit their pick, Sobolev.

Reading between the lines it looks Like Bowler took the easy route on this one. Warren and the then Euro scouts had identified him 2 years ago so Bowler just went with that choice. Also indicates he is not considered "upper tier" . Well that part is a wait and see for me. Always think you have to give them a chance to prove themselves and you need to be patient with them coming from the Euro game to play the NA style, smaller rinks different culture etc. Lets hope we have a season and the players are allowed to come over.

Reactions: member 71782

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not sure if anyone has had a chance to read Brock's Euro draft review or not, I would recommend it as a good read.

Interesting that he indicates the Spits have been trying for 2 years to recruit their pick, Sobolev.

Reading between the lines it looks Like Bowler took the easy route on this one. Warren and the then Euro scouts had identified him 2 years ago so Bowler just went with that choice. Also indicates he is not considered "upper tier" . Well that part is a wait and see for me. Always think you have to give them a chance to prove themselves and you need to be patient with them coming from the Euro game to play the NA style, smaller rinks different culture etc. Lets hope we have a season and the players are allowed to come over.

This is a good post. I think a lot of Bowler's tenure can be summed up about making moves out of necessity not out of want. Staois wants out and a trade happens, Stevenson is hurt so gotta move a pick for Rupoli, draft an import D that prior regime knew of and with Rafkin leaving early they need to get a D. At this point he's more reactive than proactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad