Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Everyone don't write off Corcoran for this season too quick. Although he's signed, the NHL rumor makers state the AHL is a for sure no go without fans, much like the CHL. These players will need to play somewhere to keep in shape. The best alternative is the CHL for any players NHL signed but still eligible in junior. Most think the AHL won't play again until 2021-2022 season. Especially now that the pandemic is worse in the U.S. than ever before as far as new cases.

member 71782

Bowler made a trade, for someone with some distant connections to the team. If there's no connection and no one asking to leave he doesn't seem too inclined to make any trades to improve the team.

A former 2nd round pick with 4G/16A/20P in 77 games over the last two seasons for 2x 2nds and a conditional 5th if he plays an OA year. Betting on all those picks being gone.

I believe the OSH 2nd 2024 should be OSH 2nd 2022, the draft pick database shows NIA having the OSH 2nd 2024. That leaves Windsor with the following on their draft board from now until 2024

YEARRND 1RND 2RND 3RND 4RND 5RND 6
2021WSR 1STBAR 2ND ---WSR 4TH
FLT 4TH
ERI 5THWSR 6TH
SSM 6TH
2022WSR 1STOTT 2NDWSR 3RDERI 4THWSR 5THWSR 6TH
KGN 6TH
2023WSR 1STOTT 2NDHAM 3RD (COND)
KIT 3RD
KNG 3RD
--- ---WSR 6TH
2024WSR 1ST ---BAR 3RDWSR 4THHAM 5TH (COND)WSR 6TH
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So what does Renwick bring to the table? A two way D with some offensive upside?

At least the D will be set for next season before training camp unless Robinson gets moved.

G (2+1)
02 Medina
04 Downey

02 Tovell signed

D (7+2)
00 Corcoran or 00 Rupoli - Both OAs and Rupoli only returns if Corcoran doesn't.
01 Henault
01 Ladd
02 Robinson
02 Renwick
03 Sobolev - Import
04 De Angelis

02 Rafkin - Import who likely won't be coming back to Windsor but Bowler protected his rights anyway.
03 Jodoin signed

F (11)
00 Angle OA
00 Douglas OA
01 Afanasyev
01 D'Amico
02 Cuylle
02 Foudy
02 Maggio
02 McDonald
03 Johnston
03 Zito
04 Abrham

IF somehow McDonald returns and Corcoran doesn't return then do we see Rupoli, who can play F or D become the 12th F this year? Not betting on Rafkin returning but IF this is how things play out Windsor would have 2x G, 6x D, 12x F with no extra bodies and likely no open spots in camp, a ready made roster that doesn't require spending anymore money on, just a late round draft pick if there's any long term injuries. I'm sure there's a couple of kids in the system who could probably step up and earn a spot but that would require a financial commitment from the org so likely not going to happen.

My guess, barring any future trade requests this is our roster next season with any additions to replace anyone who wants out seeing either a player come back in return or late round picks going out to replace them.

This team doesn't seem to have any direction or plan except maybe waiting for Rychel picks to graduate to be replaced by Bowler picks in the future. That would mean another 2 - 3 years of transitioning through this process with very little attempt to add assets in that time.

Reactions: windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Imho this will be a very telling season. TL ‘s contract is up, who by and how is he replaced or I’m gonna say it, resigned... Rafkin??? Does the sale ive heard so much about happen if this damn COVID shit is gone? If it’s not gone how does that affect the season and the future??? What does the season look like, with BB looking like a puppet for money conscious employers??? These are going to be very important times for this franchise and jr hockey as a whole. Let’s hope an owner group takes this team and returns it to a solid, well thought of franchise.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Imho this will be a very telling season. TL ‘s contract is up, who by and how is he replaced or I’m gonna say it, resigned... Rafkin??? Does the sale ive heard so much about happen if this damn COVID shit is gone? If it’s not gone how does that affect the season and the future??? What does the season look like, with BB looking like a puppet for money conscious employers??? These are going to be very important times for this franchise and jr hockey as a whole. Let’s hope an owner group takes this team and returns it to a solid, well thought of franchise.

Worst case scenario is they sign trevor for another year because the savages r too cheap to look elsewhere.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bowler made a trade, for someone with some distant connections to the team. If there's no connection and no one asking to leave he doesn't seem too inclined to make any trades to improve the team.

A former 2nd round pick with 4G/16A/20P in 77 games over the last two seasons for 2x 2nds and a conditional 5th if he plays an OA year. Betting on all those picks being gone.

I believe the OSH 2nd 2024 should be OSH 2nd 2022, the draft pick database shows NIA having the OSH 2nd 2024. That leaves Windsor with the following on their draft board from now until 2024

YEARRND 1RND 2RND 3RND 4RND 5RND 6
2021WSR 1STBAR 2ND ---WSR 4TH
FLT 4TH
ERI 5THWSR 6TH
SSM 6TH
2022WSR 1STOTT 2NDWSR 3RDERI 4THWSR 5THWSR 6TH
KGN 6TH
2023WSR 1STOTT 2NDHAM 3RD (COND)
KIT 3RD
KNG 3RD
--- ---WSR 6TH
2024WSR 1ST ---BAR 3RDWSR 4THHAM 5TH (COND)WSR 6TH
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So what does Renwick bring to the table? A two way D with some offensive upside?

At least the D will be set for next season before training camp unless Robinson gets moved.

G (2+1)
02 Medina
04 Downey

02 Tovell signed

D (7+2)
00 Corcoran or 00 Rupoli - Both OAs and Rupoli only returns if Corcoran doesn't.
01 Henault
01 Ladd
02 Robinson
02 Renwick
03 Sobolev - Import
04 De Angelis

02 Rafkin - Import who likely won't be coming back to Windsor but Bowler protected his rights anyway.
03 Jodoin signed

F (11)
00 Angle OA
00 Douglas OA
01 Afanasyev
01 D'Amico
02 Cuylle
02 Foudy
02 Maggio
02 McDonald
03 Johnston
03 Zito
04 Abrham

IF somehow McDonald returns and Corcoran doesn't return then do we see Rupoli, who can play F or D become the 12th F this year? Not betting on Rafkin returning but IF this is how things play out Windsor would have 2x G, 6x D, 12x F with no extra bodies and likely no open spots in camp, a ready made roster that doesn't require spending anymore money on, just a late round draft pick if there's any long term injuries. I'm sure there's a couple of kids in the system who could probably step up and earn a spot but that would require a financial commitment from the org so likely not going to happen.

My guess, barring any future trade requests this is our roster next season with any additions to replace anyone who wants out seeing either a player come back in return or late round picks going out to replace them.

This team doesn't seem to have any direction or plan except maybe waiting for Rychel picks to graduate to be replaced by Bowler picks in the future. That would mean another 2 - 3 years of transitioning through this process with very little attempt to add assets in that time.

Team freight on local kids is the 2nd round pick. If I was an opposing team in the league I would call up Bowler asap offering that kid for a bundle of 2nd round picks. Amazing how quickly those 2nd's disappear. They don't even have enough picks to be creative and make big moves at the deadline.

member 71782

Could anyone imagine the cost to bring the kid in London back to Windsor if there's any connections?

Hunter would probably clean out Windsor's draft cupboard in one deal.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Could anyone imagine the cost to bring the kid in London back to Windsor if there's any connections?

Hunter would probably clean out Windsor's draft cupboard in one deal.

Easily. Hands down!
He easily clean windsor out.
In a moment.

member 71782

Bowler got more for Staios than he gave up for Renwick....

I would hope so.

A 1st round pick with more games/production versus a 2nd round pick. Both were traded at the same age so what they've done is comparable and by all accounts Staois is the better player.

My concern is what's the value of Robinson and/or McDonald versus Renwick in a trade? How would they replace them on the roster and what would those costs be if they aren't replaced internally?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I would hope so.

A 1st round pick with more games/production versus a 2nd round pick. Both were traded at the same age so what they've done is comparable and by all accounts Staois is the better player.

My concern is what's the value of Robinson and/or McDonald versus Renwick in a trade? How would they replace them on the roster and what would those costs be if they aren't replaced internally?

Guess bowler will just give out more 2nds like its candy.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

My comment was strictly a notion that, as much as they wanted to poke at Bowler, he did well in the Staios trade. Nothing more. Nothing less.

member 71782

My comment was strictly a notion that, as much as they wanted to poke at Bowler, he did well in the Staios trade. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Agree he did well in that deal, this deal so far seems a bit pricey, we'll see how Renwick does though and hopefully he can justify the cost.

Looking at the Renwick deal does Robinson or McDonald carry higher/lower/similar value to Renwick? Then the cost to replace them affects the return as well.

Staois was basically replaced internally with Robinson. Nice return and no assets to replace him with a prospect even though Robinson wasn't the same level of player.

Renwick is likely a replacement for Corcoran on the roster in case he doesn't return. Obviously not the same level of player right now which is fine but were there prospects who could have provided a similar value without the expense?

Robinson and/or McDonald would require the same questions to be asked. If they are moved is it for an upgraded player with picks going out or will it be for a downgraded player with picks coming back?

Reactions: punch1943

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I find it difficult to compare the Staios trade and the Renwick trades. I think you should be comparing the Staios trade and the Rychel trade. Both were influenced by Who’s yer daddy?
The thing that bothers me most is the lack of hockey trades that are completed. I‘ave forgotten the last time we traded a player for a player. If Bowler was unable to trade McDonald for a D-man to play 3-4 for the Spits then I suggest perhaps we have an inflated opinion of the value of many of our players.
Just a silly guess but I think Renwick was picked up to play 2-3-4 on this team if Corcoran is gone. If so what value do we expect for...Angle, Corcoran, Douglas. If traded around trading camp.
What value do we put on...Ladd, Henault, Robinson? Just curious... **note I was typing this post and had not seen the post by cfaub..

Reactions: member 71782

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lmao. BB didn't truly make that deal for Staois!!! For a guy with inside knowledge you should know this! That had WR written all over it. BB just signed the papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad