Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
My point was more that people need to help the overall cause more because, the more we complain and ignore, the longer we'll be in this.

Get used to it.
This is not going awat for a long time.
If no hockey for a year. So be it.

Reactions: Ambassador4

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It is the middle of July and as far as the pandemic, it's worse today then March. Tensions high for a 2nd wave and the 1st wave isn't over and the U.S. hits new heights daily. Ontario will see a surge once things open more. The whole sports thing with fans is a pipe dream right now. With billets involved,schools, cross border teams, liability, I don't expect a 20-21 season. They are reporting today already having Covid protects you only for a few weeks. Vaccine, hopefully, long lasting protection, doubtful at this point. How many will refuse to take it anyways. f.b. faithful will generate some kind of hoax as usual. Too many fools out there. Get used to the new Norm. Masks will eventually become mandatory everywhere for some time to come. I'm sick of the defiance of people who refuse to wear them. The western world still too selfish to change with the times. The numbers are the proof. You don't want to comply just f-off. I'm tired of fools thinking it will disappear on it's own. There is nothing more I would like than to resume the"old way" and crowds are allowed. Without fans in the stands,the CHL will evaporate. Their pockets are deep enough with this new lawsuit pending. You want to enjoy sports again, buckle up and do your part and promote the same. I've talked to many fellow STH and they all have stated that you won't catch them in the WFCU until there is a cure/prevention. I doubt my relatives and friends are different than yours. Die hard fans to the point they don't want to die to watch the SPITS. Too many questions, I truly feel horrible for the age group stuck in Junior hockey at present. Missing games/practice/season? It sucks beyond words. Selfish f-nuts prevents the rest of us from putting this behind us.

I don't believe it's worse today than it was in March. Cases are getting lower here. Sure if you compare it to the states but that's the outlier as well. I am not going to debate the merits of a mask etc.. That being said when the chief medical officer here says that there is very little science behind wearing a mask and it's doing to protect people from others, the same guy who said a couple months ago masks wouldn't be necessary. I wouldn't exactly be pinning my wagon to that guy.

I am not in the boat of cases surging when things open up. Things opened up a few weeks ago and the cases on a daily basis are still in the 100's which is good. The work done from June 1st when you were getting 300+ cases daily to now is good.

Fans not wanting to come back without a vaccine? Well we are waiting 40 years now almost for a aids vaccine. Most effective vaccine took 4 years to hit the market (measles). Like with any vaccine it will be the choice of that person. The flu shot isn't 100% effective and people still get sick after if they take it. It only includes certain strains and not a cure all.

I think it's a slippery slope to correlate people being selfish to whether or not there will or won't be a season. There's more that goes into things than a person wearing or not wearing a mask to having fans at CHL games. If everyone wore a mask we still wouldn't see 3000 people allowed in WFCU Centre. They need to find the proper retro fits, and a plan that works. There's a reason the government is leaving it up to teams because every case is different.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I don't believe it's worse today than it was in March. Cases are getting lower here. Sure if you compare it to the states but that's the outlier as well. I am not going to debate the merits of a mask etc.. That being said when the chief medical officer here says that there is very little science behind wearing a mask and it's doing to protect people from others, the same guy who said a couple months ago masks wouldn't be necessary. I wouldn't exactly be pinning my wagon to that guy.

I am not in the boat of cases surging when things open up. Things opened up a few weeks ago and the cases on a daily basis are still in the 100's which is good. The work done from June 1st when you were getting 300+ cases daily to now is good.

Fans not wanting to come back without a vaccine? Well we are waiting 40 years now almost for a aids vaccine. Most effective vaccine took 4 years to hit the market (measles). Like with any vaccine it will be the choice of that person. The flu shot isn't 100% effective and people still get sick after if they take it. It only includes certain strains and not a cure all.

I think it's a slippery slope to correlate people being selfish to whether or not there will or won't be a season. There's more that goes into things than a person wearing or not wearing a mask to having fans at CHL games. If everyone wore a mask we still wouldn't see 3000 people allowed in WFCU Centre. They need to find the proper retro fits, and a plan that works. There's a reason the government is leaving it up to teams because every case is different.
When I said things are worse now, yes speaking about the U.S. Ontario really hasn't been open yet. Bars, restaurants etc. You don't think numbers would rise again without masks? The majority of Ontario populated areas have mask wearing policies, that is why are numbers are steady. Yes, there is no vaccine for aids but you don't contract aids by going to an arena. Countries that fine/enforce mask wearing have way more control over the virus. My point was simple, you don't want to wear a mask, fine then stay home. Not an issue. On how to make sporting events safe, no one has come up with a solution. A vaccine is what most are hinging on as the solution. The selfish people do impact when/if we have a season.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The issue with vaccination is you'll never get 100% of the population on board. If that's the goal, I'd argue it's impossible. It doesn't matter what type of vaccine you're talking about, there will always be people who don't want it for one reason or another. Some for good reason, others not so much. IF they come up with a vaccine that's readily available to the public, maybe it's a case of "we have it IF we need it", as opposed to "you need to take this." Kind of like the flu shot. Nobody is forced into that, but they've got it. This might be the simplest solution because, realistically, I don't see them stopping sports until 100% of the pop'n has the vaccine. That's not realistic.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
When I said things are worse now, yes speaking about the U.S. Ontario really hasn't been open yet. Bars, restaurants etc. You don't think numbers would rise again without masks? The majority of Ontario populated areas have mask wearing policies, that is why are numbers are steady. Yes, there is no vaccine for aids but you don't contract aids by going to an arena. Countries that fine/enforce mask wearing have way more control over the virus. My point was simple, you don't want to wear a mask, fine then stay home. Not an issue. On how to make sporting events safe, no one has come up with a solution. A vaccine is what most are hinging on as the solution. The selfish people do impact when/if we have a season.

Before stage 2 banks/grocery stores/service ontario/canadian tire/home hardware/costco/home depot/lowes were all still open but with limited capacity. For the past 3 weeks we have been in stage 2 which means patios for restaurants are open along with a few other things but those same stores mentioned above are still operating just with more capacity. For sports hoping on the magic bullet of a vaccine is a fools errand. I don't buy that selfish people impacting when/if there is a season because there are many cities still that have OHL teams that don't make mask wearing mandatory. Wouldn't those cities have a far larger effect than a city instituting mask wearing but not all following that??

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Dreger just posted that the BCHL is looking at a Dec. 1 starting date that could extend the season into May. OHL is in communication with health/gov't officials.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Until I have had a vaccine or the disease mysteriously , I won't be attending any games. My personal preference. Things to consider before return to play.
1. Liability for the players. Can a minor sign a waiver? I am not a lawyer.
2. Billets and their families well being.
3. 3 U.S. teams, 14 day quarantine?
4. Players attending school potentially spreading the virus from area to area
5. A few hundred fans spread out over the arena. STH sec 109 row 30? Not!
6.corporate suites and entertainment dollars from a strapped economy?
7. Ontario government has already stated to not expect any mass gatherings for the forseeable future. What time line is that?
8. What if a player gets infected and doesn't do well? I won't even dare say it.
9.Walking around the entire arena in one direction to social distance. Damm long pee break.
10. Full face shields, fighting, spitting and the list goes on.
These are only a few of the things that popped up in my head in a few minutes.
Number 1 should be stated. Branch has stated over and over again 90% of a team's revenue comes from ticket sales. Throw in the existing lawsuits/fines and drastically reduced crowd potential. Not looking pretty.
That is why I state people's selfishness effects everything at this point. Covid needs to go Asap with all means possible.

Reactions: scokan and windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
-IF IF IF and when they start up (Dec/Jan) I can see the US based teams operating out of a Canadian city. Yes an extra cost for team but no lost revenue as seats will be empty and the league will need to chip in to make it work in regards to accomodations. Saves the border issue. ( I have heard this a couple times as being considered )
-Players taking courses thru virtual means if they prefer the US school model.
-NHL will have to support the development league (CHL) in some way in the short term, as its in their best interest to keep it running and no or limited fans wont be conducive to teams operating without support.
-some players will not return to the league and opt out and leave the league ( I get it and support it if player/family is uncomfortable)

Unprecedented times for the OHL.
Safety first, but they will follow the lead of pro leagues and hopefully also follow provincial and municipal health guidelines AND best practices.

Sucks on so many levels. Players, fans, direct business of owning team, spin off businesses, charities, community outreach from team/players, socially ect...

Is what it is.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Until I have had a vaccine or the disease mysteriously , I won't be attending any games. My personal preference. Things to consider before return to play.
1. Liability for the players. Can a minor sign a waiver? I am not a lawyer.
2. Billets and their families well being.
3. 3 U.S. teams, 14 day quarantine?
4. Players attending school potentially spreading the virus from area to area
5. A few hundred fans spread out over the arena. STH sec 109 row 30? Not!
6.corporate suites and entertainment dollars from a strapped economy?
7. Ontario government has already stated to not expect any mass gatherings for the forseeable future. What time line is that?
8. What if a player gets infected and doesn't do well? I won't even dare say it.
9.Walking around the entire arena in one direction to social distance. Damm long pee break.
10. Full face shields, fighting, spitting and the list goes on.
These are only a few of the things that popped up in my head in a few minutes.
Number 1 should be stated. Branch has stated over and over again 90% of a team's revenue comes from ticket sales. Throw in the existing lawsuits/fines and drastically reduced crowd potential. Not looking pretty.
That is why I state people's selfishness effects everything at this point. Covid needs to go Asap with all means possible.

1. Yes, as long as an adult/parent/guardian/lawyer is present and the person is not cohersed.
2. Big thing

3. Could be a non starter if the government allows american baseball teams to come into Ontario and play a 3 game series with the condition of them not leaving their hotel at all. I doubt it would be an issue with american OHL teams.

4. That would be up to each individual board in the respective Ontario cities and the health officers/ministry of education signing off on it.

5. Definitely not happening in September/October, doubtful for November.

6. A lot of those corporate suites were purchased in the form of a contract committing to certain years. If they still have a contract they wouldn't be on the hook for no games played but if games are played they would be on the hook for them.

7. Quite long

8. Yeah not even worth discussing for obvious reasons

9. Many professional sport franchises have come up with plans of only one entrance and one exit in order to control the flow of people. Concessions/restrooms big concern but in this case the OHL would most likely have to monitor how many people go into the restroom at a time. I have seen places with urinals in order to separate having a garbage bag over one to maintain social distancing.

10. NHL players are being told not to spit, avoid scrums etc... Might be tough for them but professionals may have an easier time following that edict than teenagers.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
-IF IF IF and when they start up (Dec/Jan) I can see the US based teams operating out of a Canadian city. Yes an extra cost for team but no lost revenue as seats will be empty and the league will need to chip in to make it work in regards to accomodations. Saves the border issue. ( I have heard this a couple times as being considered )
-Players taking courses thru virtual means if they prefer the US school model.
-NHL will have to support the development league (CHL) in some way in the short term, as its in their best interest to keep it running and no or limited fans wont be conducive to teams operating without support.
-some players will not return to the league and opt out and leave the league ( I get it and support it if player/family is uncomfortable)

Unprecedented times for the OHL.
Safety first, but they will follow the lead of pro leagues and hopefully also follow provincial and municipal health guidelines AND best practices.

Sucks on so many levels. Players, fans, direct business of owning team, spin off businesses, charities, community outreach from team/players, socially ect...

Is what it is.

I think the most interesting part is mentioning the NHL supporting the CHL. Part of me thinks the NHL wanted to get this playoff in for their tv deal whether it be hell or high water. They were able to pull it off with 2 hubs in Canada. Come the new season and 24 american teams in the NHL and looking at current numbers is it feasible to actually have an NHL season for 2020-2021?? Teams travelling in and out of cities routinely??? The good thing is they have 4-5 months to figure that out and get things together. On the downside 24 american teams need to figure something out.

Reactions: windsor7

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
1. Yes, as long as an adult/parent/guardian/lawyer is present and the person is not cohersed.
2. Big thing

3. Could be a non starter if the government allows american baseball teams to come into Ontario and play a 3 game series with the condition of them not leaving their hotel at all. I doubt it would be an issue with american OHL teams.

4. That would be up to each individual board in the respective Ontario cities and the health officers/ministry of education signing off on it.

6. A lot of those corporate suites were purchased in the form of a contract committing to certain years. If they still have a contract they wouldn't be on the hook for no games played but if games are played they would be on the hook for them.

7. Quite long

9. Many professional sport franchises have come up with plans of only one entrance and one exit in order to control the flow of people. Concessions/restrooms big concern but in this case the OHL would most likely have to monitor how many people go into the restroom at a time. I have seen places with urinals in order to separate having a garbage bag over one to maintain social distancing.

10. NHL players are being told not to spit, avoid scrums etc... Might be tough for them but professionals may have an easier time following that edict than teenagers.
Your answer to number 1 is incorrect - Can't be just "any" adult ( there are other player on most teams that are legal adults) . Has to be a parent or legal guardian and they must sign as well. Lawyer can only sign if the parents or legal guardian are not available and approved by them to sign on their behalf.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
2. Big thing

7. Quite long

There is currently a 75 bed (unused) field hospital set up at the Bayshore ice surface in Owen Sound.

It is to remain until at least the end if September, at which time it may be relocating, at great expense. Or not.
No hockey at Bayshore till that is resolved.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Right so it could still be an adult appointed by parents eg. Billet.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/15/ohio-state-players-waiver-covid19
Yes as most Billets are assigned these rights but knowing Billets they would discuss this with the parents before they signed off. Not sure such a waiver would be considered for the OHL to allow kids to play. They would be asked to sign off that they are aware of the risks but don't think a waiver would hold much weight.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
2. Big thing

7. Quite long

Good points to add to the discussion. Much appreciated. My focus is to do it right the first time. Conversation with different opinions helps cover all the issues and hopefully adds to the solution.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yes as most Billets are assigned these rights but knowing Billets they would discuss this with the parents before they signed off. Not sure such a waiver would be considered for the OHL to allow kids to play. They would be asked to sign off that they are aware of the risks but don't think a waiver would hold much weight.

Oh absolutely they would. I wouldn't be surprised if a waiver is signed especially if there is difficulty finding billets (which shouldn't be a surprise). I think a lot of this has to do with unfortunately teenagers can't be trusted. Just like university athletes you're not keeping 85-100 football players in a bubble, and you won't keep 20-25 teenage hockey players in a bubble.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
With the Federal government denying MLB players to come and go without the 14 day quarantine , kinda sets the tone to come for some time. The Buffalo Blue Jays lol. I can't see the U.S. OHL paying the costs to keep their teams in Ontario to play with no revenue generated. Just not realistic.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
With the Federal government denying MLB players to come and go without the 14 day quarantine , kinda sets the tone to come for some time. The Buffalo Blue Jays lol. I can't see the U.S. OHL paying the costs to keep their teams in Ontario to play with no revenue generated. Just not realistic.

The only (though, large enough) difference for me is that MLB is slated to start very soon, whereas the OHL wouldn't start for 2-3 months.

Reactions: NewSpitfiresfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad