Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
No much new from my perspective although I see the Spits are doing some posting via twitter to keep a bit of news in front of their fans. Hopefully someone on this board will have some news for the rest of us..

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
No much new from my perspective although I see the Spits are doing some posting via twitter to keep a bit of news in front of their fans. Hopefully someone on this board will have some news for the rest of us..

No news is usual.
Everything at stand still.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Savages better open up their pocket books.
The chl law suit is settled.
Several sources say that each chl team is to pay 250 grand in damages.
Ouch.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Savages better open up their pocket books.
The chl law suit is settled.
Several sources say that each chl team is to pay 250 grand in damages.
Ouch.

But but but... I thought the Spits were poor and losing a lot of money??? People like CHL hockey but never wanted to know what they put in the sauce well it's out there for everyone to see. The CHL made money on the back of teenagers and they got nothing in return of monetary gain. The CHL is no different than big corporations that ship their production out to sweat shops.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Unfortunately, especially in these times with fans in the stands some time away, I expect this could easily shutter some clubs for good. I'm sure buyers are not standing in line right now for any club.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think it will be very interesting moving forward. This is a lawsuit that went back years and now it's come to a head. Are there any players over the past couple years that haven't gotten their education paid for? Will we be doing this song and dance again a few years from now? It wouldn't surprise me because if teams defaulted on education packages in the first place why would they have stopped??

If teams had to fold that's fine. Would it be sad for fans in that city/town? Yes but it's business and not every business venture is successful. The question that needs to be asked is how does Branch survive this? He was the commissioner of the OHL during this time, he knew about this and obviously complicit in this.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I would hope that nobody has to fold. Yes, it's tough right now and, yes, business decisions need to be made, but a team folding is still huge for any community. Right now, most teams are a big part of the town. Losing them isn't just an "okay, cool, let's move on" thing... it affects thousands of people.

Reactions: the dog

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I wonder if the Spit owners would consider suing D Branch and the CHL over the drop in value of the team after the forced cancellation of the sale to Smiles are Us and now the $250,o00 payout for the lawsuit. The payout is supposedly covered by insurance but details on that are sketchy at best.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I wonder if the Spit owners would consider suing D Branch and the CHL over the drop in value of the team after the forced cancellation of the sale to Smiles are Us and now the $250,o00 payout for the lawsuit. The payout is supposedly covered by insurance but details on that are sketchy at best.

Good luck in that law suit.
Windsor would just lose more money the longer it went to court.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
But but but... I thought the Spits were poor and losing a lot of money??? People like CHL hockey but never wanted to know what they put in the sauce well it's out there for everyone to see. The CHL made money on the back of teenagers and they got nothing in return of monetary gain. The CHL is no different than big corporations that ship their production out to sweat shops.

NCAA is the same as the CHL,and now it looks like players can profit from their likeness while playing their NCAA sport,no different then CHL players being paid. In my view if college players are profiting then they are earning money which is supposed to be illegal in the NCAA,athletes playing junior hockey should not be deemed ineligible.
NCAA is just as bad as the CHL then another sweat shop corporation right?

Reactions: Ward Cornell

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would hope that nobody has to fold. Yes, it's tough right now and, yes, business decisions need to be made, but a team folding is still huge for any community. Right now, most teams are a big part of the town. Losing them isn't just an "okay, cool, let's move on" thing... it affects thousands of people.

Nobody said it's not a big deal but like I said it's a business. If the team isn't financially solvent or viable any longer you just can't keep on having the team around that goes for any team in any league. Who said it wouldn't effect people?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yes, it's a business, but folding a team should be a last resort and looked at as a serious deal. It shouldn't be "that's fine." If the Spitfires folded this summer, would we say "it's fine"? Hell no. We're talking generations of history. The same goes for several teams around the league.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There may be owners that will need to sell, but I very much doubt folding would be the right business decision for a franchise recently valued in the $10M range. Windsor is a viable OHL market. It would not be long before a team with a different nickname bought out the arena rights cheap or played at another venue briefly until the spits defaulted on the arena deal.

Reactions: OHLTG

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The 8 U.S. teams are lucky they weren't part of the lawsuit. From what I read this morning, each team portion was a little over $576,000. After the leagues pay their portion and the insurance coverage subtracted, it would still leave all 52 teams a balance of approx $250,000 a piece to pay. No play-off revenue for anybody this season and insurance rates sure to skyrocket after this settlement that is going sting hard for most clubs.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
NCAA is the same as the CHL,and now it looks like players can profit from their likeness while playing their NCAA sport,no different then CHL players being paid. In my view if college players are profiting then they are earning money which is supposed to be illegal in the NCAA,athletes playing junior hockey should not be deemed ineligible.
NCAA is just as bad as the CHL then another sweat shop corporation right?

The NCAA isn't even as close to the CHL. The school that draws the most revenue is BU at 8 million and that doesn't account for any expenses. That's why a lot of schools are subsidized by the schools. If you think the CHL and their owners who pay for an education package for a player to go to St Clair College and the NCAA as players attend schools like Brown/Princeton/Colgate/Cornell/Yale/Harvard/Union/Army/Air Force and many more. NCAA hockey programs haven't cried poor with the exception of Bowling Green. For college hockey players class isn't optional. In the CHL once you graduate high school you don't have to take classes at college/university. Very few hockey players in the NCAA will ever profit for their likeness. If playing hockey and getting a degree from a school is the same as CHL schools claiming they're poor when they didn't pay out education packages. The CHL should consider this a win because the players still get paid peanuts.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The NCAA isn't even as close to the CHL. The school that draws the most revenue is BU at 8 million and that doesn't account for any expenses. That's why a lot of schools are subsidized by the schools. If you think the CHL and their owners who pay for an education package for a player to go to St Clair College and the NCAA as players attend schools like Brown/Princeton/Colgate/Cornell/Yale/Harvard/Union/Army/Air Force and many more. NCAA hockey programs haven't cried poor with the exception of Bowling Green. For college hockey players class isn't optional. In the CHL once you graduate high school you don't have to take classes at college/university. Very few hockey players in the NCAA will ever profit for their likeness. If playing hockey and getting a degree from a school is the same as CHL schools claiming they're poor when they didn't pay out education packages. The CHL should consider this a win because the players still get paid peanuts.
Not trying to argue who is right or wrong in the law suit but from past family experience going NCAA is not all what it is cracked up to be. Most throw numbers out there with full riders in mind but the reality is only a small percentage of athletes that are tops in their field get the full rider. Others are offered varying degrees of a paid tuition and most still need to find "room and board" at their costs. It does depend on the school but it plays into how Colleges "recruit" south of the border.
After being offered a number of options NCAA it was still more cost effective for my family member to play/go to school north of the border. And I'm comfortable they got a good education.
Always a good idea to explore options but watch out for the "hype".

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not trying to argue who is right or wrong in the law suit but from past family experience going NCAA is not all what it is cracked up to be. Most throw numbers out there with full riders in mind but the reality is only a small percentage of athletes that are tops in their field get the full rider. Others are offered varying degrees of a paid tuition and most still need to find "room and board" at their costs. It does depend on the school but it plays into how Colleges "recruit" south of the border.
After being offered a number of options NCAA it was still more cost effective for my family member to play/go to school north of the border. And I'm comfortable they got a good education.
Always a good idea to explore options but watch out for the "hype".

I'm not entirely sure how many get full riders but a lot of schools the scholarship limit in hockey is 18. Yes programs carry 25 guys but still at 18 scholarships I would be surprised if less than half have a full ride. Also schools will pay for their past athletes that left early to get their degree just recently guys like Krug/Kreider/Komisarek got their degrees.

I am not criticizing the universities in Ontario/Canada but in regards to the CHL their education packages are pretty meager compared to that of the NCAA. The fact players in this league don't have to attend school once they graduate high school tells me a lot.

Yes this will be covered by insurance but it doesn't change teams were crying poor but at the same time not paying out education packages. How much does the CHL value education when teams and leagues were defaulting on those??

Since 2009 NCAA hockey players have a 92% graduation rate I'm not sure that would be hype those are numbers that are backed by APR. Schools have to be above a certain threshold in order for players to be eligible and schools not to face sanctions. I'm not pretending to believe other sports are just assembly lines in the NCAA but hockey is far from an assembly line. Hockey has the highest % of graduates out of every mens D1 sport.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Though what happened to him was bad.
Is his name going to pop up every few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->