Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
I don't like retiring numbers in the first place, taking the jersey out of circulation has never made much sense overall. I prefer the alternative of actually honoring the jersey. That player can still get their night of the jersey being honored but future players still get the ppportunity of wearing that jersey.

But I think that you aren't getting my point. What did Kane do in the OHL to deserve this honour? Don't get me wrong, he had a great season and has had a great NHL career but I'm not sure that his career in the OHL is worthy of this.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
But I think that you aren't getting my point. What did Kane do in the OHL to deserve this honour? Don't get me wrong, he had a great season and has had a great NHL career but I'm not sure that his career in the OHL is worthy of this.

It's up to London to decide whether they deem what he did in the OHL acceptable of retiring his number. His numbers were out of this world and you can make the case he opened the door for a wave of NTDP guys coming to the CHL. There were a few here and there before him but after him more have certainly come this year. Like I said I probably wouldn't retire his number but you also brought up Luke Boka and he is a mere footnote. Those two were apples and oranges the only two things they have in common is playing in the OHL and being american citizens.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It's up to London to decide whether they deem what he did in the OHL acceptable of retiring his number. His numbers were out of this world and you can make the case he opened the door for a wave of NTDP guys coming to the CHL. There were a few here and there before him but after him more have certainly come this year. Like I said I probably wouldn't retire his number but you also brought up Luke Boka and he is a mere footnote. Those two were apples and oranges the only two things they have in common is playing in the OHL and being american citizens.

True

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The best thing I like about the prospects game is how evenly distributed the talent is on both sides. Hopefully it's an eye opener to many players as they play against a entire team that is just as good as themselves. Even some of the highest rated players just look average. Reality check that to make it to the next level is going to be difficult to say the least.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Former sixth-round pick (2018) Christian Stevens has signed with the NB Battalion. Windsor dealt him to Niagara, who then dealt him to NB.
It appears Stevens should play the 1 game qualifier that Spits received for Stevens from Niagara... In return, the Spitfires received a conditional 15th-round draft pick in 2023 that turns into a sixth-round pick in 2022 if Stevens plays one game for Niagara.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It appears Stevens should play the 1 game qualifier that Spits received for Stevens from Niagara... In return, the Spitfires received a conditional 15th-round draft pick in 2023 that turns into a sixth-round pick in 2022 if Stevens plays one game for Niagara.

Hot something for nothing i guess.
Not a highly good player.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
If the qualifier is he plays one game for Niagara, then it wouldn't happen.
Certainly he won’t play 1 game for Niagara. Doubt very much Niagara could get away without paying the piper. Wee Davie wouldn’t allow that. BTW part of the deal saw NBay send a 6th round pick to Niagara...

member 71782

Christian Stevens trade

2019-06-28WSRChristian StevensTONIANIA 15TH 2023 (COND)https://niagaraicedogs.net/article/icedogs-acquire-rights-to-christian-stevens-from-spitfires
https://ontariohockeyleague.com/media-notes/
https://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/spitfires-trade-prospect-stevens-to-icedogs-for-conditional-draft-pick
Conditions:
> (per The Windsor Star website) In return, the Spitfires received a conditional 15th-round draft pick in 2023 that turns into a sixth-round pick in 2022 if Stevens plays one game for Niagara.
> No announcement on WSR website.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Apparently Windsor will get that 6th rounder according to Parker back on Jan 10th.

The only deal Friday with a connection with the Spitfires was Niagara dealing the rights to Christian Stevens and two picks to North Bay for Cameron Peters and a draft pick. Windsor traded the rights to Stevens, who has a verbal commitment to UMass Amherst for 2021-22, to Niagara last year for conditional sixth-round pick in 2022. The Spitfires will get that pick if Stevens reports to North Bay.

Reactions: punch1943 and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Oshawa in Owen Sound was just cancelled; not exactly a place you want to be in this kind of weather, either. I know that from experience haha (OS is fun, though!)

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Long debate on the London board as well. Totally agree with you but I think it was Mark Hunter in an article laid out the requirements in their minds for retirement of a jersey and a players NHL career is a major factor in their minds. Also they own the team so in their defence it’s their call. Totally agree with Razor these ceremonies are out of control all it is to me normally is a delay to the start of the game.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Will a lot of fans show up?

Without getting into the usual "nobody showed up again, what a surprise!" pointless banter... I wouldn't be surprised if this game has a lower crowd. The snow was ugly last night and the city isn't really cleared up. Probably not the best weather to go out and about in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad