Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

I would think later this afternoon/early evening. With a number of non traditional markets likely contending there's going to be some talks with players to ensure no deals go off the rails after they've been leaked but not officially announced. All leaks right now seem to still involve multiple bidders.

Maybe a non Team Canada player goes early but I doubt it unless it's a minor deal.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Reading around, looks like both Kitchener media and OHLInsiders believe Bowler is undecided on which direction to go. Kitchener says "stand pat", which they don't necessarily agree with. Gotta make up the mind at some point.

member 71782

Reading around, looks like both Kitchener media and OHLInsiders believe Bowler is undecided on which direction to go. Kitchener says "stand pat", which they don't necessarily agree with. Gotta make up the mind at some point.

Is that Kitchener saying Bowler should stand pat?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Is that Kitchener saying Bowler should stand pat?

Yes, sorry, mind isn't the clearest right now. OHLInsiders said Bowler is not sure which direction to go; Rangers' media says Bowler is looking to stand pat, but is that the best decision given place in standings?

member 71782

Yes, sorry, mind isn't the clearest right now. OHLInsiders said Bowler is not sure which direction to go; Rangers' media says Bowler is looking to stand pat, but is that the best decision given place in standings?

Not the best decision IMO. Pick a direction and follow through. Kitchener and Ottawa are probably the top two trading partners for Windsor in a sell situation, at least from Kitchener and Ottawa's perspective. For Windsor the return could be a bit questionable but not horrible.

In a buy situation neither would work since both are likely adding depth instead of top tier talent. Ottawa may add one big piece but mainly second/third line depth and a solid middle pairing D that can play big minutes and in all situations.

One stop shopping for both in Windsor and both could provide secondary deals in the off season as well.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's one thing I fear - "hmmm"ing until it's too late, then going "the prices just weren't what we hoped for." No, pick a plan and stick with it.

member 71782

That's one thing I fear - "hmmm"ing until it's too late, then going "the prices just weren't what we hoped for." No, pick a plan and stick with it.

While Bowler hasn't made up his mind the same teams that would have interest in Windsor's players would also have interest in the same players Windsor would if they're buying.

Bowler may be playing a game of chicken, holding firm on his price as a potential seller while keeping prices up as a potential buyer against those same teams.

He can justify going either way but he has to fully commit whichever way he goes IMO. He can't jeopardize the future for a couple of smaller deals then watch others pass him by.

Would like to see him throw a wrench in things and pull off the first significant deal one way or the other. He's a first time GM so it makes me nervous but would rather see him be bold than sit back and wait for the market to dictate his moves.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
what do you expect from a rookie gm who probably at the beginning of the season wouldn't have believed he would be put in this kind of a spotlight. the worse type of GM is someone who is just going to sit on the fence, he needs to make the decision quickly on the direction and go with that plan. I wonder how much his hands are tied with the potential new owners. he may not even be able to do the things he really wants to do.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
what do you expect from a rookie gm who probably at the beginning of the season wouldn't have believed he would be put in this kind of a spotlight. the worse type of GM is someone who is just going to sit on the fence, he needs to make the decision quickly on the direction and go with that plan. I wonder how much his hands are tied with the potential new owners. he may not even be able to do the things he really wants to do.
I doubt there are potential new owners. And we don’t know that he hasn’t already made a decision on what he is doing. His plan could be to see what everyone else does and make his moves accordingly.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I doubt there are potential new owners. And we don’t know that he hasn’t already made a decision on what he is doing. His plan could be to see what everyone else does and make his moves accordingly.

Wouldn't that be considered letting others dictate what you're going to do? I get it some like to play that game but that would be really boring letting someone else dictate who you're going to manage your team.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario

it's best to be out in front at the deadline so you can be the trend setter, if you wait to long you will lose your targets and the prices will be more than ur willing to pay

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
it's best to be out in front at the deadline so you can be the trend setter, if you wait to long you will lose your targets and the prices will be more than ur willing to pay
I’m just thinking that GMs probably know what teams are thinking about doing. I think he in tough spot. Not a ton of assets to move and if he goes big and it doesn’t get results this year and hurts the team for next couple of years then it won’t look good. Especially after he said he want to build a sustainable winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad