Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Yeah, the Porco deal was kind of along my lines of thinking.

Say, for instance, this with Mississauga:

To Windsor: Harley, Washkurak
To Miss: Robinson, Purboo, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th.

Harley is more than depth, I realize, but he's the guy you'd want. I don't know that they have another D that fits our needs. Washkurak is the depth guy up front, replacing Purboo. Both should be back next season. Robinson gives them a young D to replace Harley, while Purboo gets closer to home, giving them more leadership. The picks can be adjusted.

Well go big.

Harley is probably the top D if he's available. He'll probably cost more alone, minus Purboo. Harley might be 50/50 to return, he's OHL or NHL.

Washkurak would probably come a bit cheaper than Porco. He's an 01 so no need to replace Purboo plus Missy already has three OAs so I doubt they want him.

Missy is currently adding 01s/02s/03s if they can as well so beyond moving Harley I doubt they move any others.

Even if Windsor were adding it likely costs much more than that.

My guess, replace Purboo with Johnston and add another 2ND and 3RD to go along with what else you have.

Reactions: windsor7 and OHLTG

member 71782

Faub I’ll tell what I can and I’m not saying it’s fact but I trust the source. After the summers fiasco and the deal turned around it left Savage holding the bag. This group, Headed by at least 2 ex nhlers expressed interest but wanted no part of jumping in behind what had happened. Was told the group has scouts and front office people ready to go and who are in fact already scouting etc. Believe the deal is close but still not signed. We know Savage wants out, we know they have cut scouts and staff to the bare minimum, we know the team is running a closed wallet, we know the coaching staff is on a season end contract. BB is very raw not likely ready for a mem cup run. There’s a ton of circumstantial evidence but who knows. Is BB vetting moves thru these guys?? Is it why Savage is invisible? Is it why we’re not hearing anything? I’m hoping yes and it happens!! That’s as much as I can say. You’ll know the names if it happens.

Thanks.

Like I was saying, only an opinion if something is close it affects the direction they take.

The scouting cuts and no replacements makes sense if something is "close". Can't see the current group making the same mistakes again.

Some name guys would do a lot to generate excitement from the fans again. Everything has an expiry date so while Rychel and company had their moment the org changes the last couple of years didn't go well and it all came to a head this past spring/summer.

I just hope if this comes to pass we see a similar approach to what we saw with Rychel and company, a fresh start. I know my thoughts on this season aren't the most popular, understandably so but I just approach it from how I would want to do things in that position, fresh start with the bigger roster changes made, youth added and cupboards stocked.

Obviously nothing is final until the BoG says it is but beyond something falling apart between who's there now and who's potentially coming in I don't see a BoG problem with it so I would guess if they're doing their own scouting, Savages aren't spending then it's probably down to the formalities which won't be finished off until the season is over.

We'll see how it goes, hopefully a group ready to make a commitment to the future and not just the short term.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Well go big.

Harley is probably the top D if he's available. He'll probably cost more alone, minus Purboo. Harley might be 50/50 to return, he's OHL or NHL.

Washkurak would probably come a bit cheaper than Porco. He's an 01 so no need to replace Purboo plus Missy already has three OAs so I doubt they want him.

Missy is currently adding 01s/02s/03s if they can as well so beyond moving Harley I doubt they move any others.

Even if Windsor were adding it likely costs much more than that.

My guess, replace Purboo with Johnston and add another 2ND and 3RD to go along with what else you have.

Johnston is a weird situation for me. I like the potential with Foudy/Cuylle but haven't seen enough to make me think "yeah, we need to keep him." I hope TL keeps that trio together for a bit to at least see what we have.

I only incl. Purboo to give them a hometown kid (I think he's from Oakville?).

member 71782

Johnston is a weird situation for me. I like the potential with Foudy/Cuylle but haven't seen enough to make me think "yeah, we need to keep him." I hope TL keeps that trio together for a bit to at least see what we have.

I can see why you include Purboo but it would be a move that takes away from Windsor offensively while adding higher talent. For Missy he does nothing for them when they are adding youth and have three OAs.

With my thoughts that Windsor should be getting younger I would keep Johnston. Now if there's a two year player that helps now and next year it makes sense to include him but as you know the picks drain the cupboards a fair bit which makes it difficult to take advantage of a top 01.

I don't include Robinson in any deal. He'll have some ups and downs this year but next year he's a major part of whatever they do. He becomes a hole that has to be filled next year if he were moved.

The only other way I would move Johnston is if they were trying to get a higher end 03. It would have to be a deal where they were moving vets out. None of them would return someone's first but Johnston being a first rounder could help that cause. Johnston, plus, plus for someone else's first rounder, plus, plus, plus.

I think getting Johnston first with Cuylle/Foudy then Afanasyev/Foudy gives him a confidence boost. He's looked good with Zito/Maggio/McDonald but Playfair slowed them all down. Now with more experienced players, the icetime that goes with it he'll start to come along heading towards the second half.

The kids are the future and that's where they should be putting their resources, deepening that pool.

Reactions: OHLTG

member 71782

Would Windsor get an OA back?

In the Missy deal you suggested?

Probably but it would be a down grade in terms of production so it still defeats the purpose of adding someone like Harley.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Thanks.

Like I was saying, only an opinion if something is close it affects the direction they take.

The scouting cuts and no replacements makes sense if something is "close". Can't see the current group making the same mistakes again.

Some name guys would do a lot to generate excitement from the fans again. Everything has an expiry date so while Rychel and company had their moment the org changes the last couple of years didn't go well and it all came to a head this past spring/summer.

I just hope if this comes to pass we see a similar approach to what we saw with Rychel and company, a fresh start. I know my thoughts on this season aren't the most popular, understandably so but I just approach it from how I would want to do things in that position, fresh start with the bigger roster changes made, youth added and cupboards stocked.

Obviously nothing is final until the BoG says it is but beyond something falling apart between who's there now and who's potentially coming in I don't see a BoG problem with it so I would guess if they're doing their own scouting, Savages aren't spending then it's probably down to the formalities which won't be finished off until the season is over.

We'll see how it goes, hopefully a group ready to make a commitment to the future and not just the short term.

New faces would be nice.
However if its just for a quick buck n then sell quick again, im not a fan of that.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Maybe if he had more ice time to show his skills......

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Ex-NHLers would likely have played for the Spits or be from Windsor and have around $12M to burn, or have outside backing and they're the face of the group. Probably late 30's early 40's types as well, potentially having a son that is highly thought of prospect around 14 yrs old. B2B team is still too young - players with that kind of money are still playing.

What is Jovanovski up to these days?

member 71782

Ex-NHLers would likely have played for the Spits or be from Windsor and have around $12M to burn, or have outside backing and they're the face of the group. Probably late 30's early 40's types as well, potentially having a son that is highly thought of prospect around 14 yrs old. B2B team is still too young - players with that kind of money are still playing.

What is Jovanovski up to these days?

Anything is possible but one thing that was rumoured a while ago was there was a group that had been exploring both Windsor and Niagara as potential targets for purchase. Not sure if this would be related or not but if it were then potentially not a group connected to Windsor currently or historically in any way.

We'll see what happens going forward.

member 71782

The group that was looking to buy Niagara was Dudley, Ludzik, and a guy named McShane.

Is that who it was? I have no idea and of course past possibilities don't necessarily align with current ones.

Anything is possible I just remembered hearing/reading about a group that was looking at both but I'm sure there's always multiple groups that could be exploring in different markets at anytime.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

member 71782

That's the group I found mentioned on Twitter as recently as late Spring.

That's fine. I have no knowledge myself it's just the different things I've read or heard, didn't remember any names.

If something happens we'll know then. I don't mind hearing about the rumours/speculation but don't really worry about who until it becomes more concrete or an appropriate time.

Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad