2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Apologies in advance if this question is not in the right place. For the 08's that were not selected, would it be better to go the U18AAA route, or Jr. C? (by better, I mean, more potential to grow their game + more visibility from scouts) I imagine it varies from area to area, but I've heard that U18AAA could have more skilled players, even though Jr. C is higher up in the order of leagues.
whats your goal? how many skaters from jrc make the ohl or ncaa? i cant think of one for the last 15 years. brouchu and bender have, but questions still on bender

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
When we talk about Junior C, what are we talking about? This is my understanding of the leagues:
Major Junior - CHL
Junior A - BCHL (BC), OJHL, CCHL, NOJHL, SIJHL, SJHL (SK), AJHL (AB)
Junior B - GOJHL, EOJHL
?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
When we talk about Junior C, what are we talking about? This is my understanding of the leagues:
Major Junior - CHL
Junior B - GOJHL, EOJHL
?
PJHL - Junior C league across southern Ontario. Locally here include teams like Kingsville, Bell River, Essex. Just another tier of junior hockey. Feeder league for Junior B teams.

Reactions: HockeyPops

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
And it's not even the Petes social media.

Came from Oke Hockey.

Yes I know who runs the camp.
so hes just pumping the tires of his camp saying look you can come skate with all these ohl draft picks

Major Junior - CHL
Junior B - GOJHL, EOJHL
?
the fact that you dont know about it shows where it stands in the grand scheme of things. the leagues mvp last year scored a goal a game in jr c, 4 goals in the oj this year.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
so hes just pumping the tires of his camp saying look you can come skate with all these ohl draft picks
100%

No better advertising than that.

Major Junior - CHL
Junior B - GOJHL, EOJHL
?
Biggest Jr. C league is Ontario is the PJHL.

It's where dreams go to die.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Apologies in advance if this question is not in the right place. For the 08's that were not selected, would it be better to go the U18AAA route, or Jr. C? (by better, I mean, more potential to grow their game + more visibility from scouts) I imagine it varies from area to area, but I've heard that U18AAA could have more skilled players, even though Jr. C is higher up in the order of leagues.
Compare the stats of players who have made it out of the U18AAA draft vs. Players who played Jr. C in the last 7 years. There's also players who I'm sure played U18AAA and made it further than Jr. C players of the same age.

Scouts (at the OHL level) consider U18AAA better than Jr. C. However, an argument can be made for Jr. C vs. U18AAA (Outside of the GTA), that the PJCHL is better in some areas.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I know that Michael Hage attended the Rangers rookie camp in 2022 and went USHL and NCAA, but Alexander Hage is on this weekends Petes development camp roster and is currently attending. No Fitzgerald

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I know that Michael Hage attended the Rangers rookie camp in 2022 and went USHL and NCAA, but Alexander Hage is on this weekends Petes development camp roster and is currently attending. No Fitzgerald
ya hes not good enough to play in either the ushl or bchl. im not sure hes ready for the ohl to be honest. he played the tender card but didnt get any bites from those leagues.

Or where kids want to play hockey for fun because they like to play and want to continue with little or no pressure other than school work.
some good jr b players made a decent secondary income too. guys drop down from jr b and pocket 5/10k under the table.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
ya hes not good enough to play in either the ushl or bchl. im not sure hes ready for the ohl to be honest. he played the tender card but didnt get any bites from those leagues.
So knowing that, do you think there is a chance he actually signs with the Petes then especially if no other teams bit?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
So knowing that, do you think there is a chance he actually signs with the Petes then especially if no other teams bit?
i dont right now, im sure hes just testing the waters. i bet he goes prep school, its an easy out for him to say he went to school without having to admit that he got no other offers.

that said, i guess you'll have to ask is it worth what he thinks he deserves from a 1st round package. they have 4 already, need to hold one for fitzgerald as a 5th. that leaves 2 more over the next 2 years.
one for each 09 and 10, if you sign hage you probably cant sign fitzgerald if he wants to come in December.

for me he isnt worth the lack of flexibility he brings, i really dont think hes worth the twitter hype, lots of good, not great skill but small and not the most aggressive. for me theres a reason he coudlnt get a tender. petes will try to sign him as they sign everyone, they wanted to sign that 05 goalie quizi last year, why woudlnt they try to sign him.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
i dont right now, im sure hes just testing the waters. i bet he goes prep school, its an easy out for him to say he went to school without having to admit that he got no other offers.

that said, i guess you'll have to ask is it worth what he thinks he deserves from a 1st round package. they have 4 already, need to hold one for fitzgerald as a 5th. that leaves 2 more over the next 2 years.
one for each 09 and 10, if you sign hage you probably cant sign fitzgerald if he wants to come in December.

for me he isnt worth the lack of flexibility he brings, i really dont think hes worth the twitter hype, lots of good, not great skill but small and not the most aggressive. for me theres a reason he coudlnt get a tender. petes will try to sign him as they sign everyone, they wanted to sign that 05 goalie quizi last year, why woudlnt they try to sign him.
Thank you for the response! gonna be interesting to see what happens in the end after not just this weekend but over the next few months

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

Sorry if you’ve answered this already. I’ve been looking to see the rules for maximum amount of first round packages allowed on a roster. The max is 6? And the number doesn’t change if you trade for one over signing one through the draft?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It's 7 and if you trade the player you can keep or trade the package.
Sorry if you’ve answered this already. I’ve been looking to see the rules for maximum amount of first round packages allowed on a roster. The max is 6? And the number doesn’t change if you trade for one over signing one through the draft?
correct its 7, the petes have 4 2007s, so 3 for the 08/09/10. i really really really would not use one on hage, i dont think the hockey community thinks hes as good as the one guy from puck preps who put him top 5.

Reactions: Section5Petes

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Do gold packages get nullified as soon as nhl contract is signed?

Does it still count as one of the seven if the player is in their OA year?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
But who pays for his school?

Even if the gold package was still active, I think he has to start school within 18 months of leaving the OHL which he did not do.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Even if the gold package was still active, I think he has to start school within 18 months of leaving the OHL which he did not do.

As soon as a player signs an NHL contract, the player forfeits his scholarship.

It is also important to note that players have 18 months “after their OA season regardless of whether they play an OA year or not.” This means if a player signs an AHL contract after their 19 year old season, they get 30 months to enrol and access their scholarship.

Additionally, if you sign an AHL contract and want to enrol in some form of online or distance education while playing Pro hockey, you can do so and your scholarship is eligible to be accessed.

I don’t know this as FACT but my assumption is if you have a 1st rounder (Full) package and you sign an NHL Contract, you forfeit your package and it frees up the package for another player.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Zach Gallant was a first round pick and signed with the Sharks but is now in school after a short professional stint in the AHL/ECHL.
it is fullified if he signs an NHL entry level contract. depending on where he went, i wouldnt be shocked if he still got a free ride from the Usports school.

i would bet the school just gave him a great deal and covered all costs.

they fall off after you start your oa year. the 4 2007s stay on the books for 3 more years in peterborough or until they sign a pro deal.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
it is fullified if he signs an NHL entry level contract. depending on where he went, i wouldnt be shocked if he still got a free ride from the Usports school.

i would bet the school just gave him a great deal and covered all costs.

they fall off after you start your oa year. the 4 2007s stay on the books for 3 more years in peterborough or until they sign a pro deal.
Just to confirm because it wasn’t fully clear…

If a 1st round pick has a Full Ride Package and they play an OA season, the team doesn’t count that full Ride package as part of their allotted seven packages? So, a team could have seven packages handed out plus have three OA’s all with packages for a total of ten (theoretically)?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yes, that's my understanding.

Plus they could have a couple players (19 year olds) who signed NHL deals so their package got nullified. Plus they could have traded for a couple of players but paid more not to take their packages on.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes, that's my understanding.

Plus they could have a couple players (19 year olds) who signed NHL deals so their package got nullified. Plus they could have traded for a couple of players but paid more not to take their packages on.
I was aware of the other caveats but I was not aware the OA’s didn’t count towards the total packages. That means every OA could negotiate the full ride scholarship to return as an OA and it would not affect their teams package allotment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad