Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

You're going to annoy the fans no matter what you do in that case. If Bowler moves the talents out now, in order to stock the cupboard for the next in line, fans will be irritated because the team is doing well this season. At least if the new guys come in, it's after any run this season and there's a little justification for dealing those who may not return.
When Rychel took over, he moved a bunch of guys out and there wasn't much backlash. It seemed to have worked for the better, too.
Don't get me wrong - I understand the idea of moving forward now, but it's not a concept that I'd do if I was GM. The new guys will likely be scrutinized by the fans no matter what they do.
Rychel and company came in with a much bigger mess to clean up. It wasn't simply about moving a few players it was about resetting the franchise in terms of the mess that was created.
I know you're desperate to see any sort of run but they're not in a position to make one this year. It would be an attempt at the current group saving face and that's about it. So far I don't think they've done a great job at that yet and if they basically stand pat it doesn't help this team now or going forward.
For a new group, if that's how things go it's better to have fans irritated with the old group than with them. The team is better off if the old group looks like the bad guys than the new one, it's easier to be the hero than the villain when you're starting out and when Rychel and company come in after all that went on they were the heros with local ties, name recognition and a background in the sport at a professional level to back it up.

Reactions: windsor7

member 71782

I'm not saying make a run this year. What I'm saying is don't sell off all the assets, esp given where we are.

All I've said is you move out those with the potential to graduate at a time when you can max out their value.

The OAs don't have much value and are not likely to be moved IMO.

If you hold onto to the others who have decent or greater value for a potential run next year where are they getting the assets for next year to make a run? I've said it before, they'll have about three or four seconds and a couple of late thirds going into next year after the draft. IF any of those players graduate that's another vet that needs to be added and upgraded for a run next year. Some may feel this roster, another year older and a bit more experienced may be in a better position to compete, and they would be if they had the assets to support it. Being a host year the costs to upgrade will be through the roof. If they don't have the assets this year with this roster how do they add with fewer assets next year at a higher cost?

A lot likely hinges on any potential sale and as I've said, this time if that's on the table this group has to get it right. If it's close enough to work with a new group on how to proceed I would imagine we see a sell off. If it's not then anything is possible but the current group has to retain control and follow their plan, whatever it may be through as if it's not part of the equation.

You don't want to make a run, you don't want to sell. You want to hold on, hope they get to the second round and hopefully next year they suddenly have the assets out of nowhere to try to contend without having any way to acquire them.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
All I've said is you move out those with the potential to graduate at a time when you can max out their value.

The OAs don't have much value and are not likely to be moved IMO.

If you hold onto to the others who have decent or greater value for a potential run next year where are they getting the assets for next year to make a run? I've said it before, they'll have about three or four seconds and a couple of late thirds going into next year after the draft. IF any of those players graduate that's another vet that needs to be added and upgraded for a run next year. Some may feel this roster, another year older and a bit more experienced may be in a better position to compete, and they would be if they had the assets to support it. Being a host year the costs to upgrade will be through the roof. If they don't have the assets this year with this roster how do they add with fewer assets next year at a higher cost?

A lot likely hinges on any potential sale and as I've said, this time if that's on the table this group has to get it right. If it's close enough to work with a new group on how to proceed I would imagine we see a sell off. If it's not then anything is possible but the current group has to retain control and follow their plan, whatever it may be through as if it's not part of the equation.

You don't want to make a run, you don't want to sell. You want to hold on, hope they get to the second round and hopefully next year they suddenly have the assets out of nowhere to try to contend without having any way to acquire them.

Cant be wrong thst way.....

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I want to see a depth addition or two. We have the picks to get a fair bit done next season.

member 71782

I want to see a depth addition or two. We have the picks to get a fair bit done next season.

After the draft we will have 5x 2NDs, 3x 3RDs, 5x 4THs.

Now I don't know what you mean by depth addition since you've suggested some pretty solid acquisitions that'll cost a nice chunk of those picks plus a player. If you're talking along the lines of Tucker as was discussed the other day, a couple of 2NDs, a couple of 3RDs and a young player for a player that won't be back next year that'll bring you down a few more picks.

We also have no 3RD, 5TH or 6Th this year so if there's any effort to fill in those holes that'll cost you more picks.

How much do they move for a depth addition? Is it someone who helps them this year? That'll cost a fair amount. If it's just a 4Th line vet, why bother? Won't it potentially disrupt things?

After the draft, a decent addition that adds to the talent level you're probably left with two to four 2NDs, a 3RD, maybe two and four or five 4THs. If next year is supposed to be a big year, which is why they would keep these vets then you're looking at adding probably three or four solid additions, a couple of top six and top four D.

Maybe I'm completely clueless. In a host year when costs will be through the roof, needing three or four high end additions minimal with only a few 2NDs, maybe a couple of 3RDs and a few 4THs you can get all that done? Sure there will be youth to trade away as well but that'll help going forward when they have no depth and no assets to start the next rebuild.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You don't need a fourth line vet, but someone who will be around for a couple of seasons without breaking the bank. IF Tucker was back next season, he would have been an option for a reasonable price. This might be the first time in several seasons where we're truly on the fence about what to do.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You don't need a fourth line vet, but someone who will be around for a couple of seasons without breaking the bank. IF Tucker was back next season, he would have been an option for a reasonable price. This might be the first time in several seasons where we're truly on the fence about what to do.

Well that is dangerous. And a gm who is wet behind the ears.
If they dont do it right they will put themselves behind again for a few years again.

member 71782

They need an affordable option but an affordable option probably doesn't do much to improve their fortunes this year. They're a good team playing better than expected without the assets to add significantly to put them over the top this year or even really change how they finish this year and any additions will come at the expense of next year.

A two year add would be great, that's the type of addition they need but do they have the assets to do it while still having the assets next year to add the remaining pieces?

You think a few assets left over is enough I think it's not even close.

Anyone moved out this year needs to be replaced with someone who's an upgrade and anyone who graduates needs to be replaced, preferably with an upgrade for next year. If they suddenly get an influx of flyers reporting that would certainly make things much more promising but are you betting on that happening when it hasn't been for a while now?

Everyone is hoping that this team can pull it together soon and become relevant again but a half ass one shot deal without enough to get it done isn't going to do that.

member 71782

With Tovell signed does anyone see him getting any starts?

Before the break they have three in four this weekend

vs Saginaw
at Guelph
vs London

Next weekend two in two

vs Mississauga
at Sarnia

After the break if Piiroinen isn't back, don't think he will be they have a busier schedule

Starts with a three in four

at Saginaw
at Flint
vs Flint

Then a three in three northern road trip

at Soo
at Sudbury
at North Bay

Medina will be busy and I see him starting all the games with possibly North Bay being the only exception. You don't want to start a kid at the end of a three in three for his first game but if North Bay is still struggling it may be the only chance to give Medina a break without throwing Tovell into the fire to have to learn real quick just how much of a jump from JR C to Major JR can be.

Will be an interesting time.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
As far as Tovell goes, I see him getting one home start at some point. I'm not against doing it sooner, so he's not sitting and wondering. Mississauga might be the best option since this weekend doesn't really provide any somewhat easier matches.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Don't half ass it, of course, but don't risk the current success while hoping next season is better, either.

What does this mean?
They have to either sell buy or stand pat. Or maybe the organization is confused also.

member 71782

Don't half ass it, of course, but don't risk the current success while hoping next season is better, either.

Between having to move assets/use them at the draft, still needing a couple of significant additions and the potential for any surprise graduations I don't see them in much better shape next year either. Anything can happen and maybe they have a solid idea that a major piece or two won't be coming back and make that move to add a few assets for next year or spend all they got this year. Either way I don't think it changes their fortunes much.

Standing pat with a couple of depth additions doesn't do anything for this year while taking away from next year. Going all in this year with no depth committed and emptying the cupboards hurts them for years to come. Standing pat/depth addition is half assing it IMO. They can't go part way and they can't do nothing.

member 71782

As far as Tovell goes, I see him getting one home start at some point. I'm not against doing it sooner, so he's not sitting and wondering. Mississauga might be the best option since this weekend doesn't really provide any somewhat easier matches.

Mississauga could be a good chance to give him a start. They should be missing Harley so that'll help. They've had their struggles at times as well but they've also already had a victory over Windsor too. I would like to see what the kid can do, how he responds. My only concern is Letowski willing to give him a shot when every point counts right now and they need to take advantage of every chance they have to get them while other teams have players away.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Standing pat with a couple of depth additions doesn't do anything for this year while taking away from next year. Going all in this year with no depth committed and emptying the cupboards hurts them for years to come. Standing pat/depth addition is half assing it IMO. They can't go part way and they can't do nothing.

See, I disagree. I don't think adding a few minor pieces is half-assing it. You know the talent is there now, along with the picks and the youth. The options shouldn't be going for it and risking next season, OR, selling and risking this season. Add a couple of pieces at a price that doesn't mortgage the future and push forward. We know they've got the talent so use it.

My fear with Tovell is that he starts in Guelph and gets lit up, ala Brock Baier. Or, they go the other route and drive Medina to complete fatigue and he starts to falter.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
See, I disagree. I don't think adding a few minor pieces is half-assing it. You know the talent is there now, along with the picks and the youth. The options shouldn't be going for it and risking next season, OR, selling and risking this season. Add a couple of pieces at a price that doesn't mortgage the future and push forward. We know they've got the talent so use it.

They don't have enough picks.
Be nice to see more of the youths play but trevor loves to play the vets
Minor pieces is half assing it.
Sadly i see this route is a great possibility this year taken.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Faub I’ll tell what I can and I’m not saying it’s fact but I trust the source. After the summers fiasco and the deal turned around it left Savage holding the bag. This group, Headed by at least 2 ex nhlers expressed interest but wanted no part of jumping in behind what had happened. Was told the group has scouts and front office people ready to go and who are in fact already scouting etc. Believe the deal is close but still not signed. We know Savage wants out, we know they have cut scouts and staff to the bare minimum, we know the team is running a closed wallet, we know the coaching staff is on a season end contract. BB is very raw not likely ready for a mem cup run. There’s a ton of circumstantial evidence but who knows. Is BB vetting moves thru these guys?? Is it why Savage is invisible? Is it why we’re not hearing anything? I’m hoping yes and it happens!! That’s as much as I can say. You’ll know the names if it happens.

member 71782

My fear with Tovell is that he starts in Guelph and gets lit up, ala Brock Baier. Or, they go the other route and drive Medina to complete fatigue and he starts to falter.

Agree with the Medina/Tovell thoughts. Get him in in the right situation but they can't do to him or Medina what they've done to others either. It's a fine line that they'll need to walk here.

I don't know what type of depth addition you're going to get cheap that'll make a difference this year. If they don't make a difference are they worth adding? I know they have players that would be solid depth players on a contender, they need top end players if they're going to add. The picks are not as plentiful as you think they are. The cupboards aren't empty but they're not overflowing either and all their youth is on the roster, they have no organizational depth at the moment. Prospects and ready to play signed depth are not the same thing.

What are you hoping to add? A D'Amico level player or two? Would you consider someone like Porco a similar type of addition?

2019-10-27SAGNicholas Porco
Ian Lemieux
TOBARDalton Duhart
OSH 2ND 2020
KGN 2ND 2024
SSM 3RD 2021
OS 3RD 2022
BAR 5TH 2023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

A player and five picks for Porco and another depth player potentially. Would that deal change their fortunes this year? I don't think it would but it does get you a two year player but who does Windsor give up in a situation like that?

Do they do two deals like that? A forward and a D?

I know you don't like to define or be specific about what you think they should do but their options aren't the greatest.

Let's not forget, even Bowler seemed surprised that they were doing as well as they are with the caveat that they've had no adversity except for the Stevenson injury. They've had their three game slide, let's see how they respond now that Piiroinen is also gone for a while.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yeah, the Porco deal was kind of along my lines of thinking.

Say, for instance, this with Mississauga:

To Windsor: Harley, Washkurak
To Miss: Robinson, Purboo, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th.

Harley is more than depth, I realize, but he's the guy you'd want. I don't know that they have another D that fits our needs. Washkurak is the depth guy up front, replacing Purboo. Both should be back next season. Robinson gives them a young D to replace Harley, while Purboo gets closer to home, giving them more leadership. The picks can be adjusted.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Faub I’ll tell what I can and I’m not saying it’s fact but I trust the source. After the summers fiasco and the deal turned around it left Savage holding the bag. This group, Headed by at least 2 ex nhlers expressed interest but wanted no part of jumping in behind what had happened. Was told the group has scouts and front office people ready to go and who are in fact already scouting etc. Believe the deal is close but still not signed. We know Savage wants out, we know they have cut scouts and staff to the bare minimum, we know the team is running a closed wallet, we know the coaching staff is on a season end contract. BB is very raw not likely ready for a mem cup run. There’s a ton of circumstantial evidence but who knows. Is BB vetting moves thru these guys?? Is it why Savage is invisible? Is it why we’re not hearing anything? I’m hoping yes and it happens!! That’s as much as I can say. You’ll know the names if it happens.

This intrigues me a whole lot. What's preventing the signing or just waiting until the season is done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad