Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
HM just means they can't rest on their accomplishments. Gotta keep pressing every week. It's one of those "Oh, cool, we're here? Now, how do we stay?" things.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Since I was one of the ones who was "so talkative about it before", I'll jump in here - just got home. Tough to type much on the phone and all.

I think HM is a position they need to be in after the last few weeks. They have the talent to be among the best and they've proven that. But, sometimes you need that challenge to show that it's not going to come easy. This is a reality check. Now, if they want to get back to the top 10 or even top 5, they know how to get there.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
HM just means they can't rest on their accomplishments. Gotta keep pressing every week. It's one of those "Oh, cool, we're here? Now, how do we stay?" things.

It's actually a joke of a top 10. Guelph won the Robertson last year and wasn't on the "CHL top 10" once. They currently sit first in the conference and aren't on the list. Don't take it seriously.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's actually a joke of a top 10. Guelph won the Robertson last year and wasn't on the "CHL top 10" once. They currently sit first in the conference and aren't on the list. Don't take it seriously.

Imagine putting a list together of top 10 teams based on scouts in the W/Q/O. The scouts in the W never see the teams in the Q/O but still put together a top 10 list that includes Q/O teams.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
After last season, I'd rather be on it than looking at it in the distance, but maybe that's just me...

And if windsor isnt on it does it prevent them from winning???
Its just something for sportsnet to drool over.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I’m way more concerned about the results then i am where people think they rank in canada. Just win. That’s all that truly matters isn’t it?
Ya lists are fun but anyone can create them and the rest of us get to critique them. I mean Sanvido just appeared on a top 10 list. Fun to read them but they are only one opinion. Just like the draft lists we keep seeing. The only list that really matters is the final list created as the NHL teams make their picks.

Reactions: TheGremlin

member 71782

The CHL Top 10 is simply a sponsored (revenue generator) marketing tool used to try to gain/maintain fan interest.

It's put together by scouts who each see a couple of games every week with each scout usually covering a specific territory and never seeing even half the teams in their own territory every week, let alone two other leagues.

It's about as relevant and less accurate as the three stars after every game.

Would you think someone choosing the three stars from a Windsor/London game while covering a game between Sudbury/North Bay would make sense?

Probably not but it's about the same, look at the wins a team put together, maybe consider their opponents, possibly the scores and how many stars they have on their roster.

Since most games are not seen how they've played is not much of a consideration.

If a team considered good wins ten in a row against the worst teams in their league they probably make top ten even if its all one goal games.

If four top teams all play each other multiple times over a couple of week and come out with .500 records they probably don't make it.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits dman Thomas Stevenson is set to come back into the lineup, as soon as tonight, question is who sits?
Thought Joe Rupoli played his best game as a Spit at Saginaw last night.
Myself I would put Rupoli upfront with Playfair and McDonald, take Maggio out and see how it goes.
With McDonald 6'5" and Rupoli 6'4",and Playfair 6'1", it could be a heavy line to play against,something that has had success against Saginaw the last 2 games,Windsor playing a heavy game.

Last edited:

member 71782

Spits dman Thomas Stevenson is set to come back into the lineup, as soon as tonight, question is who sits?
Thought Joe Rupoli played his best game as a Spit at Saginaw last night.
Myself I would put Rupoli upfront with Playfair and McDonald, take Maggio out and see how it goes.

They already have Zito sitting so I wouldn't add Maggio to that list.

Rupoli came in to be the 7th D, he's done a decent job with minimal expectations but I don't think he would fit well with our current forward set up.

Playfair sat one game and I think he should have sat for a couple more to give the kids multiple games to get going together as a set line.

Rupoli and Playfair out, the kids have earned the playing time. Use them as needed to give Maggio/Zito or even Johnston a night off once in a while but as of now Rupoli is the seventh D and Playfair is the thirteenth forward IMO.

Reactions: TheGremlin

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Rupoli came in to be the 7th D, he's done a decent job with minimal expectations but I don't think he would fit well with our current forward set up.

Playfair sat one game and I think he should have sat for a couple more to give the kids multiple games to get going together as a set line.

Rupoli and Playfair out, the kids have earned the playing time. Use them as needed to give Maggio/Zito or even Johnston a night off once in a while but as of now Rupoli is the seventh D and Playfair is the thirteenth forward IMO.

Dont see it happening as it relates to Playfair,he and his line played well that night, especially he and McDonald as well the PK didn't allow a goal against 6 opps,and allowed 2 goals to Kitchener the game before with him out.

member 71782

Dont see it happening as it relates to Playfair,he and his line played well that night, especially he and McDonald as well the PK didn't allow a goal against 6 opps,and allowed 2 goals to Kitchener the game before with him out.

While I don't see it happening it's what I think should happen.

Playfair has been passed by the kids, he actually is the weak link on the fourth line most nights and has slowed the kids down compared to the start of the season when it was only the kids rotating through that line.

Playfair is solid on the PK but after that all he brings is being a 19 year old that wears a letter. His time is better served going to the kids at this point with him rotating in as needed to give the kids a break once in a while.

He doesn't bring enough every game to justify playing every game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Cfaub

You know and I know that vets get far more leeway then the kids,and those same kids will get the same leeway next year and beyond, especially when 18-20 years old,and said players know that.
If team were struggling I could be swayed more,but overall see no reason to make those changes.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Simple. You dress the best players every game based on the play in the previous game. I'm all for competition for ice. However it must be the vision of the coach as well to work. When over half the team is in TL's fan club, there is little chance for that to work properly without creating dressing room cancer. Remember early last season the nights where Douglas, Ladd,Morgan,Starikov, Stevenson sat and others played like crap and never rode the pine. Rupoli was great last game. Robinson has been a little shaky as of late. Playfair with his age and experience should not be struggling as much as he has. I'm all for Rupoli in at forward for Playfair but not sitting youth for the sake of the Letowski veteran factor. The vets have had their chance to shine and if you're not shining by yrs 3- 4, I'm sure that roster spot can be filled. I'm afraid if TL doesn't nip this in the bud we may be stuck with Playfair as an overager next season. Nothing personal just tough decisions need to be made for the right reasons.

member 71782

Cfaub

You know and I know that vets get far more leeway then the kids,and those same kids will get the same leeway next year and beyond, especially when 18-20 years old,and said players know that.
If team were struggling I could be swayed more,but overall see no reason to make those changes.

Yes, we both know that but you know I don't agree with it.

Give the icetime to those who are earning it.

I would say I don't think there's four teams in the league, outside of Windsor he would have a full time roster spot on at this point. His time is up. He's not playing bad, neither did Garagan when they brought him in but he's not doing anything to justify the playing time either.

He's got 1G/4A/5P and is even this year in 24 games. Career he's 16G/26A/42P and a -20 in 152 games. There comes a time when it's time to either move on or use him in a more appropriate way.

Zito has the same stat line in 17 games. Maggio is 2G/4A/6P +3 in 22 games. They don't see the icetie Playfair does when PK is taken into account and I give full credit to Playfair for his PK time but he doesn't bring anything more than the kids do beyond that and as I said, the kids played better as a unit at the start of the season when Playfair was on the third line in the early going.

You have to ask, where would they be if they weren't playing with Playfair at this point in time, without all the line shuffling they've gone through to keep Playfair in the line up full time.

He's 19, wears a letter and that'll keep him in the line up and I would argue it's costing this team more than it's helping this team at this point. Sit him for two or three games then give him a game or two while sitting a kid or move on from him because he's not bringing a whole to that warrants him playing every night.

With him already talking time away from the kids it makes even less sense to add Rupoli to that mix. I think Rupoli could justify moving on from Playfair since he has the flexibility to play forward and D and in a pinch they still have Jodoin in LaSalle to bring up if they every need to cover a forward and a D injury/suspension situation.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015

I would sit Robinson for a game. His play has been a bit erratic lately. Watching a game from the Press Box might get him focused a bit. No more than one game though.

member 71782

I would sit Robinson for a game. His play has been a bit erratic lately. Watching a game from the Press Box might get him focused a bit. No more than one game though.

I can see that and that's why they need to carry a couple of extra players. He's had a stretch of about six games or so where you're not sure what he's going to bring. Overall he's been fine but a few struggles lately, give him a night off to refocus then right back in there.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yes, we both know that but you know I don't agree with it.

Give the icetime to those who are earning it.

I would say I don't think there's four teams in the league, outside of Windsor he would have a full time roster spot on at this point. His time is up. He's not playing bad, neither did Garagan when they brought him in but he's not doing anything to justify the playing time either.

He's got 1G/4A/5P and is even this year in 24 games. Career he's 16G/26A/42P and a -20 in 152 games. There comes a time when it's time to either move on or use him in a more appropriate way.

Zito has the same stat line in 17 games. Maggio is 2G/4A/6P +3 in 22 games. They don't see the icetie Playfair does when PK is taken into account and I give full credit to Playfair for his PK time but he doesn't bring anything more than the kids do beyond that and as I said, the kids played better as a unit at the start of the season when Playfair was on the third line in the early going.

You have to ask, where would they be if they weren't playing with Playfair at this point in time, without all the line shuffling they've gone through to keep Playfair in the line up full time.

He's 19, wears a letter and that'll keep him in the line up and I would argue it's costing this team more than it's helping this team at this point. Sit him for two or three games then give him a game or two while sitting a kid or move on from him because he's not bringing a whole to that warrants him playing every night.

With him already talking time away from the kids it makes even less sense to add Rupoli to that mix. I think Rupoli could justify moving on from Playfair since he has the flexibility to play forward and D and in a pinch they still have Jodoin in LaSalle to bring up if they every need to cover a forward and a D injury/suspension situation.

This is the thing Playfair is extremely inconsequential to the teams success. As you said he wears a letter and kills penalties. He doesn't produce offensively, the penalty kill isn't horrible but it isn't great either. Since the team started out very well you have Letowski believing that they can't switch things up because..... Correlation doesn't imply causation. For the same reason Boka being one of the first forwards over the boards when down a goal. Why?? Since he has 9 goals?? Nevermind 1 goal in 10-11 games or that 3 goals came in one game. As for Playfair unfortunately they haven't found a single player that can push him out of the lineup??? He's a fringe player and they can't find a fringe guy or much better guy to push him out??? It's real easy to keep him around because he wears a letter it's much harder to make real decisions for the betterment of the franchise. The weird part is it wouldn't even be a tough decision to make.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
This is the thing Playfair is extremely inconsequential to the teams success. As you said he wears a letter and kills penalties. He doesn't produce offensively, the penalty kill isn't horrible but it isn't great either. Since the team started out very well you have Letowski believing that they can't switch things up because..... Correlation doesn't imply causation. For the same reason Boka being one of the first forwards over the boards when down a goal. Why?? Since he has 9 goals?? Nevermind 1 goal in 10-11 games or that 3 goals came in one game. As for Playfair unfortunately they haven't found a single player that can push him out of the lineup??? He's a fringe player and they can't find a fringe guy or much better guy to push him out??? It's real easy to keep him around because he wears a letter it's much harder to make real decisions for the betterment of the franchise. The weird part is it wouldn't even be a tough decision to make.

The only reason I can see Boka being one of the first forwards over the boards while down a goal is because he has a great fore check, great for board battles, creates turnovers etc. and when you have Douglas & D'Amico on that line those guys have proved they can score when down in a game multiple times this year, that's honestly the only way I see Boka being put in that situation, it not like he is going to put one in the net most times. As for Playfair if anything imho he has regressed, I would have traded him awhile back, maybe to his hometown area of Kitchener (If the Rangers were willing) for maybe a 5th or 6th round pick, if any GM would take that bait....who knows? I would like to see Zito get more ice time and Johnston looked great last weekend in Saginaw. Should be an interesting weekend of hockey for the Spit's! Hope Medina looks sharp and the D helps him out.

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Well this all escalated quickly...

Tonight should be Playfair and Robinson sitting. Let the kids play up front and let Robinson refocus for a game. Will it be that way? Probably not; you'll have Zito or Maggio sitting along with Rupoli. Best guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad