Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You could have thrown a pair of upcoming 4ths, plus a distant third, which would have been similar value, and still been left with picks in the rounds you needed.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I think between Purboo and Boka, the safer move would be dealing Purboo.

BTW, Boka needs 43 more games to have the most regular season games by any Spitfire in history. Current is 306; he's at 263.[/QUOTE

While I do favor Boka over Purboo myself, we need to be honest with ourselves. None of our O/A will push us up very much in the standings.
If anyone thinks the Spits will keep Boka until he gets X number of GP they'd better give there head a shake. Take a couple of 3rds and smile on the way to the bank.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Recently it has been brought up about TL our coach playing some vets too much and possibly not giving our youth more TOI. Curious to see a supposedly top OHL/CHL/ Team Canada coach (London) employing a similar strategy ...” I'm all for more minutes for Stranges, but Dale seems to be going with a more balanced approach right now while they look for what works. Further, Moskal and Tymkin are going to get a ton of icetime because Dale relies on them. ”. I am not saying both coaches are same but may employ similar styles? So for conversation sake, curious at what some of your thoughts as I know some here have commented about this about our coach.

member 71782

Recently it has been brought up about TL our coach playing some vets too much and possibly not giving our youth more TOI. Curious to see a supposedly top OHL/CHL/ Team Canada coach (London) employing a similar strategy ...” I'm all for more minutes for Stranges, but Dale seems to be going with a more balanced approach right now while they look for what works. Further, Moskal and Tymkin are going to get a ton of icetime because Dale relies on them. ”. I am not saying both coaches are same but may employ similar styles? So for conversation sake, curious at what some of your thoughts as I know some here have commented about this about our coach.

The issue isn't straightforward he is playing vets too much, it's when vets who normally perform at a lower level than the kids get more TOI than the kids outplaying them. The other, bigger issue is mismatched skill sets to try to ensure most of the time he has one of those vets on a line with either the younger kids or even other vets that don't work well together.

Right now Boka is playing fairly well, better than expected for my expectations but will he keep it up, will his linemates also benefit or is it a one way street in terms of Boka benefitting from who his linemates are etc.

Purboo, until recently hasn't been meeting expectations. Obviously he's picked things up a bit the last few games which is good but he has first line minutes since the first game this year, as well as much of the last two years. How has he benefitted from playing those minutes and how have his linemates benefitted from playing with him?

That's where the issues come from. Are players, not just vets being played in situations that are beneficial for them, their linemates and the team as a whole? What are the expectations for those players, vets or otherwise and how do they compare to other teams in similar situations? Are they high end vets who should be playing top line minutes or are they middle six vets on a rebuilding or still building team playing top line minutes at the expense of younger players coming up who are just as close to playing those minutes but aren't being developed for those situations.

Purboo is trying to expand his game, bring more to how he plays which is great but learning to play an expanded style while trying to play against other teams top lines has been trying to say the least. I and others may get frustrated at him playing top line minutes but at the same time asking him to expand on how he contributes in ways he never has before while playing against other team's top lines isn't the best situation for him either. Drop him down, let him grow his game and move him back up if it's effective would make sense especially when you consider he's not a top tier OA in the league and Windsor has younger players who already bring more that should be groomed for top line minutes.

That's just one example but more of it has to do with poor line matching than anything else. If you can find a good fit , regardless of the player put them together and it should benefit the whole team. When there's not a good fit and it simply becomes making sure there's a vet who doesn't play a complimentary style to his linemates only because he's a vet than it becomes an issue. The player becomes the target, rather unfairly for the coaches decisions.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The issue isn't straightforward he is playing vets too much, it's when vets who normally perform at a lower level than the kids get more TOI than the kids outplaying them. The other, bigger issue is mismatched skill sets to try to ensure most of the time he has one of those vets on a line with either the younger kids or even other vets that don't work well together.

Right now Boka is playing fairly well, better than expected for my expectations but will he keep it up, will his linemates also benefit or is it a one way street in terms of Boka benefitting from who his linemates are etc.

Purboo, until recently hasn't been meeting expectations. Obviously he's picked things up a bit the last few games which is good but he has first line minutes since the first game this year, as well as much of the last two years. How has he benefitted from playing those minutes and how have his linemates benefitted from playing with him?

That's where the issues come from. Are players, not just vets being played in situations that are beneficial for them, their linemates and the team as a whole? What are the expectations for those players, vets or otherwise and how do they compare to other teams in similar situations? Are they high end vets who should be playing top line minutes or are they middle six vets on a rebuilding or still building team playing top line minutes at the expense of younger players coming up who are just as close to playing those minutes but aren't being developed for those situations.

Purboo is trying to expand his game, bring more to how he plays which is great but learning to play an expanded style while trying to play against other teams top lines has been trying to say the least. I and others may get frustrated at him playing top line minutes but at the same time asking him to expand on how he contributes in ways he never has before while playing against other team's top lines isn't the best situation for him either. Drop him down, let him grow his game and move him back up if it's effective would make sense especially when you consider he's not a top tier OA in the league and Windsor has younger players who already bring more that should be groomed for top line minutes.

That's just one example but more of it has to do with poor line matching than anything else. If you can find a good fit , regardless of the player put them together and it should benefit the whole team. When there's not a good fit and it simply becomes making sure there's a vet who doesn't play a complimentary style to his linemates only because he's a vet than it becomes an issue. The player becomes the target, rather unfairly for the coaches decisions.

In order to compare the situation it would help to see the minutes for players in London. We have already seen the numbers in Windsor with Boka getting games of 18-19 minutes, Playfair getting a game with 18 mins, Purboo getting large minutes.

That's probably the biggest issue when you have 2 OAs getting a large amount of ice and the idea of how they should be utilized as compared to what they actually do.

Playfair's only value at this current time is winning faceoffs. Just as Moskal is brought up in London he wins faceoffs at a 63% clip which is pretty elite.

I would also say London repeatedly has shown signs of being proactive. Currently they only have 2 OAs playing, neither of them performing highly. It's quite reasonable to believe London would go out and shake things up and at some point those "vets" might be pushed down a bit for more talented players.

Reactions: m2m

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
The LaSalle Vipers have added defenseman James Jodoin from @SpitsHockey
The 16-year-old Oakville native was the Spitfires 4th round, 67th overall pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection and spent the first month of the season with the team.

member 71782

The 16-year-old Oakville native was the Spitfires 4th round, 67th overall pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection and spent the first month of the season with the team.

If they weren't going to get him any icetime at least now he can play.

I'm guessing/hoping this means Ladd will be back for Thursday?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Good he can actually play some hockey.
Having him just sit before was a bad move Windsor.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Good he can actually play some hockey.
Having him just sit before was a bad move Windsor.

Why is everything this team does ,make it a bad move.
1 month with the big club that any 16 year would take and run with.
Practice against better players then those in JrB, is good for everybody they are all trying to get better,same thing happens in the NHL,players trying to crack the lineup have to practice hard to continuously improve,and the ones playing ahead of them are working to get better,same in Jrs,Jodoin got to practice the systems, travel with the team,benefitted from one on one coaching when not dressing, he is more ready then having never played a game or practiced with the big club.
I see nothing done wrong here,do I think what I said changes you more mind,doubt it,open minds change not closed minds with rigid thinking,the my way of thinking no nodding to alternative theories that players trying to make NHL lineups,or teams above a level will attest to.

Reactions: ohloutsider

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Practice against better players then those in JrB, is good for everybody they are all trying to get better,same thing happens in the NHL,players trying to crack the lineup have to practice hard to continuously improve,and the ones playing ahead of them are working to get better,same in Jrs,Jodoin got to practice the systems, travel with the team,benefitted from one on one coaching when not dressing, he is more ready then having never played a game or practiced with the big club.
I see nothing done wrong here,do I think what I said changes you more mind,doubt it,open minds change not closed minds with rigid thinking,the my way of thinking no nodding to alternative theories that players trying to make NHL lineups,or teams above a level will attest to.

Closed minds.
Never u. Lol

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
LaSalle already had started the year with two 16-year-olds. This is why Jodoin was not there in the first place. Both teams had to wait until a third 16-year-old card was acquired.

Reactions: aresknights

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Any word yet on D'amico status re: high stick end of game? I thought match penalties were a automatic review by the league I haven't seen any news about it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think you're really trying to butter this up as a great thing. It's probably neither in the end but bending over backwards to exult this seems misplaced. You can't compare what Joidon is doing to what NHL players go through. NHL players are adults working on their trade, driving their own car, making their own meals, working out and doing this for a living. Joidon hopes to be so lucky one day. Guys in the NHL even when on the road and not playing still get $110 per diem a day a few days on the road in the NHL is more than Joidon will make in a month.

The biggest issue is Joidon hasn't played in a competitive game for close to 50 days. You can make the case that exhibition isn't even bordering on the competitive side of a regular season OHL game either. Now he has to go to LaSalle where he hasn't played for 50 days, play with players he hasn't really played with for the most part and start all over from scratch.

You went out of your way last year to compliment Windsor for doing right by the player. Were they doing right by the player for the past 49-50 days???

Shortstop

Nov 14, 2018
It’s always a hard decision to keep a player up that will sit in the press box as a young player. Last year they kept Robinson down for most of the season in Lasalle, in a league that he was clearly dominating as a 16 year old. I think he has surpassed all of our expectations this year, including scouts. Would he be better with a little more experience with Windsor last year or did it help him jump right in this year because of the playing time, confidence that he gained in Lasalle? I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. Just glad he looks like a major piece to the puzzle for a few years. Maybe Jodoin does the same.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I think you're really trying to butter this up as a great thing. It's probably neither in the end but bending over backwards to exult this seems misplaced. You can't compare what Joidon is doing to what NHL players go through. NHL players are adults working on their trade, driving their own car, making their own meals, working out and doing this for a living. Joidon hopes to be so lucky one day. Guys in the NHL even when on the road and not playing still get $110 per diem a day a few days on the road in the NHL is more than Joidon will make in a month.

The biggest issue is Joidon hasn't played in a competitive game for close to 50 days. You can make the case that exhibition isn't even bordering on the competitive side of a regular season OHL game either. Now he has to go to LaSalle where he hasn't played for 50 days, play with players he hasn't really played with for the most part and start all over from scratch.

You went out of your way last year to compliment Windsor for doing right by the player. Were they doing right by the player for the past 49-50 days???

What don't understand about the the fact that hands were tied? He would have been playing the whole time for LaSalle had they not already had two 16 year olds. Spits wanted him around as their 7th D, but had to wait until LaSalle acquired a third 16-year-old card before they could send him there, which takes time

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Any word yet on D'amico status re: high stick end of game? I thought match penalties were a automatic review by the league I haven't seen any news about it.
They never seem to like to announce things until the day of teams next game. Should know tomorrow. Team probably already knows

Reactions: Cherrydon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What don't understand about the the fact that hands were tied? He would have been playing the whole time for LaSalle had they not already had two 16 year olds. Spits wanted him around as their 7th D, but had to wait until LaSalle acquired a third 16-year-old card before they could send him there, which takes time

If LaSalle is the top affiliate for the Windsor Spitfires shouldn't the Spitfires have first consideration for any player they want to put in LaSalle??? How much time does it take? Do you believe it took 6 weeks to get that next card?? You don't believe their top affiliate would bend over backwards for the Spits if they really wanted to put him in the GOJHL to start the year?

member 71782

A quick thought, theory or question on why it took so long for LaSalle to get another 16 year old card and why Windsor didn't send Jodoin down sooner/have LaSalle hold a card open for the first week or two.

Any chance, with Corcoran and Lalonde being similar type D (both 19, both right shot, both similar offensively) was Bowler having discussions with Flint at the same time and kept Jodoin up in case a deal was there?

Trades can take weeks/months to come to fruition, especially early in the season when you have a team likely going all in and another not quite sure what direction they are going. Any chance Bowler thought he might have had a deal coming together and once Lalonde went to Flint that forced his hand and put LaSalle in a position to have to get another card?

Reactions: aresknights and m2m

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
So much speculation/criticism here without having a clue on details

LaSalle elected two take two local 16-year-old forwards because Spits had nothing to offer besides Jodoin a defenseman. At the time the first two 16-year-olds were signed, LaSalle had their entire veteran defensemen unit returning. Circumstances then occurred where several of those d-men left the team unexpectedly very close to the beginning of the season, so then all of a sudden Vipers did need a D. It then comes down to which teams don't use a 16-year-old card and that takes a considerable amount of time as you are waiting on other teams.

The issue had nothing to do with the Spitfires. LaSalle took two local 16-year-old forwards well in advance, but then unforeseen happenings left them with holes on the backend. If they had a crystal ball and could have seen what was going to happen with several defensemen leaving the team, then they would have kept a 16-year-old card for Jodoin

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
A quick thought, theory or question on why it took so long for LaSalle to get another 16 year old card and why Windsor didn't send Jodoin down sooner/have LaSalle hold a card open for the first week or two.

Any chance, with Corcoran and Lalonde being similar type D (both 19, both right shot, both similar offensively) was Bowler having discussions with Flint at the same time and kept Jodoin up in case a deal was there?

Trades can take weeks/months to come to fruition, especially early in the season when you have a team likely going all in and another not quite sure what direction they are going. Any chance Bowler thought he might have had a deal coming together and once Lalonde went to Flint that forced his hand and put LaSalle in a position to have to get another card?

I still think it leaves the team vulnerable. Stevenson hasn't been that good and you could make the case there are probably 12 other+ teams where he wouldn't be an OA. One injury and they either call up Jodoin but.... if he didn't play in any games this year it's quite possible they don't want him to get into those 9-10 games. They may still be looking for a D which would make the most sense whether it was Lalonde who knows.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I still think it leaves the team vulnerable. Stevenson hasn't been that good and you could make the case there are probably 12 other+ teams where he wouldn't be an OA. One injury and they either call up Jodoin but.... if he didn't play in any games this year it's quite possible they don't want him to get into those 9-10 games. They may still be looking for a D which would make the most sense whether it was Lalonde who knows.

The team is in first place if they win their games in Saginaw and just beat London in London. Yet you think they should just up and get rid of Stevenson? You don't just make a move like that when things are going well. Heard just this morning talking about Masai Ujiri and why he has been a successful GM, and they said it is because he is patient and lets things play out, doesn't make impulsive moves

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The team is in first place if they win their games in Saginaw and just beat London in London. Yet you think they should just up and get rid of Stevenson? You don't just make a move like that when things are going well. Heard just this morning talking about Masai Ujiri and why he has been a successful GM, and they said it is because he is patient and lets things play out, doesn't make impulsive moves

You don't get it one injury leaves them at 5 D and with the choice of either calling up Jodoin and having to acquire another D. Unless Stevenson was the one that got injured he would move up the line. What does Ujiri have to do with Bowler and the Spits?? One has been on the job for 2 months and the other has been part of an organization for 6 years.

Would going out and acquiring Gareffa be an impulse move?

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
You don't get it one injury leaves them at 5 D and with the choice of either calling up Jodoin and having to acquire another D. Unless Stevenson was the one that got injured he would move up the line. What does Ujiri have to do with Bowler and the Spits?? One has been on the job for 2 months and the other has been part of an organization for 6 years.

Would going out and acquiring Gareffa be an impulse move?

No you don't get it. Yes it would be an impulse move. Because while the team has done well so far, you still can't be entirely sure what you have because they are still a fairly young team who is just learning to win. Trading assets for a player who is going to be here for one year would be an impulsive move because you are still expecting next year to be the year you are serious contenders. Now, if things keep going the way they are going a couple months down the road, then maybe you look for an upgrade.

Also where are you getting it that Jodoin can't be called up? He gets 10 games on a B card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad