Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Re: Afanaseyev- yes they could place him in the AHL next season but there is a chance that if the Spits are posed to make a serious run they may return him next season for the contender experience. I'd say keep him. Loads of 2nd picks are great to acquire players but drafting with those picks you still only sign 3-4 players out of each draft. I'm sure Bowler will have talks with the Preds to test the waters. We will need Eygor for any type of playoff run and moving him just heads us again towards a first round loss which by the conservation on here is unacceptable.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Yeah get the tie breaker rules however that's in effect when all games played. When you have a game in hand that should put you on top like every other sport does. MLB would put us half a game ahead. Been a long time since we've seen the top after 11 games and just wanted to see that for a change lol

Nice to see Windsor and Kitchener only 2 teams with a unbeaten home record in regulation 5-0-1.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If Windsor's got a chance to make noise, you don't deal him. It's one thing this city has craved and it sends the wrong message. "We're in first, but we've just dealt a seriously talented guy IN CASE he's not back next season." Heck, it wouldn't shock me if Nashville kept him in the OHL next season, if Windsor goes on a run.

Noise......

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

member 71782

Re: Afanaseyev- yes they could place him in the AHL next season but there is a chance that if the Spits are posed to make a serious run they may return him next season for the contender experience. I'd say keep him. Loads of 2nd picks are great to acquire players but drafting with those picks you still only sign 3-4 players out of each draft. I'm sure Bowler will have talks with the Preds to test the waters. We will need Eygor for any type of playoff run and moving him just heads us again towards a first round loss which by the conservation on here is unacceptable.

As one of the loudest complainers for me it's been about asset management, holding a player or two who probably won't be back trying to make the playoffs or get out of the first round or moving picks to do the same with no plan to build on whatever they might have been trying to accomplish the following year and likely not having the assets to build on it.

If they are a fourth/fifth place team at the deadline, likely a first or second round exit in the playoffs are people willing to spend to add or simply ride it out and hope for the best, this year and next?

That's really what myself and others have been complaining about. No direction, no plan just hope for the best and spend whatever assets are available to try to make the playoffs regardless of what the results are likely to be.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Unfortunately, there are so many factors involved - where the team is, what Nashville wants to do, the prices offered, etc. - that it's tough to get a read on it right now. Maybe in December, once we have an idea of where we'll sit come Feb/Mar.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The deciding factor on Afanaseyev could very well be when Nashville wants his contract to start. If he plays in the OHL next year, his contract doesn't start until 21-22. That also means they don't have to negotiate a new contract until 24-25. The business side can come into play.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
As one of the loudest complainers for me it's been about asset management, holding a player or two who probably won't be back trying to make the playoffs or get out of the first round or moving picks to do the same with no plan to build on whatever they might have been trying to accomplish the following year and likely not having the assets to build on it.

If they are a fourth/fifth place team at the deadline, likely a first or second round exit in the playoffs are people willing to spend to add or simply ride it out and hope for the best, this year and next?

That's really what myself and others have been complaining about. No direction, no plan just hope for the best and spend whatever assets are available to try to make the playoffs regardless of what the results are likely to be.
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that direction and plan unknown is a problem. We have a better talented younger team then a talented veteran team. If we are 4th place or higher by the trade deadline I'd keep Boca for defensive tenacity. I'd still move Purboo and possibly Stevenson if there is a market. Another consideration is next season we have 4 overage possibilities on the team. Angle and Corcoran are shoe ins to return if available but what do you do with Playfair and Douglas? I'm not sure Douglas is ready for even the AHL. Sure he is size wise but he was in the Stars first round of cuts at trng camp. He is unsigned as well. The push I believe for a run is next season. If you wait till 21-22 you have 5 potential overagers returning all top talent. In addition you have no idea if a couple of our drafted players make an nhl team by then. Too many risks. If we stay status quo with the roster even through the next 2 season's we will still need assets to fill key roles to make a legitimate run. Bowler has to be thinking 2-3 yrs out all the time and hopefully doesn't trade young talent to fill those needs.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
How are the Spitfires one of the best teams in the league with such a terrible coach? I read lots of posts about how horrible he is but I just don't see it. When something isn't working he changes things around until it does work. When the team starts playing poorly for a stretch during a game, he gets them to wake up and to start playing well again. Most importantly, the young players on this team are all showing noticeable improvement and are being used in a way that allows them to become the best players they can be. I'm trying to understand where this Letowski hate is coming from and I just don't get it. Maybe he isn't a matchup wizard or tactical genius, having Purboo on the ice for 3v3 overtime was beyond stupid, but otherwise he is managing this roster as well as anyone could possibly expect. Seriously, who would do a better job coaching this team right now? Tommy Webster? Tony Curtale? If the Spitfires continue to succeed the guy probably gets quite a few votes for coach of the year, and yet here we are lining up to crap on him just so we can pretend we sound smart on a message board. It sort of bugs me. There's nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong about something, its time for some people around here to man up and admit they might be wrong about Letowski. He's doing a great job.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

This is not meant at you specifically but I think fans overrate how NHL organizations value junior hockey teams. NHL teams are going to do what they feel is right for their organization and that player. I don't believe for a moment that a team would look at what a junior hockey roster looks like and decide he should play on what could be a decent junior hockey team. Gaining life experience in the AHL learning what it takes to be a pro, cook your own meals, work out in better facilities, learn from actual professionals means more than playing for Letowski or on a line with Boka.

The thing is they could just as easily lose in the 1st round with Egor on their roster. Ask yourself why the Spits haven't won a playoff round in forever. The Spits have had shiny pieces before but collectively they have fallen well short of having a very good roster. Would you rather have Egor for this year and have him go to the AHL next year. Or recoup more assets that can be used moving forward. At most Egor would only have one more year he can't benefit them more than that.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
How are the Spitfires one of the best teams in the league with such a terrible coach? I read lots of posts about how horrible he is but I just don't see it. When something isn't working he changes things around until it does work. When the team starts playing poorly for a stretch during a game, he gets them to wake up and to start playing well again. Most importantly, the young players on this team are all showing noticeable improvement and are being used in a way that allows them to become the best players they can be. I'm trying to understand where this Letowski hate is coming from and I just don't get it. Maybe he isn't a matchup wizard or tactical genius, having Purboo on the ice for 3v3 overtime was beyond stupid, but otherwise he is managing this roster as well as anyone could possibly expect. Seriously, who would do a better job coaching this team right now? Tommy Webster? Tony Curtale? If the Spitfires continue to succeed the guy probably gets quite a few votes for coach of the year, and yet here we are lining up to crap on him just so we can pretend we sound smart on a message board. It sort of bugs me. There's nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong about something, its time for some people around here to man up and admit they might be wrong about Letowski. He's doing a great job.

So we are judging Letowski on his value because of 11 games played this year?? Or is there a better way to look at Letowski's value based upon his prior 2 years in Windsor and his stint in Sarnia???

Tom Webster presently as 71 year old person?? No. Tom Webster a coach that I saw behind the bench while the Spits won an OHL title and later returned to win numerous playoff rounds in his return? Let's not talk about Letowski and Webster in the same sentence because one isn't even good enough to shine the other persons shoes.

Coach of the year does nothing for me because that has everything to do with the coach that does more with less. Phil Jackson is arguably one of the best coach's of all time he won 10 nba titles as a coach?? Strange he only won coach of the year once in his career. Letowski was top 5 for coach of the year in 17-18 what value did that have next year???

I get it that there's excitement or a bit after these past 11 games the issue has never been with the start of the year with Letowski. The issue has been what happens when the rubber hits the road come January and the cream rises to the top.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Garreffa only cost 3 3rd rounders. That's great value for Ottawa 200 points over the last 3 years, extremely durable. That would have been something I could have gotten behind if the Spits acquired him. I doubt you can find a player like that this year for less than 3 3rd's.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Garreffa only cost 3 3rd rounders. That's great value for Ottawa 200 points over the last 3 years, extremely durable. That would have been something I could have gotten behind if the Spits acquired him. I doubt you can find a player like that this year for less than 3 3rd's.

While I agree about what you said about the cost,see I can agree with what you say publicly sometimes,doubt if you can do the same,question does Garreffa play forward or D in Windsor,Ottawa got him to play upfront, they already have 5 guys 19 or older playing D,Windsor has 2,though Ottawa will move Hudson Wilson an oa dman to make room.
I like him upfront, would have moved Boka to make from,still if one of goalies had Andree's goals against average of 2.85 or less would have considered,still too young on D,if that were similar to Ottawa deal would have made sense.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What if they had released Stevenson and then dealt a few picks for Garreffa?

The question is would want Garrefa to play D,and if u did,yes moving Stevenson makes sense,but I am concerned defensively about Garrefa more then offensively,better to move out of top 9 if such an o/a or 19 year old for that price is available.

member 71782

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that direction and plan unknown is a problem. We have a better talented younger team then a talented veteran team. If we are 4th place or higher by the trade deadline I'd keep Boca for defensive tenacity. I'd still move Purboo and possibly Stevenson if there is a market. Another consideration is next season we have 4 overage possibilities on the team. Angle and Corcoran are shoe ins to return if available but what do you do with Playfair and Douglas? I'm not sure Douglas is ready for even the AHL. Sure he is size wise but he was in the Stars first round of cuts at trng camp. He is unsigned as well. The push I believe for a run is next season. If you wait till 21-22 you have 5 potential overagers returning all top talent. In addition you have no idea if a couple of our drafted players make an nhl team by then. Too many risks. If we stay status quo with the roster even through the next 2 season's we will still need assets to fill key roles to make a legitimate run. Bowler has to be thinking 2-3 yrs out all the time and hopefully doesn't trade young talent to fill those needs.

The only one of our OAs who may get moved would be Purboo. Bowler seems to have a soft spot for Stevenson and Boka will likely stay and get the record for most games played by a Spit. None of them have much value either so if they insist on running with three OAs while not making a big push it would cost more to upgrade so may as well stand pat or if they do move any of them, don't replace them with another OA unless it is a Garagan type coming back in a deal that doesn't affect the return for the player alone.

Playfair next year would be Garagan last year. He's currently fallen to the fourth line plus PK and the odd face off they may consider important. I don't see him here next year if they try to make a run, a very poor use of an OA spot on someone who has already dropped down to fourth line minutes. He has never really progressed and I don't think we see a huge jump the rest of this year or next. Move him for a late round pick this year or an even later round pick next year.

Douglas is going to be limited in his development in this league. He's not NHL or AHL ready and won't be until he gets out of the O. ECHL is an option for him next year and I could see him going there if he gets signed.

Corcoran has the potential to land in the AHL next year if he gets signed. If he does get signed, before the deadline I would think that possibility has to be considered when deciding if they should move him or not.

Angle is the one guarantee of the three drafted to be back. He's a late Bday so letting have another year in the O without it affecting the two year signing window won't hurt Columbus. If he continues the way he is he likely could bring a very good return this year, 01 player/2ND/2x 3RDs. Next year if they're not all in he would bring a solid OA return, not the biggest but decent, 2ND/2x 3RDs range so a bit less than they would get this year, no player but at least they would have him this year.

Afanasyev is the only player likely to add major pieces on his own. A high end 02 or potential 03 plus 2NDs and 3RDs. It's a lot to risk if he doesn't return and if he stays does it justify going in a bit more this year and next year trying to get a two year push?

The rest of our 01s are nothing special. Decent, yes but what's their value on the market compared to other 01s? If they are going to make a push next year they need to upgrade their 01s significantly. Most of the league has average 01s, it's not just a Windsor issue. There are a few very good 01s but they're going to cost a lot more than Windsor has to add with. Across the league I think 02s will play a significantly larger role in anyone's line up that's going all in so the cost is going to be high next year to get one of the few elite type 01s and even higher to get very good to elite 02s. This is they year to add 02s for next year and beyond, for any team that's looking at a run in the next two years but it's going to take a very good player to get them.

Here's what we have with picks at the moment through the first five rounds, barring any outstanding conditions not yet fulfilled (COND 2ND in 2026 to Hamilton is supposed to be upgraded to a 2020 2ND but haven't yet found that being fulfilled). It doesn't look bad but the lack of organizational depth willing to report to replace graduating players hurts this team right now. If you burn through all your picks and not many players are willing to report your going to spend whatever is left trying to ice a bottom feeding roster for a couple of years, especially if you get some early graduations.

YEARRND 1RND 2RND 3RND 4RND 5
2020WSR 1STFLT 2ND
LDN 2ND
---KIT 4TH
OSH 4TH
---
2021WSR 1STBAR 2ND ---WSR 4TH
FLT 4TH
WSR 5TH
ERI 5TH
2022WSR 1STOSH 2ND
OTT 2ND
WSR 3RDERI 4THWSR 5TH
2023WSR 1STOTT 2NDHAM 3RD (COND)
KIT 3RD
KNG 3RD
--- ---
2024WSR 1STKIT 2NDBAR 3RDWSR 4THWSR 5TH
HAM 5TH (COND)
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The question is would want Garrefa to play D,and if u did,yes moving Stevenson makes sense,but I am concerned defensively about Garrefa more then offensively,better to move out of top 9 if such an o/a or 19 year old for that price is available.

I think between Purboo and Boka, the safer move would be dealing Purboo.

BTW, Boka needs 43 more games to have the most regular season games by any Spitfire in history. Current is 306; he's at 263.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I think between Purboo and Boka, the safer move would be dealing Purboo.

BTW, Boka needs 43 more games to have the most regular season games by any Spitfire in history. Current is 306; he's at 263.

If he is n should be traded by the deadline he wont reach 306.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Since it’s fair to say there has been ample time for post game analysis of the last two games (thank you for all those that posted their feedback -I enjoy reading especially cfaub, ohlinsider, etc) I don’t recall seeing any of your analysis from Rayzor for last game (or 2 but correct me if incorrect), as I look forward to hearing what bad and good things from each game as I believe you try to be as anaylatical? May I ask for your feedback please? Thx.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Since it’s fair to say there has been ample time for post game analysis of the last two games (thank you for all those that posted their feedback -I enjoy reading especially cfaub, ohlinsider, etc) I don’t recall seeing any of your analysis from Rayzor for last game (or 2 but correct me if incorrect), as I look forward to hearing what bad and good things from each game as I believe you try to be as anaylatical? May I ask for your feedback please? Thx.

The London game was probably their best performance of the year. That's the way they need to play to have real sustained success. The Thursday night game is one of those games you can be happy they won but it was a game where the D was quite poor. 2nd period wasn't very good that night and they were under siege for much of that time. They were able to get it back in the 3rd. They still need to generate better offense from the point of view of sustained pressure. A lot of their offense are one and done opportunities.

Reactions: m2m

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
While I agree about what you said about the cost,see I can agree with what you say publicly sometimes,doubt if you can do the same,question does Garreffa play forward or D in Windsor,Ottawa got him to play upfront, they already have 5 guys 19 or older playing D,Windsor has 2,though Ottawa will move Hudson Wilson an oa dman to make room.
I like him upfront, would have moved Boka to make from,still if one of goalies had Andree's goals against average of 2.85 or less would have considered,still too young on D,if that were similar to Ottawa deal would have made sense.

I wont address the first comment because I am not even sure what it means. I would have him at forward but this is where the value comes in for 3 3rd rounders they got themselves a well rounded player, durable, and has a great skill set which would help this team. The issue is that the Spits actually didn't have the 3rd rounders to play with so they probably can't get involved with that. At this point they are pretty much married to the roster. They don't have a lot of guys in the pipeline signed and don't have flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->