Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Bad start, Foudy needs to be more careful, don't understand why Playfair is on the Douglas Boka line. Yes I know D'amico is out but better choices available. Vito Johnston Maggio line worked their tails off forchecking and leads to a goal and then don't see the ice for the remainder of the period. Really?

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Johnston has looked excellent so far. Best game of the season for him. As much as I like Playfair, I don't think it's a coincidence that the "kid line" is playing great again without him.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Curious for some analysis of how our vets played as there was concern about them and I can't watch game live. Looking at scoresheet looks like Boka 2G +3 , Corcoran 1G +3, Angle 2G +2, Playfair 1A +2, Purboo 1G, Stevenson 1G +3

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeylegend11

member 71782

The good tonight

Once again Windsor comes back to pull out a win in the third again. Great to see them not give up. Nice to see more contributions from a couple normally not expected to contribute.

The not so good

Another early goal. Cuylle/Foudy/McDonald struggled defensively early on. Foudy had a tough game overall. It improved at times but not his best game. The team in general continues to struggle in their own end quite a bit, this has to improve and right now defensive zone play is their biggest weakness. Robinson also had his struggles tonight.

Agree Zito/Johnston/Maggio again looked good and consistent together. The problem is keeping them together as the fourth line limits them at this point. Tonight they seemed to get a bit more TOI so maybe Letowski is starting to trust them a bit more. With the other lines, for the most part doing pretty well it's hard to justify making changes at this point so hopefully they start to see more shifts every game as a reward.

Playfair, when D'Amico is back should be the odd man out at this point. He should not be in there with the kids on the fourth line every game. Rotate him in and out for the next little while, before and after the U17s. He's a 19 year old wearing a letter who continues to be passed in development by the younger players.

This team needs to start playing three periods of hockey consistently. The standings look good and when you're near the top a lot of little things get overlooked. Yes there are a lot of things they're doing right but when you have to come from behind regularly there's still a lot of they're not doing right yet.

Another tough match coming Sunday when Sudbury comes to town. Two days off while Sudbury will be finishing a tough weekend on the road. Take advantage of the extra days off and work on their defensive zone issues.

Reactions: m2m

member 71782

Curious for some analysis of how our vets played as there was concern about them and I can't watch game live. Looking at scoresheet looks like Boka 2G +3 , Corcoran 1G +3, Angle 2G +2, Playfair 1A +2, Purboo 1G, Stevenson 1G +3

For the most part the vets were much more effective today than the kids. Everyone had their ups and downs but overall this is what should be expected from the vets and tonight they delivered for the most part.

Foudy/Cuylle/McDonald as a unit had their struggles tonight at times while many of the vets played much more consistent.

Nice to see them step up.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Encouraging to see early in season vets are improving from last year, hope they keep it consistent. Anyone else want to share as I enjoy reading everyones comments (except the 1-3 word short comments ).

For the most part the vets were much more effective today than the kids. Everyone had their ups and downs but overall this is what should be expected from the vets and tonight they delivered for the most part.

Foudy/Cuylle/McDonald as a unit had their struggles tonight at times while many of the vets played much more consistent.

Nice to see them step up.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Excellent push again in the 3rd. Only negative for me is the lack of production from Foudy and Cuylee this season. Those were the last 2 going into the season would be struggling. Draft year jitters. Hope they get on track soon.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Cuylle and Foudy need to get going; I don't know what the issue is, but something is lacking. Foudy got booed tonight when they lost control of the puck at the blueline and I'm not surprised. He's got incredible vision and speed but, man, find the teammates. Somehow. Cuylle should be getting on the board more. I don't know what's going on; one goal is very odd.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The comeback kids do it again.

Not a great start by any stretch; couldn't get their legs going and left the goaltending out to dry.

Being able to come back, multiple times, is showing something about the club. Now, they need to figure out how to avoid the slow starts. (as long as the finish is there, generally, I'm accepting)

I liked the vets' games; each one stepped up, whether they produced or not. The kids are still getting adjusted, though I liked Johnston/Maggio/Zito. That's going to be a really entertaining trio once they fully adjust. The frustrating thing is that one of them will sit once D'Amico is back (I'd sit Purboo or Playfair, but that's just me).

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Cuylle just isn’t doing what he does when he’s at his best. He’s not shooting the puck or using his body to out muscle guys. There were 3 times today he tried to make a pretty pass when he should have used his NHL calibre shot.

Loved the Zito, Johnston, Maggie line. Played great tonight. Also fantastic games from Boka, Rafkin and Stevenson. Robinson didn’t have the best game but I really like that kid. I feel like he has a chance to be dominate presence next year.

We are a pretty good team and it’s great to see so far. Once Cuylle and Foudy get going, we could be a top 4 team all year in the West provided the goaltending keeps it up.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well the comeback kids do it again tonight,wiping out 2-0,3-1 and 4-3 deficits to go on and win 6-4.
With their 4 win in a row,Spits tied with Saginaw for most points in the conference 17,though Saginaw has played 1 more game.
After a less then a scripted start,nice bounce back,Windsor now along with Kitchener who have not lost at home in regulation, Spits an impressive 6-0-1 at the WFCU Centre
Like others have said I was pretty impressed with many of the youngsters ,namely the Johnston,Maggio Zito line,best game of the season for both Maggio and Johnston,McDonald with a beauty goal late,strong play from Rafkin,who gets better every game.
Nice to see Thomas Stevenson get the game winner in the 3rd,doesn't do alot offensively so a goal is a bonus,he now sits at 2 points on the year,both goals.
In fact he is tied with fellow dman Corcoran with 2 goals.
No doubt Spits need to cut down on against goals but hard to criticize harshly when looking at Windsor's current record

Last edited:

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
"Hi, I'm Chris Playfair of the Windsor Spitfires and my Enwin powerplay safety message is don't put the puck in the opposing team's net or urinate on fallen electrical wires."

I thought Purboo was a force tonight, and Corcoran played really well too. Piiroinen could have been better but was good enough when it mattered. I don't see much about the team I don't like at the moment to be honest. They have the slow starts, but once they get going they are a handful. They could be better at tying up sticks around the net and shutting down passing lanes to help the goalie out, but that's every team in the CHL. Good win tonight, lets see how the rest of the weekend goes.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The comeback kids do it again.

Not a great start by any stretch; couldn't get their legs going and left the goaltending out to dry.

Being able to come back, multiple times, is showing something about the club. Now, they need to figure out how to avoid the slow starts. (as long as the finish is there, generally, I'm accepting)

I liked the vets' games; each one stepped up, whether they produced or not. The kids are still getting adjusted, though I liked Johnston/Maggio/Zito. That's going to be a really entertaining trio once they fully adjust. The frustrating thing is that one of them will sit once D'Amico is back (I'd sit Purboo or Playfair, but that's just me).

I would not sit Purboo,has scored in 3 straight games,in fact with no games scheduled till next Saturday, I am tempted to go with 13 forwards Sunday,sit Dylan Robinson ,who I thought really struggled last night,put Damico in use Playfair on D if you have to,or go with 5 like you virtually did in London save a couple shifts for Jodoin.Playfair and or Boka could easily fill in on D if need be.
Robinson comes back in next Saturday at SSM,while Wyatt Johnston would be leaving for -17
.tourney.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I won't deny, I'm not a big fan of putting a F on D, just because they can. Robinson struggled, no denial, but that's as much a learning curve as anything. Sit Playfair, dress D'Amico.

member 71782

Robinson has had one bad game overall this year, he shouldn't sit.

Purboo has only started to string together some good games but hasn't left the first line.

Playfair's play has continued to go in the wrong direction all year with only a couple of decent games so far yet he plays every game.

D'Amico has had some poor outings yet never sat.

Cuylle has had some struggles.

Foudy has had some struggles.

Pretty much every player has had multiple poor games and never saw the press box but Robinson has had one and he should sit? That makes no sense. Basically a rookie playing solid minutes on D, contributing regularly in all areas has one bad game you take the extra days between games, work it out with him to get him back on track and get him right back into things. You don't sit him and put someone who has struggled all year on D, out of position to replace him.

That would be a move some of us would expect from this staff but not one that should ever be made.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with another terrible slow start. This trend is not a good thing. Coaches need to have these players prepared. They came back "again in the 3rd. How long can this go on? Maybe fans shouldn't show up till middle 2nd. Thats when the team starts playing hockey. Haha
Some players had great games n carried the team. Others were not noticeable, selfish or just played bad.
Guess more "practice" needed.
Its good they scored lots of goals.
Their goalie not stopping lots. Letting 4 goals in alot of the games they played is not a recipe for success.
Team is weak or soft. No toughness. Need to get better on boards too.
3200 at game. Guess it will just be a common theme this year to see the arena half empty.

member 71782

Cuylle and Foudy have had their struggles whether they are playing together or with others. Let's face it, the opposition focuses on them and have limited their ability to play the way they have in the past.

Foudy still holds the puck too long, longer than last year. He's fast, he's creative when maintaining control of the puck and opponents seem to simply be forcing him to the outside as much as possible with every lap he takes. Unless he is completely out of space opponents aren't taking themselves out of the play trying to play overly physical against him. They play him physical but don't commit until he has no room. He needs to become more creative making plays entering the zone and not just carrying the puck deep where he is running out of space.

Cuylle as I said a little while ago seems to be trying to expand his game like Purboo was. He has become more effective in his passing game as well as along the boards but opponents have taken away any passing lanes to him and someone is always close enough to take away any shooting opportunities he may get. He needs to become more creative finding space to actually get shooting opportunities. Last year he had a sweet spot, mid to top of the circle and now he's getting very few chances from there, someone's always waiting to block his shot in that range. Like Afanasyev has started getting chances from the off wing on the PP Cuylle needs to do the same, find another spot to get his opportunities. He has improved his playmaking and others have benefitted playing with him as coverage has been focused on him creating other opportunities for whoever he plays with.

The two will figure it out, not worried too much even though they have had some struggles they have both shown some improvements in other areas.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - nice win - like others concerned that they wait until the 3rd period to up their game but looking back to last year they always looked out of gas in the 3rd so in many ways that is a good sign.

TL/Foudy - If I'm the coach Foudy sits and misses 3 or 4 shifts after his oops in the first 10 seconds of the game. At some point TL needs to send a message to Foudy and the rest of the team. If I'm Foudy's line mates I'm going to give him the once over after every shift - Pass the puck for crap sake.

Maggio - if we get that type of game from him every night the trade was well worth it.

Zitto and Johnston are starting to put in the work to push themselves up the line up - Purboo and Playfair take note.

Douglas - Very impressed with is game away from the puck - looks like he is finally putting it together.

Boka - well have to admit he is starting to look like a leader out there - I wonder if the change in GM's has anything to do with that???

Don't take Sudbury to lightly on Sunday , maybe a strong start and they could have another perfect weekend.

Shortstop

Nov 14, 2018
I would not sit Purboo,has scored in 3 straight games,in fact with no games scheduled till next Saturday, I am tempted to go with 13 forwards Sunday,sit Dylan Robinson ,who I thought really struggled last night,put Damico in use Playfair on D if you have to,or go with 5 like you virtually did in London save a couple shifts for Jodoin.Playfair and or Boka could easily fill in on D if need be.
Robinson comes back in next Saturday at SSM,while Wyatt Johnston would be leaving for -17
.tourney.
Sit Robinson and put a forward on defence??? After 1 bad game. How many 17 year old D-men go a whole season without a bad game. We all agree he’s been really good all year. Come on Legend......you’re WAY smarter than that.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sit Robinson and put a forward on defence??? After 1 bad game. How many 17 year old D-men go a whole season without a bad game. We all agree he’s been really good all year. Come on Legend......you’re WAY smarter than that.

I would have used Playfair at D only if needed not part of the 6 man corps.
Somebody has to sit not an easy decision in alot of ways,especially when team is winning.

member 71782

I think the decision as to who sits is getting pretty obvious.

Playfair has shown very little progression, is being outplayed by the rookies and kids, except when he is on the fourth line with them in which case the fourth line seems to struggle a bit.

A case can be made for a number of players to sit for a game but Playfair is the only one on the team that a case can be made game in and game out.

He hasn't cost the team any games but he hasn't done a lot to help overall. He's 19, being outplayed by everyone, wears a letter and slows the kids down.

After the U17s are done it really needs to be asked if he can still be a fit or is it time to find an upgrade if the kids are going to continue to be rotated while he plays every night.

The vets started the year playing for their jobs. All have responded or at least starting to respond more consistently except one.

Is there really a spot for a 19 year old who has dropped down to the fourth line already, slowed down the kids on that line and isn't looking like he's going to progress?

Kid may give it his all but to improve the team tough choices need to be made. I don't see the team benefitting from him staying unless there are other changes planned so if he stays I would sit him for now, be it as part of a rotation or as the regular in the press box for a couple of games at a time.

When the U 17s are done let Zito/Johnston/Maggio get three or four games in a row together and see how they do. If need be have each one sit a night and Playfair goes in to give them that night off then evaluate what, if anything has changed.

For Sunday, Playfair is the obvious choice.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Robinson has had one bad game overall this year, he shouldn't sit.

Purboo has only started to string together some good games but hasn't left the first line.

Playfair's play has continued to go in the wrong direction all year with only a couple of decent games so far yet he plays every game.

D'Amico has had some poor outings yet never sat.

Cuylle has had some struggles.

Foudy has had some struggles.

Pretty much every player has had multiple poor games and never saw the press box but Robinson has had one and he should sit? That makes no sense. Basically a rookie playing solid minutes on D, contributing regularly in all areas has one bad game you take the extra days between games, work it out with him to get him back on track and get him right back into things. You don't sit him and put someone who has struggled all year on D, out of position to replace him.

That would be a move some of us would expect from this staff but not one that should ever be made.

IMHO... We are playing over our head at this point. As we begin playing better teams the team will drop back in the standings. We are not as bad as the Kingston's of the league but also not as good as the elite teams. as for the players...Robinson needs only more ice time in order to become their best D-Man.
Most of the older players O/A and next years O/A are here because of the financial situation of the team. A team hoping to contend next year would be shedding them when possible.
Perhaps the rumors of Cuylle and Foudy being unhappy during the attempted sale to 'Smiles R Us' were more than just rumors. Maybe its just a co-inkydink but neither seems to be playing up to expectations...

Reactions: FireBall959

member 71782

IMHO... We are playing over our head at this point. As we begin playing better teams the team will drop back in the standings. We are not as bad as the Kingston's of the league but also not as good as the elite teams. as for the players...Robinson needs only more ice time in order to become their best D-Man.
Most of the older players O/A and next years O/A are here because of the financial situation of the team. A team hoping to contend next year would be shedding them when possible.
Perhaps the rumors of Cuylle and Foudy being unhappy during the attempted sale to 'Smiles R Us' were more than just rumors. Maybe its just a co-inkydink but neither seems to be playing up to expectations...

You know I certainly don't disagree but have to give some credit, playing over their heads or not they are finding ways to win games. The vets have shown some improvement or at least have improved the intensity they are bringing for the most part and beyond Purboo on the top line they are starting to play in more suitable roles and benefitting from it. All is not perfect but they are getting results for their efforts and hopefully with that some confidence.

I had read on another board someone posting that Cuylle had wanted out a while back, maybe there's something to it maybe not, I'm sure we'll see but at this point with that over with and if there is still some hard feelings maybe it's more than just that situation but how things progressed afterwards. We'll see. Regardless they are going through some growing pains at this point and it comes from how this roster is made up. They are at the start of their second year and while they should be taking on more responsibilities they should still have some vets who can play with them which this team doesn't seem to have that fit. Anyone who has played with them has benefitted so it's not all on them but they haven't benefitted from others they've played with. With what they are capable of I'm more than willing to be patient provided they're not dropping off too much.

I'm not for spending big this year, I think they are two years away from being a top tier contender when this becomes the 02s and 03s team but with North Bay still carrying four OAs and clearly going younger you have to wonder what it would cost to try to get Struthers, even if only until the deadline. A solid centre who can score and create plays and would allow Foudy and Cuylle to play on separate lines. I think they will be good together but right now they're still young. It would mean moving one of our OAs and one of our centres (Angle or Douglas) which would likely bring a better return than what we would put out for Struthers which would be a net gain in assets. I'm still not a fan of the lines but they're working right now so it's hard to argue for any more changes for the next little while if they can continue putting up wins.

I still feel this year and next to a lesser extent are the years to finish moving out expiring assets, get a bit younger and build some organizational depth so maybe just ride it out until the deadline and see what deals may come our way. The sooner this team is in the hands of the 02s the better but they still need some solid veteran support as well.

I'm really hoping Foudy and Cuylle are simply trying to deal with the pressure of the draft and learning how to take on bigger roles, those two should be the foundation along with McDonald, Robinson, Rafkin, Maggio etc. I would definitely hate to see them wanting out, it would be a huge setback for this team. They are playing against 18/19 year olds with as much talent as they have most nights so it's not an easy transition into those roles but as long as they can pull it all together they will be much better for it.

Reactions: ohloutsider

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Hopefully Medina plays Sunday. Hopefully they just alternate until 1 kid steps up. It could be worse tho. Soo goaltending is in much worse shape then ours. I also think playfair should be the one who sits next. The kid line last night looked great at times. They just need to find a way to start finishing. But their pressure does wear down the d from other team. It was a nice win last night i do like the lines how they were and damico on boka and douglas line will improve it. Boka has been playing much better then he was last year. I still don’t think he should have the 2nd most ice time on the team but team is winning and that’s what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia