Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I would not go for it this year. I would not qant to give up the assets that would be required to make a run. To make that run, we might have to give up any or all of the following players, Johnston, McDonald, Robinson, Medina and Maggio. Be patient and wait a year for this group to mature along with Foudy and Cuylle. The big question mark for next year is whether Afanasyev is in the O or the A.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Like what I’m hearing, a win in London is always great news!! Not happy Zito sits because of scrap on thurs tho!! What’s TL gonna do to D’amico lol... This is big for the confidence factor, let’s hope they can build off it!!
Don't believe that Zito was sat because of the fight, just part of the rotation. That doesn't appear to be an issue going forward with D'Amico out for a few games.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Great win!! Kari should have been a star. Probably his best game as a spit considering London's talent and huge crowd.Pushback in the 3rd was remarkable. Offense pushed all the way to the end, no sitting back and letting London take it to us in the closing minutes. Hopefully D'amico won't get more than a game but contact to the head is usually dealt with severely especially from a stick, I wouldn't call it swinging but certainly had a purposeful motion to it almost like he was hooking. Decision on which forward is a healthy scratch won't be needed I'm afraid for a while.
Since thanksgiving day has past I'm still thankful for one thing. Windsor not dealing for Merkley. His pinches directly led to 2 of our goals. Add known attitude and that's the last thing the Spits needed. London surprisingly has been struggling to start this season especially with such a talented roster. Maybe too many NHL drafted prospects working individually at this time. Maybe Hunters a bit strapped thinking about team Canada juniors as well as coaching all 6 Russia series games.

Reactions: OHLTG and sbpointer

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
I found this very intersting about one of our former players that was recently brought up here... "Just speculating on gretz but Morgan was clearly benched in the 3rd of the Windsor game. Thought maybe he was hurt at first but he definitely had that kicked dog look on the bench."

member 71782

I have to poise the question, are we contenders? Do we keep our vets and go for a run?

Short answer is no.

What the plans are for this team though is what determines when they will be going all in or even the need to go all in. Are they truly looking to become a consistently competitive team or are they still going to buy into the "JR cycle" that doesn't have to be followed as more and more teams are showing?

If they want to be a competitive team year in and year out then the next time they likely contend will be 2021/22 IMO. That's not to say they can't be good this year and next. It simply means doing what Oshawa did last year, make a couple of sideways moves to keep adding talent and picks the next two years while not going in on any one and done players that sets them back again for another 3/4/5 years.

Build the picks up, build the organizational talent up and keep focused on the young players who are the future while moving on from the vets who won't likely be here next year or the year after. Maximize value this year and next while building a team that can compete year in and year out for a number of years.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Short answer is no.

What the plans are for this team though is what determines when they will be going all in or even the need to go all in. Are they truly looking to become a consistently competitive team or are they still going to buy into the "JR cycle" that doesn't have to be followed as more and more teams are showing?

If they want to be a competitive team year in and year out then the next time they likely contend will be 2021/22 IMO. That's not to say they can't be good this year and next. It simply means doing what Oshawa did last year, make a couple of sideways moves to keep adding talent and picks the next two years while not going in on any one and done players that sets them back again for another 3/4/5 years.

Build the picks up, build the organizational talent up and keep focused on the young players who are the future while moving on from the vets who won't likely be here next year or the year after. Maximize value this year and next while building a team that can compete year in and year out for a number of years.

And a new coach.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Cool promo from the Spitfires - sign up at the game on Sunday the 27th for a chance to trick-or-treat with the Spitfires (a person and three friends). That's thinking outside of the box!!

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Cool promo from the Spitfires - sign up at the game on Sunday the 27th for a chance to trick-or-treat with the Spitfires (a person and three friends). That's thinking outside of the box!!

That would be good promo for "children".
Hopefully they do more advertising to promote this. A lot more than they do already

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
As OHLTG wrote ,Spits have scored 19 goals during their 3 game winning streak,and have allowed 12 goals against.
Special teams Windsor on the PP is 5/10 during this stretch have gone 10/12 on the Pk.
Combined special teams are at 134.4%
efficiency, can't keep this up otherwise Windsor 7 will amp up his bad coaching mantra to deafening tones.
Through this streak,Angle,Afanaseyev, Douglas and D'amico have 6 points each,10 goals combined, they are followed by 5 pointers from Purboo and Foudy,4 points from Rafkin and 3 points from Ladd,Robinson and Cuylle.
Only 5 players have not gained a point,Maggio, Playfair,Jodoin,Johnston and Zito.
Piironen averaged 3.50 and Medina 5.00.
Too bad D'amico most likely will be suspended predicting 5 games,puts him out next 2 weeks,not all bad should that occur,when D'amico comes back Johnston would be leaving for Team Canada -17 tourney.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That would be good promo for "children".
Hopefully they do more advertising to promote this. A lot more than they do already

Maybe you can give them ideas on how you'd market them beyond what they've already done. It's on all their social media platforms (and now here); was just posted this afternoon.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe you can give them ideas on how you'd market them beyond what they've already done. It's on all their social media platforms (and now here); was just posted this afternoon.

It needs to get out more for people to see it. Would be good for the kids.
Their advertising sux

member 71782

It doesn’t really matter and really not a big deal. But i guess it is good that someone mad about it cause we need something to talk about during this winning streak

Afanasyev just signed with Nashville.

Well there's something to talk about, albeit closer to the deadline.

He's AHL eligible, does he stay or does he get moved for a nice return, with conditionals for next year and a potential OA year.

If he progresses as hoped for/expected he could return some solid pieces if he were dealt, barring of course Windsor not leading the conference by six or more points and the players force Bowler's hand to go all in.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If Windsor's got a chance to make noise, you don't deal him. It's one thing this city has craved and it sends the wrong message. "We're in first, but we've just dealt a seriously talented guy IN CASE he's not back next season." Heck, it wouldn't shock me if Nashville kept him in the OHL next season, if Windsor goes on a run.

Reactions: I guard the door

member 71782

If Windsor's got a chance to make noise, you don't deal him. It's one thing this city has craved and it sends the wrong message. "We're in first, but we've just dealt a seriously talented guy IN CASE he's not back next season." Heck, it wouldn't shock me if Nashville kept him in the OHL next season, if Windsor goes on a run.

If he lives up to expectations he's likely one and done regardless of how Windsor looks next year.

I know Nashville doesn't rush their prospects into the NHL but being AHL eligible in a year Windsor isn't likely to contend, see how they look at the deadline I think between him and two or three others there's a nice pile of picks and players on the table waiting to be had.

Do you risk solidifying the foundation of a three to four year run for a possible extra round in the playoffs and hope he comes back or do you add another big piece or two plus picks moving him and a couple of others to become serious contenders next year and beyond?

The only way I would leave picks/players on the table in January in the hopes of getting to the second round is if I knew he was coming back and Windsor had some commitments from a couple of fliers for next year, neither of which is likely to happen.

Who we could move likely isn't enough to get us beyond the second round and beyond without spending to add. I don't want to see anymore half ***** attempts at things. Move out the players who won't return, develop the kids and add to them as well as to the picks.

Windsor doesn't have the depth this year to go along with the picks. That's another long stretch of hard times if they spend this year.

Next year will be a seller's market, if Windsor stands pat and their likely graduating players did return then they will have about 6x 2nds, 4x 3rds and a couple of fourths to add big. Would it be enough? Doubtful and again, likely leads to another long stretch of hard times.

I want to see them competitive, for more than a one year stretch every four or five years so while they are still in a build mode I want to see them finally do it right, set themselves up for an early shot next year while basically standing pat then have the assets to be at the top for a real three to four year stretch afterwards.

If they're in first at the deadline and showing they can be a serious contender this year then make a push but that's not a realistic expectation just yet.

Don't simply hold players at this point just for the sake of two extra playoff gates when they can set themselves up many more in the coming seasons. Is it really worth it?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
If he lives up to expectations he's likely one and done regardless of how Windsor looks next year.

I know Nashville doesn't rush their prospects into the NHL but being AHL eligible in a year Windsor isn't likely to contend, see how they look at the deadline I think between him and two or three others there's a nice pile of picks and players on the table waiting to be had.

Do you risk solidifying the foundation of a three to four year run for a possible extra round in the playoffs and hope he comes back or do you add another big piece or two plus picks moving him and a couple of others to become serious contenders next year and beyond?

The only way I would leave picks/players on the table in January in the hopes of getting to the second round is if I knew he was coming back and Windsor had some commitments from a couple of fliers for next year, neither of which is likely to happen.

Who we could move likely isn't enough to get us beyond the second round and beyond without spending to add. I don't want to see anymore half ***** attempts at things. Move out the players who won't return, develop the kids and add to them as well as to the picks.

Windsor doesn't have the depth this year to go along with the picks. That's another long stretch of hard times if they spend this year.

Next year will be a seller's market, if Windsor stands pat and their likely graduating players did return then they will have about 6x 2nds, 4x 3rds and a couple of fourths to add big. Would it be enough? Doubtful and again, likely leads to another long stretch of hard times.

I want to see them competitive, for more than a one year stretch every four or five years so while they are still in a build mode I want to see them finally do it right, set themselves up for an early shot next year while basically standing pat then have the assets to be at the top for a real three to four year stretch afterwards.

If they're in first at the deadline and showing they can be a serious contender this year then make a push but that's not a realistic expectation just yet.

Don't simply hold players at this point just for the sake of two extra playoff gates when they can set themselves up many more in the coming seasons. Is it really worth it?
Christian Fischer comes to mind back in 2017.

Reactions: member 71782

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
New rules - first tie breaker is head to head - we have not played yet. Second tie breaker is total goals - they have more so they are in first. Read the rules as indicated below.

OHL Playoff Format and Tie-Breaking Procedures – Ontario Hockey League
Yeah get the tie breaker rules however that's in effect when all games played. When you have a game in hand that should put you on top like every other sport does. MLB would put us half a game ahead. Been a long time since we've seen the top after 11 games and just wanted to see that for a change lol

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad