Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Good catch. I didn't have the draft pick info in front of me. (Unless WR can get a third)

IF there's a rush for G in the second, then I'd grab him. If not, either acquire a 3rd or wait until the 4th.

wait to long and he wont be around to pick
Happened before...………...

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ok wow you guys are all over the map lol. First off, how many ohl teams have multiple players ready to step in in jrB? Not many. Get rid of all of this birth year? Hit on 6 players or were sunk? .... easy guys take a breath. It really wouldn’t take much to get this team to compete. The young guys will be a year in next year, there’s a possibility we get 1 or 2 past US born kids here plus the return from Mikey. Plus you can count on your first 2 picks and a first rnd euro pick to make the team. Imho this happens only if we get a solid coach in place and no he’s not currently coaching here in any capacity lol. Feels bad to lose right now but it only helps the cause!!

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
I would think he's an option. Currently ranked top-5 goaltenders so if the Spits can find a spot in the second or third round, I'm not against it. Frankly, a Piiroinen/Donoso duo would be fun next year.
As far as goaltending I don't see how they couldn't not bring Incze back if Piironen comes back. There is no way they could start the year with Piironen as a number 1. He hasn't been used enough down the stretch in the right situations to know what we have with him. Another thing that ticks me off with TL's lines are what is with Campbell playing on top lines while Frasca plays sparingly on the 4th. Jesus pulled the goalie last night and Campbell's on the ice.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ok wow you guys are all over the map lol. First off, how many ohl teams have multiple players ready to step in in jrB? Not many. Get rid of all of this birth year? Hit on 6 players or were sunk? .... easy guys take a breath. It really wouldn’t take much to get this team to compete. The young guys will be a year in next year, there’s a possibility we get 1 or 2 past US born kids here plus the return from Mikey. Plus you can count on your first 2 picks and a first rnd euro pick to make the team. Imho this happens only if we get a solid coach in place and no he’s not currently coaching here in any capacity lol. Feels bad to lose right now but it only helps the cause!!

Not really there are some people here that believe the culture is rotten. We haven't seen a lot to debunk that. The 19 year olds on this team haven't provided enough to make a difference with this team so it isn't far fetched to believe that Purboo/Boka back as OAs aren't likely enough to make that impact to make this team real good. The import draft hasn't been very good to this franchise over the past 8 seasons with the exception of Khoklachev and Sergachev. In general I think there is a fair bit of skepticism currently and I don't think you can blame the fans. Yes Cuylle and Foudy have made impacts as 16 year olds. Unfortunately you look at acquisitions like Campbell/Allen/Garagan and you have to wonder why. What did the organization see in guys like this? They are 2 OA's and one 19 year old and they have hardly made the impact you want. The Spits have 5 20 goal guys and a solid rookie in Foudy yet this team is probably 3-4 more forwards away from having depth. Their depth is extremely poor up front and right now the D needs to get revamped. I am just not a believer that you can fix everything in one offseason.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Unfortunately you look at acquisitions like Campbell/Allen/Garagan and you have to wonder why.

Campbell brought in for experience. Allen brought in for toughness. Garagan brought in for depth. People don't have to like that, but those are the reasons. Frankly, I'd take Allen again in a heartbeat; you need guys like him. He's made an impact, both on the ice and in the room. I know goals/assists are a huge thing on here but, if a veteran can lead the club off the ice, that's incredibly valuable.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Campbell brought in for experience. Allen brought in for toughness. Garagan brought in for depth. People don't have to like that, but those are the reasons. Frankly, I'd take Allen again in a heartbeat; you need guys like him. He's made an impact, both on the ice and in the room. I know goals/assists are a huge thing on here but, if a veteran can lead the club off the ice, that's incredibly valuable.

and what is he actually showing as leadership???????
This team has no leaders throughout the year.
Shows on the ice.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
and what is he actually showing as leadership???????
This team has no leaders throughout the year.
Shows on the ice.

Allen is a leader by example eg.. late in the year getting suspended for a couple games and returning then getting kicked out of the next one. Then you have Cuylle fighting late in the 3rd period down a goal. See Allen is setting an example for the players.... We also heard how much of a leader Boka is. The Spits have so much leadership with Allen and Boka they're bound to win a lot.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Hahahahaha...

Sooooo... Shane Wright got Exceptional Status today!

Shocker lol. Seemed to be a given since first month of the season. (if not before)
Kid can play. We will see how he transitions to the O but it was very obvious he wouldnt benefit from another year of min midget.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Allen is a leader by example eg.. late in the year getting suspended for a couple games and returning then getting kicked out of the next one. Then you have Cuylle fighting late in the 3rd period down a goal. See Allen is setting an example for the players.... We also heard how much of a leader Boka is. The Spits have so much leadership with Allen and Boka they're bound to win a lot.

So, because Cuylle fights and Allen isn't allowed to go when there would have been no suspension... that makes him a bad example? Hahaha, sure. I think that translates into "I hate Allen and nothing will change my mind."

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Shocker lol. Seemed to be a given since first month of the season. (if not before)
Kid can play. We will see how he transitions to the O but it was very obvious he wouldnt benefit from another year of min midget.

I'm eager to see how it ends up. Part of me wants to see him in Flint, as we'll see him 6-8x a season.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So, because Cuylle fights and Allen isn't allowed to go when there would have been no suspension... that makes him a bad example? Hahaha, sure. I think that translates into "I hate Allen and nothing will change my mind."

but that shows leadership by Allen?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Not surprised you missed the point. When Cullye sees Allen as an OA take a ridiculous suspension that's a poor example. Cuylle goes out and fights down a goal and he's maybe your best goal scorer? None of this stuff helps the team, sends a message or moves the needle. You spout this narrative about leadership about every OA and 19 year old as if there is great leadership with this group. In your world if leadership equaled wins this team would have 50 wins by now.

Reactions: aresknights

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Not surprised you missed the point. When Cullye sees Allen as an OA take a ridiculous suspension that's a poor example. Cuylle goes out and fights down a goal and he's maybe your best goal scorer? None of this stuff helps the team, sends a message or moves the needle. You spout this narrative about leadership about every OA and 19 year old as if there is great leadership with this group. In your world if leadership equaled wins this team would have 50 wins by now.

Could be Cuylle made up his own mind and fought because he wanted to? Nothing to do with Allen. Cuylle does have a physical element to his game as was shown last year in Midget. As for Allen I would take that guy again in a heartbeat!! He is a solid stay at home defenseman, has been invited to the St. Louis Blues rookie camp more than once, shows a lot of potential, would not be surprised if the they sign him at the end of the season. Last nights "staged fight" misconduct was BS!! Totally stupid call on a really stupid Branch rule!!

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Could be Cuylle made up his own mind and fought because he wanted to? Nothing to do with Allen. Cuylle does have a physical element to his game as was shown last year in Midget. As for Allen I would take that guy again in a heartbeat!! He is a solid stay at home defenseman, has been invited to the St. Louis Blues rookie camp more than once, shows a lot of potential, would not be surprised if the they sign him at the end of the season. Last nights "staged fight" misconduct was BS!! Totally stupid call on a really stupid Branch rule!!

I just don't get what's achieved by fighting some plug when your team is down a goal. I don't have anything personal against Allen I just think this year on D hasn't been an overall plus. Starikov left, Stevenson doesn't have much of a future beyond another month here, Allen is an OA. You have a few holes on D to solve and beyond Robinson they don't have any other guys in the pipeline. If we are talking rebuild we need to have more answers than questions moving forward.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I just don't get what's achieved by fighting some plug when your team is down a goal. I don't have anything personal against Allen I just think this year on D hasn't been an overall plus. Starikov left, Stevenson doesn't have much of a future beyond another month here, Allen is an OA. You have a few holes on D to solve and beyond Robinson they don't have any other guys in the pipeline. If we are talking rebuild we need to have more answers than questions moving forward.

I understand what you are saying, but I was only speaking of Allen. I know all about this years issues, and yes there is quite a list to get this team back on track, I agree, but at this stage in the game I really don't feel like over analyzing the the damage, it is what it is and I am looking forward to the off season. Mark Woolley is far from a "Plug" He is a solid defenseman!! The Spit's would be so lucky to have Woolley!! Also he is a 2001 and has been tough as nails since his rookie season. Fighting a guy when you are down a goal is not new, at times it can fire up your team!.....Maybe not in the Spit's case lol

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Allen is a scrapper. You're assuming that Cuylle is going "oh, he fights so I must fight" but that's not the case. Cuylle has been physical and more than willing to get involved all season. Heck, he's had as many fights as Allen and he gets involved in rough stuff almost every game.

Do I LIKE Cuylle fighting in that specific situation? No. Am I going to blame Allen for setting a bad example? Of course not.

Where have I said this group has "great leadership"? Allen has been a plus for us. No denying that. That's as far as I've gone.

Allen fought Woolley because that's what a leader does - stand up for his teammates. Whether people liked that specific time or the result is irrelevant. It happened. I'd take a veteran defending a teammate in that situation every time. If we lose, it's not cause of that.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
If I read the Playoff tiebreaker formula correct, if Windsor and Erie tie for 8th, there will be a 1 game sudden death on Tuesday, March 19. I project the game will be in Windsor. The home team will be the team that has the highest total of regulation and overtime wins. Windsor currently has 23, while Erie has 20.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

the refs called the penalty right.
That is the definition of the rule.
Back in the day nothing like that would be called. However the game has changed.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I understand the rule, I just don’t like it.

Two guys wanted to go, they went.

No instigators, not following a big, no third man in, didn’t start a line brawl... just two guys fighting. 5 Minutes and 5 Minutes is what it should be.

From a “safety” standpoint, I find it better for two willing guys ready to go, stepping out of the box, off the bench, at the drop safer. It’s not pushing, shoving, helmets pushed up, off balance let’s drop the gloves now.

I find it more dangerous when there’s a scrap in front of the net, someone gets a face wash, someone gets put in a headlock, then they fight on impulse, leaving more room for the helmet to be in the wrong position, falling awkwardly and concussion.

I miss the early/mid 2000s so much.
There was something special about guys dropping their gloves at the drop, taking off their elbow pads, setting their helmets down and just going. Yada-yada, the games changed, it’s not the same, they can’t do that anymore. I know, I know. But it was fun! And the OHL attendance was better than too

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not really there are some people here that believe the culture is rotten. We haven't seen a lot to debunk that. The 19 year olds on this team haven't provided enough to make a difference with this team so it isn't far fetched to believe that Purboo/Boka back as OAs aren't likely enough to make that impact to make this team real good. The import draft hasn't been very good to this franchise over the past 8 seasons with the exception of Khoklachev and Sergachev. In general I think there is a fair bit of skepticism currently and I don't think you can blame the fans. Yes Cuylle and Foudy have made impacts as 16 year olds. Unfortunately you look at acquisitions like Campbell/Allen/Garagan and you have to wonder why. What did the organization see in guys like this? They are 2 OA's and one 19 year old and they have hardly made the impact you want. The Spits have 5 20 goal guys and a solid rookie in Foudy yet this team is probably 3-4 more forwards away from having depth. Their depth is extremely poor up front and right now the D needs to get revamped. I am just not a believer that you can fix everything in one offseason.
Actually in the OHL you can turn it around in 1 year. Sudbury went from dead last to 2 points out of their division lead and 3rd in their conference. Saginaw went from 8th place in the conference to first in their division and sitting in 2nd in the conference and pushing London for 1st in the conference. This is why fans hang around in down years knowing at some point their team will be back in the mix again fairly quickly. Will Windsor turn it around that quick? Who knows really but it is not impossible.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Actually in the OHL you can turn it around in 1 year. Sudbury went from dead last to 2 points out of their division lead and 3rd in their conference. Saginaw went from 8th place in the conference to first in their division and sitting in 2nd in the conference and pushing London for 1st in the conference. This is why fans hang around in down years knowing at some point their team will be back in the mix again fairly quickly. Will Windsor turn it around that quick? Who knows really but it is not impossible.
Both those teams drafted a NHL drafted euro goalie and had the assets to make moves. But yes anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad