Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
One of the hardest things with this team is they're near the bottom in goals per game. They are going to have 4-5 20 goal guys which is a good thing but after that the supporting cast is clearly lacking.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Looking over the stats:

Angle had 10 goals and 17 points in 67 games last season. He's at 16 goals and 34 points in 45 games now. It's a breakout season.

Foudy has six goals but 35 assists, which leads the team. I'm good with that.

Despite Boka's struggles this season, it's still his second-highest PPG avg. Should have kept him on the third line; better there.

Corcoran has a career-high in goals and points.

Frasca tripled his PPG stat, up to .47 PPG. It's a good sign.

If we can get a system that's more geared towards creating/producing goals, rather than just stopping them, then I can see this team's potential offensively.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Article in the WStar talking about how Incze has basically won the starters job. Incze talks about how it's tough to get into a rhythm when you don't play much. Do I need to point out the irony? I have nothing against Incze at all; great guy and came into a difficult situation. But how do you expect your young goaltender to get confidence up when he does well and you sit him next game? "Congrats on the 40-save effort. You're benched next game." Nope, sorry, not a fan.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Article in the WStar talking about how Incze has basically won the starters job. Incze talks about how it's tough to get into a rhythm when you don't play much. Do I need to point out the irony? I have nothing against Incze at all; great guy and came into a difficult situation. But how do you expect your young goaltender to get confidence up when he does well and you sit him next game? "Congrats on the 40-save effort. You're benched next game." Nope, sorry, not a fan.
Starting to sound like you are losing faith in a head coach.

Reactions: KyGuy9

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
On a side note:
Windsor can not win the division now. Soo has too many points now. lol

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Should we start having a conversation about whether or not Piroinen should return? I said with 20+ games left the most important thing would be is if Piroinen separated himself from the pack and showed he's the goalie of the future. Seems that Incze will be getting the bulk of the work now. Instead of working towards a solution in the future there's still a question mark between the pipes moving forward.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
It's a shame. I honestly think I like Incze in goal over Kari. He's better now, and honestly in two years from now, I think Incze will still be better (I hope not). The difference is Incze will not be with the Spits in two years where Kari could be.

I thought the purpose of Incze was to come in, split the time, so Kari can play, but still have a few nights off here and there. Instead, we trade our starting 99' goalie for... another starting 99' goalie. It's not like we're really making a playoff push here.

Option A: Play Incze, maybe win a couple more games, make the playoffs at 8th seed, bring in playoff revenue.

Option B: Play Kari, likely not make the playoffs, get a Top 4 draft pick, miss out on playoff revenue.

I'll take the Top 4 Pick, and get the guy that could be here for a couple seasons as much work as possible.

I'm just confused I guess. Let's not play the goalie we've hyped up for the future so we can win a couple more games now. And Oh, we're trying to win, but our best Sniper isn't going to see the Ice in OT or take a shot in the shootout.

I try not to get on the coaches, because there's typically much more than what we see on the surface, but I'm beginning to question TL. I just don't know what we're doing...

and Yes, i do think we'll be fine in a couple years for a run, but why not get the guys that will be here the ice time. IMO, getting a guy like Cuylle 3 on 3 time, is just as valuable if not more valuable then getting him playoff experience. Pretty sure the Spits have had more OT games in the last 5 years than playoff games...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Fine... he needs to return.

The question mark for the future isn't on Piiroinen but on TL. You can't take a young goaltender, throw him into the fire after you deal your franchise, then go "oh, you're not performing like he did... you sit." We were spoiled with how quickly DiPietro adjusted in his rookie season and now, when Piiroinen doesn't do the same thing, it's "eh, just sit him." How does anyone expect him to gain confidence? Right now, it should be Piiroinen getting 2/3 of the action with Incze being there to help him along the way.

Set realistic expectations, have him learn from Incze, and play him two-of-three games. He's not going to be DiPietro this season, clearly, but we know the talent is there. It's his draft season; he didn't come here to sit.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Fine... he needs to return.

The question mark for the future isn't on Piiroinen but on TL. You can't take a young goaltender, throw him into the fire after you deal your franchise, then go "oh, you're not performing like he did... you sit." We were spoiled with how quickly DiPietro adjusted in his rookie season and now, when Piiroinen doesn't do the same thing, it's "eh, just sit him." How does anyone expect him to gain confidence? Right now, it should be Piiroinen getting 2/3 of the action with Incze being there to help him along the way.

Set realistic expectations, have him learn from Incze, and play him two-of-three games. He's not going to be DiPietro this season, clearly, but we know the talent is there. It's his draft season; he didn't come here to sit.

I agree. Unless we plan on making a run with some other goalie we have that I'm not aware of... I get it would suck for Incze. Being brought over in hopes of playing more, playing great and then being sat as well. But the Spits need to look at whats best for the future of the organization. Hopefully, Incze can take the games he gets, show his stuff and end up at the next level in some form or another. But he should be having 1/3 games to do so. I'd be okay with Incze playing 40% of the time honestly. Just Kari should be getting the work load. I haven't been extremely impressed by Kari, which is why I think he should be seeing more games. Anybody know the odds on Medina reporting? He's an 02, right?

Reactions: OHLTG

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Should we start having a conversation about whether or not Piroinen should return? I said with 20+ games left the most important thing would be is if Piroinen separated himself from the pack and showed he's the goalie of the future. Seems that Incze will be getting the bulk of the work now. Instead of working towards a solution in the future there's still a question mark between the pipes moving forward.
Ya going from a TL supporter to WTF is me in a nutshell. I was actually thinking this as well.

Either we play him 2 of 3 or somebody better be doing some heavy scouting somewhere. He may chose not to come back and then what? His draft stock is low and the only way for it to go up is to play and improve. When he was drafted our US draft pick saw the light and bolted. There is a bit of a sticky wicket between the pipes. Play the kid and take your medicine for me is the only option at this point, but I'm sure that won't be the route as we have seen so far.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I agree. Unless we plan on making a run with some other goalie we have that I'm not aware of... I get it would suck for Incze. Being brought over in hopes of playing more, playing great and then being sat as well. But the Spits need to look at whats best for the future of the organization. Hopefully, Incze can take the games he gets, show his stuff and end up at the next level in some form or another. But he should be having 1/3 games to do so. I'd be okay with Incze playing 40% of the time honestly. Just Kari should be getting the work load. I haven't been extremely impressed by Kari, which is why I think he should be seeing more games. Anybody know the odds on Medina reporting? He's an 02, right?

I get that Piiroinen has allowed some softies but one big issue this season has been the defence. We've literally gone from "DiPietro has bailed out his defence many times" to "Piiroinen isn't making saves with this D." We can't have it both ways. Give Piiroinen the net and, if he can't find his footing, so be it. We're not making a run this season, probably not even winning a playoff round, so why not let him find his game? There's nothing to lose.

member 71782

I think it's a fair discussion, he's not going to be a first round pick and ranked 18th for NA goaltenders it's quite possible he doesn't get drafted which makes the decision critical.

While you can't wipe away the season up to this point with 13 games to go they have to take from this point forward and examine it in a bit of a bubble.

Will they give him 8 of 13 starts?

If so can he pull off an ave of between 3.00 to 3.25 in those 8 games compared to 4.24 now?

Can he have a sv% of at least .900 for those 8 games compared to .873 now?

Can he complete at least 7 of those 8 games?

That would show significant improvement and with the way the team is playing an ability to give the team a fighting chance.

While the numbers themselves won't tell the whole story they do give a basic overview showing the ability to improve.

If the team won't give him 8 games then at this time they don't have the confidence in him.

If he doesn't get drafted after being somewhat highly touted does he want to come back?

With all the holes in the line up Windsor needs to decide, take two imports and deal with goaltending through other avenues or keep him and fill the other holes through other avenues.

If he starts 1 of the next 3 I don't think he's back. If he starts and completes 2 with a decent showing then the jury is still out.

Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think it's a fair discussion, he's not going to be a first round pick and ranked 18th for NA goaltenders it's quite possible he doesn't get drafted which makes the decision critical.

While you can't wipe away the season up to this point with 13 games to go they have to take from this point forward and examine it in a bit of a bubble.

Will they give him 8 of 13 starts?

If so can he pull off an ave of between 3.00 to 3.25 in those 8 games compared to 4.24 now?

Can he have a sv% of at least .900 for those 8 games compared to .873 now?

Can he complete at least 7 of those 8 games?

That would show significant improvement and with the way the team is playing an ability to give the team a fighting chance.

While the numbers themselves won't tell the whole story they do give a basic overview showing the ability to improve.

If the team won't give him 8 games then at this time they don't have the confidence in him.

If he doesn't get drafted after being somewhat highly touted does he want to come back?

With all the holes in the line up Windsor needs to decide, take two imports and deal with goaltending through other avenues or keep him and fill the other holes through other avenues.

If he starts 1 of the next 3 I don't think he's back. If he starts and completes 2 with a decent showing then the jury is still out.
When he played in Sudbury he was lights out so we know it is there - just let him play more and find that consistency.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So as the Spits sit tonight
Negative - Spits have won one game in their last 10.

Positive - Spits are 5th in the league in PK . There is always a shining light somewhere:thumbu:

member 71782

When he played in Sudbury he was lights out so we know it is there - just let him play more and find that consistency.

I agree. I like the kid's potential and the way the goaltending rotation started was decent. Even when DiPietro was moved they handled it fairly well the first couple of weeks.

Unfortunately I don't think coaching and management have been on the same page for a while. Letowski is likely coaching like his job depends in it, even with some of the questionable decisions while Rychel's apparent unwillingness to give him all he needs is focused beyind the end of the season.

A coach that prefers vets has a 19 year old goaltender who's always wanted a starting job, he's going to do whatever he thinks will get enough wins to get them in the playoffs, developing kids is becoming secondary.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So as the Spits sit tonight
Negative - Spits have won one game in their last 10.

Positive - Spits are 5th in the league in PK . There is always a shining light somewhere:thumbu:

Another negative and positive
Spits are 7-17-2-3 on the road for season
Positive- Windsor is 1-1-1-2 in their last 5 road games.
In fact they have now played 5 of the last 6 games on the road,coming up 6 of the next 7 at home.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A coach that prefers vets has a 19 year old goaltender who's always wanted a starting job, he's going to do whatever he thinks will get enough wins to get them in the playoffs, developing kids is becoming secondary.

This is what scares me. The playoffs are fine but not at the expense of development.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Pinwheels...
Surely you jest. The fan base has no choice in the matter. Complain if you must but your argument will fall on deaf ears. WR will remain as GM as long as he wants.
With 14 or so games remaining little is going to change in Spitty land.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
Should WR step down as GM and bring in new vision for draft? trades?
Or should he stay and continue to make trades and questionable draft picks?

Who should Spitfires interview for GM position? Internal staff or go outside? I acknowledge WR is an owner but maybe he should consider having someone else at GM in fact I don't think the team has an Asst. GM - they are 1 in 5 teams in the OHL with no Asst GM

I'm pretty sure that they have Frank Evola who is asst gm

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad