Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
A total revamping of the leadership group is required. WR can see this, and has no other alternative but to do something about it.........

member 71782

Time for a reset. This has become 2011/12 to 2015/16 all over again with no hosting at the end of it to force the organization into putting a good product on the ice.

This organization has taken their fanbase for granted and the results are becoming clear that simply putting a team on the ice will not drive fan support. Calling out the fans for not wanting to support the team, put a team on the ice that gives fans a reason to show their support. Simply expecting them to hand over their cash because you want them to doesn't work.

This is not likely to be fixed anytime soon and while there are justifications for moving at least half this team they simply don't have the prospects willing to report or the draft picks over the next few seasons to make the changes they need to make.

This will get worse before it gets better unless Rychel can turn into the salesman he used to be a long time ago.

member 71782

What possible advantage did WR having playing a short roster that lacked depth?

Penny pinching/cost savings. When you try to do things on the cheap you have to cut corners. The way top sell it in this business is to say the kids will get development time but the problem is you need to add kids to justify that statement. Most of the kids here were already getting plenty of time, not bringing anymore up or bringing anymore in makes this statement simply about blowing smoke.

Why wouldn't WR be the GM next yr? He wons some equity in the team. I would welcome a change but how is that even possible unless WR has a job locked up in the NHL

He may own part of the team but he still needs to answer to his partners. If things get worse and not better when you are putting the plan forward partners will not always remain sup[portive, they have their investment to protect.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What possible advantage did WR having playing a short roster that lacked depth?

The only advantage would be not signing a player or 2 and in the process not having to start the education package process for the player. In other words it's probably more financially motivated rather than any other reason. Unfortunately in the process it has made the team look rudderless.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
With Wright getting status that pushes the only real solid top ten D man that wants to play OHL down a spot at least in the draft which could be huge for windsor! WR isn’t going anywhere lol. As far as the short bench there’s more than just money involved. You gotta have the players in B that can be close to this level, we don’t. Do you want to expose guys to the atmosphere of the team right now...? Some kids may have the talent but lack in maturity or size. There’s a number of reasons why he chose to run short.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's just your opinion. A lot of people of have opinions but none of your opinions have anything to do about how the Spits get to be a better franchise. I'm not surprised though.

Which part of my post are you referring to? The staged fight part or the "it's not all horrific" part? Seriously, I have no idea what this is about lol

Nowhere do I find anything about staged fights except in the WHL

The OHL's new rules against "staged" fights and what they mean to the NHL - TheHockeyNews

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Penny pinching/cost savings. When you try to do things on the cheap you have to cut corners. The way top sell it in this business is to say the kids will get development time but the problem is you need to add kids to justify that statement. Most of the kids here were already getting plenty of time, not bringing anymore up or bringing anymore in makes this statement simply about blowing smoke.

He may own part of the team but he still needs to answer to his partners. If things get worse and not better when you are putting the plan forward partners will not always remain sup[portive, they have their investment to protect.

In regards to your last paragraph that's how big business should work. Yes Rychel has done some great work with the Spits. On the flip side what we have seen from 2012-to the present there aren't a lot of GM's that would still have their job after this. Rychel is always good for a sound bite but where is he now??? I don't think anybody believes he will actually be fired but Rychel needs to own all of this as well.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Which part of my post are you referring to? The staged fight part or the "it's not all horrific" part? Seriously, I have no idea what this is about lol

The OHL's new rules against "staged" fights and what they mean to the NHL - TheHockeyNews

When you said that's not how this works. Last night was an actual atrocious performance. When you consider they talk about playing for seeding. They hadn't played since Sunday and come out with that type of effort?? Yes it's real bad and these same players you're counting on in the future are putting forth a performance less than worthy of being a building blocks for the future. This is how they come out after a bad performance against Kingston???

member 71782

What player changes would you recommend? How do you propose it be done?

Between June 1st and the deadline I would move all 99s/00s for various reasons.

Some would be to add assets, others just shouldn't be here.

For a team in year 2 of their rebuild they got older instead of younger so hopefully they would replace them all with younger players with two better OAs.

As for players to replace them with, they have to hit on four 03s they can get in their roster next year no later then the deadline.

They have to hit on whatever picks they make in the import draft, 02s who can contribute right from the start.

They have to get at least four of their current prospects, maybe six to make the roster next year and be able to contribute at a level on par with their projected roster spot. Example would be someone who projects to be a top line forward/top pairing D needs to be able to step into that role right from the start. Currently this roster has two players who project for top line roles, the rest are bottom nine and bottom four D.

Now I'm not knowledgeable on prospects so who can step up would be better answered by someone else but if they had no 01s ready to come in after the deadline then development is becoming an issue or players are being overrated. Certainly there are capable players but those seem unwilling to report.

There has to be improvement top to bottom and if they can't get a significant influx of talent for the third year of the rebuild then it's time to take another step back and stockpile assets for the future.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
When you said that's not how this works. Last night was an actual atrocious performance. When you consider they talk about playing for seeding. They hadn't played since Sunday and come out with that type of effort?? Yes it's real bad and these same players you're counting on in the future are putting forth a performance less than worthy of being a building blocks for the future. This is how they come out after a bad performance against Kingston???

I took a step back and looked at everything in the game. That's how it should work. Not "they lost so everything is horrible." Just like not everything is necessarily peachy if they win. It has nothing to do with not looking at the future; merely looking at the game in its entirety. You don't think Purboo's two goals were good? You don't like them scoring on the PP? Those were both positives and a part of the game, no? It's all good to be frustrated right now; most fans are. That doesn't mean we can't look at everything in a game.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Between June 1st and the deadline I would move all 99s/00s for various reasons.

Some would be to add assets, others just shouldn't be here.

For a team in year 2 of their rebuild they got older instead of younger so hopefully they would replace them all with younger players with two better OAs.

As for players to replace them with, they have to hit on four 03s they can get in their roster next year no later then the deadline.

They have to hit on whatever picks they make in the import draft, 02s who can contribute right from the start.

They have to get at least four of their current prospects, maybe six to make the roster next year and be able to contribute at a level on par with their projected roster spot. Example would be someone who projects to be a top line forward/top pairing D needs to be able to step into that role right from the start. Currently this roster has two players who project for top line roles, the rest are bottom nine and bottom four D.

Now I'm not knowledgeable on prospects so who can step up would be better answered by someone else but if they had no 01s ready to come in after the deadline then development is becoming an issue or players are being overrated. Certainly there are capable players but those seem unwilling to report.

There has to be improvement top to bottom and if they can't get a significant influx of talent for the third year of the rebuild then it's time to take another step back and stockpile assets for the future.

The culture is rotten right now and I know you use the term rebuild loosely but when you're the 7th oldest team in the OHL yes that's right 7th oldest we have to stop saying rebuild. Maybe if people say it enough they will believe it. The teams older than the Spits

Oshawa
Niagara
Guelph
Saginaw
London
Ottawa

Yes people would say their younger players are their most talented but that doesn't mean the team is young.

Everything in your post is bang on but what it also tells me Rychel has absolutely zero room for error. By that I mean if he biffs the import draft either 1 of the picks or if they select 2 this idea of success down the road is only a dream.

One question I would ask is if you're a top prospect and after watching this team would you want to be coached by Letowski???

Reactions: Sec108

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Asking this in general - given there's less than a year difference in "average age" between all of the teams, yet there are almost 1000 GP difference between the highest-and-lowest teams, wouldn't experience be a better number to look at with this club? I've said this before, too - if you take away Campbell and Garagan, both of whom were acquired at the deadline, the Spitfires are near the bottom of the league in experience (they were 2nd last when I last looked a week or two ago). To me, that says more than age, especially when the age gap in the league is so small.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
It looks like another highly touted goalie is coming out of Windsor:
Max Donoso, Windsor Jr. Spitfires (Alliance).
Will he be on the Spits' radar for the upcoming draft?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Asking this in general - given there's less than a year difference in "average age" between all of the teams, yet there are almost 1000 GP difference between the highest-and-lowest teams, wouldn't experience be a better number to look at with this club? I've said this before, too - if you take away Campbell and Garagan, both of whom were acquired at the deadline, the Spitfires are near the bottom of the league in experience (they were 2nd last when I last looked a week or two ago). To me, that says more than age, especially when the age gap in the league is so small.

They are 12th in average experience so not near the bottom either. How did you come up with 2nd last?? You just can't take away those players either. Imagine Ottawa taking away Maksimovich and Chiodo 2 OAs on their team that makes them older as well. London picking up Hancock and Keane makes them older. They wanted their veterans and they got them.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They are 12th in average experience so not near the bottom either. How did you come up with 2nd last?? You just can't take away those players either.

Just because you add two players with large experience doesn't make you an experienced club. Just like if Ottawa or London adds youth doesn't make them less experienced.

More than half of Windsor's roster is in their first or second season. That's inexperience. That's a rebuild.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Just because you add two players with large experience doesn't make you an experienced club. Just like if Ottawa or London adds youth doesn't make them less experienced.

More than half of Windsor's roster is in their first or second season. That's inexperience. That's a rebuild.

If you keep on saying it maybe you will eventually believe it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It looks like another highly touted goalie is coming out of Windsor:
Max Donoso, Windsor Jr. Spitfires (Alliance).
Will he be on the Spits' radar for the upcoming draft?

I would think he's an option. Currently ranked top-5 goaltenders so if the Spits can find a spot in the second or third round, I'm not against it. Frankly, a Piiroinen/Donoso duo would be fun next year.

Reactions: nelli27

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Good catch. I didn't have the draft pick info in front of me. (Unless WR can get a third)

IF there's a rush for G in the second, then I'd grab him. If not, either acquire a 3rd or wait until the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad