Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Agreed and this isn't meant to be negative but it's extremely unlikely every single problem and area can be taken care of and patched up in one year. If it's major system changes I can't see Letowski capable of that we have seen the same stuff since last year. There are excellent coaches that are capable of adapting their systems given the type of talent they have. Those coaches aren't in junior very often though because they get promoted. There are coaches that are given a crop of great talent and win big. We don't know how great those coaches are but they have to be given the credit for keep the ship steered in the right direction. Then you have coaches that are stubborn and try and fit a square peg into a round hole come hell or high water and you keep getting the same results.

Unless Rychel is going to load up and get a ton of talent with limited draft picks available and a sketchy history of hitting large on imports the improvements for next year 85% of it has to come from the current roster.

"Coaches that are stubborn and try and fit a square peg into a round hole come hell or high water and you keep getting the same results."

^^^^This can sum up a lot of the Spit's short comings this season. I understand what you are saying, I don't see it as being negative, it is what it is. The end result is always what your record says it is, it's time for Lewtowski & Company to own up to it, just as every other coach in a similar situation needs to do. It is extremely unlikely every issue can be addressed in such a short time, being as competitive as WR is.......Lewtowski might just have to pull off a hard sell. We will see what happens, no matter what happens changes are needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: aresknights

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
"Coaches that are stubborn and try and fit a square peg into a round hole come hell or high water and you keep getting the same results."

^^^^This can sum up a lot of the Spit's short comings this season. I understand what you are saying, I don't see it as being negative, it is what it is. The end result is always what your record says it is, it's time for Lewtowski & Company to own up to it, just as every other coach in a similar situation needs to do. It is extremely unlikely ever issue can be addressed in such a short time, being as competitive as WR is.......Lewtowski might just have to pull off a hard sell. We will see what happens, no matter what happens changes are needed.

agreed

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A sunk cost is a cost that has already been incurred and cannot be recovered. A sunk cost differs from future costs that a business may face, such as decisions about inventory purchase costs or product pricing. Sunk costs (past costs) are excluded from future business decisions because the cost will be the same regardless of the outcome of a decision.

Letowski and this coaching staff are the definition of a sunk cost. They haven't earned their pay the last 2 years and you can't recoup that cost. Doubling down on Letowski and company is admitting they're more interested in the almighty $$$ than putting the best possible product on the ice.

What was the problem you had with the staff last year,even though Weber was there for a little more then half the season .They finished 9-6-2 last 17 games of the after gutting the team excluding Dipietro gave a tougher team then them Sarnia fits in the playoffs,both teams goals against less then .260,were 20 for 20 on the PK,not one hockey person I talked,fans too were disappointed with last season. A team similar to Windsor missed the playoffs by 13 points,and they didnt trade anybody early ie,Stanley,Luchuk,or didnt have a star like Vilardi out till trade deadline or have a Sergachev leave early with all that and having only 3 players left after cup win,Dipietro, Boka,Purboo, I think they did very well considering.
My feelings re this year well documented, with Dipietro before trading him they were trending up not down,just like last year,before trading Luchuk,going up not down,both years struggled after major shuffles,and so far like last year finishing strong.
Glad you are not my GM,wanting to dump money,with no guarantee of no success.
Now if things are the same this team next year I might change my mind,my feeling is if things do change for the better,you will be the last one to say I rushed to judgement not part of your makeup.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The thing with coaching is that it's not all based on wins and losses. There are systematic issues that aren't being addressed. This leads to frustration and a clear inconsistency.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
What was the problem you had with the staff last year,even though was there for a little more then half the season .They finished 9-6-2 last 17 games of the after gutting the team excluding Dipietro gave a tougher team then them Sarnia fits in the playoffs,both teams goals against less then .260,were 20 for 20 on the PK,not one hockey person I talked,fans too were disappointed with last season. A team similar to Windsor missed the playoffs by 13 points,and they didnt trade anybody early ie,Stanley,Luchuk,or didnt have a star like Vilardi out till trade deadline or have a Sergachev leave early with all that and having only 3 players left after cup win,Dipietro, Boka,Purboo, I think they did very well considering.
My feelings re this year well documented, with Dipietro before trading him they were trending up not down,just like last year,before trading Luchuk,going up not down,both years struggled after major shuffles,and so far like last year finishing strong.
Glad you are not my GM,wanting to dump money,with no guarantee of no success.
Now if things are the same this team next year I might change my mind,my feeling is if things do change for the better,you will be the last one to say I rushed to judgement not part of your makeup.

u changing your mind?
again stating players that are not valid anymore.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The thing with coaching is that it's not all based on wins and losses. There are systematic issues that aren't being addressed. This leads to frustration and a clear inconsistency.

The area seems to be the power play at issue,so taking it further Sudbury who is tied for 2nd overall in the East, has the 20th PP in the league under Cory Stillman, they were also 20th last year, but last in the East overall infact ,should he and his staff be gassed because they struggle alot on the PP,its only 1 area for me most important area,is goaltender,a star can have his team go a long ways,look at Kitchener, #1 on the PP,but not in top 8 in standings league wide.

member 71782

So lots of discussion today, trying to go through some of this.

Legend

Yes, you and I frequently disagree on things, no problem with that.

So in terms of people being frustrated with last year and this year, IMO it's not due to lack of wins although for some that may be the bottom line for others it's been about the lack of progress. A rebuilding team is going to struggle, no problem but when there are ongoing issues that go far beyond a poor PP and they continue from one season to the next and then throughout that entire season there is serious problems that need to be resolved.

As many have said they would be happy to see a team that competes every night, not happening as often as it does.

Fundamentals are lacking and not being corrected.

Systems that don't work are continuously employed constantly.

Player used in situations that do not suit their game yet they keep getting paraded out there and those who have been doing well get tossed on a line with them.

Lack of focus on development, if you are going to struggle get the kids development time, especially when they have been leading the way.

Lack of direction in terms of moves, bring in older vets when the team is still selling off and should be getting younger. On top of that bring in vets who don't do much for the team now so this fails to address the now and the future. Not much rebuilding happening with moves like that.

Fail to fill a roster for months at a time.

There is more but those are the most common ones so as you can see, it's much more then the PP.

Yes this falls on the players, the coaches and the GM, all have contributed to the problems and not many are doing anything about it.

Hopeful for the future? Yes, to a point. Earlier in the season I said if things kept up I could see this turning into 2011/12 to 2015/16 again, six years or so of futility and as of right now, regardless of the young talent what did we see back then that any different from we are seeing now?

Goaltending issues? Yep.

Lack of development for the kids or getting younger kids in to develop? Yep.

Lots of apparent favourtism towards certain players at the expense of others? Yep

.Lots of injury related issues with no apparent way to deal with the lost bodies? Yep.

Lots of wash/rinse/repeat in terms of doing the same thing over and over again with the same result and no one trying to correct it or try something different? Yep.

We have some talented young kids, just like we did in those years as well and in those years a number of them saw their best years wasted here or they were moved out to restock assets that were used when it was the least optimal time to use them.

So we have players/coaches/GM all deserving of a share of the blame. Now we know the GM isn't likely going anywhere although if it were anyone else simply hired to do the job chances are they would have been gone before 2016/17 ever arrived. The players, while some can be moved you aren't going to turn over an entire roster in an off season so while some changes can be made with only two players graduating even moving the ones who I and others feel need to be moved you're still looking at 5/6 players who should be moved over the off season with a couple of others at the deadline barring a miracle turnaround in the first half next year.

That leaves the coaches. The ones who handle the on ice systems, keeps the players in line and moving forward in their development and the ones who need to provide results. While it may be an expensive bill to move on from them and yes, there are no guarantees anyone else who comes in will be better but that bill can be paid now or the organiozation can keep dealing with further drops in STHs, walk up sales and of course the corresponding merchandise sales drops when there are less and less fans showing interest and spending their money. Now attendance and likely merchandise have been dropping almost every year since 2011/12 and as the organization is likely realizing once fans leave it's tough getting them back so they can pay the bill now or lose the ongoing revenue year after year that there is no guarantee they recover until they can consistently show a good product worthy of fan support. The fans that have gone, there not coming back for this mess. Many left between 2011/12 and 2015/16 and won't go through that same mess again when everything up to this point is pointing in that same direction. Are they willing to lose more fans/money to save money and if so how much ongoing revenue is worth saving that money they would lose moving on from the current coaches?

Here's a basic number, 500 STHs at $450 a year. That's $250,000. If the nu,mber you put out is correct that 500 more STHs not coming back for two years lost to save the exact same amount. That doesn't include merchandise or walk ups. The problem is no matter what the team does half of those fans likely never return while others probably wait four or five years to see if any success is a one off or is something consistent.

What's the cheaper option?

Lose that money now while trying to improve the situation or lose half of it every year for years to come which amounts to a whole lot more money out the door. How much money did 2011/12 cost the organization over the long term for the poor way they did things in those years? How many STHs and walk ups did they lose that never came back? And now they are willing to make the same mistakes?

To the goaltending.

Piiroinen I suspect isn't going to be back next year by the way things appear to be going. If I were him, took this chance and the way things have been handled potentially cost me being drafted I sure wouldn't be interested in a return trip. at the same time while he has needed to be better without question in a rebuilding year the team needs to be prepared to take their lumps along the way so that development becomes the priority and the goal of future success is obvious which has not been the case this year. Your not going to develop a goaltender with inconsistent strats and always looking to pull him the first sign of trouble.

If they moved on from him, he never returned etc Running with Incze as an OA leaves a hole the following year in goal, again. If they are somehow in a position to make a run two years from now they will be starting with no clear cut starter if Incze starts and completes the season here next year so once again instead of developing Rychel will be back to trying to buy all the main pieces he needs for a run and we will be back in this positioon again the following year.

At the start of last seaosn we all thought goaltending was not going to be an issue, two goalies coming up behind DiPietro to take over when he moved on and by mid season that was obviously not going to happen. Now we have two completely different goalies and next year or the year after Windsor will be in need of two more, a clear starter and a capable back up. and if they are planning on a run the year after and looking for two goaltenders then id on't see a run happening at that point in time.

Yes we disagree on a lot of things, we are both optimistic to different degrees about the future, you more all in while I am extremely cautious when we are seeing the same things playout that we've seen before and not many of them are positive. There is talent to be positive about but even with that talent the on ice product is going in the wrong direction and that's not simply about wins and losses.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I see things clearly alot differently then you do,for you it's all about performance ,no allowance for allowing a team to adapt to significant changes in roster,especially compared to teams going for it.
And if coaching is such an issue how do explain for example last year,at the 30 game mark they started the sell off moving Luchuk, they were in 4th place, 1st in the league on the PP,2nd in the league in PK,then moved Brown,Day,Vilardi,even though he didn't suit up here,Mceneney, wound up 6th,dropped in PP and PK,especially PP.
My point being when Letowski had more talented players they were right there and not trending downwards, this year somewhat similar, they were trending upwards when Dipietro was dealt, and that was irrespective of a few underachieving players 3 or 4 of them.
Last year after some struggling the last quarter of the season they went 9-6-2 the last 17 games of the season, this season I am seeing similar things last quarter of season,the the team has adapted better and better,they are on on pace to scoring more goals then
last year,goaltending has come around, see only brighter days ahead.

You "see things clearly, alot differently than you" Pretty condescending remark to one of the most respected, neutral, well spoken posters on Spits site n HF OHL boards in general. You just keep upping the anti. And you claim to be above the "toxic" comments, petty insults.... But more n more you are leaning on it.

Why didnt their last 1/4 of season last year, you were so impressed with, lead to an improvement this year? Oh ya cause they traded 1 player this year as oppossed to 5/6 top end players last year.
Your words " the team isnt 1 player" .....so why hasnt Windsor improved this year over last esp with your super positive review of last 1/4 season? I doubt we get a response. And why do so often reference the "one" player. You love playing both sides of a fence to try n help your arguement. ( which it doesnt....it only shows your prejudice, selectiveness, bias)

Similarly you expect them to "contend" next year and go on a run the year after. ( just like you posted they would compete with London this year n next..... Something you fail to post when trying to show Razor, W7 etal how often you are right...) Just keep moving goalposts to you getcit right and than lean on it and try n throw it out ad nauseum as why you so smart.

You praised the pick of import goalie ( which forced an early US pick G to bail after spring skate) and belittled any1 who questioned it. In HL speak. Hows that working out for ya? Seems like a bad move so far. Waste of 2 assets. ( but ya it could change )

Last edited:
Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Why didnt their last 1/4 of season last year, you were so impressed with, lead to an improvement this year?

Similarly you expect them to "contend" next year and go on a run the year after. ( just like you posted they would compete with London this year n next..... Something you fail to post when trying to show Razor, W7 etal how often you are right...)

I said they would compete with London if Formenton and Bouchard did not return,didn't expect Boquist and Cotter as gifts,and then London goes out and gets Keane and Hancock,huge difference,those 6 players not there happy to take them on,we will see what happens next year.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Erie lost tonight which helps out Windsor a bit.
Erie still has 2 games in hand.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Why didnt their last 1/4 of season last year, you were so impressed with, lead to an improvement this year?

Similarly you expect them to "contend" next year and go on a run the year after. ( just like you posted they would compete with London this year n next..... Something you fail to post when trying to show Razor, W7 etal how often you are right...)

In answer to your opening question, I didn't expect poor seasons from Macdougall, Starikov, Morgan, losing Larionov,who finished so strong the 23 games of the season,having said that, they were on upswing when Dipietro got dealt,and just like last year struggled after key players being dealt,then recovered to finish strongly,I see things repeating again,team has been surprised how Piironen has played since Dipietro left,and not in a good way ,fortunately Inzce who struggled as well as come on,so has the team.
My faith in this team moving forward has not wavered despite unfortunate setbacks, the youth on this team 18 and under will lead the way.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
In answer to your opening question, I didn't expect poor seasons from Macdougall, Starikov, Morgan, losing Larionov,who finished so strong the 23 games of the season,having said that, they were on upswing when Dipietro got dealt,and just like last year struggled after key players being dealt,then recovered to finish strongly,I see things repeating again,team has been surprised how Piironen has played since Dipietro left,and not in a good way ,fortunately Inzce who struggled as well as come on,so has the team.
My faith in this team moving forward has not wavered despite unfortunate setbacks, the youth on this team 18 and under will lead the way.

players that are not on this team fault again.
hmmmm.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
players that are not on this team fault again.
hmmmm.[/QUOT

If said players played to their abilities ,unlikely they would have been moved,more wins early on,when others such as Douglas,Damico struggled early,but got it together, Purboo too,that's one, difference, if those players had got it together,likely more success, at the end of the day,main reason like last year,key players dealt, brief fall back,and now coming on.
It stings when a team is on an upswing,that deals are made happened last year,happened again this year,and you should know by now when trading older, star players you dont get immediate dividends, suppose to pay off later,not sure why so hard to understand.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Through 57 games Spits are the following
2-11-1 against London,SSM,Ottawa,Niagara,all 1st place teams going for it.
And Windsor is 0-6 against these teams excluding Ottawa since Dipietro was moved
Windsor is 9-6 against,Saginaw, Guelph,Sudbury, and Oshawa,all 2nd place teams,and they are all going for it too,except maybe Oshawa.
Against the other 11 teams in the league,Spits are 12-11-2-3,including a record of 3-5-0-1 against the other 6 teams from the East.
Spits are 5-11-0-1 against the East overall and have 3 games with that conference remaining, all at home btw,vs Peterborough, North Bay and Kingston.
Spits are 9-6-2-2 against the other 5 teams in the West,Kitchener, Sarnia,Owen Sound,Erie,Flint,and have 5 games remaining against these teams,with 3 of them at home.

Reactions: three dog night

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
all teams make trades every year.
but using them as a excuse is lame.

Factors not excuses ,when a tears down big difference then when a team builds up,that's jr hockey cycles unlike NHL,those who know Jr hockey get it,those who argue for the sake of arguing dont.
Windsor built up in 16/17 by adding Addison, Day,Bracco, Knott plus others and won a national championship ,their goal
Now the opposite finished the teardown with the Dipietro trade,that's not an excuse but hockey reality. Short term pain long term gain

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Factors not excuses ,when a tears down big difference then when a team builds up,that's jr hockey cycles unlike NHL,those who know Jr hockey get it,those who argue for the sake of arguing dont.
Windsor built up in 16/17 by adding Addison, Day,Bracco, Knott plus others and won a national championship ,their goal
Now the opposite finished the teardown with the Dipietro trade,that's not an excuse but hockey reality. Short term pain long term gain

Just excuses.
we have heard your explanation before.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I said they would compete with London if Formenton and Bouchard did not return,didn't expect Boquist and Cotter as gifts,and then London goes out and gets Keane and Hancock,huge difference,those 6 players not there happy to take them on,we will see what happens next year.

Selective memory HL ;) .
Your original posts to me n this subject did not include these disclaimers. But sure, get on the bike n back pedal lol.
Been thru this before. But whatever. I responded to you n your post and then you got on the horse lol. Its all publc. If ya wanna go back n see how often your biased posts have proven incorrect we can.

But ya really should slow down on yoir posts attacking others or claiming you know all...... Lots of posts we can repost from you where you are 100% wrong.

The board should be about discussion. Regardless of the side of fence you sit on. You claim you dont like the toxicity. Be part of the solution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad