Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The one really good thing about Incze playing well is he is probably increasing his trade value a bit.

Would not shock me assuming he controls his strong play the rest of the way,he wont be dealt unless someone can play better.

member 71782

Windsor is 2-11-1 against the 1st place teams in the league, all of them going for it,and 0-6 since Dipietro has been gone.
They are 21-17-2-3 against the other 15, teams in the league,including a 9-6 record against all the 4 -2nd place teams in the league.
Record against their own conference excluding London and SSM,teams going for it is 16-10-2-2,and that's including Saginaw 4-4,another one going for it.
As your putting in Kyrou for Sarnia rare display for you as misstating, Kyrou would have been an oa this year,unlike Dipietro.
For me outside our struggles with the 1st place teams,mostly in 2nd half,they are going for it,Windsor isn't, I dont see alot wrong,yes better record against the East and road record,though much better lately, many improved players from last year,promising players this year, for me the future is bright,you want to stay off that train fine with me,to each their own.

So I guess you missed the point about quit using DiPietro as a "factor" for the team's current level of play.

Kyrou had an OA year available and the likelihood of him being here was minimal at best and yes, closer to zero. Do you see Sarnia fans go on and on about how if only they had him and a few others no longer there they would be doing much better or woe is us, we lost some of our best players so we have excuses for our current woes?

DiPietro is 19, a goaltender who was going to be in the league this year but everyone pretty much knew at some point he was going to be dealt, not going to be here for the entire year so using him as a crutch to say things about the difference between having him here and not having him is simply grasping at straws trying to justify the poor results of this team. Would the team have been better or worse this year if he had never played a game for Windsor? Had they been playing this way all year without DiPietro in net how many wins would they have had? Would they be looking up at Flint? Certainly they probably would have had a few more wins with DiPietro in goal all year but everyone knew that had he not been dealt the future of this franchise would have been set back a lot further then it currently is.

You knew, I knew and everyone knew DiPietro was going to be moved so while he gave the Spits a bit of a cushion being here the first part of the year him not being here now has nothing to do with the team that hits the ice and wins or loses based on their play that night. DiPietro is not a factor in Windsor's current situation, using him no longer being here is simply an excuse for the poor performance of the team top to bottom.

The PP was horrendous when he was here and hasn't improved, is that because DiPietro is no longer here? Or is that because the coaching can't figure it out and becomes a major knock against them?

The team struggled in the defensive zone when he was and still struggle in the defensive zone with him gone. Is that because he's not here or simply because the coaching can't figure it out and it becomes a knock against them?

The team has struggled with basic skills such as passing when DiPietro was here and still struggle since he's been gone. Is that because DiPietro is no longer here or is that because the coaching can't straighten things out and it's a knock against them.

DiPietro was one of the best goaltenders to play in Windsor and he bailed this team out on many, many occasions but to simply say well Windsor dealt their best player so their position in the standings will take a hit only because they moved DiPietro was moved is simply making excuses. If the team wasn't ready for it, coaches etc then that's another knock on the coaches. It's been more then two months, if the coaches haven't figured out how to run the team without DiPietro in goal then the coaches need to go.

member 71782

Would not shock me assuming he controls his strong play the rest of the way,he wont be dealt unless someone can play better.

If Incze is back next year Windsor is in big trouble and that's not meant to be a shot at Inzce.

Windsor, in year three of a rebuild with an OA goaltender and no idea what is going on with the future in goal while par for the course for much of the last decade is going to stretch things out for five or six years in terms of rebuilding to a top level organization.

I can see him playing much of the remainder of the season, I would imagine Letowski is personally feeling like he has to perform and show he can do a better job but going into next year with an OA goaltender as your starter? Just creating a bigger mess for the future.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So I guess you missed the point about quit using DiPietro as a "factor" for the team's current level of play.

Kyrou had an OA year available and the likelihood of him being here was minimal at best and yes, closer to zero. Do you see Sarnia fans go on and on about how if only they had him and a few others no longer there they would be doing much better or woe is us, we lost some of our best players so we have excuses for our current woes?

DiPietro is 19, a goaltender who was going to be in the league this year but everyone pretty much knew at some point he was going to be dealt, not going to be here for the entire year so using him as a crutch to say things about the difference between having him here and not having him is simply grasping at straws trying to justify the poor results of this team. Would the team have been better or worse this year if he had never played a game for Windsor? Had they been playing this way all year without DiPietro in net how many wins would they have had? Would they be looking up at Flint? Certainly they probably would have had a few more wins with DiPietro in goal all year but everyone knew that had he not been dealt the future of this franchise would have been set back a lot further then it currently is.

You knew, I knew and everyone knew DiPietro was going to be moved so while he gave the Spits a bit of a cushion being here the first part of the year him not being here now has nothing to do with the team that hits the ice and wins or loses based on their play that night. DiPietro is not a factor in Windsor's current situation, using him no longer being here is simply an excuse for the poor performance of the team top to bottom.

The PP was horrendous when he was here and hasn't improved, is that because DiPietro is no longer here? Or is that because the coaching can't figure it out and becomes a major knock against them?

The team struggled in the defensive zone when he was and still struggle in the defensive zone with him gone. Is that because he's not here or simply because the coaching can't figure it out and it becomes a knock against them?

The team has struggled with basic skills such as passing when DiPietro was here and still struggle since he's been gone. Is that because DiPietro is no longer here or is that because the coaching can't straighten things out and it's a knock against them.

DiPietro was one of the best goaltenders to play in Windsor and he bailed this team out on many, many occasions but to simply say well Windsor dealt their best player so their position in the standings will take a hit only because they moved DiPietro was moved is simply making excuses. If the team wasn't ready for it, coaches etc then that's another knock on the coaches. It's been more then two months, if the coaches haven't figured out how to run the team without DiPietro in goal then the coaches need to go.

I see things clearly alot differently then you do,for you it's all about performance ,no allowance for allowing a team to adapt to significant changes in roster,especially compared to teams going for it.
And if coaching is such an issue how do explain for example last year,at the 30 game mark they started the sell off moving Luchuk, they were in 4th place, 1st in the league on the PP,2nd in the league in PK,then moved Brown,Day,Vilardi,even though he didn't suit up here,Mceneney, wound up 6th,dropped in PP and PK,especially PP.
My point being when Letowski had more talented players they were right there and not trending downwards, this year somewhat similar, they were trending upwards when Dipietro was dealt, and that was irrespective of a few underachieving players 3 or 4 of them.
Last year after some struggling the last quarter of the season they went 9-6-2 the last 17 games of the season, this season I am seeing similar things last quarter of season,the the team has adapted better and better,they are on on pace to scoring more goals then
last year,goaltending has come around, see only brighter days ahead.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I see things clearly alot differently then you do,for you it's all about performance ,no allowance for allowing a team to adapt to significant changes in roster,especially compared to teams going for it.
And if coaching is such an issue how do explain for example last year,at the 30 game mark they started the sell off moving Luchuk, they were in 4th place, 1st in the league on the PP,2nd in the league in PK,then moved Brown,Day,Vilardi,even though he didn't suit up here,Mceneney, wound up 6th,dropped in PP and PK,especially PP.
My point being when Letowski had more talented players they were right there and not trending downwards, this year somewhat similar, they were trending upwards when Dipietro was dealt, and that was irrespective of a few underachieving players 3 or 4 of them.
Last year after some struggling the last quarter of the season they went 9-6-2 the last 17 games of the season, this season I am seeing similar things last quarter of season,the the team has adapted better and better,they are on on pace to scoring more goals then
last year,goaltending has come around, see only brighter days ahead.

why r u still using the past as a crutch?

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If Incze is back next year Windsor is in big trouble and that's not meant to be a shot at Inzce.

Windsor, in year three of a rebuild with an OA goaltender and no idea what is going on with the future in goal while par for the course for much of the last decade is going to stretch things out for five or six years in terms of rebuilding to a top level organization.

I can see him playing much of the remainder of the season, I would imagine Letowski is personally feeling like he has to perform and show he can do a better job but going into next year with an OA goaltender as your starter? Just creating a bigger mess for the future.

This is where we disagree, if Incze is the tender next year,I see no problem moving forward assuming he plays like he has the 10 starts,little difference between winning and losing,would give Windsor a chance to draft 2 Euros,trade Piironen if they don't think he can cut it,and one of Euros drafted could be a goalie,I prefer an 18 year old drafted by NHL team ,or 19 year like Sudbury and Saginaw got,if that's the case can see Inzce moved me I think Windsor will be better and may contend next year,a run year the year after.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
But do you want to use OA spot next year on a goalie? I’m for it if they go ahead and not count goalies as one of 3 OAs. Next year should be the year to find your goalie for future push.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
This is where we disagree, if Incze is the tender next year,I see no problem moving forward assuming he plays like he has the 10 starts,little difference between winning and losing,would give Windsor a chance to draft 2 Euros,trade Piironen if they don't think he can cut it,and one of Euros drafted could be a goalie,I prefer an 18 year old drafted by NHL team ,or 19 year like Sudbury and Saginaw got,if that's the case can see Inzce moved me I think Windsor will be better and may contend next year,a run year the year after.
I wouldn’t want to draft a nhl drafted Euro goaltender unless it is the year we are making a run for OHL title. Gives you time to see if Kari and fix things before then. Unless we get said goalie for more then 1 year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
But do you want to use OA spot next year on a goalie? I’m for it if they go ahead and not count goalies as one of 3 OAs. Next year should be the year to find your goalie for future push.

Preferably not ,would rather have a guy like Piironen be the man, but if not go with the OA.
End of day want to win more games,silence the unfair critics .

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Past used as a context not as a crutch.
Why do u bring past failures instead of success
You like being mostly negative I know

as long as "U" know.
pat yourself on the back!!
why is it negative? Is it because I see things different than u do?
R u saying u r always right and what u say is the "bible"?
Maybe come off your high horse.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
as long as "U" know.
pat yourself on the back!!
why is it negative? Is it because I see things different than u do?
R u saying u r always right and what u say is the "bible"?
Maybe come off your high horse.

Seems like you are riding the same high horse,refuse to acknowledge other people's views.
If I am rigid, I have great company on this forum.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This is what I was afraid of. We had a carousel of goaltenders after Engelage and, once we finally got a steady netminders (DiPietr0, we got used to that. Now, Piiroinen isn't performing as well as DiPietro so we don't bother? Piiroinen needs to play, period. You can't just give him partial games and, when he struggles, toss him aside. Develop him properly so he's here for any title run.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
While I also see better day's ahead for the Spit's, I can't help but think of on going issues currently. I am always happy to see the Spit's get some wins, and would love to see the Spit's pull off another one on Monday, but there needs to be some changes in the off season. TL has gotta go! He is not the guy to lead this team into greener pastures. While I do personally like the guy, as I also do with Webber, it's just the hard facts. I could post a ton of reasons but everyone on here knows the issues. Like I previously posted I am at the stage with this season where I am just wanting to see the Spit's put in a solid effort every game and hope to see certain players continue to progress.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Preferably not ,would rather have a guy like Piironen be the man, but if not go with the OA.
End of day want to win more games,silence the unfair critics .
Usually everyone on here makes valid points about things. It nice to see all the different opinions on things. When the team starts winning and being relevant and i see same negative post maybe i will agree with you. Right now there isn’t much to be pleased about. The young kids shouldn’t be the one leading this team yet they are. No one here says the young core doesn’t have potential to be very good. But you can only say it so much.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
While I also see better day's ahead for the Spit's, I can't help but think of on going issues currently. I am always happy to see the Spit's get some wins, and would love to see the Spit's pull off another one on Monday, but there needs to be some changes in the off season. TL has gotta go! He is not the guy to lead this team into greener pastures. While I do personally like the guy, as I also do with Webber, it's just the hard facts. I could post a ton of reasons but everyone on here knows the issues. Like I previously posted I am at the stage with this season where I am just wanting to see the Spit's put in a solid effort every game and hope to see certain players continue to progress.

I can't see the Spits spending 450,000 in buyout monies owed to the coaches,all 3 have 2 years remaining after this season on their contracts.
And I would not do it anyways.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
This is what I was afraid of. We had a carousel of goaltenders after Engelage and, once we finally got a steady netminders (DiPietr0, we got used to that. Now, Piiroinen isn't performing as well as DiPietro so we don't bother? Piiroinen needs to play, period. You can't just give him partial games and, when he struggles, toss him aside. Develop him properly so he's here for any title run.
The problem lies more with people talking players up and talk about how great they can be so expectations are probably higher then they should be. Then they play and struggle more then they succeed and just makes it worse. It is hard for players to come here from europe at young age and be great right away. The team needs to say this player has potential to be very good but it might take a year or 2 as he is so young. But only way he improves is playing.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The problem lies more with people talking players up and talk about how great they can be so expectations are probably higher then they should be. Then they play and struggle more then they succeed and just makes it worse. It is hard for players to come here from europe at young age and be great right away. The team needs to say this player has potential to be very good but it might take a year or 2 as he is so young. But only way he improves is playing.

Fine in theory,except would you accept loss after loss after loss,while a better goalie sits.
People on this forum have little time for patience, only 1 year or so since the trade off began,culminating in the trade of Dipietro final main piece to moved.
I understand it takes time most dont seem to, expect immediate results
all a process.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

the coaches should of had this a priority.
Guess getting into the playoffs is more important.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I can't see the Spits spending 450,000 in buyout monies owed to the coaches,all 3 have 2 years remaining after this season on their contracts.

If that is the case TL & Company have some serious homework to do!! There has to be MAJOR changes to systems etc. Not to mention a complete change in attitude right across the specture.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think I will throw you a life line and just say you're the same guy that has constantly said you only look to the future and will quit those games of bringing up the past. Nobody here in the last 2 days has brought up the past and here you go bringing up 2017. Now you want to bring up the Hounds. I called you out and said I was never interested in some type of truce or olive branch because what you just did is proof positive that you weren't interested in that.

It would be easier for you just to say you haven't been posting because you don't even get a nibble from the organization anymore. You have zero sources and now you have resorted to playing the gotcha game or the "I know what went on but not apprised to say" game.

For clarity I will let you go on thinking I have no sources.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

While the hype from the team could be lessened a bit, it's also on the fans (both here and at the rink). We were spoiled with DiPietro. Let's not kid ourselves. Anyone coming in after him was going to have issues save for going toe-to-toe with Mikey. I go back to the first game after Mikey was dealt; I literally heard "we want DiPietro!!" in the stand behind me after Piiroinen allowed a goal. If he has a bad game, people want to toss him aside. It CAN'T work like that. Patience is required and I don't get the impression that fans, nor the coaches, have any. If I had my way, Piiroinen plays 80% of the games from here and, if he struggles, so be it. This is his draft year; need to sink or swim on his own. Right now, it feels more like they're putting the boulder on him and going "well, we need to get a higher seed." Nah, you can't do that for the long-term success of both Piiroinen and the team.

Reactions: TheGremlin

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

A sunk cost is a cost that has already been incurred and cannot be recovered. A sunk cost differs from future costs that a business may face, such as decisions about inventory purchase costs or product pricing. Sunk costs (past costs) are excluded from future business decisions because the cost will be the same regardless of the outcome of a decision.

Letowski and this coaching staff are the definition of a sunk cost. They haven't earned their pay the last 2 years and you can't recoup that cost. Doubling down on Letowski and company is admitting they're more interested in the almighty $$$ than putting the best possible product on the ice.

Reactions: aresknights

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If that is the case TL & Company have some serious homework to do!! There has to be MAJOR changes to systems etc. Not to mention a complete change in attitude right across the specture.

Agreed and this isn't meant to be negative but it's extremely unlikely every single problem and area can be taken care of and patched up in one year. If it's major system changes I can't see Letowski capable of that we have seen the same stuff since last year. There are excellent coaches that are capable of adapting their systems given the type of talent they have. Those coaches aren't in junior very often though because they get promoted. There are coaches that are given a crop of great talent and win big. We don't know how great those coaches are but they have to be given the credit for keep the ship steered in the right direction. Then you have coaches that are stubborn and try and fit a square peg into a round hole come hell or high water and you keep getting the same results.

Unless Rychel is going to load up and get a ton of talent with limited draft picks available and a sketchy history of hitting large on imports the improvements for next year 85% of it has to come from the current roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad