Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Well that was ugly.

Piiroinen, while shaky wasn't as bad as the score.

Defensive zone play was pretty bad, as its been most games this season, win or lose. The difference between last night and tonight? Last night Erie played like Windsor has against better competition lately, not very good while tonight Windsor played that way, again.

The team had trouble putting a single pass on another player's stick let alone multiple passes on the same play.

Windsor struggled with any type of puck control let alone establish any type of puck possession game.

Windsor managed to get some shots but as has been the case most of the season, not many high percentage shots.

Not a lot of difference in Windsor's game between last night and tonite but the difference in their opponent's game really decided the outcome. Erie played poor, Windsor looked good, Kitchener played well, Windsor looked bad.

Some individual efforts were noticeable, for good or bad reasons between the two games but all in all, not much difference beyond the score.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Well that was ugly.

Piiroinen, while shaky wasn't as bad as the score.

Defensive zone play was pretty bad, as its been most games this season, win or lose. The difference between last night and tonight? Last night Erie played like Windsor has against better competition lately, not very good while tonight Windsor played that way, again.

The team had trouble putting a single pass on another player's stick let alone multiple passes on the same play.

Windsor struggled with any type of puck control let alone establish any type of puck possession game.

Windsor managed to get some shots but as has been the case most of the season, not many high percentage shots.

Not a lot of difference in Windsor's game between last night and tonite but the difference in their opponent's game really decided the outcome. Erie played poor, Windsor looked good, Kitchener played well, Windsor looked bad.

Some individual efforts were noticeable, for good or bad reasons between the two games but all in all, not much difference beyond the score.

Overall I think it just boils down to an inconsistent team. Last year they weren't good at all at home but fine on the road. This year they're much improved at home and this year they have the 3rd worst record on the road. We can talk bounces etc... overall Piroinen has to be better, defense has to make a more conscious effort to help him out, forwards need to get back.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Overall I think it just boils down to an inconsistent team. Last year they weren't good at all at home but fine on the road. This year they're much improved at home and this year they have the 3rd worst record on the road. We can talk bounces etc... overall Piroinen has to be better, defense has to make a more conscious effort to help him out, forwards need to get back.

Ist part you are partly right,last year up until trade deadline Spits were good on the road,only won 3 road games post deadline,but became much better at home,in fact Windsor finished the last quarter of the season 9-6-2 in their last 17.
Same troubles this season, early this year they were 4-3 at home,and have gone 10-5-1 since,on the road only 6 wins,in fact the Spits are 5-3 in their last 8,4-0 at home and 1-3 on road,and even more to illustrate,on last 12 games Spits are 6-6,they are 5-1 at home and 1-5 on the road.
You are correct everybody from Piironen on down,to the D and forward need to play better,especially on the road.
See I agree with you on occasion, too bad you cant do the same.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
No worries lol. I’m just getting back into things. Haven’t seen a live game in about a month. Lots of confusion still surrounds this group. Not sure y a few more moves didn’t happen. Happy those that did go went frankly. Was hoping to see better every game effort. Piro needs to get his head together. Mental issues destroy many goalies! Been saying for years this D is terrible, still not impressed. Staos is frankly to big for his own good. Heard it’s one reason he’s here, wanted him to be coached away from home. The lesson isn’t sinking in!! If he busts as well it’s gonna hurt the team big.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I like Staios and think he could be really good. On the plus side, he's playing more physical and has already surpassed last season's point totals. On the other hand, something is missing and I don't know if it's not getting the systems or what exactly.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I like Staios and think he could be really good. On the plus side, he's playing more physical and has already surpassed last season's point totals. On the other hand, something is missing and I don't know if it's not getting the systems or what exactly.
Watching the game last night here in the Aud I was really impressed with Staois. He is a smooth skater and can move pucks down he ice proficiently. I thought he stood out.
Foudy and Cuylle will be stars in this league. Really impressed with Cuylle. He looks like a third year player already IMO.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with a loss.
Ugly effort.
Defense was terrible.
The fin wasn't good either.
Offense quiet. At times they tried to be tough guys rather than try to score goals.
Complete 180 from Thursday game. Inconsistency is what this team is.
What will we c on Sunday? Nobody knows which team will show up.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Watching the game last night here in the Aud I was really impressed with Staois. He is a smooth skater and can move pucks down he ice proficiently. I thought he stood out.
Foudy and Cuylle will be stars in this league. Really impressed with Cuylle. He looks like a third year player already IMO.
On Staios. He is pretty good at somethings but there are times he looks a bit lost or gives up a little early on plays defensively like on the 3rd goal last night. He looked like he figured first shot was going in and didn’t tie up the offensive player and he got his own rebound and scored. That’s the issue i have with him.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
As I said Friday morning.
“The Spits will need to play a much better game tonight in Kitchener or they shalt be hammered.”
Someone posted previously regarding the number of games we had left against teams playing .500 % hockey (guessing it was Razor) and last night’s effort on the road against Kitchener was a prime example. They, like Windsor, are not a top team but we just can’t afford to give less than our best effort against respectable teams. You can get away with not playing your A game against the Otters, Flintstones,Fronts and the like but if you try that against top teams most nights you will get beaten. Sunday we play in Saginaw and hopefully we come up with our A game.

Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
“The Spits will need to play a much better game tonight in Kitchener or they shalt be hammered.”
Someone posted previously regarding the number of games we had left against teams playing .500 % hockey (guessing it was Razor) and last night’s effort on the road against Kitchener was a prime example. They, like Windsor, are not a top team but we just can’t afford to give less than our best effort against respectable teams. You can get away with not playing your A game against the Otters, Flintstones,Fronts and the like but if you try that against top teams most nights you will get beaten. Sunday we play in Saginaw and hopefully we come up with our A game.
Yes looking ahead to our next 9 games I just cringe - don't want to be the negative Nelly but it will be a huge effort just to get to 500 in that span. Bright side better draft position.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

Yes you called that one. Playing poorly and winning 5-0 definitely pacifies the team to congratulate themselves looking thru their rose coloured glasses. Kitchener came out of gate and we looked like Tim bit hockey for several minutes. Entire team was not ready to go. Must have been a quiet bus ride to the game because from our goalie out , we were still asleep for several minutes.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think the issue with Staois is that he's not confident in what type of D he wants to be. He skates real well but does a lot of dirty stuff that he sometimes gets called for and other times he doesn't. He's their best skating D he needs to consistently use that to his advantage and stay away from the dirty/cheap stuff.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
Someone please explain to me why our kid line isn’t the first team power play unit. Why do they continually change up a group that is progressing to be a force in this league? I would much prefer that they have time to develop for next year and years to come.
Staois continues to make rookie mistakes and gets caught out of position in his own end. He can look great for a short period and abruptly turns into a turnover machine. He also takes dumb untimely penalties too
The Spits have a nice core of talent but need to hit on the draft and the import draft if they are to contend next year and beyond

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
On the bright side I’m fairly confident the Spits will have a top 10 pick. Top 4 would be great, but I see us making the playoffs. I mean foudy went #10 this year in the draft. Might be a rare case, but I’d take another Foudy ‍♂️. I think Windsor has pretty good scouts and tend to do decent in the draft when given good picks. I think a 6-8 overall pick is likely, which could absolutely result in another top tier player. Really if we have 1, or 2, 2-5th round picks pan out, we’re in good shape IMO.

I mean look at DAmico, I’d take that production out of a 6th round pick any day. I feel the Spits will have a decent draft, and will end up making good runs in 20 & 21

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
On the bright side I’m fairly confident the Spits will have a top 10 pick. Top 4 would be great, but I see us making the playoffs. I mean foudy went #10 this year in the draft. Might be a rare case, but I’d take another Foudy ‍♂️. I think Windsor has pretty good scouts and tend to do decent in the draft when given good picks. I think a 6-8 overall pick is likely, which could absolutely result in another top tier player. Really if we have 1, or 2, 2-5th round picks pan out, we’re in good shape IMO.

I mean look at DAmico, I’d take that production out of a 6th round pick any day. I feel the Spits will have a decent draft, and will end up making good runs in 20 & 21

And let's not forget about arrival of forward Egor Afanaseyev, someone I know asked an NHL scout about Afanaseyev and Michigan State next year,and scouts reply was classic,something like I have better chance of being there then Afanaseyev, its pretty well assumed, Warren figures 99 per cent he will be here.
For a moment let's assume he shows
Here is a look at projected forwards based on that and other discussions I know about.

Douglas,Afanaseyev, Frasca,Foudy,Cuylle, Purboo, Angle,D'amico, Boka,Playfair,Lemmer,McDonald

Others-Kelly,Stevens,Hayes,Ulicny

Keep in mind 1 of the 1st round picks in the Entry or Euro draft could well be a forward though I think Windsor will focus on getting a least 1 D,could get 2
Boka would be back if he continues his latest point production recently, if it reverts back to minimal amounts
I can see him moved,meaning McDonald would slide into top 9 forward group,might anyways.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
And let's not forget about arrival of forward Egor Afanaseyev, someone I know asked an NHL scout about Afanaseyev and Michigan State next year,and scouts reply was classic,something like I have better chance of being there then Afanaseyev, its pretty well assumed, Warren figures 99 per cent he will be here.
Here is a look at projected forwards based on that and other discussions I know about.

Douglas,Afanaseyev, Frasca,Foudy,Cuylle, Purboo, Angle,D'amico, Boka,Playfair,Lemmer,McDonald

Keep in mind 1 of the 1st round picks in the Entry or Euro draft could well be a forward though I think Windsor will focus on getting a least 1 D,could get 2
Boka would be back if he continues his latest point production recently, if it reverts back to minimal amounts
I can see him moved,meaning McDonald would slide into top 9 forward group,might anyways.
Would not be surprised if they try another Euro goalie but a D is likely where they would pick if they are comfortable Afanaseyev is reporting. Gotta feel for Piironen, Pressure has to be on for him to prove he is worth keeping around for next year. Real tough to be a 17 year old goalie.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think the issue with Staois is that he's not confident in what type of D he wants to be. He skates real well but does a lot of dirty stuff that he sometimes gets called for and other times he doesn't. He's their best skating D he needs to consistently use that to his advantage and stay away from the dirty/cheap stuff.
We really don't see the Spits enough here but Staois skating just stood out to me. He seems like a real smooth skater that moves the puck well especially on the PP. I guess all these kids have flaws in their games and the Spits fans notice them more than others watching him at home.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
We really don't see the Spits enough here but Staois skating just stood out to me. He seems like a real smooth skater that moves the puck well especially on the PP. I guess all these kids have flaws in their games and the Spits fans notice them more than others watching him at home.
No denying he has high end skills. His issue is hockey IQ.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Would not be surprised if they try another Euro goalie but a D is likely where they would pick if they are comfortable Afanaseyev is reporting. Gotta feel for Piironen, Pressure has to be on for him to prove he is worth keeping around for next year. Real tough to be a 17 year old goalie.

Keep in mind too Afanaseyev is not a Euro,Russian born American drafted in the OHl draft 2017.
Spits seem to have nice luck lately with 6th rounders,D'amico last year and Angle in 2016.
Afanaseyev might be icing on the cake
Would be funny with him,playing with Angle and D'amico, all 6th rounders lighting things up

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

boka should of been moved already.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I guess if he doesn't show it be no big deal than.

It's no secret in hockey circles that he is expected to by pass Michigan State to play here.
Barring something unforeseen, such as making the NHL team that drafts him I expect Afanaseyev here.
Don't know why you just wont say he would be a great addition period.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I would be surprised if success next year some of it is do in part to their 1st round pick. They obviously really have to hit on the import and that would likely dictate more success. Spits have a late 2nd rounder I would be surprised if he played a lot next year. Still believe that the D needs an overhaul to an extent. We can talk about youth but the decisions and coverage in their own zone is still quite below average considering the game experience they have gotten since the beginning of last year. Starikov/Allen/Stevenson will be gone, Robinson will be plugged in but we are a long ways away from Robinson playing 15-20 min a night. Some thought needs to be given to acquiring a real good OA D. I know fans liked Shankar/Allen but if the Spits are serious about being much improved a big upgrade on D is needed.

Reactions: punch1943
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad